• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

"Tonight", I told myself, "I'll continue the main story a bit. Try and max out my affinity with Valentine. Get ready for Far Harbor."

Instead I did this.

8XT998O.jpg

Tigress

Also, anyone else have the game randomly set your original character to survival from the patch from another difficulty setting?

My original character I was pretty sure I had the game on normal but when I first tried to load her up after the patch (to be fair I started a survival game before I opened her up) the game gave me some thing about how survival had changed and it was changing my level to very hard as it was closest to the old survival. But I'm pretty sure that character was on normal (but maybe I'm wrong. It's been a long time since I messed with game settings, basically I set it at the beginning and didn't mess with it since). I mean my default for any game is normal and then I adjust from there if I want it harder/easier. I hadn't changed it since I started the game. If it was on survival, the health going up slowly didn't seem that noticeable (certainly not even as slow as hardcore mode in New Vegas).

I hope this doesn't mean I can't set my current character on survival since it set me back (I was going to try it on a new character first and if I really liked it I was going to set that character to survival too). Like I worry that that will count as me turning survival off (where you can't go back if you do).

I need some help with Survival mode. So far i enjoy it a lot and I value everything much more than before. I decided to completely start over as well. On my first playthrough I never got to finish the story and plenty of side quests as well.

But right now I am getting slightly annoyed by a few things. I keep sleeping really well, yet I am still seeing insomnia at my status, not only that I also see fatigue and parasites. It says I require more food, but holy shit.... Just seconds ago I ate all my mutt chops and it said i was properly fed. Yet it already says Peckish. So far my only annoyances are that I get thirsty and hungry way too quickly.

I keep requiring more water and food than I am finding/making. What to do about this?

Volimar

I need some help with Survival mode. So far i enjoy it a lot and I value everything much more than before. I decided to completely start over as well. On my first playthrough I never got to finish the story and plenty of side quests as well.

But right now I am getting slightly annoyed by a few things. I keep sleeping really well, yet I am still seeing insomnia at my status, not only that I also see fatigue and parasites. It says I require more food, but holy shit.... Just seconds ago I ate all my mutt chops and it said i was properly fed. Yet it already says Peckish. So far my only annoyances are that I get thirsty and hungry way too quickly.

I keep requiring more water and food than I am finding/making. What to do about this?

You need antibiotics or to be healed by a doctor.

N° 2048

You need antibiotics or to be healed by a doctor.

To branch off this, some tips for the starting;

There is a medbox in one of the Sanctuary houses.
There is a medbox at Red Rocket outside near the coolant pumps.
There is a medbox at the base of the Concord water tower.
There is a medbox (I think) in the random encounter area southeast of the Museum of Freedom.
There is a medbox (I think) in an open house in Concord (come down the hill from Red Rocket, take a left at the intersection, the house should be on the right).
There is a medbox (I think) in the random encounter house just south of Drumlin Diner.
I'm sure there's a medbox somewhere at Starlight.
I'm sure there's a lootable medbox at Drumlin Diner.

Remember all these are random spawns so they might not have antibiotics in them.

Ok thanks guys. Oh and that AP bar, I don't remember it regenerating THAT damn slowly, is that because this is Survival mode? Can I speed it up with a perk perhaps? Because boy.... is it slow.

Ok thanks guys. Oh and that AP bar, I don't remember it regenerating THAT damn slowly, is that because this is Survival mode? Can I speed it up with a perk perhaps? Because boy.... is it slow.

Melee Build w/Blitz and a focus on building Criticals faster + 5 pieces of VATS enhanced Armor, + relentless Melee weapon = Infinite AP.

N° 2048

I forgot about
Ack Ack and her minigun
@ USAF Satellite Station Olivia. Survival Mode made that a tad more challenging :p but two mines took care of the job pretty cleanly.

Finally got Chemist so Antibiotics hopefully won't be too much of an issue now that I can craft them. Also managed to get both merchants @ Drumlin Diner with high enough Charisma so that helps as well.

So now that I got the mini nuke, time to head to the Robotics Disposal Ground and grab that Fat Man to help me take care of Mr. Deathclaw in Concord.
Also since this is my BoS play through those nades will come in handy ;)

Love love loving this mode. Have only been playing Fallout 4 too. My wallet rejoices!!

ALSO this mode has made speech checks (the few ones there are, I know I know) much more nerve wracking as you cannot quick save and retry.

Loving survival mode so much. Especially since I'm actively avoiding using power armor unless I'm really getting the crap kicked out of me. Oh, and I'm unarmed/melee build. Lol Even at lvl 40 I still feel pretty fragile.

Doc_Drop

After a number of what felt like cheap deaths to molotovs, grenades, and Mr Gutsy one-shots I'm pretty much done with Survival mode. It is fun at times and it certainly makes you re-evaluate your approach, but it needed to be available at launch. I think I'd have preferred a more similar mode to hardcore in New Vegas.

Having played through the game already I can't imagine how infuriating the glowing sea would be and I don't even want to think about
Mass Fusion
Bunker Hill
, and
the Institute clear-out

I'm glad it's there though and I'll just play in Very Hard instead. I'm really looking forward to Far Harbour

I'm in the area where you can find the alien and alien blaster, but the wreckage is not there. Is this completely random or do I have to do something? I love that weapon.

Doc_Drop

I'm in the area where you can find the alien and alien blaster, but the wreckage is not there. Is this completely random or do I have to do something? I love that weapon.

Have you heard the crash yet? you need to be over a certain level

edit: You could try
looking in the cave near bye - it might be there regardless

Ah, you'll hear it soon. Maybe level 10 or 12 or something

But I do need to be in that area for that to happen, right?

If my character is thirsty, will things like wine and beer help too or not at all? Because so far I've been managing Decently with empty milk bottles and filling them with purified water, but I am running out of bottles. Too bad you can't just reuse the bottles.

Doc_Drop

If my character is thirsty, will things like wine and beer help too or not at all? Because so far I've been managing Decently with empty milk bottles and filling them with purified water, but I am running out of bottles. Too bad you can't just reuse the bottles.

It'll trigger at the specified level if you're in the open regardless of how far I believe.

On your second point, I really think there should have been a canteen similar to in New Vegas' when the extras were added.

N° 2048

Honestly there are empty bottles everywhere.

You can also build that basic water pump at any settlement and it will hydrate you + fill bottles.

I believe
Alien
is level 15 or 20.

Ok thanks guys. And as for carry weight, except for strong back are there any other things to improve the carry weight? When it's just me and Dogmeat I can manage fine thanks to Lone wanderer but with Piper on my side now I am overencumbered as hell.

Doc_Drop

Ok thanks guys. And as for carry weight, except for strong back are there any other things to improve the carry weight? When it's just me and Dogmeat I can manage fine thanks to Lone wanderer but with Piper on my side now I am overencumbered as hell.
Customising your armour with the deep pockets attachments is well worth it

Customising your armour with the deep pockets attachments is well worth it

Oh that's a good idea. I will do that.

One last thing for now... I just bought the home in Diamond City and I want to build something in here so I can have fresh water whenever I want. But to my surprise I can't build resources here? So much for wanting this home so I can easily fill my bottles when I am here. :(

Doc_Drop

Oh that's a good idea. I will do that.

One last thing for now... I just bought the home in Diamond City and I want to build something in here so I can have fresh water whenever I want. But to my surprise I can't build resources here? So much for wanting this home so I can easily fill my bottles when I am here. :(

Yeah it's definitely a home and not a settlement, but there is a kid nearer the back of Diamond City who sells water and I think you can help clean up the reservoir, I don't know if that benefits or changes his shop's stock however

N° 2048

Yeah it's definitely a home and not a settlement, but there is a kid nearer the back of Diamond City who sells water and I think you can help clean up the reservoir, I don't know if that benefits or changes his shop's stock however

I think he sells more purified water after you do his quest.

I think.

Icefire1424

Hated to do it, but changed difficulty from Survival to Very Hard after the patch hit. Too far along in the game to try to reorganize everything, and adapt a completely different style. Also because I logged in and saw the weight I was carrying to be somewhere around 1,500.

That said, after this playthrough I REALLY want to start over and do a "true" Survival run. Really wish they had that from launch.

N° 2048

Hated to do it, but changed difficulty from Survival to Very Hard after the patch hit. Too far along in the game to try to reorganize everything, and adapt a completely different style. Also because I logged in and saw the weight I was carrying to be somewhere around 1,500.

That said, after this playthrough I REALLY want to start over and do a "true" Survival run. Really wish they had that from launch.

Please do, it was so hard to 'retire' my first playthrough (300hours ish) but I do not regret it all.

I am even going into Far Harbor with my new Survival Mode character. I still go back to my first character to fuck around too.

It's worth a try on a new playthrough.

Doc_Drop

I am even going into Far Harbor with my new Survival Mode character. I still go back to my first character to fuck around too.

Given how my meeting with the Automatron enemies during my brief survival run I get the feeling the Far Harbour enemies are going to be absolute nails in survival. At least there's a good chance there is some design in there with the survival mode in mind

N° 2048

Given how my meeting with the Automatron enemies during my brief survival run I get the feeling the Far Harbour enemies are going to be absolute nails in survival. At least there's a good chance there is some design in there with the survival mode in mind

Great point. I think I remember seeing a tweet by Bethesda saying "get your Survival character ready for Far Harbor bla bla" or something.
That and there is no level requirements, just a very early mission needs to be done to access Far Harbor.

but yea Automatron has me nervous, I am prioritizing BoS quest to get nades and Railroad quest to get Deliverer to help me prep.

What level did you try Automatron on Survival? 15?

Doc_Drop

Great point. I think I remember seeing a tweet by Bethesda saying "get your Survival character ready for Far Harbor bla bla" or something.
That and there is no level requirements, just a very early mission needs to be done to access Far Harbor.

but yea Automatron has me nervous, I am prioritizing BoS quest to get nades and Railroad quest to get Deliverer to help me prep.

What level did you try Automatron on Survival? 15?

Around that, maybe level 20ish. The problem was that as soon as you start it roving groups of higher level robots can be met and your settlement can be attacked by some of them as well. As I said earlier, I was getting one-shot or two-shot deaths from Mr Gutsys, so you can imagine how I fared with the higher level robots. I don't know what would be harder, taking them on whilst at a lower level so that there are less higher level versions of the enemies but you have less stuff to combat them or levelling up/get more gear but be faced with some of the beastlier versions of them.

I'm sure it'll be exciting, I just get frustrated in games when I lose progress in seemingly unfair deaths. I certainly didn't want to take on any higher level assaultrons or sentry bots.

Damn. And there's none of those water pumps here at all in DC?

Volimar

If you're playing survival, don't forget that empty bottles in your junk can be filled to get dirty water if filled from a dirty source and purified water if from a pure source. You could fill some bottles in the watery part of DC and then cook them into purified water if you need to.

Tigress

If you're playing survival, don't forget that empty bottles in your junk can be filled to get dirty water if filled from a dirty source and purified water if from a pure source. You could fill some bottles in the watery part of DC and then cook them into purified water if you need to.

Wait, we can go to DC now? :O ;)

Yeah, survival (at least at low levels) makes empty bottles real great finds. I've already stored in my mind areas that have plenty I can go back for if i need to.

I just hope some one puts out a mod to bring the respawn rate back to normal. I already didn't fast travel before survival and respawn rate was slow imho already. I am a little dreading how bad respawn rate will be in survival.

N° 2048

Wait, we can go to DC now? :O ;)

Yeah, survival (at least at low levels) makes empty bottles real great finds. I've already stored in my mind areas that have plenty I can go back for if i need to.

I just hope some one puts out a mod to bring the respawn rate back to normal. I already didn't fast travel before survival and respawn rate was slow imho already. I am a little dreading how bad respawn rate will be in survival.

Just found 7 empty bottles in that small cave right under Red Rocket where you meet Dogmeat. Hope that helps :)

Oh shit I forgot you can cook it into purified water. Nice!

What can I do to stop being killed so goddamn easy? I decided to visit the Hardware Town shop and I just get one shotted constantly there, while I do have good stuff equipped. My defense is 34, lightning defense is 25 and the radiation defense is 30. But it seems like none of this matters. It's also a problem that the quest info just doesnt tell you if a certain quest is too difficult yet or not. Chances are these guys are a much higher level, but there's no way to know.

Doc_Drop

Yup, one point. I think I'll max this one as well then.

And it's probably a good idea to put some points into Armorer as well.

This is good, but I personally found that the only way of not being one/two-shotted by particular enemies and/or weapons is to kill them first I guess. Med-ex and the perks that stop addiction would be useful also

Also Vault 111 has purified water as well from sinks, so when you start off it's a great place to fill up on purified water.

Top Bottom