• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

N° 2048

Guys just build the basic water pump that costs no materials @ Red Rocket.

It doesn't say "drink" it says "pump" but if you pump it by pressing X (A on Xbox),you drink it and get hydrated.

You can also fill empty bottles at them too and they put Purified Waters into your Workbench.
Great way for caps.

Tigress

Just found 7 empty bottles in that small cave right under Red Rocket where you meet Dogmeat. Hope that helps :)

Heh, I already found that. There's a bunch of bottles in the basement under the house in sanctuary. And there's a speakeasy that has a ton in the nearby town. As I said, I'm keeping track of where I see them around my home base ;). You got to drink a lot of water when you get that thirsty warning before it goes back to being hydrated I find.

I will say they are doing a better job of thirst/hunger/sleep actually mattering than New Vegas did in hardcore. I never actually got too little sleep in New Vegas because I already make a point of sleeping every night for my roleplay. Same with food. Only thirst seemed to ever affect me in hardcore mode. But I did like that the game would eventually enforce it if I went lax. Honestly I think hunger is a little too much (also seems to be that you have to eat more than one thing to make it go away, even when you are eating a Brahmin steak). But I do appreciate that it actually seems to matter a lot more now. I wish they had some recipes like they did in New Vegas (not just cooking meat but actually having to find many different ingredients like sugar bombs and some of them made better healing packs than stimpacks. Also it meant that you got some recipes you had to unlock by finding them/quest rewards).

And antibiotics so far are crazy hard to find. I've found one and I've now searched all of sanctuary and the nearby town. And even the one seller I found (a doctor) didn't have any to buy. It has made me getting a doctor into my Sanctuary settlement a big importance so I'm working towards those perks first.

I still can't decide whether I like not being able to save at all times or not. Part of me really wants that back cause I don't want to keep backtracking but part of me does appreciate that it does make me feel like I need to be more careful. But it's a little more stress than I really like in a game (even if in some ways that is fun). At least for stuff that isn't just killing a few random encounters but like whole long quests like freeing Preston from the building where you pretty much had to do that before you could save.

I think I'd settle for only being able to save when there weren't hostiles nearby (pretty much same conditions you have for when you can sleep). Or even better blank holotapes that aren't common and have some weight so you don't want to carry too many at a time (and you'll not want to use them up frivolously cause they're hard to find). I would actually love that as a save mechanism (with saving at beds also being allowed).

I think I prefer survival for turning fallout more into a survival game (I always thought it would be more fun if it had more survival aspects as well as the rp aspects) rather than a hard challenge to prove yourself/Dark Souls like thing. It also is why I wish they hadn't slowed down respawn rate :(.

Eventually I'm going to decide whether I want to put my first character on survival (the save thing is the biggest reason I wouldn't honestly. But I think that other than that survival might make her more fun to play again and with her level and perks survival would actually not be too hard but still give her a little bit of challenge and make her interesting again).

N° 2048

Heh, I already found that. There's a bunch of bottles in the basement under the house in sanctuary. And there's a speakeasy that has a ton in the nearby town. As I said, I'm keeping track of where I see them around my home base ;). You got to drink a lot of water when you get that thirsty warning before it goes back to being hydrated I find.
And antibiotics so far are crazy hard to find. I've found one and I've now searched all of sanctuary and the nearby town. And even the one seller I found (a doctor) didn't have any to buy. It has made me getting a doctor into my Sanctuary settlement a big importance so I'm working towards those perks first.

I still can't decide whether I like not being able to save at all times or not. Part of me really wants that back cause I don't want to keep backtracking but part of me does appreciate that it does make me feel like I need to be more careful. But it's a little more stress than I really like in a game (even if in some ways that is fun). At least for stuff that isn't just killing a few random encounters but like whole long quests like freeing Preston from the building where you pretty much had to do that before you could save.

I think I'd settle for only being able to save when there weren't hostiles nearby (pretty much same conditions you have for when you can sleep). Or even better blank holotapes that aren't common and have some weight so you don't want to carry too many at a time (and you'll not want to use them up frivolously cause they're hard to find). I would actually love that as a save mechanism (with saving at beds also being allowed).

I think I prefer survival for turning fallout more into a survival game (I always thought it would be more fun if it had more survival aspects as well as the rp aspects) rather than a hard challenge to prove yourself/Dark Souls like thing. It also is why I wish they hadn't slowed down respawn rate :(.

Eventually I'm going to decide whether I want to put my first character on survival (the save thing is the biggest reason I wouldn't honestly. But I think that other than that survival might make her more fun to play again and with her level and perks survival would actually not be too hard but still give her a little bit of challenge and make her interesting again).

I was struggling with antibiotics so I did some side quests to get the Chemist perk. SO worth it...now I don't have to worry about getting to Diamond City too quick. Crafted 6 antibiotics, I should be good so long as I don't take Rads and make sure I sleep.

I recommend it.

Also the plan to use the Mini Nuke from Olivia Satellite and the Fat Man from Robotics Disposal Ground worked perfectly for the Concord Deathclaw (had a skull icon!)

Had one shot and nailed it ;) I let him take care of most the Raiders on the ground. SO much loot there.

Tigress

I was struggling with antibiotics so I did some side quests to get the Chemist perk. SO worth it...now I don't have to worry about getting to Diamond City too quick. Crafted 6 antibiotics, I should be good so long as I don't take Rads and make sure I sleep.

I recommend it.

Also the plan to use the Mini Nuke from Olivia Satellite and the Fat Man from Robotics Disposal Ground worked perfectly for the Concord Deathclaw (had a skull icon!)

Had one shot and nailed it ;) I let him take care of most the Raiders on the ground. SO much loot there.

Ah, what I did was stayed on the roof and let the deathclaw kill the raiders. And then just shot at him from the roof until I got bored cause it was taking too long and cheesed it by jumping down and getting him to chase me to where I could run into that building where he couldn't reach me and kill him with the minigun (it's hard to get an accurate shot from afar with the minigun and the deathclaw kept running behind a building and staying until he couldn't see me when I was on the roof so it was just taking a long time to kill him with what I could get him with on the roof).

I really didn't want to cheese it (I don't mind doing the roof thing cause that feels like good tactics so it doesn't feel like cheesing it) but decided it was getting boring otherwise. I mean I suppose it's also tactics to run into something he can't run into but for some reason that felt more like cheesing it.

But I'm a big fan of find someplace they can't reach you and get them from there for the scary things like deathclaws (I don't run and gun so well). In the quarry in New Vegas I would find a spot high up on the cliff the deathclaws couldn't reach and just snipe them from there to kill them. Also a big fan of stealth and surprise headshots for gameplay in general. My preferred game style in Fallout I think is a very good strategy for survival :).

Doc_Drop

Now here's something I've been wondering. Which companion, if any, should I take to Far Harbour. I'm guessing there's going to be some interesting dialogue to be heard. I might end up making a hard save before going and then repeat run through it for all the possible content. But who goes first?

N° 2048

Ah, what I did was stayed on the roof and let the deathclaw kill the raiders. And then just shot at him from the roof until I got bored cause it was taking too long and cheesed it by jumping down and getting him to chase me to where I could run into that building where he couldn't reach me and kill him with the minigun (it's hard to get an accurate shot from afar with the minigun and the deathclaw kept running behind a building and staying until he couldn't see me when I was on the roof so it was just taking a long time to kill him with what I could get him with on the roof).

I really didn't want to cheese it (I don't mind doing the roof thing cause that feels like good tactics so it doesn't feel like cheesing it) but decided it was getting boring otherwise. I mean I suppose it's also tactics to run into something he can't run into but for some reason that felt more like cheesing it.

But I'm a big fan of find someplace they can't reach you and get them from there for the scary things like deathclaws (I don't run and gun so well). In the quarry in New Vegas I would find a spot high up on the cliff the deathclaws couldn't reach and just snipe them from there to kill them. Also a big fan of stealth and surprise headshots for gameplay in general. My preferred game style in Fallout I think is a very good strategy for survival :).

You know I am thinking of going stealth this run maybe..so far it's been great for Survival.

What are your starting stats for Survival Mode? Mine are S4 P4 E4 C6 I6 A2 L2
Currently @ http://www.levelbased.com/guides/fallout-4/tools/special?build=7f.4!1141!!341.6.7!!352.2

Roleplaying a smart, robotic/techy expert, pistol build. thinking of adding stealth soon and then endgame melee. oh and this is my BoS playthrough.
settlements for sure too, just one main and a couple for resource production.

Now here's something I've been wondering. Which companion, if any, should I take to Far Harbour. I'm guessing there's going to be some interesting dialogue to be heard. I might end up making a hard save before going and then repeat run through it for all the possible content. But who goes first?

Omg I am going to use my first save to go there with every single possible companion haha. For my first time on Survival Mode probably Nick.

N° 2048

ArcJet was intense, ended up using the shortcut. Will come back to loot later.

It is possible to skip the entire first interior section of the ArcJet investigation by using a glitch to go immediately to the Engine Core. As soon as you enter the first hallway, you will notice a collapsed ceiling that appears to have blocked off the hallway to the left. You can actually jump through the small gap, continue around the corner and down the stairs to the right, and you will find yourself at the Engine Core door. This is a good way to save a lot of ammo and time if you don't feel like fighting a lot of synths. The quest continues normally.

Righteous Authority is now mine :)

N° 2048

Oh so now you cheat. Yet my routes image is the line for you?

Are you talking about the image with all the bed locations? How does that compare? What are you talking about?

Have you even seen the space you can fit through in ArcJet? The space actually can fit the character and hasn't been patched out so I wouldn't be surprised if it was left there intentionally to help out Survival Mode users.

/confused

Hip Hop

Is there a way to flip items during construction mode up and down instead of just side to side?

How I dislike forced construction on missions tbh. I don't want to touch that aspect of the game dammit.

Doc_Drop

Any bets on if/when they announce a possible second season of DLC? I would be disappointed if the only additional story DLC was Automatron and Far Habour (not that I have seen the scope of Far Harbour yet). Just looking at what we got with FO3 I hope that there is that same amount of extra content

Any bets on if/when they announce a possible second season of DLC? I would be disappointed if the only additional story DLC was Automatron and Far Habour (not that I have seen the scope of Far Harbour yet). Just looking at what we got with FO3 I hope that there is that same amount of extra content

They will probably announce it at their E3 show. The current rumors are post Far Harbor we will see to more small dlc packs like Wasteland workshop and a large story DLC similar to Far Harbor that will feature Aliens and a base in the common wealth.

Doc_Drop

They will probably announce it at their E3 show. The current rumors are post Far Harbor we will see to more small dlc packs like Wasteland workshop and a large story DLC similar to Far Harbor that will feature Aliens and a base in the common wealth.

I'd be lying if I didn't find that a little disappointing given they already did that with Mothership Zeta. I kind of wondered whether they might go a bit more gothic horror given Salem, or even a time travelling plot with old world Boston.

Edit: Or even utilising the Glowing Sea a bit more

I guess we were kind of spoiled with FO3 DLC and New Vegas DLC

Tigress

I'd be lying if I didn't find that a little disappointing given they already did that with Mothership Zeta. I kind of wondered whether they might go a bit more gothic horror given Salem, or even a time travelling plot with old world Boston.

Edit: Or even utilising the Glowing Sea a bit more

I guess we were kind of spoiled with FO3 DLC and New Vegas DLC

If they don't do the Salem one that is a total wasted opportunity.

Doc_Drop

If they don't do the Salem one that is a total wasted opportunity.

My hopes were up when I first got the investigate Salem quest, and while it was a fun little jaunt, I can't help but want a witch centric cult or something.

I admit though that I'm saying this before I play through Far Harbour, which from the trailer looks deliciously creepy and gives me Point Lookout vibes

I'd be lying if I didn't find that a little disappointing given they already did that with Mothership Zeta.

While I loved Mothership Zeta at the time, I'm not thrilled with more aliens. Guess we should have seen it coming. Fallout 4 base game leaned into the alien theme really hard in the base game.
However I'll probably enjoy it no matter what it is.

Doc_Drop

Yeah Mothership Zeta was ok, however a great source of loot. If they can do an alien DLC with a bit more context rather than just smash, kill, loot, and leave I might be happier

Nah, please no more aliens. I already have enough laser/energy weapons.
We need some more regular weapons like shootguns or assault rifles like an ak47/M16 type. And some more regular pistols or revolvers.

Doc_Drop

We need some more regular weapons like shootguns or assault rifles like an ak47/M16 type. And some more regular pistols or revolvers.

Hopefully Far Harbour will have some more pistols and shottys. Although, without getting into current tech I'm not sure how that could be achieved bar blunderbuss or Winchester repeater types

Lanrutcon

This game needs a freaking AR. Like, gimme the Chinese Assault Rifle back.

Lanrutcon

Theres already AR's, its just that they are hard to find. Or just add an automatic receiver to a combat rifle.

You misunderstand. I've got a level 100 character. I've seen all the guns in the base version. None of them strike me as an AR. The one is some weird Vickers thing that should have been a machine gun, and the other is just an automatic rifle. Since FO4 is set after FO3 and FO3 has more traditional ARs...where the hell are they?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
You misunderstand. I've got a level 100 character. I've seen all the guns in the base version. None of them strike me as an AR. The one is some weird Vickers thing that should have been a machine gun, and the other is just an automatic rifle. Since FO4 is set after FO3 and FO3 has more traditional ARs...where the hell are they?
Well the commonwealth is different place then DC. Could explain theres no ARs and why theres a whole lot more pipe pistols.

Tigress

This game needs a freaking AR. Like, gimme the Chinese Assault Rifle back.

I miss the Chinese assault rifle. That was my favorite gun in fo3 aside from the sniper rifle and a great multi purpose one when it was too close for my sniper gun (I basically just relied on those two).

Fo4 has no gun I really like aside from my sniper rifle and they all seem too specialized that it feels like you need multiple guns for different situations.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I miss the Chinese assault rifle. That was my favorite gun in fo3 aside from the sniper rifle and a great multi purpose one when it was too close for my sniper gun (I basically just relied on those two).

Fo4 has no gun I really like aside from my sniper rifle and they all seem too specialized that it feels like you need multiple guns for different situations.
The new Gauss Rifle is kickass though and multiple guns for different situations is always how I play.
Gotta cripple those Chameleon deatclaws bro.

Volimar

The new Gauss Rifle is kickass though and multiple guns for different situations is always how I play.

My personal preference is a Gauss rifle and pistol. But early on in survival mode I found a neverending double barrel shotgun that I quite enjoyed rolling with for a while.

N° 2048

Phewyyyy, cleared the Water Treatment Plant for that Grey Garden Settlement.

Wasn't even the Super Mutants outside. So. Many. Mirelurks inside though .

Got a nice Chameleon armor piece :D

Was hard at lvl 11 but my double shotty took out their legs no problem. Survival Mode is too good.

Volimar

Phewyyyy, cleared the Water Treatment Plant for that Grey Garden Settlement.

Wasn't even the Super Mutants ourside. So. Many. Mirelurks inside though .

Got a nice Chameleon armor piece :D

Was hard at lvl 11 but my double shotty took out their legs no problem. Survival Mode is too good.

People forget that you do more damage too.

There are no illnesses or any negative effects going on, yet I see a small red part on my HP bar. If I use a stimpak I get a message about being perched from lack of water, while I just drank from the water pump. How do I remove this red part?

N° 2048

There are no illnesses or any negative effects going on, yet I see a small red part on my HP bar. If I use a stimpak I get a message about being perched from lack of water, while I just drank from the water pump. How do I remove this red part?

Those are Rads, use a Radaway not a Stimpack (won't do anything to the Rads).
Stimpack I only use if I am crippled btw.

If it's small bit of red just leave it and wait until you see a doctor.

I don't worry about it until it gets bigger than 1/3 my health bar because Radaways "Add Fatigue and Suppresses Immunity"

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
wth...I'm level 16, playing on normal and I'm getting crushed at that mission where you go with the minute men clear a radio tower full of bugs....
Am I doing something wrong? Should I grind for levels before doing some quests?

wth...I'm level 16, playing on normal and I'm getting crushed at that mission where you go with the minute men clear a radio tower full of bugs....
Am I doing something wrong? Should I grind for levels before doing some quests?

you mean the Castle? Pro-tip Preston can clear the entire castle by himself if you give him a good legendary weapon and armor. Also make sure he isn't your active companion.
Preston Solo'd the Mirelurk Queen equipped with only Big Jim and his default duds in my playthrough but he was also a much higher level than sixteen

Tigress

I hate having to always switch out guns and try to cut down on how many I'm carrying (I'm a packrat enough as it is without me geniunely needing more than two guns to compound the issue. And I can only plan so far what I'll need per trip cause I always get sidetracked on to something else I didn't mean to do other than what I set out to do).

Plus I know it's superficial but most the guns are ugly. I loved how the chinese assault rifle looked and instead now with the assault rifle we get this ugly, unwieldy looking thing that looks just awkward to use. That isn't even as good as my crafted gun. The assault rifle in 03 looked your very stereotypical military rifle. It was great. And it worked for almost everything (up close, far away, decent damage, seemed to shoot accurately enough).

I've now spent 17 hours in Survival mode and I've been wearing the vault suit with armor pieces, but I am getting a bit tired of this look. What are some nice alternatives? I dig that Spike Armor but its total stats have nothing on my current gear.

N° 2048

I've now spent 17 hours in Survival mode and I've been wearing the vault suit with armor pieces, but I am getting a bit tired of this look. What are some nice alternatives? I dig that Spike Armor but its total stats have nothing on my current gear.

Rocking the Baseball Uniform for the +1 STR bonus with some metal and leather armor pieces on top. Some glasses for a +1 PER boost too.

Also that feel when you make it to Diamond City from Red Rocket but forget the 3 Fusion Cores for Vault 81.
I believe there is a speech check I can bypass that with though =D

Time for +1 CHR hat, +1 CHR glasses, +2 CHR dress on top of my 6 base CHR.

Volimar

Rocking the Baseball Uniform for the +1 STR bonus with some metal and leather armor pieces on top. Some glasses for a +1 PER boost too.

Also that feel when you make it to Diamond City from Red Rocket but forget the 3 Fusion Cores for Vault 81. I believe I there is a speech check I can bypass though =D

I use a mod that let's you fast travel only to settlements so I just went and cleared out Hangman's Alley before I was told to so I could be close to Diamond City.

Also that feel when you make it to Diamond City from Red Rocket but forget the 3 Fusion Cores for Vault 81.
I believe there is a speech check I can bypass that with though =D

Time for +1 CHR hat, +1 CHR glasses, +2 CHR dress on top of my 6 base CHR.

Oh that's nice actually. I don't believe I have the baseball outfit yet though.

The problem with these damn matrasses is that it's great for a quick save, but every damn time I use one, I just wake up still feeling tired and that cuts into my AP. Not a fan of that. If matrasses would have acted like beds I would have liked that, ah well.

Overall Survival is just awesome though. I truly take pretty much everything into account now. On my Very Hard playthrough I remember I had a shitload of weapons on me and there just was never any real tension or challenge, but there sure is now. I carefully picked the guns I definitely was going to use and left the rest at my DC home. Now when you clear a area of nasty ghouls and stuff, it feels like a accomplishment. Real nice.

The very slow HP regen, is there a way to improve that a little? I assume with armor mods?

N° 2048

Oh that's nice actually. I don't believe I have the baseball outfit yet though.

The problem with these damn matrasses is that it's great for a quick save, but every damn time I use one, I just wake up still feeling tired and that cuts into my AP. Not a fan of that. If matrasses would have acted like beds I would have liked that, ah well.

Overall Survival is just awesome though. I truly take pretty much everything into account now. On my Very Hard playthrough I remember I had a shitload of weapons on me and there just was never any real tension or challenge, but there sure is now. I carefully picked the guns I definitely was going to use and left the rest at my DC home. Now when you clear a area of nasty ghouls and stuff, it feels like a accomplishment. Real nice.

The very slow HP regen, is there a way to improve that a little? I assume with armor mods?

Make sure you get an 8 hour sleep least once a day(only possible on Beds). Also don't sleep too much in like one hour increments I noticed I get iller that way. I was kind of treating sleeping bags and mattresses as "quick saves" but stopped and now I try to sleep only if I have to. And when I do it's on a Bed for a full 8 hours to get the "Well Rested" bonus.

The HP regen is slooowww, still figuring that out haha

Just reached Vault 81. There's a bed just outside the entrance. I'm pretty sure it's possible to go through the Vault 81 Quest without getting the mole rat disease, you have to send your companion home and not get hit by both the mole rats and the protectron.

Edit: the baseball uniform is actually +1 strength and +1 agility :D

Top Bottom