• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Sarcasm

I tried googling but can't get clear answer as I think they changed it from the info I have found.

How is survival mode? What does it all add to the game?

Seeing what people say here while I cross examine all this info.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.

Tigress

I tried googling but can't get clear answer as I think they changed it from the info I have found.

How is survival mode? What does it all add to the game?

Seeing what people say here while I cross examine all this info.

Survival mode is awesome. I really don't want to play the game without it and I will say I've noticed it also has the effect that I am finding I am more strict about my personal roleplaying. Don't know why but it encourages me more to be stricter to rping my character even when it would be easier to fudge on the rp. I would like to be able to toggle off the save at beds not because I dislike it (I want to save often but I find it does add to my game). But because I want my first character (the one I care more about finishing the story) to not be as stressful as the save mechanic makes it but I don't want to play now without the other features of survival. I'd actually keep the save at beds for my survival character as it really does add something (and honestly beds are not that hard to find. Usually I don't save more often because of 1. rp reasons - if a bed is really out of the way it feels too out of character to go back to it and 2. I don't want to get a disease. Antibiotics are too hard to find to risk getting too many).

But even the save at beds mechanic I'm finding overall adds to the experience for my survival character. I've found ways to get around the rp mechanic by either starting to sleep then cancelling (you don't sleep then but you still get an autosave though also a potential disease too). Or some one pointed out you can also rp it as your character stopping to bandage themselves and lick their wounds for a bit which I may do some too.

The food and eating and sleeping mechanic is balanced much better than hardcore mode in vegas, it actually matters and with the limited weight you can carry actually creates pressure on you. As well as adding in radiation has more effect in 4 and radaway will make your immune system weak so more likely to get diseases (and antibiotics in my game are rare as fuck, I'm guessing they are linked to your luck as my luck is 1). So you really have to be careful how many radaways you use or rads you get. It makes you more careful about that. It also makes settlement building more interesting cause it gives you incentive to put in your settlements stuff like the arch to get rid of radiation and a doctor that can heal you. I've found that my biggest goal with my survival character is building up my settlements as bases and going out and finding materials I need (also for better guns). It actually makes what I found promising about what Todd said about settlements be more true. It really makes settlement building much more interesting as it really gives you a good goal for it (they were mostly ignorable before survival mode if you didn't want to build them but they'll give you huge advantages if you put time into them in survival mode). If you like crafting and mechanics that encourage you to craft and also to go scrounge for stuff to craft with, survival mode really is awesome for that (it does make it more a survival type game. Too bad the dialogue system sucks, that would make it the perfect game, I might even rate it above New Vegas if they had a good dialogue system/rpg mechanic. I hear Far Harbor is good for that though).

I loved the idea of hardcore mode in vegas, but it got pretty easily ignorable except for thirst. Sleep was never an issue (I already rp sleeping every night and even when I couldn't find a bed right away I never got close to being tired enough to affect my game).

And the hunger/thirst/sleep mechanic is balanced enough for rp that you can reasonably see your character starting to need those things when they do in game (and I love that getting tired is also linked to how active you are. Sprint a lot and you'll get tired faster).

Honestly, I am one of the Obsidian > Bethesda people and New Vegas >> 4 and 3 but here is on area I think Bethesda outshined Obsidian. Obsidian had the right idea, Bethesda actually implemented it well. I will say I was disappointed in how they messed up the RPG part of Fallout (most of that tied to their horrible dialogue system as well as lack of skill checks which kinda ties in the dialogue system too). But survival mode seems to be making up for that. I'm not near as annoyed at the lack of rpg but I find as I said it has encouraged me to be stricter on my rp so in a way it has enhanced the roleplay aspect. It's just a shame the game didn't launch with survival mode. It really enhances the game and I don't find the game feels lacking anymore (before survival mode I played 150-200 hours before I got burned out. That is the shortest amount of time it took for me to get burned out on a Bethesda game :( ).

And btw, like save at beds, you would lose some of the challenge if you could fast travel anywhere. For example in New Vegas, a lot of people found hardcore mode to be negated entirely cause they could just fast travel to that one lake that had clean water and drink there everytime they needed to drink. Here you could just fast travel to your settlement and drink from the water pump. I didn't have the issue cause I don't fast travel anyways by principle in any Bethesda game (I honestly hate it cause for me it breaks immersion a lot but I remember people complaining about that. Part of the fun of the game to me is travelling and trying to survive the travel part).

neoism

Thanks most of it looks sweet.

But a few things suck. Fast travel, wouldn't be too bad if they had say something that you can pay at fixed locations to use.

I don't know what to do.

the easest thing would be only having three settlements you can warp to.... it the worst thing in my few hours with survival other than the most fucking annoying thing in the game ...weight limit...��

A while back some one on Reddit posted a fix for this (don't know how effective it is). Make the robot your follower and then dismiss him and he will then be marked essential.

Hmm, I may need to invest in a lot of materials. I'll try that out thanks.

Survival Mode Question: If I were to do it and side with the institute, would I be able to use their fast travel to the Institute then Fast travel to another place?

Tigress

Hmm, I may need to invest in a lot of materials. I'll try that out thanks.

Survival Mode Question: If I were to do it and side with the institute, would I be able to use their fast travel to the Institute then Fast travel to another place?

I've heard you can fast travel to the institute from any place but fast travelling out just puts you in a set spot outside the institute. So not really unless you want to get somewhere near that area of the map (or it at least is closer to where you want to be).

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Stray thought: Why is the companion AI in this game so garbage? It feels like a step back when New Vegas had a wheel that allowed you to set the aggressiveness of your companion. I was fighting one of the tougher creatures in Far Harbor and Ada just stood by while it completely wailed on her. There are moments where she walks right past an enemy and remarks, "I don't think we're alone sir!". The enemy NPCs show more intelligence and tactical prowess so, I know that the engine is at least capable of it. Why did they get rid of the wheel?

I'm on console, so I hope mods will offer some solution to this soon.

Tigress

Tbh I don't think New Vegas' Hardcore Mode was an attempt to be completely like what Beth has done. Something easy enough not to be frustrated, added a lil oomph to the game

Sawyer's Mod was more along the lines of an actual Survival mode.

I liked hte idea but there really was no point of Hardcore mode cause except for at the very beginning it was balanced so lax it really didn't have much effect on your game. I liked it for rp purposes and knowing the game would enforce my rp but other than that it really didn't affect me much.

Survival mode enforces my rp more realistically (in game time my character gets hungry about as often as she would and starts to tire out at the end of the day and same with thirst). And enforces me to pay more attention to what I'm carrying and planning out more my trip. And yes, hardcore mode was trying to do that. Why else have weight to ammo for example (That was one of the few ways it had any affect on my gameplay honestly. For example even in hardcore mode big guns are less viable cause the ammo is so heavy. It's why I never bothered with the .50 calibre rifle).

To me hardcore should have done more what survival did. I'm not saying it has to do the save thing but certainly the balance of how often you need sleep, food, and drink could be balanced more. And the bad effects should actually matter more (part of that though is the mechanics of how Fallout works now). I like how if you keep not sleeping you eventually get a fuzzy view. That's awesome. I don't know if hardcore mode ever did that, I never evne got to the first level of needing sleep (you'd have to not sleep for days for it to have any effect at all).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked hardcore for the immersion of the game actually enforcing it. It was a great idea and I like that Obsidian put it in. But I still enforced that stuff in my rp more than hardcore did (other than thirst which did come up often). I like in survival how towards the end of the day my character starts getting tired and I have to either go to bed a little early or deal with the fact she's not as effective (That's honestly pretty accurate. Yes, it seems often but that's cause in game time passes quicker. But since the character is living in game time things should happen in game time, like getting tired). Survival enforces it often enough that it feels like it truly enforces my rp and not just lets me feel more immersed cause I know eventually it will. And I think it's balanced well to feel realistic and also feel like it actually affects my game.

Survival mode just does what hardcore did but better. And probably yes, more leaning towards survival but still, it is balanced better to actually feel like it has an affect.

jesu

Stray thought: Why is the companion AI in this game so garbage? It feels like a step back when New Vegas had a wheel that allowed you to set the aggressiveness of your companion. I was fighting one of the tougher creatures in Far Harbor and Ada just stood by while it completely wailed on her. There are moments where she walks right past an enemy and remarks, "I don't think we're alone sir!". The enemy NPCs show more intelligence and tactical prowess so, I know that the engine is at least capable of it. Why did they get rid of the wheel?

I'm stuck with Ada as my companion and she never fights back no matter which weapon attachments I give her.
I think it's a bug in my game.
Does she ever fight for you?

void666

Banned
What's the average save file size? I have around 180 hours and my save file is 16mb.
I've been kind of reckless regarding mod installs/uninstalls/upgrades and i'm afraid of save bloating.
I started a new character but it's hard to let go of my first guy.

Anyway i'm back to fallout 4 it seems. Even purchased the season pass.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
What's the average save file size? I have around 180 hours and my save file is 16mb.
I've been kind of reckless regarding mod installs/uninstalls/upgrades and i'm afraid of save bloating.
I started a new character but it's hard to let go of my first guy.

Anyway i'm back to fallout 4 it seems. Even purchased the season pass.
Yeah i hit 16 mb too. Thank god theres no 1 second per frame issue like in 3.

Survival mode just does what hardcore did but better. And probably yes, more leaning towards survival but still, it is balanced better to actually feel like it has an affect.

Idk if it didn't feel like an effect at all. Having Weighted Ammo, stims and such. Only Doctor's bags could heal limbs. Stims having over time healing. I think it changed gameplay enough to be noticeably different. Just the actual outside meters Sleep/H20/Food didn't do much.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I'm stuck with Ada as my companion and she never fights back no matter which weapon attachments I give her.
She'll fight back the majority of the times but she almost never engages first. More often than not, she has to take damage before she attacks. It's frustrating. I just wish I could set it so that she goes agro on any near by enemies.

Same could be said of all the companions TBH. I was just using her as an example.

So now we've had:

Automatron $10
Wasteland Workshop $5
Far Harbor $25

That's $40, the season pass was originally $30. Keeping with the tradition of piecemeal DLC costing $10 more than the season pass I see this as the future for Fallout 4:

Wasteland Workshop 2 $5
Nuka World $10
Wasteland Workshop 3 $5

That brings it up to $60 compared to the now $50 season pass.

As far as Ada is concerned I've noticed her A.I. only notices 3 weapons. if i equip her with a Robobrain head, and 2 shoulder launchers on her Sentry bot Torso she will not use her arms. if i equip the robobrain head and one launcher she will not use her right hand.

So i find the best combination for Ada is a Robobrain head, and two Gatling Lasers.

Valkrai

Not sure if this is thread-worthy but there's a new mod announced called Cascadia. Supposed to take place decades after 3/NV/4 and in Seattle.
tumblr_inline_o7lj8mkaPM1tl18o0_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_o7lj8w9QKY1tl18o0_500.jpg

Link below but I'm hyped:
http://falloutcascadia.tumblr.com/About

MattyG

Banned
^ That's really cool. I really want to develop a mod set near where I live (I have a story idea and everything) but I'm having a crazy hard time modeling the landmass with a good enough scale and accuracy.

Takuan

I decided to check out mods since the GECK's been out for a little bit and play through the game again, probably as BOS / Institute since I only did the Minutemen and Railroad endings.

Added the Extended Armor Crafting mod, a custom armor mod (The Rebel - badass), a character save, make-up mod, body mod, hairstyle mod. Thinking of adding bullet-time since I'm just gonna have silly fun with this.

Anyone able to recommend a solid companion mod?

Eusis

Got back into it some due to Far Harbor and started actually paying attention to crafting! Now it feels like I flipped things around and the game has gone from too hard to almost too easy.

Hopeford

So I think one of my settlers pathed into another settler and pushed him off my ridiculously high settlement that had no railing or anything...

Which of course means it's time to be a silly idiot and build a courthouse to get to the bottom of this.

I'm a child and I'm not even ashamed.

I think a lot of you guys who are crazy into settlement building will love those mods.

I hope we will get some nice new weapons and armor with mods.

JoeNut

So i've had to go back 5 levels to be able to play the far harbour DLC - just got to Acadia, really cool that
the main synth guy knows Nick if hes your partner

jesu

As far as Ada is concerned I've noticed her A.I. only notices 3 weapons. if i equip her with a Robobrain head, and 2 shoulder launchers on her Sentry bot Torso she will not use her arms. if i equip the robobrain head and one launcher she will not use her right hand.

So i find the best combination for Ada is a Robobrain head, and two Gatling Lasers.

I'll give that set up a try then, at the moment she just runs around getting in my way in VATS.
Just now she's got a robobrain head and two melee weapons.
I had her with a different head and a laser and a flamethrower before and she wouldn't fight then either.

Woopsy Daisy, I forgot to remove the recruitment beacon at Covenant and now there's about 15 settlers or so. Is there a way to just let them go? Or should I make the best of them and assign them to shops and defense?

Is there a way to improve clothing like the BOS outfit and Road Leathers? In terms of energy and radiation defense and such, can that be improved?

I see a lot of cool outfits, like the Traveling leather coat, but sadly I can't use armor pieces with it and so the defense rating of everything is waaaaay too low.

Tigress

So, where's the first bed out of the vault? I can't find it and I have to go to work :(

There is one in the basement behind one of the houses in Sanctuary I believe (It's one of the ones on the cul de sac facing east I believe) There's also one in the house nearest to the Red Rocket (Just downhill from it). Or you can build one at the Red Rocket almost right away (though you'll need to make sure you have some cloth on you cause there's not enough at the workbench).

Thoguh other than building one yourself, I think the other two I mention are mattresses/sleeping bags but they'll work for saving anyways.

Also, the game autosaves right before you exit the vault (I know this from dieing a few times). So if you haven't done much after getting out of the vault you won't lose much.

Woopsy Daisy, I forgot to remove the recruitment beacon at Covenant and now there's about 15 settlers or so. Is there a way to just let them go? Or should I make the best of them and assign them to shops and defense?

Is there a way to improve clothing like the BOS outfit and Road Leathers? In terms of energy and radiation defense and such, can that be improved?

I see a lot of cool outfits, like the Traveling leather coat, but sadly I can't use armor pieces with it and so the defense rating of everything is waaaaay too low.

1) your best just putting them to use. You can make supply lines or move them to other settlements but I'd use them for shops and defence.

2) you can't improve them without mods I don't think. Some like the vault suit can be nodded at an armour work bench but not all can be.

Volimar

If you go far enough in the Railroad quest line
Secure the DIA cache
you gain access to ballistic weave. You can add weave to most normal outfits that are as good as or better than most armors. I was playing in a bathrobe for a while.

1) your best just putting them to use. You can make supply lines or move them to other settlements but I'd use them for shops and defence.

2) you can't improve them without mods I don't think. Some like the vault suit can be nodded at an armour work bench but not all can be.

OK I'll do that. It looks funny as hell though when Raiders try to come in, seeing all those settlers going loose on em.

Secure the DIA cache
you gain access to ballistic weave. You can add weave to most normal outfits that are as good as or better than most armors. I was playing in a bathrobe for a while.

That's awesome. I am at the Railroad quests now, so I'll continue these quests until I get it.

What to do when you have lost your follower? Nick was with me until he simply was gone, nowhere to be found. I also don't see anything on the map saying i need to heal him..... so what now?

Secure the DIA cache

Wow really? I never knew this! Do you just go to the armour work bench?

Morokh

Wow really? I never knew this! Do you just go to the armour work bench?

Yes (you'll need the armorer perk maxed-out for the best version), and tinker Tom will start selling the basic upgraded versions of some of the compatible outfits.

Don't get your hopes up too quickly though, the outfit selection that is compatible is rather random, and most of the more iconic trophy outfits are not available to be upgraded.

Oh goddammit no.

I decided to go to DC, hoping Nick would be there, since he just vanished. But he's not there. Oh brother Bethesda needs to fix this Shit BAD. Implement some option that you can call your follower back to you or at least reset him/her back to his/her home.

What can I do? I mean, I now have Deacon as a follower. So shouldn't Nick have been resented back to DC already?

Volimar

Oh goddammit no.

I decided to go to DC, hoping Nick would be there, since he just vanished. But he's not there. Oh brother Bethesda needs to fix this Shit BAD. Implement some option that you can call your follower back to you or at least reset him/her back to his/her home.

What can I do? I mean, I now have Deacon as a follower. So shouldn't Nick have been resented back to DC already?

Getting a new follower was going to be my suggestion for a possible fix. That sucks.

Oh goddammit no.

Strangley they don`t go back to their home but to one of your settlement. I take it you are playing on console? I suggest looking for him in your every settlement

Getting a new follower was going to be my suggestion for a possible fix. That sucks.

Strangley they don`t go back to their home but to one of your settlement. I take it you are playing on console? I suggest looking for him in your every settlement

Oh that's good to know for next time. Turns out there were a few more savefiles of my Survival playthrough, the savefile before this was like a hour back, but that's not too bad. I just need to clear the building of Synths again. So that was good.

If this happens again, I'll go check my settlements. Any way of knowing which settlement it will be?

Saw a small video on mods that are coming to Xbox one with Larry Hyrb.

They are bringing over the one where you can add a settlement to anywhere... I have heard that over time that mod kills PC performance the more settlements you make, but it gives me hope we will get a mod for unlimited junk so we can build in peace...

Sarcasm

A someone who took a break and is coming back, I am going to use survival mode.

Are most mobs still bullet sponges?

Any recommendations and tips?

Top Bottom