• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Eusis

I can't play Survival due to the limitation on saving. I don't have the certainty that I will be able to sit for a bit and find a bed to survive.
I'd like to have it be more like New Vegas hardcore. That sort of thing just puts me off.

Might be ok with a mod later that toggles some things though, I.E. I'd want to hitch rides on caravans for fast travel or go with Witcher III style signs to travel between. Make it less convenient, but acknowledge this kind of design sort of needs it in some form. Or let me zip across the wasteland in a helicopter or whatever.

Far harbor is as mediocre as vanilla fallout 4. At least so far. I have yet to finish the dlc.

It's all about mods for me. Bullet time, jet pack and combat feels fresh.
Yesterday i installed a mod called ressurection that adds lush vegetation and trees all over the commonwealth. It's in a very early dev stage but it completely changes the feel of the game. I like it very much.

And there's this alternate start mod i have yet to test.

Far Harbor was a welcome distraction. It never reached the highs of Point Lookout for me, but I noticed that the dialogue and quests were a lot better written overall.

Tigress

I can't play Survival due to the limitation on saving. I don't have the certainty that I will be able to sit for a bit and find a bed to survive.

Heh, I wasn't sure I'd like that part and thought that I might wish for a save anytime mod but I was willing to keep an open mind. Now i love it because it does add that thrill of making death feel more like someone to avoid and it has had the effect that I try harder and get more creative to try to avoid it. And makes me consider more if I want to risk things.

But, I know if I put in a save mod I'd use it so I'm glad the game enforces it. That being said I do think Bethesda should have put a toggle in that was only usable when you start survival (kinda like how if you turn off survival you can't go back on that character) so people had a choice (but it would still enforce it for those of us who like it). They could even do like they do with turning survival off, have the toggle off for save at beds only and if you turn it on you can't switch it back (without leaving survival). They easily could have give people choice while still enforcing the save at beds for those that wanted it but knew they'd cave if they had the option to save anytime.

Tigress

It has been awhile and I don't want to trial and error, is there a general consensus about stat build for survival?

My own thoughts (take with a grain of salt). Stealth is important and I've put a lot of emphasis on being able to build stuff in settlements like rad remover arches and getting a doctor and getting my bases connected. This includes getting the perks that allow me to make stuff as well as perks that help me get materials. Getting settlements set up as bases will be a huge boon. I look at it as my character is building up an army and several bases of operation. That in itself is a fun game (it definitely makes it feel like minecraft but better cause you are playing fallout to get resources).

Also being able to craft good guns as well as have some chemistry (for antibiotics. especially if you have low luck like me cause I find that antibiotics are rare in my game and I think it is due to a luck of 1). A good sniper gun will be great (stealth is really going to help you as is shooting from a far so you can pick mobs off one at a time rather than them rushing you at once).

That's what I've focused on. And I know for stealth that's a very common opinion that survival really emphasizes that.

TitusTroy

at long last I finally fired up Fallout 4...great hearing that classic Fallout music in the menu...great seeing a 'Mods' setting right in the main menu...I tweaked the graphics a bit to make things look better using ReShade...in the KB/M Control options I see separate options for Run and Sprint which is interesting (normally there's only Walk vs run/sprint)...are there any places that can break the game if I discover it too early?...I remember with Fallout 3 there was a certain Vault which broke the game if you visited it too soon...

I just started Automatron and for some reason my weight limit has gone from 520 to 420 and I can't for the life of me figure out why. It happens right after I finish the first quest 'Mechanical Menace'.

EDIT: Never mind, it's been so long since I've played I forgot about the perk that increases my weight limit when alone, derp.

Tigress

I can't decide on a base stat build for survival...I keep starting over...

As I said, look at what perks you want most and go from there. And try not to worry too hard about it. If you decide you want a perk after you start the game that is out of reach you can always build on the stat you need. Younare not limited to what you pick at the start. Just be sure you can stealth at the start and probably making antibiotics would be helpful (so chemist) and I think you'll be fine. Also, gun nut in the future (like level 12) will be a great boon for recon scopes but I don't think you need the stat for it that high to get it.

In the end I'd just bite the bullet and go with a build and if you found you made a mistake just work towards fixing it in game.

Sarcasm

As I said, look at what perks you want most and go from there. And try not to worry too hard about it. If you decide you want a perk after you start the game that is out of reach you can always build on the stat you need. Younare not limited to what you pick at the start. Just be sure you can stealth at the start and probably making antibiotics would be helpful (so chemist) and I think you'll be fine. Also, gun nut in the future (like level 12) will be a great boon for recon scopes but I don't think you need the stat for it that high to get it.

In the end I'd just bite the bullet and go with a build and if you found you made a mistake just work towards fixing it in game.

Is there something that is decent to look at while not ingame? That isn't a cluster of unmanageable hatred inducing lists?

N° 2048

For what it's worth the XO still dips to 20-23 FPS with heavy fog.

Just another reason why I can't wait to build my PC next year.

Any PC people noticed some weird artifacts on the robot workbench?

YWvMGV2.png

I can't get it to show up elsewhere. Also had missing/disappearing geometry inside some of the General Atomics portion of Automatron. I tried verifying cache but it didn't work. I'm not too sure if this is a GPU issue or if something is actually broken ingame.

Any PC people noticed some weird artifacts on the robot workbench?

YWvMGV2.png

I can't get it to show up elsewhere. Also had missing/disappearing geometry inside some of the General Atomics portion of Automatron. I tried verifying cache but it didn't work. I'm not too sure if this is a GPU issue or if something is actually broken ingame.

I've noticed some weird effects with textures and surfaces. I have an AMD card and the best I could think was that was a problem with some. There's no consistency with it on mine and I though maybe my card was messed up (I just got one), but I have no problems in other games.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I have an idea for better companion controls and I'm not sure if someone had already created a mod similar to this: Why not just have the command prompt come up automatically when you put your crosshairs on an enemy or object? It's alot less clunky than having to put the cursor on your companion everytime you want them to do something.

I've noticed some weird effects with textures and surfaces. I have an AMD card and the best I could think was that was a problem with some. There's no consistency with it on mine and I though maybe my card was messed up (I just got one), but I have no problems in other games.
I'm on Nvidia and I can trigger those artifacts on demand - I just have to start using the robot workbench.

JoeNut

Well that last puzzle has really taken the momentum away. It's tough as hell whereas the other puzzles were just the right level.

I play daily since launch. Around 500 hours clocked in throughout two play throughs.

I also wear my Fallout shirt at work and get at least two people daily saying how they love the game and play it.

reddit.com/r/fo4 and reddit.com/r/fallout are very active as well and the Fallout 4 YouTube community is HUGE and active.

I'm at 320 hours. I would have more but I took a few breaks to avoid burn out. I can't keep up with the Youtube community.its great!

Yeah, Far Harbor wasn't good.

In what way?

DireStr8s

So, settings are still global? Difficulty, hud settings, etc. sticking across different character saves. With two people playing this is really annoying. Thought for sure it was a bug and would be fixed.

Morokh

So, settings are still global? Difficulty, hud settings, etc. sticking across different character saves. With two people playing this is really annoying. Thought for sure it was a bug and would be fixed.

AZERTY keyboard support still doesn't work properly in Workshop mode either.

Tigress

Argh! I started a brotherhood mission that has me clearing a fort (I'm in survival mode). Except anytime I run to a nearby settlement it respawns all the enemies including the behemoth (and heals the behemoth if I have injured him any but haven't killed him). And I made the mistake of thinking that maybe if I killed all the enemies including the behemoth that maybe it would stop so I slept/saved (I really didn't want to save as I feared that but at that point I had been going on 48 hours of no sleep) and it respawned it again (I don't have enough ammo to take him down again and it took a lot of patience to whittle him down). And now I have no save left that is before I started the mission.

bjork

My dad called me over to help him with a thing in Far Harbor:
you're in some computer simulation or something, stacking boxes to make lasers wipe out red block walls so little bugs can eat data or something?

There were five parts and I helped with three of them, including the last one. But I didn't see anything between them, so I'm curious: did I just spoil some major part of Far Harbor for myself when I eventually get to it?

Sarcasm

My dad called me over to help him with a thing in Far Harbor:
you're in some computer simulation or something, stacking boxes to make lasers wipe out red block walls so little bugs can eat data or something?

There were five parts and I helped with three of them, including the last one. But I didn't see anything between them, so I'm curious: did I just spoil some major part of Far Harbor for myself when I eventually get to it?

Playing with dad is totally worth it even if spoilers.

Survival mode is great. Frustrating at times, but I couldn't imagine playing it any other way now.

My fight to take over Hangman's Alley just so I could put a water pump near D.C. was amazing and so rewarding.

So yes I know choose what I feel but perks for crafting and so on,

what is needed to have the best of the best? Like do you need max armourer and gun nut?

http://www.levelbased.com/guides/fallout-4/tools/special?build=7d.3.4.6.5.3.6
No you don't actually need armourer or gun nut. You can simply find all weapon and armor mods in the game but that will take a long long time.
But for the beginning of the game I wouldn't put many points into those two perks. There are others that are more important.

Sarcasm

No you don't actually need armourer or gun nut. You can simply find all weapon and armor mods in the game but that will take a long long time.
But for the beginning of the game I wouldn't put many points into those two perks. There are others that are more important.

So towards the middle game you would need it, right?

So towards the middle game you would need it, right?

Yeah or towards the end game. But you could still do without it.

I just recently put all points into them because I wanted to max out the new weapons that came with the DLCs. Without the DLCs I might have not even needed them because I already collected a ton of mods for the main game weapons.

Sarcasm

I think I am going to start with:

S = 1
P = 3
E = 4
C = 5
I = 5
A = 5
L = 5

I hope to get by level 10:

Lead Belly 1/3
Lifegiver 1/3
Chem Resistant 1/3
Lone Wanderer 1/4
Scapper 1/3
Sneak 1/5
Action Boy 1/3
Idiot Savant 1/3

Dunno what to do for the 10th level though lol, prob boost charisma a couple to get Local Leader or Aquaboy. My goal in END is to at least Adamantium Skeleton.

Repost from Far Harbor thread.

Maybe you guys can explain this issue for me. I do game sharing in my house on my two Xbox Ones. My living room console is the primary console, my office console is the away console.

No Fallout 4 dlc is working on the living room console. It shows up under the add-ons menu in game, but the season pass and individual dlc doesn't show up under the manage game section.

In game, the dlc doesn't ever activate or work.

Does the season pass or dlc not work with game Sharing?

Sarcasm

Started my survival build and yeah I dunno what I am doing in regards to :

• Water
  • Food
  • Settlement Building
  • Chems

Anybody got any tips, especially settlement building? I totally ignored it when I first played near launch.

With food and water do I need a perk for to get better recipes?

The chemist perk, which one let's do make antibiotics? Do you need to max it?

Tigress

Started my survival build and yeah I dunno what I am doing in regards to :

• Water
  • Food
  • Settlement Building
  • Chems

Anybody got any tips, especially settlement building? I totally ignored it when I first played near launch.

With food and water do I need a perk for to get better recipes?

The chemist perk, which one let's do make antibiotics? Do you need to max it?

The first level will get you antibiotics. Make a an industrial size water purifier. You will get more than you can use and can sell the rest. Tatos, carrots, and razor grain are all good to have cause you can make vegetable soup and noodle soup and you just need dirty water which you can get with empty bottles and any water lieing around. Razor grain is light to carry with you and then you can make more noodle soups on the go (bottles are lighter than dirty waters or soups so just make them as you go. Plenty of cooking stations around). Also if you get local leader and connect your settlements, anything you can craft will be available to you in crafting menus. So you can put uncooked food (meat, razor grain what have you) in your craft bench storage and you'll be able to cook with it at any settlement. I just learned that trick yesterday. I guess that also goes for mods of guns. I've been doing it all wrong, I had a separate box for gun and armor mods and one for food.

Install a doctor in strategic settlements. That way for 15 caps you can cure any disease and heal and get rid of radiation for 40 (without the bad effects of radaway). Also the radiation arch is nice but the doctor is better if you have to pick one.

Hangmans alley is a nice central location. That is definitely one place to build a good base. If you
don't lose the doctor in diamond city
you can get away with no doctor there with just a small inconvenience.

That's what I got for now. I prolly got more but gotta eat.

Sarcasm

Do tell more!

Also I give up, sleeping is not saving my damn game. I slept at sanc in a bed I made. Then one at red rocket I made. 3 hours of doing things.

Load back up and I am at Vault 111 and can remake my character before exit. What kind of BS is this.

Regarding settlements and workshops...Im unable to build an industrial water purifier since I started a new save on survival. I have all materials and science 1, but I cant activate it. They can be built on all places where normal purifiers can be built right?

Yesterday I was also unable to build a simple turret at abernathy farm. Same problem, I got the materials and when I select the item in the menu it does not show up in the world.

Is this a known random workshop bug?

Sarcasm

Regarding settlements and workshops...Im unable to build an industrial water purifier since I started a new save on survival. I have all materials and science 1, but I cant activate it. They can be built on all places where normal purifiers can be built right?

Yesterday I was also unable to build a simple turret at abernathy farm. Same problem, I got the materials and when I select the item in the menu it does not show up in the world.

Is this a known random workshop bug?

The big ones have to be in actual water.

The big ones have to be in actual water.

I know, and I try to place them in the water in Sanctuary. Just to be more precise, the item is highlighted in the menu but I dont see it in the editor. Normally you see the item highlighted red if you are unable to place it at the current location and green if you can place it at the current location. I dont even see the item...

Top Bottom