• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Why is it tied to charisma? I get the "cap collector" part, but players need shops in settlements regardless of whether they get caps as an income. I hope that someone can mod shops and make them return an income only if you have the leader perk.

is there a faction that isn't secretly sinister, or are they all just kind of like that?

Minutemen.

Institute is, ironically, secretly way less sinister than everyone makes it out to be. On a scale from good for the Commonwealth to bad for the Commonwealth, I'd say Institute and Minutemen are tied, then Railroad, then Brotherhood.

Seyavesh

Minutemen
Minutemen.
Institute is, ironically, secretly way less sinister than everyone makes it out to be. On a scale from good for the Commonwealth to bad for the Commonwealth, I'd say Institute and Minutemen are tied, then Railroad, then Brotherhood.

eh, the minutemen are basically a band of raiders waiting to happen that you lead- preston is an idealistic retard who doesn't understand why the previous version of the minutemen imploded into the billions of raider groups scouring the commonwealth and you end up following the exact same path that the last one tread because he's the one guiding the reconstruction efforts and leading the group.

RedSwirl

Is it best to just leave all your crafting junk at one of your bases? I try to take some of it with me since you occasionally run into weapons benches in the wild, but constantly grabbing junk, even just the junk I think I need, always fills up my weight limit pretty quickly.

Man, has there ever been a game that felt like it had a properly balanced weight limit?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Man, the loop on this game really has me.

Play for a while, do a few missions. In between missions return scrap to base & restock. End the night by going to one of my settlements and doing some building. Make improvements.

Really enjoying my time here.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
is teaming up with the major of goodneighbour part of the silver shroud quest?

Im currently where I should meet with the major in silver shroud costume to advance the quest. However, the only thing hes doing is asking me to take him with me as my companion. Which he is also doing when i talk to him and dont have silver shroud cloths on.
I dont want to take him with my, im fine with mccready.

Do i need to take him as companion in order to advance in the silver shroud questline'?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is it best to just leave all your crafting junk at one of your bases? I try to take some of it with me since you occasionally run into weapons benches in the wild, but constantly grabbing junk, even just the junk I think I need, always fills up my weight limit pretty quickly.

Man, has there ever been a game that felt like it had a properly balanced weight limit?

Well, yeah. Just think of the weapon/armor benches in the wild as a way to scrap weapons/armors that you pick up during your travels in order to make your carry burden lighter. Just use one of the settlements as your main base and use it to store your stuff.

The kneecapper attribute is absolutely fantastic. I have it set up on an automatic rifle, with each shot having a 20% chance to cripple legs no matter where I hit them. Behemoths get cut down, Mirelurk queens get punched in their unmoving butts, ghouls with enough health to withstand more than a few bullets never reach me, and deathclaws embarrass themselves. Any enemy that can't shoot back is just a doormat at this point.

LOL, did anyone else install a water pump in that super-irradiated pond at the Starlight Drive-In?

All I can say is that thing had better have one hell of a filter on it!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
LOL, did anyone else install a water pump in that super-irradiated pond at the Starlight Drive-In?

All I can say is that thing had better have one hell of a filter on it!

You can (and should) scrap the barrels

is teaming up with the major of goodneighbour part of the silver shroud quest?

Im currently where I should meet with the major in silver shroud costume to advance the quest. However, the only thing hes doing is asking me to take him with me as my companion. Which he is also doing when i talk to him and dont have silver shroud cloths on.
I dont want to take him with my, im fine with mccready.

Do i need to take him as companion in order to advance in the silver shroud questline'?

No

Steiner84

The kneecapper attribute is absolutely fantastic. I have it set up on an automatic rifle, with each shot having a 20% chance to cripple legs no matter where I hit them. Behemoths get cut down, Mirelurk queens get punched in their unmoving butts, ghouls with enough health to withstand more than a few bullets never reach me, and deathclaws embarrass themselves. Any enemy that can't shoot back is just a doormat at this point.

how do you get that? is it a perk?

Hasney

well, then i wont ever finish this quest i guess..
Because all hes doing is asking me to take him with me. Cant interact in any other way with him..

Make sure you've got both costume pieces selected and the weapon equipped before talking. I had to remove all other apparel too.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Lost 14 hours of playtime to a subtle glitch that didn't reveal itself until much later after it was triggered.

Think I'm done with this game for a while :/

Well... what is it? Please tell us so maybe we can avoid it if possible....

Here's my Red Rocket settlement.

http://imgur.com/a/8Ovw0

Nothing crazy. I'm not quite sure what to do with the extra space, especially on the roof.

Will NPCs take your items stored inside storage? I never had it happened to me. I know they play around sleeping in my bed or even use unattended Power Armors (always take out the Fusion Core, folks) but they have never taken anything from any of my storage.

pahamrick

Because all hes doing is asking me to take him with me. Cant interact in any other way with him..

I had to take him as a companion long enough to talk to him for the quest, then I could ditch him for the companion I was using since they were still nearby. Had to do that twice, IIRC.

Steiner84

Make sure you've got both costume pieces selected and the weapon equipped before talking. I had to remove all other apparel too.

I dont have the weapon.
I allready had to meet with the major in silver shroud costume before and it worked with just the costume and hat. I even had my welding goggles still on.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Making your fancy bedroom or entire floor of your base is completely ruined when some random settler comes in and uses your shit.

Get the fuck back to your barracks dude, dont touch my shit >_<

joecanada

Just used up a shitload of my ammo and item reserves fighting a Queen Mirelurk

Got shit all for it. Feels bad man

Ya musta ate 5-7 rockets that bitch lol all for nothing. At least let me craft queen mirelurk gauntlets Damn it!

Also running into a suicide bomber in a hallway is quite painful I've found

Edit - @ above - what about when they borrow your power Armour?! Dirty settler peasants... &#128544;

Take him as your companion, talk to him and the quest will update. You can drop him immediately if you want. Ran into this with a few quests that had to be turned into someone you can take as a companion.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ya musta ate 5-7 rockets that bitch lol all for nothing. At least let me craft queen mirelurk gauntlets Damn it!

Also running into a suicide bomber in a hallway is quite painful I've found

Edit - @ above - what about when they borrow your power Armour?! Dirty settler peasants... &#128544;

Speaking of Suicide Bomber, I am curious as to *how* exactly Melee-focused character can deal with them. I mean, how? Just running around till they explode on themselves I suppose...? Seems like a melee-character's worst nightmare.

eh, the minutemen are basically a band of raiders waiting to happen that you lead- preston is an idealistic retard who doesn't understand why the previous version of the minutemen imploded into the billions of raider groups scouring the commonwealth and you end up following the exact same path that the last one tread because he's the one guiding the reconstruction efforts and leading the group.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Minutemen just the Yes Man faction of Fallout 4 in the event you get piss drunk and murder all the other faction leaders?

jfoul

Here are some of my settlements.

Sanctuary
  1. 11E173AC3AEB750A278FB23DF2BC47C9DE39C9BA

Red Rocket

Drive-In

Seyavesh

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Minutemen just the Yes Man faction of Fallout 4 in the event you get piss drunk and murder all the other faction leaders?

mechanically, yeah
but in terms of story
they're a huge mess waiting to happen and actually probably the second worst faction in terms of how much of a threat they pose to the commonwealth in the future. the worst is obviously the institute going full idiot mode and having synths outpopulate humans/actually go into full scifi dystopia territory but assuming strong management of the minutemen ingame you've basically created a ton of small raider communities waiting to happen except this time they've got artillery.
i just find that pretty funny in it's own right

skyhaven

Neo Member
Speaking of Suicide Bomber, I am curious as to *how* exactly Melee-focused character can deal with them. I mean, how? Just running around till they explode on themselves I suppose...? Seems like a melee-character's worst nightmare.

That's why you keep one critical banked. Switch to pistol and just autocrit on Right Arm = Problem Solved.

Minuteman would be an acceptable faction if they hadn't been so utterly devastated the moment you met them. I know it's Bethesda being Bethesda, but really, it would be akin to you joining Skyrim's Companions who just got slaughtered down to just two brothers and a bunch of scared villagers they were supposed to save. Turns out they were savaged by Claw of Death, the legendary Dragon of Quinsee and require you to equip the Powerius Maximus Dwemer Armor located atop the tower they were taking shelter in. The catch? You have to unlock a Novice lock to recover the Dwemer power core in the basement to power it up first. You then insert the core, shot the Dragon down with Meenae'gan, a legendary bow of Dragonslayer. Where upon killing the dragon, one of the remaining two companions, Prestus Gaveorn declare you as their newest leader because he saw you in his dreams.

Spreading resources too thinly just now. I am happy with Sanctuary, some great buildings and happiness is high (need to spend a lot on loads of clinics to get the achievement).

Abernethy Farm is well fortified and no radier would dream of attacking.

Spectacle Island is my current pet project, shacks on top of wooden foundations on the beach connected by bridges with a farm in the middle and some shops and the only way to get to the farm and shacks is a highly defended entrance with lasers and guards. Needs finishing and may spread out over the island but noticed its the only camp I've had been attacked by raiders. Very annoying but I was there so it was very swiftly dealt with.

Decided to Save game and side with the brotherhood. Their
vertibird
grenades have saved me many a time and allow me to get back to my base when I
am over encumbered

So the MacCready follower Perk: Killshot gives you a 20% headshot accuracy in VATS. So now I'm getting 95% even when at full range and higher accuracy than bodyshots. Barely a need for the Sniper Perk except maybe for the first Perk point. Anyone who uses VATS has to get him asap, and his quest/s are pretty good although may require a decent lvl, say post 20's.
Wish I had got him sooner.

I'm not always happy how the game places you in immediate danger if you fast travel. I jumped somewhere only to be ambushed by 2 suicide super mutants and two others. Maybe that's the downside of fast travel. Annoying though.

Tom Penny

Finally starting to like this game because it runs proper. Oddly enough its because of a texture mod that made the game look better yet it somehow runs considerably better than before.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I'm currently level 33 and have finally decided to do main story by following Nick Valentine and Dogmeat out of Diamond City to find
Kellogg.

First enemy we encounter outside the city? Alpha Deathclaw.

Hahs

Explode 'em right back..lure them into some mines either before or after the molotovs - rest in pieces, Suicide Bomber.

EDIT: from XP, it helps to have impeccable sneaking

Going to start barrelling through the game now, it's been a great 80 hours but it's starting to wear a bit thin. Especially having to put weapon customization on old for the seeming eternity it takes to reach level 39.

Also, did anyone find the (Hunter/Hunted)
Courser
fight stupid hard? I got bodied a few times before just dropping the difficulty down to very easy lol

Rhaknar

Any tips on building a cozy bar?
Do I have to assign someone to be a bartender?

You cant. Well you can build one of those stores, one is a bar, but it doesnt look like the bar you want to build. You cant assign people to stoves which is what you would use in your bar (closest thing), settlers just randomly go use it

Nobody actually shoots pool at pool tables either :p

Minuteman would be an acceptable faction if they hadn't been so utterly devastated the moment you met them. I know it's Bethesda being Bethesda, but really, it would be akin to you joining Skyrim's Companions who just got slaughtered down to just two brothers and a bunch of scared villagers they were supposed to save. Turns out they were savaged by Claw of Death, the legendary Dragon of Quinsee and require you to equip the Powerius Maximus Dwemer Armor located atop the tower they were taking shelter in. The catch? You have to unlock a Novice lock to recover the Dwemer power core in the basement to power it up first. You then insert the core, shot the Dragon down with Meenae'gan, a legendary bow of Dragonslayer. Where upon killing the dragon, one of the remaining two companions, Prestus Gaveorn declare you as their newest leader because he saw you in his dreams.

I dont remember anything in Skyrim as cool as that quest you made up tho :(

:3

johnsmith

remember me
Do multiple broadcast towers recruit settlers faster? Most of my settlements are stuck around 10 when I can support 20+. Is it due to low happiness? I want to build up hangman's alley to be packed. It has enough food, water and beds to support 20+ people. Had to get really creative in such a small space. I thought Jamaica Plains was tiny, but this is even tinier. Are there any other smaller settlements?

bobawesome

Ugh, this quest bug has completely killed my desire to keep playing the game at this point. After Googling around today and yesterday I can't find anyone with the same issue so I really doubt it'll be fixed in a patch.

Going to start barrelling through the game now, it's been a great 80 hours but it's starting to wear a bit thin. Especially having to put weapon customization on old for the seeming eternity it takes to reach level 39.

Also, did anyone find the (Hunter/Hunted)
Courser
fight stupid hard? I got bodied a few times before just dropping the difficulty down to very easy lol

Protip:
Give Mama Murphy chems before going there. She gives you an alternative to that fight akin to the Kill Phrases in Deus Ex.

Steel

Banned
You cant. Well you can build one of those stores, one is a bar, but it doesnt look like the bar you want to build. You cant assign people to stoves which is what you would use in your bar (closest thing), settlers just randomly go use it

Nobody actually shoots pool at pool tables either :p

I'd imagine mods will eventually fix that.

Speaking of, two very nice mods that add hundreds of options to settlement creation between them here(including pre-war stuff):

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1478/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/m...4/ajax/moddescription/?id=1145&preview=&pUp=1

If anyone's interested anyway.

What triggers Magnolia's music to play on Diamond City radio? Now I feel like every time I switch on the radio it's Lynda Carter's bloody warbling, or Crawl Out Through the Fallout. God-freakin-damnit. It's too late for me to go back and fix it, unfortunately, as I had an excellent legendary drop, and it wasn't worth loosing it. Is it just visiting The Third Rail, talking to her, or sleeping with her that triggers the music? I also did Travis' quest, which may have triggered it as well.

Also, a warning re: easter egg character from Goodneighbor's hotel -
if you invite Vault Tec guy back to Sanctuary, don't transfer him over to Red Rocket, because he'll be talking at you every few minutes with his spiel. I thought I'd turn him into a trader to make him leave, but he wouldn't - and then I had a perpetually running brahmin permanently stuck in Red Rocket's garage. I did reload a two hour save for that.

You just sold me on the Minutemen plotline.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Big Dig spoiler:
can you break Mel out without turning Diamond City hostile?

Morokh

I'd imagine mods will eventually fix that.

Speaking of, two very nice mods that add hundreds of options to settlement creation between them here(including pre-war stuff):

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1478/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/m...4/ajax/moddescription/?id=1145&preview=&pUp=1

If anyone's interested anyway.

While I don't necessarily agree with adding things like Vault walls/doors, or some other specific things like that in the objects available for settlements, with the amount of things you see everywhere in the game that hasn't been implemented as available in the settlement system, it's hard not to assume that they went with 'mods will fix that' in mind when wrapping it up .....
The settler limit based on Charisma and the happiness sytem seem a bit odd as well ...

For the lack of options and the settlement-size limit, it actually bothers me to use mods, because even before starting to mess with it you know it will be annoying and it should have been made different in the first place ....

I mean I tried to work around Jamaica Plain the other day, spent a good 8+ hours on it just to get the layout right and 'secure' it as well as humanly possible, and just when I wanted to start to finish fence it up, and spruce it up a bit, I already was at the build limit ...
Then the castle, you start getting to an interesting place with your setup, you still have like 80% of the place available to build, but NOPE ....

Top Bottom