• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
AFAIK all companions do and you will know you're done with them once you get a perk from them.

Yeah she's my Lovable Trophy so that means she's actually the first companion that I had maximum affinity with and got a perk from, and she didn't give me any quest.

Not all I think.

Ahh I see, thanks.

Probably been asked a million times already but can I sell the magazines to vendors and still keep the perks attached to them or do I lose them once unequipped? Thanks!

Why would you do that? They're nice trophies and I just put them in a magazine rack inside my house in Sanctuary, they're nice to look at :) If your concern is money, water purifiers can solve that reaaaaaaaallllly easy and THEN some.

Anyways... once you get a perk from them it's permanent.

Zekes!

Man the Silver Shroud quest is the best. The writing and voice acting in this game may have problems, but they was legit funny in this quest.

Another example of the voice acting being actually funny was when you first discover
Bunker Hill. When that woman asks you who you are and you select "What?" as your dialog choice and your character (at least the male one) yells "WHAT?" like he's deaf.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Man, I don't know what's up with the facegen for female characters, but I can never get it right. All my attempts at making a female character have looked absolutely ghastly.

Is there some trick to this? All my attempts at male characters have came out perfect, but absolutely dreadful when trying to do a female one. It just feels like the female face editor is just, a whole lot less flexible. I can make a perfectly chiseled male face, or damn well any face I can imagine, but on the female it feels like certain facial features are hardlocked to be X when Y is set to Z. Been trying to make her look like Saber Arturia for a melee-tank build for Survival, but all my experiments with the facegen end up looking like I threw white paint on a female Super Mutant.

I mean, you're tying to make an animu waifu in a western RPG character creator. The aesthetics just don't match up. You gotta wait for all the weeb mods to come out first. Try back in a couple months.

lt519

Man the Silver Shroud quest is the best. The writing and voice acting in this game may have problems, but they was legit funny in this quest.

I enjoyed it a lot and listening to the radio station as I ran around. You'll enjoy the USS Constitution quest too, I thought it was pretty hysterical. Go east from bunker hill if you haven't done it yet.

Pilgrimzero

This game is going to break me. Played all day. Probably at about 80 hours in and I still have side missions! Ive only just
killed Kellog
for the main mission When will it end!?!?!?

dab0ne

OP

Thumbnail_Large.PNG
Is this a random pickup or is it located on someone specific? Also...what difficulty are you playing on?

Question regarding allegiances.

I just gave Virgil what he wanted.
now I have 3 optional quest objectives. Which should I choose?

I kind of like to play these games with as many options available as possible. What did you guys do?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The game said if you want to get higher chance of Legendary weapons/armor you need to play on higher difficulties...

But I play on Normal and I got so many of them I lost count, hahaha. I am currently level 26.

My favorite weapon right now, the one I named Doom Bringer, is just insane. It's a Combat Shotgun, fully modded, with added explosive damage that's just crazy. I also have a Sniper Rifle that I named Penetrator, that ignore 30% armor and damage resistance.

bati

I got that weapon with a similar effect in
vault 81
for 3000 caps, it's also possible he got it from a legendary enemy.

It's probably a drop, the one you mentioned is a a combat rifle base which can only be modded to .308 and it looks a lot different too.

lt519

Question regarding allegiances.

I just gave Virgil what he wanted.
now I have 3 optional quest objectives. Which should I choose?

I kind of like to play these games with as many options available as possible. What did you guys do?

If the quest you are on is titled Molecular Level you are still a few main missions from points of no return, so go ahead for a little while. What you choose amongst those options won't have any long lasting effect. Make an extra save here if you want though. When you've hit a mission called Mass Fusion or Tactical Thinking you've gotten to a true decision point.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Cool thanks for the tips. Time to hit the wastes!

Keep in mind that
the overseer's guardian in vault 81
makes use of the rifleman perk so you might want to put a point there if you can. Oh does anyone else feels that the rifleman perk is a must have? Most of the weapons that you find early game make use of that perk, i never did find that many assault rifles.

It's probably a drop, the one you mentioned is a a combat rifle base which can only be modded to .308 and it looks a lot different too.

yep that's right, i'm dumb.

Does this game end after a certain quest? Or can I always go and do quests and be in any faction and do any quests regardless of where I am with another faction or where I am with the story

Roussow

So I've seen Vault
mentioned throughout here quite a bit.
I'm roughly 30 hours in here, and I haven't yet come across any semblance of it. I'd be interested if their was a couple reasonably spoiler free hints just get me there (or to the quest that triggers it).

IIRC its mentioned when you talk to some traders. If you want to know where it is
West of Diamond City, just outside Boston, near a small lake.

Cheers!

So I've seen Vault
I'm roughly 30 hours in here, and I haven't yet come across any semblance of it. I'd be interested if their was a couple reasonably spoiler free hints just get me there (or to the quest that triggers it).

IIRC its mentioned when you talk to some traders. If you want to know where it is
West of Diamond City, just outside Boston, near a small lake.

So I decided to start the game with mostly luck, charisma, and perception, and this has ended up working great for me as my primary playstyle has ended up with a heavy emphasis on rifles and VATS.

I have to give Bethesda credit on making the city structure really reward vertical exploration. I'm loving the isolated sniper's nests, I wish I could just settle in to one of these as my home.

Picking off raiders from 300 yards feels amazing. Good god, the distant environments are ugly as shit through the scopes, though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Does this game end after a certain quest? Or can I always go and do quests and be in any faction and do any quests regardless of where I am with another faction or where I am with the story

There will be a cutoff point where you have to choose a faction in order to proceed forward, and this will make people from other factions flagged as enemies, including companions (the perk you get before you turned them hostile will still be there though.) Obviously any incomplete quests you get from those factions will be failed as well.

Also you can play the game after the main story but people say that some of the quests will be closed at that point.

So I decided to start the game with mostly luck, charisma, and perception, and this has ended up working great for me as my primary playstyle has ended up with a heavy emphasis on rifles and VATS.

I have to give Bethesda credit on making the city structure really reward vertical exploration. I'm loving the isolated sniper's nests, I wish I could just settle in to one of these as my home.

Picking off raiders from 300 yards feels amazing. Good god, the distant environments are ugly as shit through the scopes, though.

You don't do Agility with that? Planning to go with a sniping, stealthy build for my next character and for ranged attack I think the damage boost from Ninja is very significant, correct?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So I've seen Vault

Cheers!

That's a location that just showed up on my map before I'd been there because I overheard some NPC talking about it. Talk to everyone you can in Diamond City. I'm 99% sure that's where it showed up for me.

There will be a cutoff point where you have to choose a faction in order to proceed forward, and this will make people from other factions flagged as enemies, including companions (the perk you get before you turned them hostile will still be there though.) Obviously any incomplete quests you get from those factions will be failed as well.

Also you can play the game after the main story but people say that some of the quests will be closed at that point.

Okay, thanks for the heads up

I came back to the Drive in and most of my important structures were damaged? Did enemies attack and wreck all my stuff when I wasn't around? Don't recall having a notification to defend the place. Haven't taken any casualties.

If the quest you are on is titled Molecular Level you are still a few main missions from points of no return, so go ahead for a little while. What you choose amongst those options won't have any long lasting effect. Make an extra save here if you want though. When you've hit a mission called Mass Fusion or Tactical Thinking you've gotten to a true decision point.
thanks 😃

bati

Oh does anyone else feels that the rifleman perk is a must have? Most of the weapons that you find early game make use of that perk, i never did find that many assault rifles.

Well you can mod most guns to be either semi or auto. I think the only exception are sniper rifles, non-laser shotguns and non-laser pistols.

That said, I think Rifleman is by far the strongest of the four choices we get. I got to about lvl 20 in my previous playthrough and used rifleman from the start. Early game was fairly comfortable because the perk also covers shotguns which are devastating when you're starting out. Having good damage on sniper rifles is also a huge advantage early in the game.

On my second character which is now lvl 55, I've played a crit luck pistol build for the first 50 levels. Early game was a pain in the ass at times and the build only fully developed once I could chain crits all the time, which was at lvl 40+. It also forced me into VATS all the time which was the #1 reason why I respecced (playing on the PC so was I able to use a tool for it). The problem with pistols is that the only really damaging caliber is .44 and the ammo for it is pretty rare, even with a few points in scrounger perk. So instead of that I used a modded Righteous Authority with a pistol stock which worked fairly well and the ammo for it is plentiful.

At lvl 52 I respecced using the Fallout 4 Respec Tool and decided to go for a non-vats Commando build. Damage was ok but I felt like I was wasting too many bullets. After about an hour my supply of 4500 .45 caliber bullets decreased by 500, and that was with an Overseer's Guardian rifle (automatic receiver). With any other rifle I would've spent way more bullets. I barely noticed the stagger from Commando perk, the targets either died so fast that I didn't notice or it just didn't seem to proc.

After this short test with full auto weapons I've decided to play it safe and fell back to Rifleman. It basically confirmed at high level what I've known all along - it's pretty much perfect for the way the game is currently balanced. It's good for ammo conservation (and covers a wide selection of different calibers) and it's got a builtin armor penetration mechanic which plays really well into the way armor works in this game (heavy penalty to high rate of fire low damage weapons). It also covers long (sniper), mid (assault rifle) and close (shotgun) range weapons, making it by far the most versatile perk.

So I think at some point hours and hours and hours ago when I was on one of my endless sanctuary settlement rebuilding episodes I scrapped or lost mamas chair now she's complaining again about needing somewhere to sit but I no longer have the special category to build her chair. On PS4. Any ideas what can be done?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Keep in mind that
the overseer's guardian in vault 81
makes use of the rifleman perk so you might want to put a point there if you can. Oh does anyone else feels that the rifleman perk is a must have? Most of the weapons that you find early game make use of that perk, i never did find that many assault rifles. .

Huh? You got so many rifles in the game even early game. Pipe rifles, hunting rifles, even the Laser Musket you get from that early Museum of Freedom mission counts as a rifle, and shotguns also count as a rifle and you get so many of them early game from raiders. Rifleman is essential for shotguns alone. Especially important if you want to snipe things. Not to mention Laser Rifles and such also count under that perk. Not to mention there are so many enemies wearing armors in this game so the ignore-armor benefit is very important too.

Assault rifles on the other hand are benefiting from Commando, not Rifleman..... at least if I'm understanding you correctly.

I consider Rifleman is a *must* have for any Gun Build, actually. In my opinion it is definitely much more important than Commando and, if only we don't have to depend on pistols too much in the early game, Gunslinger.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Well you can mod most guns to be either semi or auto. I think the only exception are sniper rifles, non-laser shotguns and non-laser pistols.

That said, I think Rifleman is by far the strongest of the four choices we get. I got to about lvl 20 in my previous playthrough and used rifleman from the start. Early game was fairly comfortable because the perk also covers shotguns which are devastating when you're starting out. Having good damage on sniper rifles is also a huge advantage early in the game.

On my second character which is now lvl 55, I've played a crit luck pistol build for the first 50 levels. Early game was a pain in the ass at times and the build only fully developed once I could chain crits all the time, which was at lvl 40+. It also forced me into VATS all the time which was the #1 reason why I respecced (playing on the PC so was I able to use a tool for it). The problem with pistols is that the only really damaging caliber is .44 and the ammo for it is pretty rare, even with a few points in scrounger perk. So instead of that I used a modded Righteous Authority with a pistol stock which worked fairly well and the ammo for it is plentiful.

At lvl 52 I respecced using the Fallout 4 Respec Tool and decided to go for a non-vats Commando build. Damage was ok but I felt like I was wasting too many bullets. After about an hour my supply of 4500 .45 caliber bullets decreased by 500, and that was with an Overseer's Guardian rifle (automatic receiver). With any other rifle I would've spent way more bullets. I barely noticed the stagger from Commando perk, the targets either died so fast that I didn't notice or it just didn't seem to proc.

After this short test with full auto weapons I've decided to play it safe and fell back to Rifleman. It basically confirmed at high level what I've known all along - it's pretty much perfect for the way the game is currently balanced. It's good for ammo conservation (and covers a wide selection of different calibers) and it's got a builtin armor penetration mechanic which plays really well into the way armor works in this game (heavy penalty to high rate of fire low damage weapons). It also covers long (sniper), mid (assault rifle) and close (shotgun) range weapons, making it by far the most versatile perk.

Nice write up of your perk experimentation! i feel you found out how OP rifleman is, that armor penetration is insane plus the rank 5 perk gives you double damage. I think for my next playthrough i'm gonna with 10 luck for critical banker and just go ham in vats with the crits.

Hm, is there a certain path you're supposed to be doing in the early going? I've done the Reunions quest, currently level 12 and I want to explore, but every other side quest seems to result in running into a legendary enemy or something.

Just found the entrance to the parking garage that seemed to be out of The Riddlers mind. Really cool, kind of freaky. The entrance is by gallons. Anyone else go through it.

I'm at that point in the game where I have so many different quests to choose from I have no idea what to do! I guess do the non-main story/faction ones and than grind the main story until the big decision point?

Also I feel like the quests that require you to talk to companions (not actual companion quests) are totally bugged. "The Lost Patrol" for example as I got to really meet the BoS and now Danse doesn't care lol

Kalentan

Weird, my happiness in Sanctuary is dropping. Was in the 60s and now in the 50s. The population is 16 and despite the emergency sign being next to it in the workshops menu of the pipboy, it gives no specifics as to what is causing it.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Huh? You got so many rifles in the game even early game. Pipe rifles, hunting rifles, even the Laser Musket you get from that early Museum of Freedom mission counts as a rifle, and shotguns also count as a rifle and you get so many of them early game from raiders. Rifleman is essential for shotguns alone. Especially important if you want to snipe things. Not to mention Laser Rifles and such also count under that perk. Not to mention there are so many enemies wearing armors in this game so the ignore-armor benefit is very important too.

Assault rifles on the other hand are benefiting from Commando, not Rifleman..... at least if I'm understanding you correctly.

I consider Rifleman is a *must* have for any Gun Build, actually. In my opinion it is definitely much more important than Commando and, if only we don't have to depend on pistols too much in the early game, Gunslinger.

Of course Assault rifles benefit from commando i know that, i feel you misunderstood me or i explained myself poorly, probably the latter. I'm gonna go sleep now.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Weird, my happiness in Sanctuary is dropping. Was in the 60s and now in the 50s. The population is 16 and despite the emergency sign being next to it in the workshops menu of the pipboy, it gives no specifics as to what is causing it.

There is an agreed consensus in the community that it seems there is a glitch/bug involving community's happiness going down randomly whenever you are not there.

And the easiest way to get 100 happiness is just to build a mass amount of clinics, hahah.

Of course Assault rifles benefit from commando i know that, i feel you misunderstood me or i explained myself poorly, probably the latter. I'm gonna go sleep now.

Maybe I just misunderstood you :)

Hopefully you will have a "Well Rested" or even better, "Lover's Embrace" when you get up! :)

Just did a mission called "The Big Dig"

Easily the most frustrating mission yet. Tight corridors and multiple companions are not a fun experience in this game.

Rixxan

Guys, I need some help - I'm starting to think my game is bugged out near end game and i cant finish it.

Near end game spoilers

I have this quest Form Ranks, to attain more settlements for the Minutemen. I keep getting sent on repeatable quests by Preston. I have over 8 settlements and they just keep repeating, its incredibly frustrating.

Can anyone help?

Sullichin

I put the stability mod (better aim with scopes) on both my right and left arm piece and I'm not really noticing it. I don't think it stacks at least.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yo, guys. I'm on the quest "Tradecraft" and need help.

I'm trying to get the prototype from inside of the Switchboard but the marker is behind a giant vault door that requires a terminal. There's a terminal next to it but it's inaccessible. What do I do here? Did I miss something?

Tainted

Just did a mission called "The Big Dig"

Easily the most frustrating mission yet. Tight corridors and multiple companions are not a fun experience in this game.

Uh huh... That quest sucked for that very reason. When I played it, that digging robot thing got stuck on a corner so it pretty much hosed the quest as I needed him to proceed.

Save often people !

Does anyone know what armor/armor pieces the loading screen model of the guy in the Vault jumpsuit with welding goggles is wearing? I really want that get-up.

Top Bottom