• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

You cant. Well you can build one of those stores, one is a bar, but it doesnt look like the bar you want to build. You cant assign people to stoves which is what you would use in your bar (closest thing), settlers just randomly go use it

Nobody actually shoots pool at pool tables either :p

Well, that's kinda disappointing.
But at least the settlers will hang around at the bar a lot, and I'll be happy with that. Gonna build it tonight.

Figments

mechanically, yeah
but in terms of story
they're a huge mess waiting to happen and actually probably the second worst faction in terms of how much of a threat they pose to the commonwealth in the future. the worst is obviously the institute going full idiot mode and having synths outpopulate humans/actually go into full scifi dystopia territory but assuming strong management of the minutemen ingame you've basically created a ton of small raider communities waiting to happen except this time they've got artillery.
i just find that pretty funny in it's own right

They only pose a threat if they lack cohesion. Given time, dedication, and a general attitude leaning towards sticking together, the Minutemen could easy become a more organized force, and even gain considerable power. I have a hard time seeing the Minutemen as another mess waiting to happen when they have a fucking public radio broadcast that updates everyone on dangerous situations in the Commonwealth.

They fell apart because of a freak accident, not because of some grand conspiracy and coup d'état. So long as they can keep cohesion by establishing a hierarchy of power, then it's all good. I see them as more a potential NCR in the making, especially if, at some point in the future, they manage to influence Diamond City.

Steel

Banned
While I don't necessarily agree with adding things like Vault walls/doors, or some other specific things like that in the objects available for settlements, with the amount of things you see everywhere in the game that hasn't been implemented as available in the settlement system, it's hard not to assume that they went with 'mods will fix that' in mind when wrapping it up .....
The settler limit based on Charisma and the happiness sytem seem a bit odd as well ...

For the lack of options and the settlement-size limit, it actually bothers me to use mods, because even before starting to mess with it you know it will be annoying and it should have been made different in the first place ....

I mean I tried to work around Jamaica Plain the other day, spent a good 8+ hours on it just to get the layout right and 'secure' it as well as humanly possible, and just when I wanted to start to finish fence it up, and spruce it up a bit, I already was at the build limit ...
Then the castle, you start getting to an interesting place with your setup, you still have like 80% of the place available to build, but NOPE ....

I mean, why not add vault doors and walls? You literally have a vault right next to your first settlement to get the materials from.

Morokh

If I love New Vegas but hated Fallout 3, would I like this game?

Depends why you hated/liked them.

It's certainly closer from 3 than from NV with a lot of mechanical/gameplay improvements.

Story/writing is I'd say a step-up from 3 but still has convenient oversights and plot-holes and not remotely as much 'options' than NV.
Dialogue system is utter trash.

Seyavesh

They only pose a threat if they lack cohesion. Given time, dedication, and a general attitude leaning towards sticking together, the Minutemen could easy become a more organized force, and even gain considerable power. I have a hard time seeing the Minutemen as another mess waiting to happen when they have a fucking public radio broadcast that updates everyone on dangerous situations in the Commonwealth.

They fell apart because of a freak accident, not because of some grand conspiracy and coup d'état. So long as they can keep cohesion by establishing a hierarchy of power, then it's all good. I see them as more a potential NCR in the making.

that's a fair way to view it too, assuming there's that type of advancement within the organization offscreen/when the player is done. but i feel like that kinda line of thought also ends up making the institute hands-down the best organization to support anyhow since you can assume that you just fix their shit up so you can bring the world back to where it was with crazy scifi tech and less slavery+dumbass mad scientist stuff.

the way i see it as presented ingame is various groups of settlements with firearms of varying quality that follow a single person (that's you!) and that's about it. i guess because of the vague nature of the organization/'yes man' style ending there's no formation of them as a genuine path of progress so i just kinda work with what's shown.

the largest issue is that there is little cohesion in the group as a whole beyond their attachment to you (and even then they won't fall in line without some persuasion when you tell them, see: that one institute quest w/ the guy you kidnap) and once any part splinters off because of a bad harvest or whatever human or inhuman drama/crazy shit that comes up from the wastes you start dealing with the exact same issues as the last group of minutemen.

like, preston even addresses it ingame but his answer is basically 'welp here's hoping that people are good' which is pretty silly.

mostly my interpretation is just for kicks and having a laugh at preston's expense because he's pretty much the worst

Rizzi

The combat is the best it has ever been in a modern Fallout game. The writing, dialogue and perk system is all a step back from New Vegas.

UberLevi

Alright, guys. I'm on (main quest spoilers)
The Molecular Level
and I've gotta pick
which faction is going to help me.

This is too big of a decision for me. I don't like it.

If I love New Vegas but hated Fallout 3, would I like this game?

Like the other poster said, you gotta define why you liked NV over 3.

The writing is not Obsidian level, and dialogue has taken a step back in choices and clarity for the sake of the Bioware wheel.

But on the flip side, we have improved combat (melee combat is still not that great), improved mechanics, solids hours of gameplay, fun side content, etc...

So it's still a fallout title but if writing was your biggest issue with 3 then it isn't much better here.

danowat

Banned
The combat is the best it has ever been in a modern Fallout game. The writing, dialogue and perk system is all a step back from New Vegas.

Argee about the combat, the dialogue system is a bit unweidly, granted, but I don't agree about the writing or perk system being worse though.

I don't think the writing in either FO3 or NV was any better, lets be honest, none of these games are tolstoy or dostoevsky, but there is a lot more ambient dialog with NPC's, that does alter to suit what you've done in the world, and this is better than FO3 or NV, and although the perk screen is a bit busy and messy, I prefer the way it works.

Just subjective opinions though, but I probably wouldn't pay to much credence to the "OMG, where is the depth, Bethesda done fucked up", lot though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well at least this game is a lot more stable/dependable for the most part so far than New Vegas on consoles, lol.

Also disagree with the perk system. I like it better in here. Opinions, eh.

I'm trying to get Sanctuary up to 100 happiness and have 10 people (4 companions), 49 water, 40 food, 20 beds and 101 defense. I go to other settlements to send them to Sanctuary but I can only send one person per settlement to Sanctuary. I fast sleep for a few days and they never appear even if I sleep for 7 days.

How long does it take for settlers to travel between settlements and how do I send more than one?

The Big Dig spoiler:
can you break Mel out without turning Diamond City hostile?

I think you can bribe the guard if you have the caps, or pay his bail or something can't remember. I also remember trying to pick the lock with a Stealth boy equipped but don't remember if that actually worked or not lol.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm trying to get Sanctuary up to 100 happiness and have 10 people (4 companions), 49 water, 40 food, 20 beds and 101 defense. I go to other settlements to send them to Sanctuary but I can only send one person per settlement to Sanctuary. I fast sleep for a few days and they never appear even if I sleep for 7 days.

How long does it take for settlers to travel between settlements and how do I send more than one?

IIRC settlers are flagged as non-essential and they travel the world in "real time" so they can be killed in-between their travels if they happen to encounter enemies.

I remember there's a GAF member posted in the previous OT that the settler he assigned to establish the supply line between settlement was killed mid-way.

danowat

Banned
I think you can bribe the guard if you have the caps, or pay his bail or something can't remember. I also remember trying to pick the lock with a Stealth boy equipped but don't remember if that actually worked or not lol.

You can also use the protectron behind the cell to keep the security occupied!

Oh, yeah Fallout 4 didn't crash once for me on PC.
Every other Fallout game crashes constantly.

Same now that I think about it, almost 100 hours in and no crashes that I can think of. All things considered it's probably been the least buggiest Bethesda game for me, which is definitely saying something.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Anyone else think that Assaultrons/Assaultron Dominators are tougher than death claws and other monsters? They're crazy.

i kill them with mines.
you still need a couple of those.
one particular hard encounter was in jamaican settlement. took me 10 mines to kill it.

Alright, guys. I'm on (main quest spoilers)
The Molecular Level
and I've gotta pick
which faction is going to help me.

This is too big of a decision for me. I don't like it.

I thought the same.. But it really isn't. Some different dialog, but that's it. You aren't locked into anyone

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, I really, really like this game, but the dialogue system was a bit of a mistake. It makes sense in The Walking Dead or Mass Effect, Lee and Shepard are characters that voice lines outside of you dialogue options, but Ms Fallout is a nobody, there's nothing to hang the dialogue off. I feel like if I ever press Circle/B, I get a completely different character. My choices are usually Cross/A or Triangle/Y to clarify, and that's it. I'm playing as a somewhat shady character, and even characters in Good Neighbour respond negatively to everything on Circle. It's weird.

It really makes me appreciate games like Mass Effect and TWD in ways I never really noticed before. Their dialogue system works remarkably well given the limitations that Fallout 4 display so prominently.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Do you really think that's the case?, I'm not so sure, I get the feeling that the Soul Survivor is actually quite a big deal in the commonwealth.
I meant that she doesn't exist outside of my dialogue choices. Every word that comes out her mouth, I choose. There's nothing to contextualise the smarmy responses versus the appropriate choice, so it means she has to be written to be one extreme or the other, and it's SUPER jarring if you decide to start alternating between the left and right face buttons during conversations.

danowat

Banned
I meant that she doesn't exist outside of my dialogue choices. Every word that comes out her mouth, I choose. There's nothing to contextualise the smarmy responses versus the appropriate choice, so it means she has to be written to be one extreme or the other, and it's SUPER jarring if you decide to start alternating between the left and right face buttons during conversations.

Yeah, I understand, I try to keep in character by following the same dialogue path myself to try an avoid some of it, but I do understand the criticisms with the dialogue system, and they are warranted.

The Big Dig spoiler:
can you break Mel out without turning Diamond City hostile?

I left the city after talking to him, did some quests, came back and Mel was walking around outside free, without me having to do anything. Probably a glitch but hey I'll take it.

Morokh

I mean, why not add vault doors and walls? You literally have a vault right next to your first settlement to get the materials from.

That's just me being a bit too attached to some kind of realism :p
The whole system is based around a scrap then rebuild system, not only does the game not allow you to really scrap anything from Vaults themselves, but Vaults were also supposed to be some kind of top of the line thing before the war, so re-creating Vault parts in pristine conditions with the tools at your disposal sounds a bit silly.
I mean, furniture, crates, decorations, computers even, why not, you can still justify it because you could in theory just move them from the Vault, but structures themselves seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

On the other hand, in the 'wood' options they could have made some cleaner versions of pretty much everything, as it is one of the easiest material to work properly with basic tools.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I left the city after talking to him, did some quests, came back and Mel was walking around outside free, without me having to do anything. Probably a glitch but hey I'll take it.

(The Big Dig spoiler)
I ended up intimidating a guard, and he mentioned that was set to be released in a day anyway. Mel confirmed it afterwards. I suspect once you talk to him or enter that room, that timer starts?

Can someone give me some tips on settlements ? I have basically built the basic stuff at the main settlement but im not a fan of its layout etc . Would like to setup a proper main house at the place of my choosing (so far the best ones I've seen are the drive through and red rocket )

Is there a limit to the number of settlements you can build up ? And if I build a main settlement I assume Preston always stays at the main settlement , and will the main settlement ever get attacked and force me to build up its protection ?

Wish they explained this stuff better

pahamrick

(The Big Dig spoiler)
I ended up intimidating a guard, and he mentioned that was set to be released in a day anyway. Mel confirmed it afterwards. I suspect once you talk to him or enter that room, that timer starts?

Big Dig Spoiler

I walked in, talked to a guard and suddenly the door to the cell opened and Mel just walked out and no one went hostile. Was an interesting bug.

Alpende

Big Dig Spoiler

I walked in, talked to a guard and suddenly the door to the cell opened and Mel just walked out and no one went hostile. Was an interesting bug.

I walked in, hacked the robot. Robot started shooting guards but did not kill all of them. I think I looted the cell key from a dead guard, used it and walked out of the prison with Mel. Remaining guards didn't do a thing.

just got the second level of the Night Person perk, but I'm not sure if I like the night vision aspect of it. Does anyone here particularly love or hate it?

Seyavesh

Really hope they add Chinese Assault rifles in the DLC I really don't like the current assault rifles

it's like actually kinda criminal how dumb most of the ballistic rifles look
like out of pipe rifle, pipe revolver rifle, combat rifle, hunting rifle, synthetic stock hunting rifle and the assault rifle only the regular wooden hunting rifle looks cool
i think the assault rifle would look cool if there were an option for a banana magazine instead of the weird side magazine or drum magazine

in exchange the laser rifle and musket (not the institute rifle or the plasma rifle, though..) look dope

it's like actually kinda criminal how dumb most of the ballistic rifles look imo

like out of pipe rifle, pipe revolver rifle, combat rifle, hunting rifle, synthetic stock hunting rifle and the assault rifle only the regular wooden hunting rifle looks cool

i think the assault rifle would look cool if there were an option for a banana magazine instead of the weird side magazine or drum magazine
yeah the wooden sniper looks really nice also theres one called
Reba
looks pretty tight

I agree. I really dislike the dialogue options. All I ever do is press Up then Down.
Occasionally I'll use left to get more money, but that's about it.
The mood changes in any extended conversations can be absolutely terrible. It really messes with the illusion of choice when characters jump from angry to happy and back again with no apparent regard for the earlier parts of the conversation.

They could've just replaced all the dialogue option captions with:
Up: What?
Left: LOL
Down: Yes
Right: Fuck off

The left options are the worst, since it's impossible to guess whether it'll be a bit of dark humour banter, or a nasty sarcastic insult.
The Bioware wheel is much better (and I'm not a huge fan of that).
Alpha Protocol did the "4-mood" options much better. I wish there was a "headslam" option. I'd like to try playing as a ridiculously aggressive "Tell me where my son is or die!" badass.

Milton

Banned
One thing that bothers me about this game is that I feel like my avatar is basically a walking vacuum cleaner sucking up all the junk.

it's like actually kinda criminal how dumb most of the ballistic rifles look

in exchange the laser rifle and musket (not the institute rifle or the plasma rifle, though..) look dope
I actually really like the look of the pipe weapons

I agree. I really dislike the dialogue options. All I ever do is press Up then Down.
Occasionally I'll use left to get more money, but that's about it.
The mood changes in any extended conversations can be absolutely terrible. It really messes with the illusion of choice when characters jump from angry to happy and back again with no apparent regard for the earlier parts of the conversation.

They could've just replaced all the dialogue option captions with:
Up: What?
Left: LOL
Down: Yes
Right: Fuck off

The left options are the worst, since it's impossible to guess whether it'll be a bit of dark humour banter, or a nasty sarcastic insult.
The Bioware wheel is much better (and I'm not a huge fan of that).
Alpha Protocol did the "4-mood" options much better. I wish there was a "headslam" option. I'd like to try playing as a ridiculously aggressive "Tell me where my son is or die!" badass.

I really hope that the mod that shows the full dialogue lines makes it to consoles, particularly because of what a gamble choosing "Sarcastic" can be.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ill choose sarcastic all the time regardless because mccready likes it.

dude was ready for the loyalty mission with me after about half-an-hour because I was intimidating people and lockpicking a lot, it was hilarious

Lanrutcon

I actually really like the look of the pipe weapons

Would be awesome if you could goddamn clean or paint them.

Here's what gets me about Bethesda: they implement power armor skins, then only add 3. They implement armor pieces over clothing, then make sure 90% of the clothing in the game can't be used with the armor. They implement settlements, but only give the player access to 10% of the in game assets. They add weapon modification, then make most of the upgrades pointless and mutually exclusive.

I don't want to say some decision maker over there is stupid, but some decision maker over there is stupid. I think Bethesda have grown so reliant on modders that they're in for a rude awakening if they ever do release one of these games on an engine that doesn't support modding.

Top Bottom