• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

No.

If you want to be sure without getting spoiled, just make a hard save every time you're about to turn in a quest. Going with the BoS, I had the game explicitly warn me when I was to become hostile with the Institute. It didn't do that for the Railroad, instead auto-failing every other quest I had with them when I turned in a certain quest to Maxson.

So just keep that save around.

i have done some quests for the BOS people at the police station and for maxson, I have done the first mission i.e. clearing the military base from supermutants. I don't know if I have any old saves prior to joining BOS since I delete them as it supposedly helps the game load faster on ps4. So, what to do now.

Basically, is there any hope for me seeing the freedom trail quest line through or will I have to start a new game altogether ?

Oh god Dunwich Borers scared that crap out of me, I wasn't ready for that shit in my routine raider sweep lol. Wowwwwww.
I loved the narrative in the terminal and the weird flashbacks, also the reward unique is crazy awesome and reminds me a lot of a certain familiar demon lord...

This game could be a fantastic horror game.

Haha yep, I really liked that dungeon, that's where I got the daggar on the previous page.

Vex_

Banned
Yea. There are a lot of jump scares in this game you don't expect. The revamped ghouls and mirelurks are complete assholes this time around.

Also, has anyone run into the DEATHCLAWS of the green apple variety? Holy shit I just ran into one. It was night, and I didn't know what it was. I thought it was a "glowing one" ghoul... Until it got close.

So it seems enemies start getting modified/changing as you level up?

N° 2048

Yea. There are a lot of jump scares in this game you don't expect. The revamped ghouls and mirelurks are complete assholes this time around.

Also, has anyone run into the DEATHCLAWS of the green apple variety? Holy shit I just ran into one. It was night, and I didn't know what it was. I thought it was a "glowing one" ghoul... Until it got close.

No, enemies don't scale to level I think. You're probably heading more south or it's random?

Yeah. They start off small like Glowing Radroaches and start getting bigger. Had a Glowing Radstag once. Literally came running at me out of nowhere!
Still I think I hate the Charred Feral Ghouls the most. When they're at my lvl (79 now) they're fucking deadly.
As you move South they get tougher but they will randomly pop up all over every so often.

So far my favorite companion is
Curie
, but whenever I try to leave her behind somewhere and take someone else, she disappears. She's never where I tell her to go, never back at
Vault 81
, nothing. So I've been exclusively using her just so I don't lose her. Is this a known issue and does anyone have any tips on what I could do to prevent it from happening?

So far my favorite companion is
Curie
, but whenever I try to leave her behind somewhere and take someone else, she disappears. She's never where I tell her to go, never back at
Vault 81
, nothing. So I've been exclusively using her just so I don't lose her. Is this a known issue and does anyone have any tips on what I could do to prevent it from happening?
I've never lost her but they can be hard to find if the settlement they go to is full of people. That said I can't find Dogmeat st the moment so maybe they do get lost.

Ken

No, enemies don't scale to level I think. You're probably heading more south or it's random?

I think either as you level or travel down South, higher enemy "tiers" are introduced that you've never seen before like Withered Ghouls, Glowing Deathclaws, Raider Survivalists, and Mirelurk Killclaws to name a few.

I think someone here described their encounter with a
Chameleon Deathclaw in the Witchcraft Museum, but when I went it was just an Alpha Deathclaw. Also think they had over 20 levels on me.

Vex_

Banned
Yeah. They start off small like Glowing Radroaches and start getting bigger. Had a Glowing Radstag once. Literally came running at me out of nowhere!
Still I think I hate the Charred Feral Ghouls the most. When they're at my lvl (79 now) they're fucking deadly.
As you move South they get tougher but they will randomly pop up all over every so often.

Charred what now??? Oh god.

I'm only level 33 now.

GhaleonEB

So, another dumb question. I now have the second perk of Local Leader, which says I can build workstations at settlements. I'm at home in Diamond City, having hauled my first power armor there from a good distance. How do I build work stations? I can't seem to find them from any menu in the workshop menu.

Oooh. Are the power armor "construction lifts" an item you can build?

Same question - how?

After 41 hours of mostly bug free gameplay, I am getting hammered with gamestopper type bugs now. I got the one where I can't get in the Brotherhood of Steel police station without falling thru the floor and
Vault 75's
quest won't start.

So I "beat" the game, or at least finished the storyline. God, Bethesda's storytelling is horrible. And with the dire conversation engine in this game, it's really worse than before.

I think I might make up a topic about it once I've fleshed out my thoughts a bit.

Vex_

Banned
You have some nightmare fuel still ahead of you, brother. This game can get fucking dark and it's even moodier if you install the Darkness Mod, which really brings out the best in the lighting

Yea I got a sick nasty sweet reshade preset and I have that mod to enhance darkness since it was recommended by the reshade author. Game looks legit at night.

Also, wtf is with DEATHCLAWS throwing dust into the air when in "caution"? They checking the wind direction??lol?? Or is that just a cool animation????

I hide behind a wall, and then it loses track of me, throws dirt into the air, and starts sniffing????

Haunted

With all this talk about people being afraid that factions will eventually turn hostile, surely I'm not the only one who roleplays the main story line instead of min-maxing it. After the introductory quests where each faction establishes their stance on the central issue of the game, my character considers the BoS and Institute
(son or no son)
to be on the wrong side of history and doesn't want to work for them. Min-maxing the faction quest content in the game and doing all the missions for each faction before them turning hostile would be unthinkable for the character I'm playing.

So, another dumb question. I now have the second perk of Local Leader, which says I can build workstations at settlements. I'm at home in Diamond City, having hauled my first power armor there from a good distance. How do I build work stations? I can't seem to find them from any menu in the workshop menu.

Same question - how?

Should be under the "Crafting" section, next to the cooking stove and the weapons bench.

Same question - how?

You can only build limited items there.

EDIT: If you are on PC you can try this

Opening the console and typing addkeyword 5A0C8 while targeting the workshop inside of Home Plate, can enable most items for construction.

Machina

Banned
Yea I got a sick nasty sweet reshade preset and I have that mod to enhance darkness since it was recommended by the reshade author. Game looks legit at night.

Also, wtf is with DEATHCLAWS throwing dust into the air when in "caution"? They checking the wind direction??lol?? Or is that just a cool animation????

I hide behind a wall, and then it loses track of me, throws dirt into the air, and starts sniffing????

It's trying to find out if you are upwind or downwind so it knows where to look for your scent. I don't know if that is actually a thing that the Deathclaw can do but if it didn't find you, I guess not, because I'm pretty sure the Lone Wanderer would be REEKING after running around in the Wasteland for 10 hours.

Hastati

You have some nightmare fuel still ahead of you, brother. This game can get fucking dark and it's even moodier if you install the Darkness Mod, which really brings out the best in the lighting

The realistic lights mod for those who don't have it disables all of the useless interior and exterior skylights throughout the game and it dramatically improves lighting everywhere. One of the reasons I got so piss scared in that dungeon was because it was dark to begin with and then something flipped the breakers LOL ugh.

I'm so in love with exploration in this game, best its ever been by far in a BGS game. Especially the robots. Oh god, whether it's pirate robots, or parading robots, I can't get enough of them.

Also museum of witchcraft survival mode WHY

GhaleonEB

Should be under the "Crafting" section, next to the cooking stove and the weapons bench.
There is no crafting section. Only Furniture, Decorations, and Power.

You can only build limited items there.

Oh no. Can you really not build any crafting stations there? Is this the only house in Diamond City? I spent the better part of this week saving up, buying the house, moving all my gear here, and leveling up high enough to put crafting stations in it. My plan was for this to be my main base.

With all this talk about people being afraid that factions will eventually turn hostile, surely I'm not the only one who roleplays the main story line instead of min-maxing it. After the introductory quests where each faction establishes their stance on the central issue of the game, my character considers the BoS and Institute
(son or no son)
to be on the wrong side of history and doesn't want to work for them. Min-maxing the faction quest content in the game and doing all the missions for each faction before them turning hostile would be unthinkable for the character I'm playing.

I get that. But at the same time, I'm just going through the game once (might play again heavily modded in a few years) and want to see as much of the content as possible.

Oh no. Can you really not build any crafting stations there? Is this the only house in Diamond City? I spent the better part of this week saving up, buying the house, moving all my gear here, and leveling up high enough to put crafting stations in it. My plan was for this to be my main base.

There's a Power Armor dealie right outside your house, but yeah... I don't think you can do anything inside.

Oh no. Can you really not build any crafting stations there? Is this the only house in Diamond City? I spent the better part of this week saving up, buying the house, moving all my gear here, and leveling up high enough to put crafting stations in it.

Afraid so. Though I did edit in a possible workaround if you are on PC.

Haunted

I've never lost her but they can be hard to find if the settlement they go to is full of people. That said I can't find Dogmeat st the moment so maybe they do get lost.
The dog usually hangs out near a dog house if there is one in the settlement it is supposed to wait in. I couldn't find Dog in Sanctuary and simply built one in the workshop - it suddenly turned up a minute later. :D

I've considered making a completely empty settlement where I send all the companions only so it's easier to keep track of them. Kind of like a companion pit stop station to have an easier time switching them out and equipping them. :D Anyone have an idea for which settlement would be best suited for something like that? Small, fairly "empty" and easy to overlook?

i have done some quests for the BOS people at the police station and for maxson, I have done the first mission i.e. clearing the military base from supermutants. I don't know if I have any old saves prior to joining BOS since I delete them as it supposedly helps the game load faster on ps4. So, what to do now.

Basically, is there any hope for me seeing the freedom trail quest line through or will I have to start a new game altogether ?
You haven't even remotely reached the point of no return yet. In fact, it's still so far away its textures haven't loaded in.

If you haven't wiped out the Railroad, you're still good to go.

GhaleonEB

There's a Power Armor dealie right outside your house, but yeah... I don't think you can do anything inside.

Afraid so. Though I did edit in a possible workaround if you are on PC.

I'm dumbfounded. The only house in the main city and I can't craft there. This has been the plan that got me back into the game, as I've hated every settlement site I've found so far, don't want companions or settlers, and don't want to build. I just want a shack to craft in (this house was suggested to me when I mentioned this a few days ago).

I don't want to build, just have a small shack with my crafting stations, storage lockers, and a power armor suit station, in a nice central location. I dumped 2000 caps into it, moved all my junk from all the other workshops I had found (on foot - I don't fast travel, took ~10 trips back and forth), burned 5-6 levels into charisma and the perks, hauled a power armor suit across the map (walking underwater a huge chunk of the time).

So I finally have all my stuff in one place, my armor and weapons sorted into lockers, the house wired up with lights (huzzah), and ran one quest to get enough XP to get the perk. And I can't craft.

Adjectives fail me. :(

Haunted

I get that. But at the same time, I'm just going through the game once (might play again heavily modded in a few years) and want to see as much of the content as possible.
Fair enough! I didn't mean to poo-poo min-maxing, God knows I've played hundreds of RPGs like that. :D Just wanted to see if other people took the same approach for this one.

Funnily enough, I think me not really loving the writing and dialogue in the main storyline makes it easier for me to stick to my guns as I don't really mind missing out on content for the sake of role-playing. :p

I'm dumbfounded. The only house in the main city and I can't craft there. This has been the plan that got me back into the game, as I've hated every settlement site I've found so far, don't want companions or settlers, and don't want to build. I just want a shack to craft in (this house was suggested to me when I mentioned this a few days ago).

I don't want to build, just have a small shack with my crafting stations, storage lockers, and a power armor suit station, in a nice central location. I dumped 2000 caps into it, moved all my junk from all the other workshops I had found (on foot - I don't fast travel, took ~10 trips back and forth), burned 5-6 levels into charisma and the perks, hauled a power armor suit across the map (walking underwater a huge chunk of the time).

So I finally have all my stuff in one place, my armor and weapons sorted into lockers, the house wired up with lights (huzzah). And I can't craft.

It does totally suck. No doubt about it. On the other hand: Armor and Weapon Crafting stalls are located just outside your house in the main circle, along with a Power Armor station. So maybe you can make it work for you.

Or, if you're on PC, wait for the inevitable mod that will fix this problem.

Haunted

Someone above posted a console command in the PC version that circumvents that workbench limitation, but I think Ghaleon plays on console.

ExVicis

I'm not sure if this is the proper thread to ask but I've been wanting to buy Fallout but around release my computer had a lot of problems with hardware and I basically had to wait a while until I had money to fix it. So because of that I didn't get Fallout.

Now that I've gotten it all fixed and set-up I'm wondering if I should get it now or just wait until it's on sale. So I came here basically to ask is it worth it to get Fallout 4 now or should I wait?

So I finally have all my stuff in one place, my armor and weapons sorted into lockers, the house wired up with lights (huzzah), and ran one quest to get enough XP to get the perk. And I can't craft.

That's really weird, I don't get why they wouldn't allow that.

At least there's all the stations outside, on the Marketplace? I dunno where the house is.

Haunted

I'm not sure if this is the proper thread to ask but I've been wanting to buy Fallout but around release my computer had a lot of problems with hardware and I basically had to wait a while until I had money to fix it. So because of that I didn't get Fallout.

Now that I've gotten it all fixed and set-up I'm wondering if I should get it now or just wait until it's on sale. So I came here basically to ask is it worth it to get Fallout 4 now or should I wait?
That's something you can only decide for yourself. Plenty of people are enjoying what's there right now, but you can be sure that the game just gets better over time as more mods are released. The modding community is super active, there's a ton of little fixes and improvements already.

Faenix1

If you left him at Santuary, did you check all three dog houses?

Two pretty close to the "entrance", but then there's one in the back by the two buildings you can scrap. Actually, think it's right behind the closest one you can scrap.

I'm assuming when he vanished for me he was in the third doghouse. Though I just found it the other day, so he might of poofed briefly.

ExVicis

That's something you can only decide for yourself. Plenty of people are enjoying what's there right now, but you can be sure that the game just gets better over time as more mods are released. The modding community is super active, there's a ton of little fixes and improvements already.

Well that's a large chunk of my question too. Are most of the game-breaking bugs in the game fixed with patches or via the modding community? I know Bethesda games need a little while after launch to have everything ironed out.

I mean it all depends on how much you want to play it. Are you wanting to play Skyrim in a Fallout skin because as much time as I've put in to Fallout 4 it is absolutely what you're expecting. So if you're jonesing for a world you can dive in to then go for it... but if its something you can hold off on, then yeah wait for a sale.
...a little bit actually yeah. That may seem weird maybe but if it's pretty much that made to look nicer and a few extra features is kinda what I want. That does kind of help thanks.

Xeteh

I mean it all depends on how much you want to play it. Are you wanting to play Skyrim in a Fallout skin because as much time as I've put in to Fallout 4 it is absolutely what you're expecting. So if you're jonesing for a world you can dive in to then go for it... but if its something you can hold off on, then yeah wait for a sale.

You haven't even remotely reached the point of no return yet. In fact, it's still so far away its textures haven't loaded in.

If you haven't wiped out the Railroad, you're still good to go.

Good to know but how do you enjoy both the questlines ? I haven't tried this before because usually I am solidly on one side but BOS attitude has me a little iffy. Is it even possible ? If it isn't, which one is the better quest line.

Xeteh

Good to know but how do you enjoy both the questlines ? I haven't tried this before because usually I am solidly on one side but BOS attitude has me a little iffy. Is it even possible ? If it isn't, which one is the better quest line.

They're both pretty different but neither one is superior to the other, so just go with whichever you prefer.

...a little bit actually yeah. That may seem weird maybe but if it's pretty much that made to look nicer and a few extra features is kinda what I want. That does kind of help thanks.

Absolutely, I'm in the same boat. I don't think Skyrim is a very good game but damned if I didn't buy all the DLC and spend way too much time with it. I'm gonna do the same with Fallout 4. I have my issues with it but if Bethesda does one thing well they make an interesting world to explore. So yeah, if that is how you're feeling then my advice is to go for it. Have fun.

GhaleonEB

That's really weird, I don't get why they wouldn't allow that.

At least there's all the stations outside, on the Marketplace? I dunno where the house is.

It's by the marketplace. Just means to craft I'll have to dump everything from the workshop onto my character, inch forward to a station, make stuff, then inch back and dump everything again. It's a big pain in the wazoo. I really don't understand it, the house is even pitched in-game as having lots of space. For decorations, it seems.

I feel like Fallout 4 is forcing a more specific set of role playing on me than any game since I started playing Bethesda's games. I just want a house for my stuff, make and improve gear there, and to play solo. But so far, I can't actually play that way.

Had a fun adventure tonight in the Boston mayoral bunker (they really ratcheted up the tension hard), so I was starting to get into the game again after being put off by it initially. This might be what pushes me away from the game (again). I'm just not allowed to be the lone wolf I want to be. It's really disappointing.

Xeteh

It's by the marketplace. Just means to craft I'll have to dump everything from the workshop onto my character, inch forward to a station, make stuff, then inch back and dump everything again. It's a big pain in the wazoo. I really don't understand it, the house is even pitched in-game as having lots of space. For decorations, it seems.

I feel like Fallout 4 is forcing a more specific set of role playing on me than any game since I started playing Bethesda's games. I just want a house for my stuff, make and improve gear there, and to play solo. But so far, I can't actually play that way.

Had a fun adventure tonight in the Boston mayoral bunker (they really ratcheted up the tension hard), so I was starting to get into the game again after being put off by it initially. This might be what pushes me away from the game (again). I'm just not allowed to be the lone wolf I want to be. It's really disappointing.

It feels like there are more than a few reasons to find the base building half baked... but the one that gets me is all the crafting stations requiring rank 2 Local Leader (I believe)... it means unless you invest in Charisma enough to pick up that perk than you are you severely limited in your options as far as a home base is concerned... so I just end up using Sanctuary every time.

I find it frustrating. Base building seems like it could have been something awesome but it just seems like a nuisance... hell, my currently playthrough(s... I restart and make new characters all the time) don't even start the Minutemen quest anymore because I don't want to deal with having 10 settlements that can get destroyed because I missed a single popup while I was doing something else.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I've started only fast traveling to about 2 min walk from my intended target where I'll know I'll discover more new stuff on the way, really fun way to play the game IMO.

The image quality in this game on PS4 is amazing. It's probably the best I've ever seen. I'm having a hard time finding jaggies, I'm still in the house btw.

Soodanim

The voiced protagonist and 4 dialogue options already limit RP in this, so it's disappointing to hear of more limits. Maybe it won't be long before we see a mod that fixes that.

I started my 2nd run as a lone wolf, but I haven't got far yet. I'm in the early Concord quest, in the middle of fighting the
Deathclaw
on Survival. Not sure I want to stick with that difficulty, at least not without using a mod that lets you customise it. Power armour and this mini gun aren't helping me too much.

NBtoaster

I just use the Red Rocket Truckstop as a house. Comes pre equipped with all the crafting stations, I put a bed in the computer room and its more convenient than actual houses because you don't have to load through multiple doors. Probably less convenient if you don't fast travel though.

Part of me is both glad and sad that the no turning back points for factions are actually fairly close the ending. Glad that I don't have to play a million missions but sad because once I finish these I'm basically done with the game for the time being. If I ever come back I'd want some balancing issues solved. Some shit is too op.

KorrZ

It does really suck that you can't build crafting stations in the Diamond City home for whatever reason. Really though, I'm not sure how that equates to not letting you be a lone wolf?

It's very feasible to play the game with no companions and no settler management. Take the lone wanderer perk so that you don't need to worry about companions and pick any of the many settlement sites to set up a base camp to store your shit/craft. It doesn't need to be in the city.

RowdyReverb

Found this little daggar at the bottom of a quarray down a deep hole filled with water:
Well I was proud of my armor shed until I saw yours
Screenshot-Original.png

Top Bottom