• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

What is the point of keeping your husband/wife's wedding ring anyway? Do you get a special scene when romancing someone where you can give it to them or something?

nah, I just want to.

I threw the wedding ring away immediately. Part of my attempt to reject the game's forced characterisation/backstory of my character.

Never try to take my character away from me, Bethesda.

For me, if Bethesda is going to force me into this character, then I might as well embrace it.

Vex_

Banned
I threw the wedding ring away immediately. Part of my attempt to reject the game's forced characterisation/backstory of my character.

Never try to take my character away from me, Bethesda.

HOLY SHIT YOU SAVAGE

I kept my ring. I stay loyal, so I keep mine on too.

Shame on you.

It finally happened to me today at level 29 even though the settlement's defense was well above water + food. I wonder if it is story related as it happened just after the
Brotherhood Blimp
showed up.
starlight drive in has a defense over 200 and I still am attacked and I have a high rating for all my settlements
does not stop the attacks
synths are the worst as they just pop in and out

Finnished this game a few days ago and all inn all I really liked it. When I think back there are a lot of things I can point out as plain bad, but in the end I had a good time playing it.

One thing though, why did they make so many quests that had npc's following you when they are so useless? Getting stuck, falling down, standing still doing nothing. It just seems weird they make so many quests with this when they more than likely know things will go wrong.
the only good follower is dogmeat

It's by the marketplace. Just means to craft I'll have to dump everything from the workshop onto my character, inch forward to a station, make stuff, then inch back and dump everything again. It's a big pain in the wazoo. I really don't understand it, the house is even pitched in-game as having lots of space. For decorations, it seems.

I feel like Fallout 4 is forcing a more specific set of role playing on me than any game since I started playing Bethesda's games. I just want a house for my stuff, make and improve gear there, and to play solo. But so far, I can't actually play that way.

Had a fun adventure tonight in the Boston mayoral bunker (they really ratcheted up the tension hard), so I was starting to get into the game again after being put off by it initially. This might be what pushes me away from the game (again). I'm just not allowed to be the lone wolf I want to be. It's really disappointing.
not if you have perk that allows u to fasttravel when u are over your limit

KevinG

So, I've seen conflicting things as to where I need to make my saved game where the factions and story split the achievements.

How far can I play each factions mission set before I can't play further?

I currently have The Moleculer Level mission, but haven't done anything else with factions or the main story because I'm so confused with all of these "save here" guides.

So I have my main settlement where I store all the goods, connected to the rest through supply lines. But when I went to the castle, I didn't see all the stuff at the bench, only what was already present their. What am I doing wrong ?

There is no crafting section. Only Furniture, Decorations, and Power.

Oh no. Can you really not build any crafting stations there? Is this the only house in Diamond City? I spent the better part of this week saving up, buying the house, moving all my gear here, and leveling up high enough to put crafting stations in it. My plan was for this to be my main base.

Perks bruh
VEW9Jnr.png

FtIb2UP.png

Oh no. Can you really not build any crafting stations there? Is this the only house in Diamond City? I spent the better part of this week saving up, buying the house, moving all my gear here, and leveling up high enough to put crafting stations in it. My plan was for this to be my main base.

I havent "discovered" the diamond city home yet, but if it has a workstation, you should be able to to build anything you have access to in it like any other settlement.

local leader allowing you to share workshop items by setting up provisioners would be a major benefit in this regard.

need armorer perk for the power armor crafting station.

there are limitations to how much you can build based on the size of your settlement, but there is a trick/workaround to letting you increase that limit infinitely (thankfully because of a bug because having these limits is so stupid imo.)

You can't build those in the Diamond City house though.

really? that's stupid if the size allows for it. all these limitations the developers put on this game in regards to building is so short sighted

N° 2048

I havent "discovered" the diamond city home yet, but if it has a workstation, you should be able to to build anything you have access to in it like any other settlement.

local leader allowing you to share workshop items by setting up provisioners would be a major benefit in this regard.

there are limitations to how much you can build based on the size of your settlement, but there is a trick/workaround to letting you increase that limit infinitely (thankfully because of a bug because having these limits is so stupid imo.)

Local Leader supply lines don't work with the Diamond City house.

Stupid decision. The workbenches in Diamond City don't even share inventory I think -.-

I feel GhaleonEB's frustration :(

Stupid decision. The workbenches in Diamond City don't even share inventory I think -.-

wow...WHY!?! that is so dumb. seriously. it's as if the developers never played a building game before.

I guess I will continue making my main base Sanctuary and Castle.

screw diamond city.

With that said, Now that I think about it, maybe the developers intended Diamond city to be more like the traditional fallout home, like in fallout 3/new vegas....for people who didn't want to take part in the "settlement" aspect. Cause I assume you also can't recruit people to settle there right?

I get the no fast travel thing but no way I'm doing that. It's so frustrating when you reach a settlement and they say "these raiders are harrasing us, help!" And then you find out the raiders are like 5 miles away. :(

edit: Question: If you're in a power armor and your core runs out does the next one in your inventory automatically start or do you have to get out and insert it? I haven't really used power armors a lot so I don't know, I'm just collecting them so far :lol

GhaleonEB

Yeah, they don't. You have to empty the workshop of junk, then go to the stations with it.

My entire game to date (20-30 hours) has been me looking for a house. I've found ~10 outdoor and/or populated settlements and explored half the map, just looking for a house to settle in. I was so happy when I got the one in Diamond City. To the extent I've done questing, it's been for XP to get the perk to build the crafting stations. In my house.

Having a home base was one of my favorite things about Skyrim, with the crafting stations, trophy cases, storage organization, etc. all set up. That's all I want in Fallout. I just didn't expect it to not be there, just various plots of land on which I have to build crap. I could use the gas station but 1) I really wanted a house, and 2) I don't fast travel so it's in a bad location; the central location in Diamond City was perfect.

I realize this may seem like a minor point but to me it's a huge part of how I play these games and I'm flummoxed I can't in Fallout.

I get the no fast travel thing but no way I'm doing that. It's so frustrating when you reach a settlement and they say "these raiders are harrasing us, help!" And then you find out the raiders are like 5 miles away. :(

With access to a vertibird, the no fast travel rule seems way more manageable.

Next 'full' playthrough I'm doing I'll be rocking the no fast travel. Gonna stock up on Vertibird grenades so I can get a ride when I'm overencumbered.

Yeah, they don't. You have to empty the workshop of junk, then go to the stations with it.

My entire game to date (20-30 hours) has been me looking for a house. I've found ~10 outdoor and/or populated settlements and explored half the map, just looking for a house to settle in. I was so happy when I got the one in Diamond City. To the extent I've done questing, it's been for XP to get the perk to build the crafting stations. In my house.

Having a home base was one of my favorite things about Skyrim, with the crafting stations, trophy cases, storage organization, etc. all set up. That's all I want in Fallout. I just didn't expect it to not be there, just various plots of land on which I have to build crap. I could use the gas station but 1) I really wanted a house, and 2) I don't fast travel so it's in a bad location; the central location in Diamond City was perfect.

I realize this may seem like a minor point but to me it's a huge part of how I play these games and I'm flummoxed I can't in Fallout.

like I was saying in my previous post. I'm wondering if maybe the diamond city home is more like the traditional home like in fallout 3 and new vegas, for people who didn't want to do settlements, which is why its so drastically different than any of the other settlements. and you cant recruit there, etc. Like maybe its supposed to be like a home in the old fallout games for people who didn't want anything to do with settlements but wanted a home to decorate and store stuff like in the old games.

you might want to consider castle as a main base instead, as it is a super amazing place to have a main base, and it already has power/lights hooked up within the castle, just need to add a generator.

I really hope power armor doesn't become necessary at any point. I loathe it.

I haven't used it for most of the game, but I found it necessary for the quest where
I took the boy in the fridge back to his home in Quincy. Baker and Triss would've raped me otherwise.

Someone needs to tell that Tom Chick guy that geography doesn't mean worlds, it means the study of places and environments.

"Bethesda has no interest in addressing the difficult problem of meaningful geography, which is ironic considering how good they are at creating geography"

A solid read otherwise, I might go the no fast-travel route for my second playthrough.

The loot progression really sucks in this game. Starts off promisingly enough, with mostly pipe pistols, then more conventional stuff like combat shotguns and assault rifles. Then it just stops. After a relatively short period of gameplay (for a Bethesda game), I just started ignoring what weapons enemies were carrying unless they were legendary because they're just the same few guns with some modifications that are inferior to what I've already got. Maybe it's not hugely different to the previous vanilla games, but they certainly did a better job of spreading the loot out and not making the lack of variety stick out so much.

Not a fan of the armor progression either. Only a few cool-looking armor sets, and their stats are generally shit unless you use mods to enable ballistic weave on them.

Brokun

First playthrough complete. Brotherhood/main plot finished.

For my next go I'm thinking: no fast travel. Increase the difficulty. Stealth heavy build. Settlement mods up the wazoo. And maybe some crafting mods.

Mr Swine

Banned
So if I use the console command to transport to a area that is locked because the door bugged. Will crash my game later on or screw anything?

d00d3n

If you make an npc use a power armour, will it run on unlimited fusion cores and will the armour never degrade will he uses it?

hydruxo

So, I've seen conflicting things as to where I need to make my saved game where the factions and story split the achievements.

How far can I play each factions mission set before I can't play further?

I currently have The Moleculer Level mission, but haven't done anything else with factions or the main story because I'm so confused with all of these "save here" guides.

Faction spoilers (just quest names)

BoS will become enemies once you enter the relay for the 'Mass Fusion' quest. So make a hard save right before you enter the relay so that you can go back and do the BoS questline.

For the Railroad, make a save right when you get the achievement/trophy for completing 'Powering Up' and get the 'End of the Line' quest.

Otherwise for the Institute just keep going through the main quests for their achievements/trophies.

Kaversmed

God damn.

edit: Power Armor, if a core runs out do you need to get out of your suit to replenish it or does the next one automatically start?

Automatically. Good tip is to change it manually before it runs out, since you will be able to sell it for a lot more caps than a completely empty core. Even 1% left in a core will get you a lot of caps compared to a 0% core.

It automatically uses the next one. You'll see a message pop up stating that a power core was removed.

Thanks!

Automatically. Good tip is to change it manually before it runs out, since you will be able to sell it for a lot more caps than an empty core.

Oh, great idea! Thanks!

Faction spoilers (just quest names)

BoS will become enemies once you enter the relay for the 'Mass Fusion' quest. So make a hard save right before you enter the relay so that you can go back and do the BoS questline.

For the Railroad, make a save right when you get the achievement/trophy for completing 'Powering Up' and get the 'End of the Line' quest.

Otherwise for the Institute just keep going through the main quests for their achievements/trophies.

Wish you could name save files for this reason.

really? that's stupid if the size allows for it. all these limitations the developers put on this game in regards to building is so short sighted

Is it PC only or can I do this trick on the PS4? I was super excited to get the Castle but the building limit is practically full before I did much, I guess cause it has tons of stuff already. Although even with a lot being prebuilt it seems to have less stuff than my Sanctuary build and that's not close to being full

N° 2048

Yea I don't know what to do. I have a nice personal base set up @ Red Rocket (on the roof, nice sunset and sunrise view. Got Nuka Quantums on display, Jangles Monkey, Toys, etc) so I'm probably keeping that. Star-Light will be where I send all my settlers (currently @ 17).

This leaves me confused about the Diamond City house now...I want to buy it and decorate it but what's the point if I am doing that @ Red Rocket plus Red Rocket has all my supply lines, workbenches. :/

I probably just won't buy the Diamond City house until I get my PC upgraded (to use those crazy mods) and I'm on PS4 until then so mods are out of the question right now.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Beat the game last night at level 50. Ending was mediocre, but the 85 hours up until that point were very good.

Still have plenty of quests to complete and bases to build.

Watevaman

So a certain creature in a certain lake got incredibly easy to take care of with the Overseer's Guardian. Holy shit what a difference.

Matush

Casually walking around
University Point/University Credit Union
when all of the sudden I found this bad boy:

few minutes later I got into firefight with some raiders, and while looting their bodies I found this:

Loving the game! (100+ hrs and counting)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've played this game for over a hundred hours and not has a single crash and now twice during an end game mission
for the railroad "Rockets Red Glare"
I've crashed to desktop twice now
once when I first arrived on the Prydwyn, forcing me to sit thru the entire flight again, and once while leaving after planting the bombs
. Kind of baffling.

Top Bottom