• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas DLC Vol3: Old World Blues |OT| What did you do with the brain?!

hitoshi

Any first impressions? I'm still on the edge on this, Dead Money really took my soul so I'm a little dubious. Honest Hearts was much much better but the trailer for this was a little bit... strange.

I've only played the first sequence so far, but it's been hilarious. Probably the funniest I've seen in New Vegas. A lot of dialogue at the beginning, but kept entertaining.

duckroll

This is definitely an Avellone DLC. If you enjoy the tons of in-depth dialogue trees and stuff you can do with the companions in Dead Money, this one is even better. The DLC basically opens with a longass conversation which can take up 40mins or more of your time. Soooooo yummy.

Also, lots of penis jokes. I approve!

hitoshi

duckroll said:
This is definitely an Avellone DLC. If you enjoy the tons of in-depth dialogue trees and stuff you can do with the companions in Dead Money, this one is even better. The DLC basically opens with a longass conversation which can take up 40mins or more of your time. Soooooo yummy.

What about the setting and the gameplay areas? Is it as tight or totally linear as Dead Money was?

duckroll

hitoshi said:
What about the setting and the gameplay areas? Is it as tight or totally linear as Dead Money was?

It seems relatively open. I'm way too early on to say for sure, but after a really long and hilarious exposition filled dialogue with the Think Tanks (you can actually choose how much you want to hear or what you want to hear about, but like all Avellone designed conversations, they're meant to pay off with exp bonuses and other bonus benefits if you actually bother to roleplay through the dialogue properly) there are a bunch of quests which open up. Some are optional, some are part of the main storyline.

You start in a sort of home base area, and when you exit out to the Big MT area itself there's a pretty large open facility hub area which has other in-door areas you need to get to.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
That starting conversation is certainly something. And it doesn't seem like the skill checks are repeatable if you don't have high enough stats to hit them at first.

I'm of half a mind to start over and suck down some Mentats and read some skill books before starting.

hitoshi

duckroll said:
It seems relatively open. I'm way too early on to say for sure, but after a really long and hilarious exposition filled dialogue with the Think Tanks (you can actually choose how much you want to hear or what you want to hear about, but like all Avellone designed conversations, they're meant to pay off with exp bonuses and other bonus benefits if you actually bother to roleplay through the dialogue properly) there are a bunch of quests which open up. Some are optional, some are part of the main storyline.

You start in a sort of home base area, and when you exit out to the Big MT area itself there's a pretty large open facility hub area which has other in-door areas you need to get to.

Thank you. I think you just sold it to me :)

Sotha Sil

duckroll said:

... even more hyped. Damn.

Drazgul

jim-jam bongs said:
I have never looked forward to DLC more than I do for New Vegas.

DON'T LOOK AT ME. I WAS ONCE LIKE YOU.

I'd still trade them all in a heartbeat for a proper expansion.

duckroll

Drazgul said:
I'd still trade them all in a heartbeat for a proper expansion.

I'm not sure I would. A traditional expansion pack would generally be an expanded world map with about 1/3 or 1/2 the content of the full game itself, which specifically delivers an expansive new storyline and quest chains in this new area. It would probably allow you to continue to use all your companions in this new area, and offer 2-3 new permanent companions. That's nice and all, and could make for a pretty interesting larger scale new storyline.

But what the DLCs offer is a chance to do smaller scale but much more varied expansions. Each DLC is entirely different from the last in terms of tone, style, and location. This is something we'll probably never get in a full expansion. I find the style of how NV is handling the DLCs, and what they're doing with them very interesting and refreshing. It's not something that I would be willing to "trade" for something else. I would welcome a full expansion too, but I wouldn't want one in exchange for the DLC which we already have.

zerotol

Banned
I've bought every Fallout 3 and NV DLC as soon as they became available on Xbox market place, this will be another. I still remember the night waiting for Operation Anchorage to hit the market place!

hitoshi

zerotol said:
I've bought every Fallout 3 and NV DLC as soon as they became available on Xbox market place, this will be another. I still remember the night waiting for Operation Anchorage to hit the market place!

That must have been a terrible experience after trying it, because that is still one of the worst DLC ever released, in my opinion.

zerotol

Banned
hitoshi said:
That must have been a terrible experience after trying it, because that is still one of the worst DLC ever released, in my opinion.

I would have to agree with you. But my hype for it at the time was pretty high. Point Lookout was the best and Mothership Zeta was the fucking worst. I still keep coming back though. It's like a tradition.

Sotha Sil

zerotol said:
I would have to agree with you. But my hype for it at the time was pretty high. Point Lookout was the best and Mothership Zeta was the fucking worst. I still keep coming back though. It's like a tradition.

That reminds me I've never ever played those DLC on my GOTY edition, and probably never will. Why can't Bethesda give the Fallout games to Obsidian for a time? I wouldn't mind a few more Gamebryo Fallouts. That's how much I love those guys.

Salsa

duckroll said:
I find the style of how NV is handling the DLCs, and what they're doing with them very interesting and refreshing.

I was going to make a comment about this as well, i really love how every DLC that comes out has a certain theme to it that is very unique on its own, and completely different from what came before.

They even extend that theme to marketing and such, it works wonderfully and it feels really fresh.

duckroll

Wallach said:
When he's writing, anyway.

Come across any new shotguns, duck?

Not yet, but I've come across what is probably the most unexpected Wild Wasteland encounter in NV or any of the DLCs so far. Lol. This DLC is definitely LOL.

Wallach

duckroll said:
Not yet, but I've come across what is probably the most unexpected Wild Wasteland encounter in NV or any of the DLCs so far. Lol. This DLC is definitely LOL.

I don't suppose
a whale falls out of the sky or anything? Haha.

duckroll

Wallach said:
I don't suppose
a whale falls out of the sky or anything? Haha.

Nope. But it's definitely a "Wtf! LOL!" encounter. Better than the audio cues and relatively subtle WW stuff in DM and HH.

Drazgul

Wallach said:
I'm hoping the unwashed villagers make a visit again in some DLC. They deserve it.

Trying to protect the spammer was a nice little challenge - I thought he'd give some reward for it, and when he didn't I got mad and punched him to death. Good times!

duckroll

Old World Blues is pretty awesome. The design is definitely very different from Dead Money (and Honest Hearts). You have a ton of options of what you want to do at any given time, most of it completely optional.

You have a home base which has various err... appliances which you have to find modules for before they can be reactivated, and it seems that each of them have upgrades which you can subsequently install if you find those holotapes. You also have a gun which you can find different sound module tapes for, allowing you to basically upgrade the gun into more advanced versions.

Lots of wacky stuff, and interesting hooks to Dead Money and New Vegas so far. I'm actually quite surprised at the amount of characters and voice content in the DLC. It's definitely the liveliest yet. Tons of personality.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
duckroll said:
Old World Blues is pretty awesome. The design is definitely very different from Dead Money (and Honest Hearts). You have a ton of options of what you want to do at any given time, most of it completely optional.

You have a home base which has various err... appliances which you have to find modules for before they can be reactivated, and it seems that each of them have upgrades which you can subsequently install if you find those holotapes. You also have a gun which you can find different sound module tapes for, allowing you to basically upgrade the gun into more advanced versions.

Lots of wacky stuff, and interesting hooks to Dead Money and New Vegas so far. I'm actually quite surprised at the amount of characters and voice content in the DLC. It's definitely the liveliest yet. Tons of personality.
Let us know if you find a Ghost people hazmat suit. :)

Really wanted one of those in Dead Money. Heard one might show up in OWB but I have no idea where I heard that from so I assume I imagined it. :p

duckroll

Wallach said:
Oh, Europe, I dunno why they don't have it up yet.

Old World Blues isn't "actually" out on Steam yet. For some reason, if you go to the direct link, it's available for US and Canada. For everywhere else (Europe, Asia, Australia) it will say it is not currently available in your region. There are no Steam Achievements for OWB yet either. So clearly there is some fuck up going on. Lol.

Sotha Sil

duckroll said:
Old World Blues isn't "actually" out on Steam yet. For some reason, if you go to the direct link, it's available for US and Canada. For everywhere else (Europe, Asia, Australia) it will say it is not currently available in your region. There are no Steam Achievements for OWB yet either. So clearly there is some fuck up going on. Lol.

Damn it to hell. Ah well, time to play Honest Hearts.

duckroll

Sotha Sil said:
Damn it to hell. Ah well, time to play Honest Hearts.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It sucks that they're incompetent (again!), but within a day or so everything should be up and fixed. If you haven't played Honest Hearts yet, now's a good time to run through it before OWB!

Sotha Sil

duckroll said:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It sucks that they're incompetent (again!), but within a day or so everything should be up and fixed. If you haven't played Honest Hearts yet, now's a good time to run through it before OWB!

Thanks for the info! I think I will. Or maybe I'll start a Legion/unarmed playthrough. Man, a well-written Fallout always feel like a giant candy store.

-BLITZ-

I always admire Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas + DLC beginnings, when you talk on you're first steps into the new untouched world from hundreds of years and then just stop for a few seconds just to look around and see the glamorous landspaces. Oh this atmosphere and ambience are so unique in Fallout Series.

Hey, I my
level cap raised with 5 again. I can't believe this, it's great. I think I gonna reach 100 for each skill.

zam

Aww Stealth Suit Mk II, I love you, even when I failed the the test course you took the blame for it, even when it was my fault. And when I was walking around it said "You are my best friend forever", right back at you stealth suit, BFFs for life!

duckroll

This DLC definitely feels really meaty. I've played over 3 hours now, and I don't think I'm quite done with even 1/3 of it. I did part of the quests in the X-8 Facility, and it was actually pretty damn challenging. Died a few times because I tried rushing at the enemies.

Top Bottom