• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas DLC Vol3: Old World Blues |OT| What did you do with the brain?!

Sober

Hulud said:
Doctor Dala is my new favorite character of the year. Hilarious.
Oh man, when she
started making those sounds and then I got drained energy ammo I just lost it hahaha

i still haven't beaten honest hearts =(, Ducky you should do a series of let's play videos. So i can be lazy and just watch someone else play and i get to see the story stuff.

TheContact

Technosteve said:
i still haven't beaten honest hearts =(, Ducky you should do a series of let's play videos. So i can be lazy and just watch someone else play and i get to see the story stuff.

Let's Plays and actually playing are two totally different experiences =\

On a side note, I keep hearing how great this DLC is and I'm stuck at work! Grrrr

imoTEP12

I have only played this for about 3 hours but man do I love it, the humor, setting and the enemies, everything is done so well. This is by far my favorite dlc for fallout (new vegas or fallout 3).

DarkKyo

This expansion looks amazing.

I've never finished a Fallout expansion but I'm getting close to the end of Dead Money. Can anyone answer me this: when you're put back into the Nevada wasteland after having completed an expansion, do you get to keep the special weapons/gear you picked up during the expansion?

-BLITZ-

In Dead Money if you don't take the special/unique weapons, you can't go back anymore to take them. Honest Hearts works fine and Old World Blues said you can go back after you finish the DLC. At the moment I can say that Old Blues is so massive. I got a feeling of being in Far Cry last level with all those creatures everywhere I step. Sweet!

And I want to tell that you don't need to take so much ammo, 100 bullets for each weapon is enough, I took 150 & 200 and I'm already full because you can find anything you need in the DLC with lots of ammo as well.

DarkKyo

-BLITZ- said:
In Dead Money if you don't take the special/unique weapons, you can't go back anymore to take them. Honest Hearts works fine and Old World Blues said you can go back after you finish the DLC. At the moment I can say that Old Blues is so massive. I got a feeling of being in Far Cry last level with all those creatures everywhere I step. Sweet!

And I want to tell that you don't need to take so much ammo, 100 bullets for each weapon is enough, I took 150 & 200 and I'm already full because you can find anything you need in the DLC with lots of ammo as well.
Oh okay, so once you have that sweet looking minigun from Old World Blues I should be able to end up using that in the normal New Vegas world. Awesome.

-BLITZ-

Yes and you will find a lot of ammo for K9000 Cyberdog Gun, I'm sure to this weapon you refer. I found more
Nuka Cola bottles than any of the number you manage to drink or take in New Vegas; so many, gosh.

duckroll

This is going to sound weird but... somehow I never got the Cyberdog gun. It sounds like it's supposed to be a really early weapon? I'm 4 hours into the DLC, and I've been upgrading the Sonic Emitter but somehow I must have completely missed the Cyberdog gun. Not that I really need it since I'm currently playing with a Melee + Energy Weapons character, but I wonder what I missed.

The Proton Axe... is awesome btw.

hemtae

duckroll said:
This is going to sound weird but... somehow I never got the Cyberdog gun. It sounds like it's supposed to be a really early weapon? I'm 4 hours into the DLC, and I've been upgrading the Sonic Emitter but somehow I must have completely missed the Cyberdog gun. Not that I really need it since I'm currently playing with a Melee + Energy Weapons character, but I wonder what I missed.

Yeah, its pretty early
I got it when I first talked to the Think Tank robots and passed a skill check asking for something that "spits lead" I think you have to have a 50 in guns

-BLITZ-

One of those 5 brain robots will give it to you. I don't remember exactly from which one I got it because all kinds of quests where falling down on my left screens with other aids, ammo and weapons I had many typical answers of those you need 30/60 skills or 5/7 special for example.

The weapon has
scope
that can go far way and hit long range enemies. :p

Yes, you can check how hemtae said.

Gestahl

duckroll said:

There are at least
two
Cyberdog guns.

zkylon

zkylewd
40 minute conversations? Man, that brings you back...

By the way, should i play all the DLCs in order? And what level should i be when starting each?

zkylon said:
40 minute conversations? Man, that brings you back...

By the way, should i play all the DLCs in order? And what level should i be when starting each?
I think playing them in order would be a pretty good idea, yeah. I usually save them for the endgame, too: right before the battle of Hoover Dam.

For Dead Money, a high level (at least 20) is a must. The Ghost People will turn you into bloody goop otherwise. Honest Hearts isn't really all that difficult in comparison. I'm not sure about OWB, as I'm just in the opening stages myself. But my character's level 40 already, so I probably won't run into much problems.

duckroll

hemtae said:
Yeah, its pretty early
I got it when I first talked to the Think Tank robots and passed a skill check asking for something that "spits lead" I think you have to have a 50 in guns

Aaaaah this makes sense.
So I didn't really miss the gun. It was tailored such that players would get what they needed based on their skill balances if they actually bothered with the dialogue trees. I remember using a Energy Weapons skill check to get extra ammo for the Sonic Emitter instead. :)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
tumblr_lkhxtpEH2a1qeq0mdo1_500.jpg

Cazadors near the Securitron Complex

Gestahl

Sub_Level said:
tumblr_lkhxtpEH2a1qeq0mdo1_500.jpg

Cazadors near the Securitron Complex

It was fun walking into a building, turning a corner, and seeing two of those fuckers make a beeline for me. At least now I can kill them 20% harder...

zam

Finished the DLC, and I enjoyed it a lot, best one so far for New Vegas, they just keep topping themselves. Loved the old-school sci-fi feel, the writing in this DLC is really funny as well, the Think Tank, Dr Mobious, the talking appliances in The Sink (the toaster and biological research machine especially).

duckroll said:
Aaaaah this makes sense.
So I didn't really miss the gun. It was tailored such that players would get what they needed based on their skill balances if they actually bothered with the dialogue trees. I remember using a Energy Weapons skill check to get extra ammo for the Sonic Emitter instead. :)
You can still get it in other ways, I found two other ones (apart from the one I got at the beginning through a skill check).

You can find it in X-12 Research Center but you need to have upgraded the Sonic Emitter to disable force fields.

I'm not a fan of making enemies tough just for the sake of being tough, but I have to say I'm liking the variety of enemies I'm getting so far: the roboscorpions are hilarious (though deadly), and the Trauma Override Harness enemies are just... Well, pretty horrifying, actually.

The Night Stalkers appear to be tougher than I remember, though. I hate enemies suffering from the Point Lookout-syndrome.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, though, I just encountered a Securitron that, while tough, didn't do any damage at all. He kept firing at me, and I just shrugged the bullets off like they were rain.

Just bought Old World Blues on Xbox Live.

Still need to finish Honest Hearts to gain access to this DLC, I know what I have to do after work this evening.

Sober

Blue Ninja said:
I'm not a fan of making enemies tough just for the sake of being tough, but I have to say I'm liking the variety of enemies I'm getting so far: the roboscorpions are hilarious (though deadly), and the Trauma Override Harness enemies are just... Well, pretty horrifying, actually.

The Night Stalkers appear to be tougher than I remember, though. I hate enemies suffering from the Point Lookout-syndrome.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, though, I just encountered a Securitron that, while tough, didn't do any damage at all. He kept firing at me, and I just shrugged the bullets off like they were rain.
I'm at level 41 right now and things like Nightstalkers have 600 HP (I have anatomist), same with the Mark IV and higher roboscorpions. I ran into a cazador with 550 hp. Wish I brought an assault carbine to this, especially for the robots. Was not expecting everything to scale or something so much.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sober said:
I'm at level 41 right now and things like Nightstalkers have 600 HP (I have anatomist), same with the Mark IV and higher roboscorpions. I ran into a cazador with 550 hp. Wish I brought an assault carbine to this, especially for the robots. Was not expecting everything to scale or something so much.
Nice to hear about the level scaling, i was fearing my level would be too high for some of the DLC. I usually hate level scaling, but i feel it makes sense in this case.

Sober said:
Yeah, I'm mainly using the All American, though I have my Assault Carbine with me as well. My hunting rifle and hunting shotgun served me well during Honest Hearts, but they can't help me now. :(

I also
just encountered a hostile pet Deathclaw. I want a friendly pet Deathclaw, and I want him stat.

Also discovered a Hazmat suit like the ones the Ghost People wear in Dead Money, but couldn't get to it yet, as it's locked inside a forcefield.

I'm really digging all the throwbacks to Dead Money, really helps connect the DLC's to Lonesome Road. Now I feel like Honest Hearts is the odd one out. :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Didn't buy it yet but I wonder how the level cap issue will be since the PS3 patch lets you level up to 50. It would be funny with this DLC, you can get to 55 and the next one, 60.

What's the average time for a run through? Anyone know yet?

I'm hoping for Sierra Madresque stuff - heavy story, more difficult missions.

Sober

zkylon said:
Nice to hear about the level scaling, i was fearing my level would be too high for some of the DLC. I usually hate level scaling, but i feel it makes sense in this case.
It's not too bad, well at least not Broken Steel levels of crazy where Ghoul Ravagers or Uber Mutant Masters have like 2k hp or something ridiculous and spawn every 30 seconds in groups of 8.

Sober said:
It's not too bad, well at least not Broken Steel levels of crazy where Ghoul Ravagers or Uber Mutant Masters have like 2k hp or something ridiculous and spawn every 30 seconds in groups of 8.

Broken Steel was such an overt slap in the face, gah, I hated it. That entire batch of DLC (excluding PL) was one big clumsy mess.

Man, I'm really torn on this. On the one hand, it's New Vegas, and I know I will love it. On the other, I just blew my monthly budget on the Summer sale. Alas, I may just wait and pick up this and Lonesome Road together, and have one big send off.

tokkun

Good lord, after the first Think Tank scene I wished that I could be given a lobotomy. The "comedy" is trying way too hard.

jambo

Can someone from the US gift me the DLC on Steam? It's $12.99 in Australia even though our dollar is stronger than the US dollar
LLShC.gif

JerkShep

zam said:
Finished the DLC, and I enjoyed it a lot, best one so far for New Vegas, they just keep topping themselves. Loved the old-school sci-fi feel, the writing in this DLC is really funny as well, the Think Tank, Dr Mobious, the talking appliances in The Sink (the toaster and biological research machine especially).

You can still get it in other ways, I found two other ones (apart from the one I got at the beginning through a skill check).

You can find it in X-12 Research Center but you need to have upgraded the Sonic Emitter to disable force fields.

Some questions
Are there more quests after the three main quest "Recover something in X-something"? Is it possibile to "cure" 8 completely?

I've done the X-2 and X-13 part and completed some sidequests to upgrade the home base (the toaster is hilarious btw).

Hulud said:
Doctor Dala is my new favorite character of the year. Hilarious.
lol yeah, she's great!

After wearing the
sneak
suit a while, I just wish it would shut up!

Blue Ninja said:
Also discovered a Hazmat suit like the ones the Ghost People wear in Dead Money, but couldn't get to it yet, as it's locked inside a forcefield.
I didn't bother trying to unlock it, just shoot the field with the upgraded sonic weapon :)

Just finished, I have to say they really outdid themselves. I thought they wouldn't be able to top Honest Hearts but they proved me wrong. It looks like Bethesda/Obsidian finally understand what is great about the fallout games and are focusing on giving us more of that.

zam

JerkShep said:
Some questions
Are there more quests after the three main quest "Recover something in X-something"? Is it possibile to "cure" 8 completely?

I've done the X-2 and X-13 part and completed some sidequests to upgrade the home base (the toaster is hilarious btw).
I was able to understand 8 after a science check, but I couldn't find anything to make him talk normally again.

Other than the mainquest and upgrading the Sink, I didn't find any other quests.

Hulud

Sober said:
Just started, right now Borous is utterly hilarious and the Cram and ducttape joke just ... wow.
I missed that somehow! Maybe I can go back and talk to him to see it.

Sober said:
Oh man, when she
started making those sounds and then I got drained energy ammo I just lost it hahaha
Yes! Probably my favorite NPC interaction in the entire game.

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, I'm mainly using the All American, though I have my Assault Carbine with me as well. My hunting rifle and hunting shotgun served me well during Honest Hearts, but they can't help me now. :(

I also
just encountered a hostile pet Deathclaw. I want a friendly pet Deathclaw, and I want him stat.
l

I like how it was
called Stripe
, when I saw it I thought
Stripe from Gremlins
lol.

Blue Ninja said:

I also

Yeah, I liked that.
Aw, look at the little deathclaw, it's cute an-holy shit that thing's strong.

is there something else I specifically have to do to upgrade various things in The Sink? I've found the auto-doc tape, but when I go up to auto-doc, it doesn't act as if I've done anything

Lakitu

st5fu
So I take it people like this more than Honest Hearts and Dead Money? I loved both of those so that's good. Have to wait until next week to play it, I can't wait.

How's the Stealth Suit? Any cool new stealthy weapons, like a new sniper rifle?

MrTroubleMaker said:
I didn't bother trying to unlock it, just shoot the field with the upgraded sonic weapon :)
I don't have it yet. :lol I've been exploring, though I'm going to have to re-explore everything once I get that gun.

Also, when I encountered the
Cazadores in the Z-14 Splicing Lab... Let's just say I thanked Science for my Assault Carbine.

zam

BlackSalad said:
is there something else I specifically have to do to upgrade various things in The Sink? I've found the auto-doc tape, but when I go up to auto-doc, it doesn't act as if I've done anything
Have you activated the auto-doc? You need to find the activation holo-tape and put it in, then you can upgrade different machines.

Lakitu said:
So I take it people like this more than Honest Hearts and Dead Money? I loved both of those so that's good. Have to wait until next week to play it, I can't wait.

How's the Stealth Suit? Any cool new stealthy weapons, like a new sniper rifle?
I think OWB is the best one so far, the environment, the items, the writing, all top notch.

Love the stealth suit, we are best friends forever, she told me that herself :D As for stealth weapons there is a silenced sniper rifle that used to belong to
Christine
. Myself I'm loving the LAER (or
Elijah's[/spoler] Advanced LAER) and the K9000 (minigun with a dog's bran that barks) though I feel bad when I put away the K9000, cause he makes a sad whine when you holster it or switch to a different weapon.

Top Bottom