• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

New menu control problems. (Spoilers)
Just got to the penthouse. The upgrading terminal has issues when trying to navigate the items for sale.
Any fixes?

zlatko

Banned
So I met the guy with the dog helmet in that N town(forgot the name). I was at max capacity for items so I didn't want to start a fight with them since I would have wanted their loot.

When I came back they were nowhere to be found. I searched the houses and found tons of loot, but nowhere to find the bad guys. I REALLY wanted to kill them for what they did to the town and their "lottery."

Anyone know where I should go to find them ?

HomShaBom

Banned
knitoe said:
On X360, click on LB when weapon is highlighted. Then, press A on highlighted mod to equip.
man wtf. It's been there the whole time and I haven't noticed.
edit: too bad I have no mods to add on

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ashbash159 said:
New menu control problems. (Spoilers)
Just got to the penthouse. The upgrading terminal has issues when trying to navigate the items for sale.
Any fixes?
Saw that and its easily fixable. The alignment for the box is off i guess. He just moved the cursor down and to the right a few inches until it highlighted what he wanted to buy and things worked fine.

Salsa

Max said:
It was safe in Oblivion and FO3 so I'd assume so

I know that with the GECK mod tool you can check what furniture is "safe" or if it will "respawn" with the original stuff it contained, but i dont wanna check. Also the manual says that its not safe to store stuff in places you dont personally own. I guess a hotel room counts as a place i own ?

SalsaShark said:
I know that with the GECK mod tool you can check what furniture is "safe" or if it will "respawn" with the original stuff it contained, but i dont wanna check. Also the manual says that its not safe to store stuff in places you dont personally own. I guess a hotel room counts as a place i own ?
I left some stuff in my room in Novac for a couple in-game days and it will still there when I came back. Boone's questline in Novac leads me to believe that room is mine permanently. No Vacancy is a shithole of a town though, I want to live somewhere else.

Dead

well not really...yet
So, you can get your own Penthouse in the strip right?

Im just asking beacause I currently have the option of (strip questlines warning)
killing Mr. House, to advance my plan (after Benny died). If I do that, will I not be able to get it?

Chozo

Was just coming in to bitch about how the framerate was godawful (despite the fact that my computer can run Fallout 3 on similar settings perfectly fine) but the .dll appears to have fixed that. Thanks to the folks who linked it.

Haven't gotten very far due to crap framerate though. So...uh...how about that getting shot in the head?

Still getting the pauses. Never got those in Fallout 3.

The pauses are very frequent, and it can't be just because I've got 2 GB of RAM.

The pauses are really distracting and annoying. They happen all the time in the overworld. in VATs, during a scripted cinematic kill shot, walking around, turning. All the fucking time.

It's driving me nuts. Never had this problem before. What the fuck could it be loading if it's just doing a scripted kill shot? Everything's already been loaded!

HomShaBom

Banned
d671d.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
I've got it and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've played about 8 hours so far and I've barely scratched the surface I feel. I'm level 5 nearing on level 6.

But a couple of things that I'm not liking so far:

It seems that stores don't repair items anymore, I guess you could say that leads you to be strategic but whatever, I'd rather they kept that from Fallout 3 and also the biggest annoyance for me is -- why the hell do I have to get bad karma for trying to take items from dead people / bad guys? For instance I'm just going through the
NCR Correctional Facility and I've pretty much killed every Power Ganger there and apparently it's stealing and you can't get any loot from there without losing karma.
It's really annoying because I love to get loot but also this playthrough I wanna be a good guy.

As for the feel of the game, I'd say I prefer Fallout 3's capital wasteland by far over mojave. It's still pretty good but it doesn't feel anywhere as atmospheric.

I'm enjoying the game so far, I'm not ready to judge it yet. It's simply too early in the scheme of things, but just going on first impressions. Fallout 3 is better. I do like that the game is much of a challenge this time around, a welcome change.

Question re: Primm -
Who did you pick as sheriff?

Zeliard

SlipperySlope said:

The pauses are very frequent, and it can't be just because I've got 2 GB of RAM.

The pauses are really distracting and annoying. They happen all the time in the overworld. in VATs, during a scripted cinematic kill shot, walking around, turning. All the fucking time.

It's driving me nuts. Never had this problem before. What the fuck could it be loading if it's just doing a scripted kill shot? Everything's already been loaded!

Go into your advanced settings through the Fallout Launcher and change "water multisampling" in the water settings to "low." See if that makes a diff.

I assume you've already done the d3d9.dll thing.

JambiBum

Lakitu said:
I've got it and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've played about 8 hours so far and I've barely scratched the surface I feel. I'm level 5 nearing on level 6.

But a couple of things that I'm not liking so far:

It seems that stores don't repair items anymore, I guess you could say that leads you to be strategic but whatever, I'd rather they kept that from Fallout 3 and also the biggest annoyance for me is -- why the hell do I have to get bad karma for trying to take items from dead people / bad guys? For instance I'm just going through the
NCR Correctional Facility and I've pretty much killed every Power Ganger there and apparently it's stealing and you can't get any loot from there without losing karma.
It's really annoying because I love to get loot but also this playthrough I wanna be a good guy.

As for the feel of the game, I'd say I prefer Fallout 3's capital wasteland by far over mojave. It's still pretty good but it doesn't feel anywhere as atmospheric.

I'm enjoying the game so far, I'm not ready to judge it yet. It's simply too early in the scheme of things, but just going on first impressions. Fallout 3 is better. I do like that the game is much of a challenge this time around, a welcome change.

Question re: Primm -
Who did you pick as sheriff?

Stores repair items. You just haven't found any that do yet.

Zeliard said:
Go into your advanced settings through the Fallout Launcher and change "water multisampling" in the water settings to "low." See if that makes a diff.

I assume you've already done the d3d9.dll thing.

Yeah, I did the dll thing. The dll helped framerate, but not the pauses.

I'll try the water thing, thanks for the advice. Thinking back, I remember that same setting making a world of a different in Fallout 3. Hopefully it'll work.

Zeliard

SlipperySlope said:
Yeah, I did the dll thing. The dll helped framerate, but not the pauses.

I'll try the water thing, thanks for the advice. Thinking back, I remember that same setting making a world of a different in Fallout 3. Hopefully it'll work.

It's what does it for me. I have strange, almost nonsensical stuttering outside when I have water multisampling set to anything above "low." Not only is everything else on Ultra, but I've also tweaked a number of view distance/LOD settings through the configs so I see much more of the distant landscape now (as well as enemies and people, which looks quite cool visually and is nice from a tactical standpoint).

But something with the water multisampling is goofy, because it has huge negative FPS impact even with seemingly no bodies of water around.

SlipperySlope said:

I think the 2GB might indeed be the culprit. I have 4GB and still notice occasional hiccups due to disk thrashing.

try a lower detail setting.

Anyone know of a way to adjust the vertical and horizontal sensitivity separately on PC for the 360 controller?

My friend's 360 copy lets you adjust both values. My steam version on PC with the 360 controller enabled only gives one overall sensitivity rating.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Halp! I'm on the quest
"Render Unto Caesar!"

Every time I go into the fort I'll be fine for a little bit but then out of nowhere everyone will go aggressive towards me. I've reloaded my save quite a few times and I'm not sure what's triggering it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Awesome, now I just crash whenever I open the game. This engine is a complete piece of shit.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
vitaminwateryum said:
Halp! I'm on the quest
"Render Unto Caesar!"

Every time I go into the fort I'll be fine for a little bit but then out of nowhere everyone will go aggressive towards me. I've reloaded my save quite a few times and I'm not sure what's triggering it.

Wearing any armor that might set them off?

Ok this might sound like a weird issue...I've gotten into the Strip and have done a few quests in there but now when I try to get back it the door says "Key Required"...and from what I recall having a key wasn't how you get into the strip. :( if my game is glitched up I'm gonna be pissed (I've tried saving and reloading)

And since I can't fast travel to anywhere inside the Strip...I'm stuck outside ugh :(

iammeiam

vitaminwateryum said:
Nope. I was wearing a suit at first but I've tried it with their armor on as well, no difference.

There's no way Boone is following you, right?

I once had the entire Atomic Wrangler go hostile on me for no reason (I entered, they flashed red and attacked); went back to a save two minutes before, reentered, they were fine. So it's possible the game's just pissy about something it invented itself.

Zeliard said:
It's what does it for me. I have strange, almost nonsensical stuttering outside when I have water multisampling set to anything above "low." Not only is everything else on Ultra, but I've also tweaked a number of view distance/LOD settings through the configs so I see much more of the distant landscape now (as well as enemies and people, which looks quite cool visually and is nice from a tactical standpoint).

But something with the water multisampling is goofy, because it has huge negative FPS impact even with seemingly no bodies of water around.

Glad it worked for you. Hopefully it'll work for me too. Yeah, looking back at Fallout 3, you're right, there's something wrong with that setting. In that game too, even when there was no water around, with that setting at anything but low would cause a noticeable problem with FPS. It's a "WTF?" type of different in FPS. Their implementation is poor for some reason.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
iammeiam said:
There's no way Boone is following you, right?

I once had the entire Atomic Wrangler go hostile on me for no reason (I entered, they flashed red and attacked); went back to a save two minutes before, reentered, they were fine. So it's possible the game's just pissy about something it invented itself.

Nope, it's just me. Apparently dogs will auto-attack me for some reason and no one else will, so I'm just trying to sneak through with a stealth boy.

iammeiam

DevelopmentArrested said:
Is there anyway to do both the
House Always Wins and Render Undo Caesar
quests?

You can start both, but early on
Render Unto Caesar makes "kill House" your primary main objective; if you haven't offed him by part IV or V of "House Always Wins", you auto-fail the Caesar quest and go hostile to the Legion. If you kill House, you fail "House Always Wins", so.

vitaminwateryum said:
Nope, it's just me. Apparently dogs will auto-attack me for some reason and no one else will, so I'm just trying to sneak through with a stealth boy.

Huh. I have the same relationship with the NCR dogs at Helios One, but the troopers there didn't seem to care much.

iammeiam said:
You can start both, but early on
Render Unto Caesar makes "kill House" your primary main objective; if you haven't offed him by part IV or V of "House Always Wins", you auto-fail the Caesar quest and go hostile to the Legion. If you kill House, you fail "House Always Wins", so.
so its just a matter of personal taste on who i prefer i guess? hmmm

Mad_Ban

Impressions (PC) after 7 hours

* Haven't set foot in the strip yet and I was a bit peeved when I couldn't, but the huge amount of sidequests is keeping me happy about not being there yet.
* I personally think it's much better than FO3. It captures the feel of the older ones so much better than 3 and I've found myself laughing so much thanks to the script.
* Touchwood but I haven't had a single glitch so far. Running at 1080p/4xAA on ultra and getting a smooth 60 everywhere.

Does a gauntlet count as unarmed or melee weapon? When I look at it in the pipboy it has an unarmed icon, but when I put it in a hot key slot it shows as a melee weapon. Stupid glitches in this game...

Speaking of glitches... I picked up a 10 mm pistol and it was nowhere to be seen in my inventory. I reloaded several times and picked it up again, but it just wasn't there. I knew I had it though since I was overencumbered when I picked it up. So I dropped the 10mm pistol I was wearing, and the other pistol appeared. When I picked up my old pistol again, they had one slot each as usual. So weird... I hope that doesn't happen often cause it would be pretty shitty to have stuff lying in the background taking up weight.

EDIT: I have two throwing spears but it only shows one of them in the inventory. That shit needs to be fixed asap.

abundant

vitaminwateryum said:

Dogs automatically see through disguises.

I was walking around the Wasteland, near HELIOS One, when I noticed there was an entrance in one of the larger rock ranges. A lot of Bark Scorpions in there, but those went down easily enough. As I venture further in, though, I come across a few Radscorpions, who I managed to take down from afar. Ultimately, I reach an open plane, and the game informs me I've discovered "Scorpion Gulch". "Heh, no shit," I think, and at that exact moment I'm noticed by three Giant Radscorpions skulking around the clearing. Those shings scare the living hell out of me.

Good thing I had Veronica with me, her attacks are surprisingly powerful against those bad boys, especially in comparison to the little damage I do.

Ricker

Finally managed to complete Come Fly with Me...that quest has an awesome ending lol but it can be a little confusing at times if you don`t talk to the right people in a certain order...ill stay vague here but at one point,I talked to someone and we agreed to help each other but if I met him 1 minute later,he just started shooting at me for no reason...now I know why but that shouldn`t of happened...

The freakin mines and trap in this game scare the crap out of me if I don`t see them and they blow me to bits hehe...

mikeybwright said:
Ok this might sound like a weird issue...I've gotten into the Strip and have done a few quests in there but now when I try to get back it the door says "Key Required"...and from what I recall having a key wasn't how you get into the strip. :( if my game is glitched up I'm gonna be pissed (I've tried saving and reloading)

And since I can't fast travel to anywhere inside the Strip...I'm stuck outside ugh :(

I looked on gamefaqs...apparently this is a glitch, and the only way back in for me is to take the NCR monorail into the strip.

Max

I am not Max
My character is making random Supermutant growls and coughs out of nowhere for some reason and it scares the shit out of me every time :lol

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Seems the .dll is causing my game to crash, even though it worked perfectly fine last night. Guess I'll have to put up with the terrible performance.

Hyunkel6

Ricker said:
The freakin mines and trap in this game scare the crap out of me if I don`t see them and they blow me to bits hehe...
I hear you. They seem a lot more effective than in FO3 too. I once had to hike all way out of a dungeon to get to a doctor because I was out of doctor's bags. I can't wait to get the perk that makes me impervious to them.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm having a serious noob moment. Can someone please help me with the end of Come Fly With Me? I've done everything and it says I need to go to the
observation tower or whatever to watch the launch.
Where is this place? I figure it's not where I am currently
same room as the man who thinks he's a ghoul and there's a little window and I can clearly see the shuttles and Mr Bright and the other ghouls in their astronaut outfits
but no one is doing anything. They're just standing there, and Mr.
Wanna be ghoul is saying something like "It is almost time for the launch" or some such.
so if this isn't the
observation room
just where is it? This place is driving me crazy. I need sleep.

avcables

Banned
Just a heads up for those of you around the Mojave Outpost area, I walked back there today and traded with the merchant (he has a mercenary and cattle with him) and the game crashed both times I tried to complete the transaction. I'll get a picture of his entourage but your NPCs are undoubtedly going to look different.

avcables

Banned
GDGF said:
I'm having a serious noob moment. Can someone please help me with the end of Come Fly With Me? I've done everything and it says I need to go to the
observation tower or whatever to watch the launch.
Where is this place? I figure it's not where I am currently
same room as the man who thinks he's a ghoul and there's a little window and I can clearly see the shuttles and Mr Bright and the other ghouls in their astronaut outfits
but no one is doing anything. They're just standing there, and Mr.
Wanna be ghoul is saying something like "It is almost time for the launch" or some such.
so if this isn't the
observation room
just where is it? This place is driving me crazy. I need sleep.

Go back to where you first talked to
Mr. Bright
. The room is to the left when you first enter that area.

There is an arrow indicator showing you the way, you know.

Top Bottom