• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wallach

disappeared said:
Same here. I mean, I think i did one or two of their quests around Goodsprings, but after that I just kind of said 'meh' to them and the Legion. Although I am tempted to kill an NCR Ranger for their sweet armor.

I didn't even have to kill anyone to get that sweet armor I posted a couple pages back! Very convenient.

NightHawk17 said:
is it just me or is anyone else having way more fun with new vegas than fallout 3?

i played and beat fallout 3 but it never really grabbed my attention the way new vegas has, i cant put the game down:lol

I'm definitely enjoying it more. Fallout 3 was great but it suffered from that "Bethesda Bland" syndrome. New Vegas has more personality.

BTW, I'm using the Wild Wasteland trait. I can't see myself ever playing the game without it!

Ledsen

What the fuck Bethesda... I started playing a bit on my PC. I bought this version because I was afraid of bugs on the 360 even though I already had that version pre-ordered. Well as I played, I noticed that as I turned around, everything seemed to stutter really bad. I mean environmental objects like poles and shit look like they have Alzheimers, flickering back and forth like crazy when I turn. The more quickly I turn, the more they stutter. So I look this shit up, and apparently this crap has been going on since FUCKING OBLIVION and hasn't been fixed? What on God's green earth is wrong with these people?

So apparently, the fix is supposed to be to set "ifpsclamp = 60", which fixes the stuttering but makes the actual game speed change along with the framerate. Well, that's fine if you have a machine that can run the game at 60 fps. Mine can't. It's 60 indoors and about 30-40 outdoors. That means that if i put ifpsclamp at 60, when my fps goes under that it's slow-motion time. If I put ifpsclamp at 30, as soon as I go above that, everything moves like a smurf on speed. There's also no way to limit the fps to 30 (which I'd be willing to do). So basically this is a piece of shit game and

FUCK YOU BETHESDA

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My loads have been taking a lot longer once I hit the strip...getting annoying. I haven't had any other issues, though.

ezekial45

Banned
I have no idea what i just did.

I walked into one of the houses at Nipton and nearly got ambushed by Vulpis Inculta. I killed him and it said i failed 2 quests.

Were those quests for the The Legion, or for something else. I had no intention of joining the legion anyway.

Kuran

Banned
I can't believe the game did not expect me to go Hostile on the legionaires in the town with the hanged men.

Afterwards I mercy killed the men on the cross, I guess I ruined a quest there too.

Wallach

ezekial45 said:
I have no idea what i just did.

I walked into one of the houses at Nipton and nearly got ambushed by Vulpis Inculta. I killed him and it said i failed 2 quests.

Were those quests for the The Legion, or for something else. I had no intention of joining the legion anyway.

Yes, when you see "QUEST FAILED" warnings after killing people, it's essentially pre-emptively failing quests that you cannot complete after killing said person. Vulpes is tied to the Legion.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If I murder a guy in public unprovoked, say I step into the Vegas strip and blast his face off and leave, will people still be hostile when I return? Is there an amount of time I have to wait for things to cool down.

Wag

I can't even get the game to run- it just crashes as soon as I get to the startup screen. I tried to troubleshoot all the possible ways listed on the Bethesda forum and no go. This is on a clean install of Win7 x64- newest drivers, etc, etc. I'm going to try and get a refund out of Best Buy (yeah, I know, but I don't care). The game doesn't run, not my fault.

Salsa

Huh, after checking out this ED-E guy youve been talking about i realized i must have missed him or something.
Primm is now under the NCR and i already have Boone with me
, is the little guy worth it ?

SalsaShark said:
Huh, after checking out this ED-E guy youve been talking about i realized i must have missed him or something.

You can have two companions if the second one is
EDE or Rex
. Check the
Nash Residence in Primm to see if EDE is there, I can't think of a reason he wouldn't be. He isn't tied to the sheriff quest.

Dead

well not really...yet
SalsaShark said:
Yes, he can carry a ton of shit for you.

Also, he plays awesome cowboy music when you encounte bad guys

Great game I really like how now it seems WAYYY easier to get critical hits by aiming at very distant enemies with hunting rifle type weapons, and not in VATS just using iron sights. Very satisfying 20 hours gone by and still havent got remotely close to vegas itself.

Have a few questions though

1. You can implant MOD's up to your endurance (limit 9) to increase stats. I take it you can only do 1 per attribute though? Like you couldnt have +3 to AGL for example, just +1 AGL/+1STR/+1PER (or whatever obviously) is that right?

2. Do random people in towns stop and have conversations with each other? Because they havent for me at goodsprings, novac and Pimm. I loved that in Fo3, like people would stop and chat about stuff by conversing with each other (Per A: "I heard that..." Per B: "Yeah I think that..."). Made world feel more alive.

3. Are aliens in the game? And if so, is it only if you pick that wild wasteland perk?

cleveridea said:
You can implant MOD's up to your endurance (limit 9) to increase stats. I take it you can only do 1 per attribute though? Like you couldnt have +3 to AGL for example, just +1 AGL/+1STR/+1PER (or whatever obviously) is that right?
You are correct. The number of implants you can get is dependent on your Endurance, but only one per each stat.

cleveridea said:
2. Do random people in towns stop and have conversations with each other? Because they havent for me at goodsprings, novac and Pimm. I loved that in Fo3, like people would stop and chat about stuff by conversing with each other (Per A: "I heard that..." Per B: "Yeah I think that..."). Made world feel more alive.

No, there aren't any conversations like that.

3. Are aliens in the game? And if so, is it only if you pick that wild wasteland perk?
Yes, there is an alien encounter if you have Wild Wasteland.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Kuran said:
I can't believe the game did not expect me to go Hostile on the legionaires in the town with the hanged men.

Afterwards I mercy killed the men on the cross, I guess I ruined a quest there too.

I did the same. Couldn't help myself, really.

I did let that one crippled Powder Ganger holding up in the general store live, though. I felt like I owed it to him after slaughtering all of his friends back at the prison (not to mention the showdown at Goodsprings)

Basileus777 said:
No, there aren't any conversations like that.

Yes, there is an alien encounter if you have Wild Wasteland.

Thanks, yeah shame I think new vegas is an improvement over FO3 as a RPG is sooo many ways, but they only thing I miss is people stopping and talking to each other. Really added tremendous depth to it.

Salsa

Thanks dudes.

Another thing: Are you guys playing on Normal ? Doesnt it seem too easy ? im about to step it up a bit.

dammit, gonna start a new character but its gonna be so hard to go without the Living Anatomy perk - shows HP and DR for all characters - surprised how many enemy types actually have 0 DR. Guess thats what hollow points are for.

Zeliard

cleveridea said:
Thanks, yeah shame I think new vegas is an improvement over FO3 as a RPG is sooo many ways, but they only thing I miss is people stopping and talking to each other. Really added tremendous depth to it.

I wonder if that's something that could be triggered with a mod. There's one mod out that changes companion's behaviors when you send them back to town:

"This very simple mod changes the 'Wait here' AI packages for all New Vegas companions from guard mode to sandbox mode, which allows them to interact with the environment."

So potentially the NPC A.I. in towns just need a similar modification that allows them to interact, if it exists (which I assume it does since it's the same engine as FO3/Oblivion). It would have to be simplistic interaction and no dialogue, though, for obvious reasons. Unless someone just creates it.

SalsaShark said:
Thanks dudes.

Another thing: Are you guys playing on Normal ? Doesnt it seem too easy ? im about to step it up a bit.

I wouldn't play on anything below Hard, especially if you plan on getting companions. Use Hardcore mode as well if you aren't.

SalsaShark said:
Thanks dudes.

Are you playing hardcore? Game is wayyyyy too easy if not. Its still not that hard on normal, but it prevents the FO3 stimpack spam for invulnerability

Papercuts

SalsaShark said:
Thanks dudes.

I'm on normal but have hardcore on. Boone would pretty much break the game if he only went unconscious.

Zeliard said:
I wonder if that's something that could be triggered with a mod. There's one mod out that changes companion's behaviors when you send them back to town:

"This very simple mod changes the 'Wait here' AI packages for all New Vegas companions from guard mode to sandbox mode, which allows them to interact with the environment."

So potentially the NPC A.I. in towns just need a similar modification that allows them to interact, if it exists (which I assume it does since it's the same engine as FO3/Oblivion).

You could change the AI to stand next to each other, but your aren't going to get those kind of conversations unless someone records voice acting for it. That type of ambient dialogue doesn't work as well with text.

Zeliard

Basileus777 said:
You could change the AI to stand next to each other, but your aren't going to get those kind of conversations unless someone record voice acting for it. That type of ambient dialogue doesn't work as well with text.

Yeah I edited my post before you posted to note that it wouldn't work well with dialogue. It'd have to be more simplistic interactions, but even that would add a lot.

Salsa

cleveridea said:
Are you playing hardcore?

Yep.

It gets challenging here and there without the ability to insta-heal limbs without a doctor's bag, and yeah, Boone pretty much breaks the game, gonna let him go next time i start up the game.

Gonna play a bit more and see if i change difficulty to hard.

Basileus777 said:
You could change the AI to stand next to each other, but your aren't going to get those kind of conversations unless someone records voice acting for it. That type of ambient dialogue doesn't work as well with text.

yeah it really is insane how many lines they recorded that most people would never ever hear them. Hell some of the coolest parts of the game are in places that arent even near the main quest line, many I wouldnt have found without a guide.

Jintor

NPCs actually do have rudimentary conversational behaviour (I notice NPCs stopping down to say 'HI' to my Companions all the time) but it looks like there's no actual content for them to say, though I have seen one or two one line conversations (Fiend1: What the fuck are you looking at? Fiend2: What the fuck are YOU looking at? Fiend1: Later)

SalsaShark said:
Yep.

It gets challenging here and there without the ability to insta-heal limbs without a doctor's bag, and yeah, Boone pretty much breaks the game, gonna let him go next time i start up the game.

Gonna play a bit more and see if i change difficulty to hard.

yeah I was also surprised that as I levelled up game seemed a lot easier, plus super stimpacks can be so powerful they kinda are instant heals (esp with med 70 for living anatomy)

avcables

Banned
GreekWolf said:
What level are you? I can't even get to that Outpost, without this
Feral Reaver
charging out of the mountains and disemboweling me. I'm guessing it's impossible to navigate that area at level 5. :(

I was around level 5 at the time. I've seen a couple people say there are Deathclaws and harder mobs around the Primm -> Novac area, but I'm 30 hours in as well and have yet to encounter one.

I've heard the best area is by Sloan, though.

Gravijah said:
Holy shit I just stole
153 Rocket Souvenirs. Is there a purpose to these other than selling them? :lol

I did as well, but I never had a chance to use them during
Come Fly With Me

Ledsen said:
Rant that's been discussed 20 times since page 1 and dealt with an equal number, solved with the .dll fix

FUCK YOU BETHESDA

That's not the "right" fix anymore. Read through the thread or go here: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34778

Felix Lighter said:
Quick question: Is it safe to store stuff in the
Motel Room in Novac
?

I'm 30 hours into the game, 15 of which probably have been with my loot stored in the various places in my Novac hotel room. Haven't had an issue thus far but I've read a couple people who claim they have...

Now, for what I came to ask:

Is anyone having an issue getting around the
Boulder
area? The game crashes no matter which side I approach it from. I just finished helping
Camp Forlorn
etc. etc., visited
Hoover Dam
just to see what was going on that area, dropped by the Ranger station on the way there, too...but I can't get to that area.

Game locks up, freezes, then crashes right when I get close. :(

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Jintor said:
NPCs actually do have rudimentary conversational behaviour (I notice NPCs stopping down to say 'HI' to my Companions all the time) but it looks like there's no actual content for them to say, though I have seen one or two one line conversations (Fiend1: What the fuck are you looking at? Fiend2: What the fuck are YOU looking at? Fiend1: Later)

Yeah, for instance, Boone will get comments thrown at him depending on where you're at. "I wish I had a 1st Recon guy watching my back" or "You're not doing yourself any favors bringing him here. The NCR isn't liked much here" etc.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jintor said:

At least it's not as bad and painful to listen to as those Oblivion NPC conversations

DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE RECENT EVENTS BLACK MARSH?
OK THANKS DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT LADY WITH ALL THE DOGS?

at least it was funny but it killed any efforts they made towards creating a "living world"

Zeliard

WanderingWind said:
Yeah, for instance, Boone will get comments thrown at him depending on where you're at. "I wish I had a 1st Recon guy watching my back" or "You're not doing yourself any favors bringing him here. The NCR isn't liked much here" etc.

That's pretty cool, haven't noticed that yet. Guess I need to wander more.

avcables

Banned
Zeliard said:
That's pretty cool, haven't noticed that yet. Guess I need to wander more.

It'll happen most often when near other members of the NCR. They'll usually throw out a comment about his beret. :lol

SalsaShark said:

I don't know about everyone else but normal is kicking my ass. I breezed through Fallout 3 but this game seems to love throwing me in the middle of very large groups of enemies. I don't think I've ever encountered a stray enemy milling about, they're always in a pack of 5+, just waiting to run a train on me. Yesterday, for example, I saw a bighorn grazing. I thought he would be cool like the ones in the first town but he started charging at me. He was easy to kill so I just popped his head off real quick and suddenly nine more of these bastards show up out of nowhere chasing me all over the wasteland. I'm a low level so maybe it evens out, but right now this game is pretty rough.

Zeliard

Tkawsome said:
I don't know about everyone else but normal is kicking my ass. I breezed through Fallout 3 but this game seems to love throwing me in the middle of very large groups of enemies. I don't think I've ever encountered a stray enemy milling about, they're always in a pack of 5+, just waiting to run a train on me. Yesterday, for example, I saw a bighorn grazing. I thought he would be cool like the ones in the first town but he started charging at me. He was easy to kill so I just popped his head off real quick and suddenly nine more of these bastards show up out of nowhere chasing me all over the wasteland. I'm a low level so maybe it evens out, but right now this game is pretty rough.

There's an initial hump depending on how you allocated skills, but eventually you may find Normal to be too easy, especially if you get a companion (i.e. Boone, who has a sniper rifle and simply murders everything he sees).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cant think of a single game where random NPC conversations weren't painfully transparent and mechanical.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
EatChildren said:
I cant think of a single game where random NPC conversations weren't painfully transparent and mechanical.

Definitely one area that needs attention in the next generation of RPGs. You know, after the streamlining and whatnot.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
After a four hour session, I was inspired to draw a bit.

booneisawesome.jpg

Zeliard

EatChildren said:

Yeah, they're usually pretty goofy. :lol

It's worse in games that sort of try to "randomly" generate NPC dialogue, because you get two people who walk up to each other and start talking about two entirely different things.

Papercuts

chubigans said:

http://www.vertigogaming.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/booneisawesome.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

:lol

Perfect! I've had so many moments where I just see a slow mo cam kill before I even saw any enemies.

avcables

Banned
chubigans said:

This changes quite a bit if you have the
Ratslayer

I killed someone from what I would say is three to four times as far as you can even pick them up on your radar with that gun.

Nose Master

I think I'm fucked for ED-E My Love. I went to the scrapyard after Helios, so the old broad doesn't say her key words. Also: I tried going to HELIOS to talk to Igwhatever, but...
he's dead because I fried the NCR there, and the Legion has taken over the area. :lol
Do I have to finish the quest point in the scrapyard, or can I
hear the magic words
somewhere else?

Zeliard

The best part with Boone is when you two are just wandering the wasteland and you suddenly hear his sniper rifle go off, because you know something out there just got its shit fucked up.

Tkawsome said:
I don't have a whole lot invested in guns, but with Ed-e I'm able to crouch and get some decent range shots with a nice rifle like the cowboy repeater, gets me a crit usually and one shots them. Got a powder ganger from a good 400 feet
chubigans said:

http://www.vertigogaming.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/booneisawesome.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Amazing. Haven't met the guy yet but I want to!

Top Bottom