• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Mesijs

duckroll said:
I'm not saying it doesn't make the game more difficult at all. It definitely adds more challenge (which is why it's so fun), but I just don't think it's something that can be considered actually punishing. It's not the punishing sort of difficulty, it's the fun sort! :D
OK that sounds good... what about the difference between normal-hard-very hard? I played FO3 on normal and after a few hours it was really quite easy. How punishing are these other difficulties?

Zeliard

duckroll said:
Ditch Boone. He's a liability to fun. :lol

I visited the Powder Ganger prison after I had Boone, and the fucker just started picking them off before I had any idea anyone was even there. :lol I just look to my side and I see Boone sniping fools.

duckroll

Zeliard said:
I visited the Powder Ganger prison after I had Boone, and the fucker just started picking them off before I had any idea anyone was even there. :lol I just look to my side and I see Boone sniping fools.

The worst thing about Boone was not just that he made the game easy mode, but that he's just... psycho. Devoid of any human feeling at all. Didn't really mesh with my character's personality at all, so I ditched him for Cass. Loving her so far. Her comments while moving around are already so much more pleasant.

Btw, about Ed-E...
does anyone know how to trigger more playbacks from him? It's been quite a long time since the scrapyard event, and I haven't triggered anything since then. :/

duckroll said:
The worst thing about Boone was not just that he made the game easy mode, but that he's just... psycho. Devoid of any human feeling at all. Didn't really mesh with my character's personality at all, so I ditched him for Cass. Loving her so far. Her comments while moving around are already so much more pleasant.

Btw, about Ed-E...
does anyone know how to trigger more playbacks from him? It's been quite a long time since the scrapyard event, and I haven't triggered anything since then. :/

I noticed the same about Ed-E only that one time in the scrapyard and I've put in 10-12 hours, also if I do decide to ditch Boone is there any way to get him back as a follower? I sort of want him as a backup plan if I get stuck somewhere.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Best moment in the game, far surpassing even Vault 11, was the quest Wang Dang Atomic Tango.
So its any easy ass quest takes all of 5 minutes to complete but after finding the Sexbot and programing it I was able to have sex with it, depraved yes but my character is a whore, and it gets better. Upon leaving the robot factory in Freeside where I found and boned said Sexbot I was immediately attacked by a roving gang of Old ladies in spring casual dresses wielding rolling pins. Awesome.
I wish more stuff like that happened in the game.

duckroll

mikeybwright said:
I noticed the same about Ed-E only that one time in the scrapyard and I've put in 10-12 hours, also if I do decide to ditch Boone is there any way to get him back as a follower? I sort of want him as a backup plan if I get stuck somewhere.

When you ditch followers, they'll return to where you recruited them. Boone told me he was going back to Novac to hang around for a bit longer.

Haunted

Fredescu said:
The most difficult thing about this game is truly the atrocious interface.
Hilarious that there are several UI mods already out for this. It really is pretty badly designed (as in, usability, not presentation).

WanderingWind said:
Sure. Except for stimpacks not insta-healing. Or beds doing the same. Or being able to use easily obtained stimpacks to regenerate crippled limbs. Or companions who die instead of "being knocked out."

Sorry, but this makes the game more difficult, especially on hard. He wants a challenge...he'll get it thusly.

The biggest danger is crippled limbs. Man do you start to move slow out in the wasteland if you have crippled limbs and if ppl are like me and refuse to fast travel in Fallout games it becomes a real pain in the butt. Is there anything perk wise or S.P.E.C.I.A.L wise that helps protect against crippled limbs.

Zeliard

duckroll said:

I'm on the verge of ditching Boone mainly because my character is anti-NCR, and that doesn't mesh well with the NCR-loving Boone.

Don't have ED-E yet. Was that the robot you can fix at one of the early towns? I think when I stumbled on him/her my Science wasn't high enough.

Ditching Boone will let me check out that Companion Sandbox mod, too. Apparently if you send companions back and have them wait around they literally just stand there in whatever town, but with that mod they move around and do stuff.

duckroll said:
Btw, about Ed-E...

this might help from the wiki, note; some spoilers for that quest on the wiki

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/ED-E_My_Love

Using the "wait" feature will also speed up ED-E's speech events. Use the wait feature in increments of 1 hour inside Old Lady Gibson's house and after that anywhere else in the world.

Other possible keywords have been reported as being: Enclave, Navarro, Poseidon, Helios, and Archimedes. A way to incorporate another companion to help in this is to have Arcade Gannon present, as his personal quest being undertaken will result in many of the key words being spoken.

MMaRsu

duckroll said:
Yeah Boone is a really... broken companion. He fucking kills everything before I can see it. I'm really considering parting ways with him to pick up Cass now. She seems more.... human than his psycho killer dude. :lol

Boone is pretty amazing. Wearing the same outfit as him, we are like two psycho killers walking around :lol .

And yeaaaa he may be a little broken :p.

Jintor

Man, the Second Battle of Hoover Dam was actually kind of lame. NCR didn't do jack.

Probably because I had an epic army of Securitrons behind me

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Anyone feel like the radio music is way too low for how loud the announcer voices are? I can barely hear the songs so I crank up the volume but then Wayne starts talking and it's maddeningly loud.

Also, FWIW there seems to be a lot more announcer chatter in FONV than in FO3...

Trickster said:
Isn't it possible to move things lying on the ground somehow?
On the 360 controller (and PS3 I assume) you "aim" at the item and press R3. You'll pick it up and can move it around until you press it again to drop it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
duckroll said:
It's so weird playing a new Fallout game which really does feel like a sequel to Fallout 2. As far as any long time Fallout is concerned, New Vegas -is- Fallout 3. Not only is the writing and narrative style faithful, but there are so many direct connections in terms of characters, factions and location/setting. :D

But can you play as a retard?

Is SPECIAL ACTUALLY FUCKING USED in the Oblivion engine for once? FO3 your SPECIAL stats meant jack-squat with a few exceptions.

Fallout 1/2 SPECIAL made a difference depending on what your stats are. Even if the writing is good compared to Beths (not that that's fucking hard), if it doesn't play similar to Fallout 1/2, it's a dismal disappointment.

I should be able to play a stupid but strong motherfucker, or play a smart scientist that talks his way out of things. But Fallout 3 didn't do either and wanted you to SHOOTAN GAEMZ it. :|

GDGF

Soothsayer
I am having so much fun with this that I don't want it to end. I'm doing my best to play every side quest as they come.

Just found Boone. Now I just have to
find out which one of these guys sold his wife into slavery
. My money is on the
other sniper guy
but that's just a guess for now. I just figure since he's a
Khan sympathizer,
who knows what else he is capable of. Didn't really seem to like her very much, did he? Either way, I'm going to
do his ghoul quest
before I push him in front of a bullet.

Knuckleruckamus said:
Anyone feel like the radio music is way too low for how loud the announcer voices are? I can barely hear the songs so I crank up the volume but then Wayne starts talking and it's maddeningly loud.

Also, FWIW there seems to be a lot more announcer chatter in FONV than in FO3...

Definitely, thats an issue.

On a side note, I'm hoping for some first ever music DLC.

Where does one find small pistol primers and pistol powder? I have a jar of powder but it doesn't seem to be working when I am at the reloading bench. Anyone have some tips on where to find the necessary components for making some 9mm+P and some Magnum Buckshot?

mjc

Celsior said:
When you get near Cazadors, fun is the last thing on your mind.

I spent the better part of an hour last night reloading saves after getting destroyed by those things. I've got Boone and E-DE with me too.

daoster

Question regarding NCR and
Brotherhood of Steel
(I assume this is pretty late game).

Is there anyway for
BoS and NCR to place nice? I'm trying to go the NCR route this time around, but I don't want to really..kill off the Brotherhood.

P.S.
The Real Mr. House is pretty freaky...

Zinga

Banned
daoster said:
Question regarding NCR and
Brotherhood of Steel
(I assume this is pretty late game).

Is there anyway for
BoS and NCR to place nice? I'm trying to go the NCR route this time around, but I don't want to really..kill off the Brotherhood.

P.S.
The Real Mr. House is pretty freaky...

I want to do this as well so I have supported the other guy to be the new elder and I finished up all the quests, he lets me join the brotherhood and then.... nothing :( I have read some people on the net being able to get a dialog about a 'truce' between the brotherhood and NCR but I am guessing it's still buggy which pisses me off because I won't finish the game until it's fixed

syllogism

knitoe said:
Does Jury Rigging perk let you repair unique stuff with normal things? Deciding to get it or not.
Yes it does. It's pretty amazing since you can repair expensive stuff with all the crap you find everywhere. The base type has to approximately be the same as the item being repaired.

Also wow sniper rifles do ridiculous damage, more than DPS would indicate really. Especially the unique one.

JambiBum

syllogism said:
Yes it does. It's pretty amazing since you can repair expensive stuff with all the crap you find everywhere. The base type has to approximately be the same as the item being repaired.

Also wow sniper rifles do ridiculous damage, more than DPS would indicate really. Especially the unique one.

The ratslayer one? Cus I just got rid of it because I found a regular sniper that does more damage.

Is there a glitch in the Beyond the Beef quest? This would really blow because I'm looking forward to exposing things...

*EDIT* Never mind, had to go talk to the right person before being attacked. :D

j-wood

Is it necessary to keep EVERYTHING you find? As in, can it all be used for crafting or is some of it just junk?

I'm mainly referring to the stuff like a box of detergent. If you look at it's "item icon" in the menu, it's a pile of scrap. Should you keep that kind of stuff?

j-wood

j-wood said:
When you are on your inventory screen and looking at weapons, what does the bullet icon mean with the number next to it? (the one right about DPS). It's not the ammo count or anything because that is in the lower right corner

No one knows what this is?

dominuece

I'm having too much fun with this game. Only got 3 hours of sleep because I pulled an "all nighter" in the wasteland. Hardcore mode is amazing and really adds to the survival element. FO3 is one of my favorite games of all time, and so far NV has surpased it in every way. I love how everyone has a different story to tell about their adventures in the waste. Just reading this thread makes me want to go home and play!

Darkgran

After putting about 100 hours into Fallout 3 I am going to have to say this about New Vegas......

It is even better.

There are so many things to do....and the randomness of stuff is just amazing. You know a game is good when you have to force yourself to stop playing at 4 in the morning.

duckroll said:
Btw, about Ed-E...
I got a
playback triggered when I talked to the supply sergeant in Camp Forlorn Hope

JambiBum

j-wood said:
No one knows what this is?
It's the skill requirement to use the weapon to the fullest extent. Some weapons have a strength requirement. Some are just the skill. If you don't know what symbol matches what skill just look at your skill list and they are there.

syllogism

JambiBum said:
The ratslayer one? Cus I just got rid of it because I found a regular sniper that does more damage.
No, Gobi Campaign scout rifle. It does more damage than a regular sniper rifle and has a 5x crit % modifier.

I'm kind of addicted to moving junk around.
On my new character I sided with the Powder Gangers and ended up killing Sunny Smilies. I carried her body up the hill and dumped her in my grave. After a moment of silence I ran back down to grab her dog but I couldn't move that bitch for anything so I just dropped the dog-hide in the grave and ate the dog-meat.

Then at one point I found a house with a couple dead bodies. I tried and failed to drop the bodies in the corner and bury stuff on top of them. As a bonus a couple of eyeballs were still left on the bed and I couldn't move those.

Boone destroys stuff too quickly that's true but damn it's better than Veronica running into everything and getting knocked out. I'm going to go out and try to recruit some of these other guys.

Baha

Anybody else do the Wang Dang Atomic Tango quest in Freeside?
The moment I saw Fisto, I lost my shit :lol :lol . Yeah I even tested it (female character) "Is that all you got robot?"

Massa

AvidNobody said:
So what's the best version to get? 360 vs. PS3?

From Gamespot's review:

In addition, the longer you play, the slower the frame rate gets (on the Xbox 360), or the more noticeable the screen tearing and frequent pauses become (on the PlayStation 3).

The 360 version has AA and gets the DLC first.

Varna

Celsior said:
When you get near Cazadors, fun is the last thing on your mind.

Even though. Companions are definitely kind of broken. I can't imagine me and Boone have all that different stats. He is a sneaky sniper, I'm a sneaky sniper. But he has more HP, can carry more, can take one serious beating before dying (I have 7 END and die like in three hits from certain ghouls) and he doesn't need a radiation suite!

I'm on very hard with hardcore mode. He is obviously handling creates as if it was normal difficulty. Makes my character feel pretty pitiful. I have to plan an attack on radscorps (most of the time I just avoid them) and in general have a really hard time with heavily armored or really fast foes. He just blows them away.

I still like having him around. It isn't making the game that much easier plus he could die (and I don't plan on reloading). It's nice to have an extra 250 capacity. I just like to assume he is naturally better then my character because he was a soldier and is extremely experienced (though he is still leveling up...)

Pretty much hooked on the game now. I was out sick yesterday and pretty much played the game from 9am to 9pm... not one of my prouder moments.

Really looking forward to some mods that add weight to everything.

jax (old)

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
it's better than Veronica running into everything and getting knocked out. I'm going to go out and try to recruit some of these other guys.

she can wear power armour. go grab one from the corpses from the quest and give it to here. She's my powerhouse.

Smokey

Those that have completed the "Come fly with me Quest", I'm having some issues:

I've talked to Chris and I have to find the two requested items to help get the rockets off of the ground. One of them are rocket thrust controllers. I went to the scrapyard as indicated on the map...but I forgot that earlier in the game I killed the lady that owned this place:lol . So the arrow is there and I've looked inside and out of this place and cannot find them the arrow just keeps going all over the damn place. Am I screwed?

edit :
Yeah I think I'm screwed! The arrow is pointing at where she would be sitting if I wouldn't of blasted her..FUUUUUUU:lol

duckroll

Smokey said:
Those that have completed the "Come fly with me Quest", I'm having some issues:

I've talked to Chris and I have to find the two requested items to help get the rockets off of the ground. One of them are rocket thrust controllers. I went to the scrapyard as indicated on the map...but I forgot that earlier in the game I killed the lady that owned this place:lol . So the arrow is there and I've looked inside and out of this place and cannot find them the arrow just keeps going all over the damn place. Am I screwed?

If you killed her (why the FUCK did you kill you? lol) you can get the thrust controllers from a box somewhere inside her room I believe. Again, why the FUCK did you kill an innocent old lady? :lol

I see some help myself with a Vicky and Vance quest...

So I finally got enough Science to tell the robot he was hacked. Now I have some info about where the gun might have been taken... I've checked out all of Westside but there aren't anymore leads I can find. Any tips?

Top Bottom