• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wiggum2007 said:
Probably because you sided with Goodsprings when the Powder Gangers attacked? The conversation with the guard at the gate who you bribed was automatically triggered, but because you were vilified, once the conversation ended he saw through your disguise and attacked you.
I just used a Stealthboy so I could get by him after the conversation.

Yup, when in disguise, if you get near any security person, they will see through your disguise.

Luckily for me, at the prison, when the guy attacked, I killed him, and nobody else was alerted. I then was able to walk into the prison with my powder gang suit and nobody attacked me, and I got the
sheriff

Also, when you guys first met vulpes inculta in
Nipton
, did you guys kill him and his guards right away, or go complete the quest?

I can't decide what to do. I do want to end up allied with the NCR against the Legion, but not sure if I want to give up Quests at this point in the game. But I just hate that fucker.

What did you guys do?

Zeliard

avcables said:
I still have yet to use VATS. Iron sights rock.

Are you finding them too overpowered?

I haven't increased my Guns skill at all this entire game so far (still at base 10) and ironsights are still very effective for me. Even in a case where VATS has me aiming at something like 12%, if I just use ironsights instead from the same spot I frequently get a critical hit (which is sometimes a one-shot kill). And that's just ironsights with a basic rifle, not a modded scope or anything like that.

SketchTheArtist said:
Holy shitballs there's some major framerate drops in Freeside (I think that's what's the town's called)........Jesus! O_O

Try changing the water multisampling to Low. That setting is bugged on anything but Low and is a FPS killer whether there is water on the screen or not.

avcables

Banned
Zeliard said:
Are you finding them too overpowered?

I haven't increased my Guns skill at all this entire game so far (still at base 10) and ironsights are still very effective for me. Even in a case where VATS has me aiming at something like 12%, if I just use ironsights instead from the same spot I frequently get a critical hit (which is sometimes a one-shot kill). And that's just ironsights with a basic rifle, not a modded scope or anything like that.

Scopes seemed to help exponentially. I was missing a lot of shots with some guns early on. If I were to pull up VATS and get 12% on, say, the torso, I could probably hit it without VATS given that I'm a. crouched and b. have an enemy that's not moving too much. But a headshot? Near impossible without scopes at that distance.

Wallach

SlipperySlope said:
Try changing the water multisampling to Low. That setting is bugged on anything but Low and is a FPS killer whether there is water on the screen or not.

The setting isn't bugged, it's an NVidia driver issue. It doesn't cause any problems on ATI cards.

Oh, uh, I just reached the end of
Vault 11
. There were a few seconds of silence, which lead me to believe I might make it out alive, and then... you guys know what happens. I was actually able to make it out alive a few tries later by using a stealth boy and opening the entrance. That netted me 500xp, and now I'm at level 13.

And I don't think I'll be getting into New Vegas with this character if the area is run by NCR. I decided to help out my Legion brothers by exterminating every single person inside of Camp Forlorn Hope. Alone. And all I got in return was a lousy sword. I'm trying very hard to be the worst human being in the wasteland by helping out the Legion, but they aren't making it easy. Give me something. Anything! Even another quest, I don't care.

Wallach

SlipperySlope said:
Yup, when in disguise, if you get near any security person, they will see through your disguise.

Luckily for me, at the prison, when the guy attacked, I killed him, and nobody else was alerted. I then was able to walk into the prison with my powder gang suit and nobody attacked me, and I got the
sheriff

Also, when you guys first met vulpes inculta in
Nipton
, did you guys kill him and his guards right away, or go complete the quest?

I can't decide what to do. I do want to end up allied with the NCR against the Legion, but not sure if I want to give up Quests at this point in the game. But I just hate that fucker.

What did you guys do?

I actually reloaded that to try it a few different ways (your last question) and decided
to let them leave but tell Mojave Outpost about what happened. If you kill Vulpes right there you can't complete Cold, Cold Heart for some reason.

Ducarmel

Jerk 2.0 said:
Anyone else went to the NCR correctional facility before Primm?

Any consequences for dong this?

nothing much there will be a point when you will have to choose a side with a certain faction.

Zeliard

avcables said:
Scopes seemed to help exponentially. I was missing a lot of shots with some guns early on. If I were to pull up VATS and get 12% on, say, the torso, I could probably hit it with VATS given that I'm a. crouched and b. have an enemy that's not moving too much. But a headshot? Near impossible without scopes at that distance.

It's difficult to tell which ones have been actual headshots or not, but I've certainly gotten many instant, one-shot kills at a far distance with a simple varmint rifle and ironsights. This has been the case even at times when not crouching.

It just seems like using ironsights really increases your accuracy - not quite as much as a scope, but still pretty significantly.

Wallach said:
I actually reloaded that to try it a few different ways (your last question) and decided
to let them leave but tell Mojave Outpost about what happened. If you kill Vulpes right there you can't complete Cold, Cold Heart for some reason.

I'm leaning towards that too. It also makes you auto-fail another quest if you kill him right away, although I have no idea what that second quest is about.

So the two options are to let that fucker leave, or fail two quests. :(

jax (old)

Banned
don't know if I posted. Thought I did. but yeh

guns vs energy weapons.

My charater has 90 energy weapons and the concrentrated laser perk which gives 15% crit+15% more damage.

I'm kind of disappointed at how gimpy energy weapons are in the NV. In FO3, my character with a plasma rifle+VATS, could 1 shot kill most things.

Here in NV, the way its setup, guns in particular sniper rifle + vats is the weapon that can do the 1 shot head kills. The plasma rifle can't. I think is bizarre that conventional weaponry is better than the plasma tech.

weird.

Jax said:

guns vs energy weapons.

My charater has 90 energy weapons and the concrentrated laser perk which gives 15% crit+15% more damage.

I'm kind of disappointed at how gimpy energy weapons are in the NV. In FO3, my character with a plasma rifle+VATS, could 1 shot kill most things.

Here in NV, the way its setup, guns in particular sniper rifle + vats is the weapon that can do the 1 shot head kills. The plasma rifle can't. I think is bizarre that conventional weaponry is better than the plasma tech.

weird.

Apparently there's a Gauss Rifle and a unique variant somewhere the Mojave Wasteland. That should tip things in the favor of energy weapons.

I don't really mind though. The All American is my favorite gun.

Wallach

SlipperySlope said:
I'm leaning towards that too. It also makes you auto-fail another quest if you kill him right away, although I have no idea what that second quest is about.

So the two options are to let that fucker leave, or fail two quests. :(

Basically. Though, I'm pretty sure the other quest you fail is actually tied to Legion faction, so not something you'd probably ever do if you are going to try to gain faction with NCR.

I just figured I'd take care of him later. After I wasted everyone I wasn't really satisfied with the loot versus the resources required to kill 'em at that point in the game.

Jax said:

guns vs energy weapons.

weird.

The plasma rifle isn't exactly the peak of energy weapon design. It is more akin to the Service Rifle on the Guns side of things. A solid, mainstay type energy rifle.

For what it's worth, energy weapons boasts the single most powerful weapon in the entire game, though a lot of people will never get to use it.

Ducarmel said:
nothing much there will be a point when you will have to choose a side with a certain faction.

Haha, I killed the leader in the prison and his guards. Left the building, and nobody else in the prison cares since I'm still wearing their clothes. It'll probably affect something later I assume, but oh well. Guy was a dick.

Felt like Hitman though where you can kill the leader, and just walk out without anybody caring. Felt awesome.

I think of them as Raiders, although it's probably a little more complex than Raiders were in Fallout 3.

Fusebox

Banned
The missus came home with this on friday as a surprise for me, but I spent the weekend playnig Minecraft instead and now I feel like a c#$%.

I'll have to get started on this tonight.

So had the game since thursday on PS3, played it for over 10 hours with no problems.

Get home tonight and download the patch, 5 crashes within an hour... what a load of shit.

zlatko

Banned
I think I'm just going to have to give up on this game entirely. I'm not driven to play it like I was Fallout 3, and these constant crashes and quest stopping bugs are too much.

I could list at least 20 things I've encountered that has fudged the game up for me, and really I'm not seeing a reason WHY I want to put up with it anymore. Every quest I've done seems randomly placed and soulless unlike Fallout 3's.

:/

Zeliard said:
What makes Boone probably more overpowered than the rest is his sniper rifle. He's able to detect enemies that are far away and kill them before you even know anything is there.
Only if you have really low perception.. or you just aren't paying attention. On Very Hard Boone is pretty fragile and any of the stronger enemies in the game will rip him to shreds. He is two shot by deathclaws, 3 shot by those butterfly things, etc. Add in hardcore mode and once he goes down, that's it.

biggersmaller said:
I killed everyone, and became vilified instantly. Did anyone else play this way and regret it?
You'll only regret it if you're obsessed with completing just about every quest in one playthrough and not failing or missing any.

My character build is turning out to be pretty broken. Sniper rifles for enemies at a distance, melee weapons and shotguns up close. He must have something like 50% crit rate because his crits go off so frequently that deathclaws just get vaporized.. and I don't even have any really powerful unique guns yet (not using a guide, or I'd already have them).. although I guess That Machine is a pretty damn good shotgun. Even on Very Hard enemies would need twice as much health to pose much of a threat.

Again here is the current build I'm working with:
Final base stats after modding, without any gear on = 8 STR, 6 PER, 8 END, 1 CHR, 7 INT, 7 AGI, 9 LCK, +4 DT
01 Fast Shot and Built to Destroy, 02 Rapid Reloads, 04 Educated, 06 Bloody Mess, 08 Cowboy, 10 Finesse, 12 Shotgun Surgeon, 14 Purifier, 16 Better Criticals, 18 Super Slam, 20 Confirmed Bachelor, 22 Sniper, 24 Ninja, 26 Nerves of Steel, 28 Jury Rigging, 30 ?

kai3345

Banned
zlatko said:
I think I'm just going to have to give up on this game entirely. I'm not driven to play it like I was Fallout 3, and these constant crashes and quest stopping bugs are too much.

I could list at least 20 things I've encountered that has fudged the game up for me, and really I'm not seeing a reason WHY I want to put up with it anymore. Every quest I've done seems randomly placed and soulless unlike Fallout 3's.

:/
lol have fun missing out on one of the best games this gen

Wallach said:
Basically. Though, I'm pretty sure the other quest you fail is actually tied to Legion faction, so not something you'd probably ever do if you are going to try to gain faction with NCR.

I just figured I'd take care of him later. After I wasted everyone I wasn't really satisfied with the loot versus the resources required to kill 'em at that point in the game.

Ooh, that reminds me. Were you using the gun that the Jackals drop right before you head into that area? I love that gun. Shoots 357's and doesn't have the slowness of a Magnum. I get one-shot kills frequently with that gun. Love it. I couldn't have taken them all out without that gun. Everything else I had was too weak/slow.

Another plus for this game is the prevalence of Magnum ammo. In Fallout 3 that ammo was fucking impossible to find, and here I am in New Vegas at level 5 with over 100 rounds and a gun that blows people away with them.

The Jackal's Metal Armor is actually useful too. By the time I first saw Metal Armor in F3, it was already too heavy and weak to bother with. It seems to be placed at the proper location in this game level-wise.

I haven't had an in-game crash yet on the PC *knocks on wood*. It sounds like, according to this thread, the PS3 patch should have had more testing. Maybe a DLL was accidentally outdated or something, who knows. The frequency they are rushing out patches, I wouldn't put it past them to get a DLL mixup.

Zeliard

mjemirzian said:
Only if you have really low perception.. or you just aren't paying attention. On Very Hard Boone is pretty fragile and any of the stronger enemies in the game will rip him to shreds. He is two shot by deathclaws, 3 shot by those butterfly things, etc. Add in hardcore mode and once he goes down, that's it.

PER is at 5 and I'm playing on Very Hard with Hardcore mode. I haven't fought Deathclaws yet but saying Boone gets beat by them is fairly irrelevant given how many other enemies there are in the game. He also owned Nightkins with ease during one quest, even in close combat. It's a broken companion.

owlbeak

I've had one crash on PC on the road between Nipton(?) and Novac. Crashed to desktop right when I got to a large billboard near a Legionnaire camp.

zlatko

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
As I said a few posts up im getting it too, guessing it was a rush job patch

I'll chime in to add that my crashes and overall bugs did not start UNTIL a patch went up for PC version. The first few days I played were bug free aside from getting stuck in a rock with 0 crashes. Now it's dime a dozen stuff that screws up the game.

Fallout 3 I never crashed once in my hundred + hour playing. NOT ONCE. I didn't buy any DLC which is where I heard things went bad, but this game has overall been a much worse playing experience for me.

Boone + Chainsaw + Vault 3

Holy fucking shit. I just hear the faint sound of a chainsaw... I walk through the halls and... what carnage. He looks super bad-ass with chainsaw plus the beret and the shades.

Wallach

SlipperySlope said:
Ooh, that reminds me. Were you using the gun that the Jackals drop right before you head into that area? I love that gun. Shoots 357's and doesn't have the slowness of a Magnum. I get one-shot kills frequently with that gun. Love it. I couldn't have taken them all out without that gun. Everything else I had was too weak/slow.

Another plus for this game is the prevalence of Magnum ammo. In Fallout 3 that ammo was fucking impossible to find, and here I am in New Vegas at level 5 with over 100 rounds and a gun that blows people away with them.

The Jackal's Metal Armor is actually useful too. By the time I first saw Metal Armor in F3, it was already too heavy and weak to bother with. It seems to be placed at the proper location in this game level-wise.

Nah, I don't use any kind of firearms or energy weapons myself. I probably will on my next character.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, I just answered my own question. The 360 patch breaks the send companion to
Lucky 38
dialog option. I wonder why? :(

kai3345

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
just installed New Vegas to the 360slim, here we go.. I cant wait to get lost in the wasteland again.
might want to uninstall. For some reason installing (at least for me) seemed to cause more bugs/crashes

I never had a crash until I installed and in the 4 hours I had it installed, I had three crashes. Since uninstalling 2 days ago, I haven't had a crash since.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
A little advice to you all about this glitch/problem I came upon for people doing the "Return to Sender Quest:

OMFG!! I went to "Brewers Beer Bootlegging" place. Took almost everything I needed and headed out to Ranger's Foxtrot place for the aforementioned quest just over the beer place. So I go wandering past the beer place and I come against several Cazadores who attack me in sight so then I jumped into this boulder/rock thingy engraved in the ground and for some odd reason, I get inside the boulder/rock thingy and I couldn't get out. I was literally like part of that boulder with no way out. I walked on every corner of that boulder that swallowed me whole for some way out but nothin so I gave up and loaded my autosave from the Bootleggin beer place. So beware guys and keep that autosave feature on for everything ( going inside houses, sleeping, etc.)

Wallach

Definitely fighting the urge to roll another character. There's so much cool stuff in this game. I'm tempted to just burn through the remainder of the main quest so I can justify starting over. :lol

avcables

Banned
Zeliard said:
It's difficult to tell which ones have been actual headshots or not, but I've certainly gotten many instant, one-shot kills at a far distance with a simple varmint rifle and ironsights. This has been the case even at times when not crouching.

It just seems like using ironsights really increases your accuracy - not quite as much as a scope, but still pretty significantly.
Well in comparison to VATS, iron sights are much more accurate, but overall is still harder to be more productive than while in VATS. Probably because VATS is indeed the easy way out. I know it goes without saying but while in VATS you stop time to let the game control a stat-based percentage to hit the enemy. Iron sights give a boost in accuracy but allow the enemy to continuously take pot shots at you while you're trying to aim down the sights.

Fair trade, IMO. Iron sights changed the entire mechanics of the game for me.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
ok now my companions either turned to pussies or it's prolly some glitch.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

because now my companions are holed up in some house and won't come out when I go outside like usual.

Kuran

Banned
I'm a bit disappointed by hardcore mode.. I wish it had an inventory system similar to the first Deus Ex. I'm still able to carry a million things..

jax (old)

Banned
Wallach said:
For what it's worth, energy weapons boasts the single most powerful weapon in the entire game, though a lot of people will never get to use it.

hmm?

anyhow, non of the laser weapons are any good. Which is shocking because in fallout 1-3 + tactics, the energy weapons are king of the hill - as it should be.

the RCW/plasma/laser rifle are all majorly disappointing. I'm starting with my late stage quests (House wins series) and there better be something good somewhere in there.

Vault 11 + weapon commentary
at the sacrifice room, you get beseiged by robotsand I couldn't survive without swapping to the sniper rifle. I would try VATS with the plasma and it wouldn't do much damage

ckohler said:
Don't you mean *NO* VATS?

no vats = impossible to play.
also the only thing making this game a fallout game instead of genri FPS 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 is VATS.

Bebpo

Banned
Jax said:
hmm?

anyhow, non of the laser weapons are any good. Which is shocking because in fallout 1-3 + tactics, the energy weapons are king of the hill - as it should be.

the RCW/plasma/laser rifle are all majorly disappointing. I'm starting with my late stage quests (House wins series) and there better be something good somewhere in there.

Vault 11 + weapon commentary
at the sacrifice room, you get beseiged by robotsand I couldn't survive without swapping to the sniper rifle. I would try VATS with the plasma and it wouldn't do much damage

My Plasma Defender is great for non-bosses. Energy is cheap and it does good fast damage.

For bosses yeah, I used high-end normal guns though. As opposed to energy weapons in previous Fallout games.

Top Bottom