• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Dead

well not really...yet
Question about (faction spoiler)
the Brotherhood of Steel questline

What advantage is there to
Ousting McNamara and making Hardin the new Elder? Ive heard you can make the NCR and the Brotherhood friendly. Does this choice factor into that?

I feel like the #1 thing this game gets right so far is that you can and should be fucking scared at things that appear in the wasteland. And there's much more use for all the detritus you find around places in hardcore mode. Playing on the harder difficulties makes this game so much better.

It also feels like the skills have a lot more use and variety. I find myself not wanting to min/max things but looking at other skills and thinking of all the uses for things like survival and the like.

Bebpo

Banned
Dead said:
Question about (faction spoiler)
the Brotherhood of Steel questline

What advantage is there to
Ousting McNamara and making Hardin the new Elder? Ive heard you can make the NCR and the Brotherhood friendly. Does this choice factor into that?

yeah, I think if you oust him you can't

kai3345

Banned
Jax said:
no vats = impossible to play.
also the only thing making this game a fallout game instead of genri FPS 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 is VATS.
And the perks and the stats and the characters and the setting

Timber

the coaction of VATS and real-time shootan is what makes the combat somewhat bearable. if i were restricted to either mode i'd throw a frag nade under my character's feet, switch off the game and never look back.

bill.cosby

Neo Member
kai3345 said:
might want to uninstall. For some reason installing (at least for me) seemed to cause more bugs/crashes

I never had a crash until I installed and in the 4 hours I had it installed, I had three crashes. Since uninstalling 2 days ago, I haven't had a crash since.

Hmm weird. I have it installed and haven't had a single crash 18 hours in. Just a few graphical hiccups with the framerate and the quest waypoint not pointing the right way one time. I guess it's a mileage may vary kind of thing. I had alot more technical problems with Fallout 3, which seems to be the opposite of what's happening for everyone else at the moment.

I played this game a lot today. Almost 10 hours holy shit. Now at the point where quests are going in every direction and it's a little overwhelming on what to do first.

CAW

Jax said:
re:eek:usting

apparently if you do. you won't get
power armor training
You can still get the training from
Orion Moreno, depending on how you complete the Arcade Gannon quest line.

Zeliard

avcables said:
Well in comparison to VATS, iron sights are much more accurate, but overall is still harder to be more productive than while in VATS. Probably because VATS is indeed the easy way out. I know it goes without saying but while in VATS you stop time to let the game control a stat-based percentage to hit the enemy. Iron sights give a boost in accuracy but allow the enemy to continuously take pot shots at you while you're trying to aim down the sights.

Fair trade, IMO. Iron sights changed the entire mechanics of the game for me.

Yeah, those are good points. The game in general is a good deal more difficult than vanilla Fallout 3, so it isn't much of an issue. Ironsights also make the gunplay feel a bit better.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Was weird, I was visiting the Vault 21 Hotel for the first time, and some guy dressed in NCR MP armor follows me in and attacks me after saying something about me owing someone money. I'm idolized by the NCR at the moment, so I have no idea what that was about.

duckroll

graywolf323 said:
where can I find more stealth boys?

only one I've found so far was in the first town's school's safe

You can steal one in one of the tents in Camp Mccaren too. It's in a footlocker in the first main tent you see iirc.

Timber

what i'm really digging is that obsidian wasn't reluctant to put high level enemies right on your doorstep. after having played the game for a whopping 10 mins i ventured north of goodsprings and after a minute of hiking encountered some flying bugs and mistook them for nuisance cannon fodder. load game, mental note not to head that way again anytime soon. sure it's a barrier to direct the player (south, you idiot, south!), in an open world game no less, but i do like being all fresh-faced and ready to take on the whole wasteland and promptly being taught a lesson in humility.

or in an area where i disposed of all the critters with ease, turning a corner to check out an unexplored area of interest, 10 exp You have discovered a whole goddamn deathclaw family RUN the fuck away.

I got a question about the infamy stats with each faction

I havnt reached Vegas yet but did I read somewhere that it doesnt matter if you have a bad status with some factions as when you get to vegas you can redeem them?

I wanted to kill the NCR but didnt as I want to be friends with the Leigon but havnt come across them yet for being able to join them (im upto that Boulder City place)

I also found that place with the solar pannels, that NCR guarded place, but shouldnt i be going to that place later, not before getting to vegas? ( i didnt save but saw an option to attack the NCR with it? )

Timber said:
what i'm really digging is that obsidian wasn't reluctant to put high level enemies right on your doorstep. after having played the game for a whopping 10 mins i ventured north of goodsprings and after a minute of hiking encountered some flying bugs and mistook them for nuisance cannon fodder. load game, mental note not to head that way again anytime soon. sure it's a barrier to direct the player (south, you idiot, south!), in an open world game no less, but i do like being all fresh-faced and ready to take on the whole wasteland and promptly being taught a lesson in humility.

or in an area where i disposed of all the critters with ease, turning a corner to check out an unexplored area of interest, 10 exp You have discovered a whole goddamn deathclaw family RUN the fuck away.

Missed the signs did we? :lol

Edit: SalsaShark is a bad boy.

avcables

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Missed the signs did we? :lol

Edit: SalsaShark is a bad boy.

The funny part is there are about seven signs posted to BEWARE OF THE FUCKING DEATHCLAWS THEY'RE EVERYWHERE and not to mention the GIANT FUCKING RADSCORPIONS LITTERING THE WASTELAND

Zeliard

Timber said:

It also allows you to enact some Midgard Zolom-style vengeance. At some point I met some random camp of aggressive no-faction assholes that kept killing me - I'd reload and try to take them out using various tactics but I wasn't able to, since there were simply too many. I made a note of that spot and returned later with better weapons and a companion in tow and proceeded to wipe them all out.

Zeliard

LabouredSubterfuge said:
What's the key to killing Radscorpions? They won't fucking die.

If there are a bunch I usually try to cripple a couple. But generally I go with the "shoot them in the face many times" tactic.

SalsaShark said:
Not really. Its like the first thing she tells you in her dialog tree when you talk to her. Ill spoiler tag anyway.

Haven't met her yet but it still would've been cool to find out in-game. No biggie either way.

ScrubJay

So, in case anyone was thinking about it, don't go east to Novac from Goodsprings, follow the roads like the game tells you. I have no idea how I survived that trip but it wasn't pretty in the least. Spoiling just in case
Went through a nest of giant radscorpions, and ran through a nuclear crater on the way out full of evolved centaurs. At least I met a cool super mutant friend.

Freeside is a pretty uninspiring place, go here do that.. I know some quests have to have that element to make the rewards of freedom and new areas worthwhile but I dunno. Just seems like a dump. Interestingly it's the first place I've wanted to save.

I have no idea where I'm meant to be going and have little desire to explore.

edit. My character, cleaning up Freeside with her cowboy repeater.

QIFIa.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Damn, game just glitched the shit out of me. Was in the middle of a fight with Super Mutants, and all of my projectiles ended up frozen in mid air, whether it was from laser rifles, incinerators, etc, and eventually the game just froze :\

Salsa

So what the fuck is up with
Fiends
? are they a mini faction or something ? is there a way to befriend them or should i just keep killing them on sight ? ive done nothing to offend them and they keep attacking me. Im asking because i am now at South Vegas and they seem to have a whole "village" going on. And i also killed some of them with names and all. No dialog option, never :/

graywolf323 said:
where can I find more stealth boys?
Try the Come Fly With Me quest. The enemies in the REPCONN basement drop stealth boys frequently.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
What's the key to killing Radscorpions? They won't fucking die.
Hit the tail, it's the equivalent of a headshot.

Hylian7

Spoilers about a certain place North of Vegas:

Has anyone been to The Thorn yet? That place is buggy as hell (no pun intended). 9 times out of 10, I place my bet and both sides just come out and stare at each other in the middle. A few times when I fought in the Thorn myself, I got stuck in the arena after the match! One time this resulted in everyone shooting and killing me! It's good XP when it doesn't fuck up on you though.

avcables

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Saw the first vid you posted. Where did you get that rifle ?

In the Broc Flower Cave, a bit...East? Southeast? Of Novac. I think it's South-southeast, actually. Almost near the main road.

Salsa

avcables said:
In the Broc Flower Cave, a bit...East? Southeast? Of Novac. I think it's South-southeast, actually. Almost near the main road.

ill be sure to check that, thanks!

I basically played FO3 sniping the whole time and i cant believe i havent found a Sniper Rifle in New Vegas yet :(

Top Bottom