• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Tripwood

Darkshier said:
Question for one of the Wildcard quests....
how the hell do you get into the Boomers headquarters at Nellis Air Force Base? Anytime I try from any angle it's just artillery fest 99. I tried buying the directions from the guy there, but trying to follow them still gets me killed. Any easy way to get into the Boomers hideout?

Keep running next to the rocks on the left, once you get to the bit where the rocks block the view to the tower you should be safe. From there is a short distance to the fence and the shelling would stop even before you reach it. Then follow the fence to the right until you reach the entrance. That's how i did it, i'm sure there is an alternative way.

epmode

Shinjitsu said:
Perks are every 2 levels in New Vegas.
Yeah, it's an interesting change. It was pretty easy to get a Fallout 3 build with nearly every useful perk for your character. Here, I'm passing stuff up left and right. And I mean that in the best possible way.

(and I know that the original Fallout games gave even fewer)

Shinjitsu

Banned
epmode said:
Yeah, it's an interesting change. It was pretty easy to get a Fallout 3 build with nearly every useful perk for your character. Here, I'm passing stuff up left and right. And I mean that in the best possible way.

(and I know that the original Fallout games gave even fewer)

It really makes you think hard about your perks, I like it. The change oddly makes me feel more attached to my character.

Shinjitsu said:
Perks are every 2 levels in New Vegas.

That's some bullshit right there. Oh well.

Come fly with me was one weird quest.
In the end, the whole thing felt pointless. They're all going to die.

Also, those invisible enemies can be hard when your mobility is limited. Like in hallways.

Edit - That every two levels thing annoys me greatly. I like having the option to create god-like characters in RPG's. It's half the reason I play them. I don't really want to use a mod though because I don't like to cheat in RPG's. Ugh...

ckohler said:
Simple question... Do you ever get a place to live where you can store items, like your apartment in Megaton in Fallout 3?

Can't live there, but you can store your items in the safe in the school in Goodsprings. Those items won't disappear on you.

epmode

ckohler said:
Simple question... Do you ever get a place to live where you can store items, like your apartment in Megaton in Fallout 3?
Yeah, you get livable spaces. I've also found places that don't ever seem to reset the items inside. Victor's cabin in the starting town, for one.

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone have a clue where the NCR Ranger Safehouse is?

Ive had the key for that for a while now, but was enver given a map marker to point out where the hell it is

dominuece

Ok. This is my GOTY so far. New Vegas is ridiculous! I've been playing for 14 hours and I haven't seen Vegas. Hell, it could be dlc at this point and it wouldn't matter :lol. There are so many missions and the crazy shit that happens...wow. In Novac,
some ranger dude taught me a special technique where I can push enemies down. This was because my speech was high enough

jax (old)

Banned
was it really 1 perk/level in FO3? I don't mind not getting one every level. makes it feel more like you're doing something meaningful to sculpt the character.

So in the Lucky 38 Penthouse, I've seen people mention some of the containers aren't safe. Anyone know which ones specifically are/aren't?

Seems like a far nicer place to live than the other crappy motel rooms I've got so far, but would rather not lose everything...

Dresden

dominuece said:
Ok. This is my GOTY so far. New Vegas is ridiculous! I've been playing for 14 hours and I haven't seen Vegas. Hell, it could be dlc at this point and it wouldn't matter :lol. There are so many missions and the crazy shit that happens...wow. In Novac,
some ranger dude taught me a special technique where I can push enemies down. This was because my speech was high enough
SWEEP THE LEG

hell yeah, man.

Wallach

So now that people are getting a little farther along in the main story, what path did you decide to take regarding
Mr. House?

avcables

Banned
HadesGigas said:
Wonder if this is just a little glitch in my game, or everyones.

Fisto gives me 10 bottlecaps every time I turn down his "services".

Nevermind, it was just the women that happened, right?

duckroll

I remember Julia Fawkas mentioning that there is a Follower supporter on the Strip and that if I go there I should meet the person. Anyone know who it is and where? Can't remember a name and I don't see any Follower NPC in the NCR embassy area...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Revolutionary said:
He also suggests the train tracks to the south...
If you follow them north you'll reach the base. You'll still get bombed but for a shorter period and you have a lot more cover and such so you should survive. If not, reload. Quicksave FTW.

This was another quest where playing on hardcore with companions was a pain in the ass. :lol

duckroll said:
I remember Julia Fawkas mentioning that there is a Follower supporter on the Strip and that if I go there I should meet the person. Anyone know who it is and where? Can't remember a name and I don't see any Follower NPC in the NCR embassy area...

There's one that will meet you if you go in and out of Lucky 38 a few times. At least that's what I think triggered it.

avcables

Banned
ALL LIES
avcables said:
I have a feeling there are still more WW things yet to be found. So far 17 have been cataloged. There has to be more out there.

But one of the WW occurrences is listed as Mr. New Vegas on the radio. That can't be right?

Occurrence: Mr. New Vegas sometimes introduces his music with: "You know, I tried to measure my charisma on a Vit-o-matic Vigor Tester once. The machine burst into flames." The sweet-talking doesn't end there either. He has a special news sign-off, and some home truths about the Mojave.

Does everyone here these lines or just us WW people?

Edit: Just checked my guide. It only lists 15 in there. Oh well. :(

I don't believe anything anyone says anymore.

Branson

Wow, loving this game so far. Come Fly With Me
Anybody know what happens when you change the trajectory of the rockets? That quest was strange. But I loved it.

Zinga

Banned
Finished the main storyline, but not too happy about the direction I was forced to take because
The NCR questline wouldn't let me ally with the brotherhood with the new guy as Elder, which is stupid because there is no hint about that whatsoever, in fact the dialogue hints that Hilden would be more open to an alliance than anything so I ended up going with Yes Man and making New Vegas my own

At least I have a reason for another playthrough I guess!

Salsa

VAnj6.png

Lesbian my ass

So, I'm walking to Crimson Caravan from Goodsprings for the Heartache by the Numbers quest when all the sudden Victor shows up. He starts talking to me and says things along the lines of "oh, you came to Novac too?," mind you, Crimson Caravan is North West of Goodsprings while Novac is basically directly east.

I'm sure the game is just wigging out, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything because of this. Has this happened to anyone else?

P.S. - I've given up going to Crimson Caravan for the time being because Cazadors keep raping the shit out of me.

avcables

Banned
Quote said:
So, I'm walking to Crimson Caravan from Goodsprings for the Heartache by the Numbers quest when all the sudden Victor shows up. He starts talking to me and says things along the lines of "oh, you came to Novac too?," mind you, Crimson Caravan is North West of Goodsprings while Novac is basically directly east.

I'm sure the game is just wigging out, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything because of this. Has this happened to anyone else?

P.S. - I've given up going to Crimson Caravan for the time being because Cazadors keep raping the shit out of me.

You're not missing anything as far as conversations with ol' Vic go. Novac is important, though.

graywolf323

Quote said:

Crimson Caravan is definitely northeast of Goodsprings not northwest

stupei

So just like with FO3, one of the things that annoys me most in the game is getting totally lost in dark, cramped locations. The in game map system is so terrible.

So I'm going in circles in Repconn:
I got the jailer key but somehow can't figure out where Harland's friend is being kept. I assume she's dead but just want to find her so I can report back. Any tips on figuring out where that door is?

avcables

Banned
NoRéN said:
What does +p ammo do?

The "P" stands for pressure. Basically, the round has more gun powder which means it's a faster projectile. 10% bonus to damage, negates 2 off the DT of the target, but degrades the weapon that is using it 20% faster than normal.

So, perusing the wasteland...

At Camp Golf. Standing in certain spot causes this to happen and it freaked me out.

FalloutNV%202010-10-24%2023-45-31-96.jpg

Rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon.

FalloutNV%202010-10-25%2000-06-12-26.jpg

It would be amazing if the golf course was kept in shape.

FalloutNV%202010-10-25%2001-19-40-83.jpg

Annnd I don't know how this happened. I don't know how I reacted fast enough to screencap it, either. But I can't reproduce it. Underwater, barely, looking up towards the surface at about a ten degree angle.

FalloutNV%202010-10-25%2001-24-09-33.jpg

Tkawsome said:
Strange. I was hated by the Powder Gangers and they normally would shoot me on sight. I walked up to the NCR Jail and they were perfectly cool with me walking around even when I wasn't disguised. I just strolled up to their gang leader and straight up assassinated him and his lackeys. I hope that's not going to hurt me later on, but I doubt it. What's strange is that I get negative karma for stealing from them, but positive karma for killing them...

That's because you're not stealing from them, you're stealing from the NCR, whom the Powders stole from first when they rioted. The Powder Gangers don't own anything, they were chain-gang laborers until very recently. Ever notice that their armor above the most basic style is actually prison guard type equipment? ;)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lonewolf_92 said:
That's because you're not stealing from them, you're stealing from the NCR, whom the Powders stole from first when they rioted. The Powder Gangers don't own anything, they were chain-gang laborers until very recently. Ever notice that their armor above the most basic style is actually prison guard type equipment? ;)

Well thats some fridge brilliance right there.

JaCy

Has anybody ran into any references of Fallout 3? I picked up a Wasteland Survival Guide in a shack but that's it.

Bebpo

Banned
Alright, finished it 4 times over about 45 hours (just reloaded a few hours back each time to change things). I think I'm about done with this, but I have some remaining questions of things I didn't get answers to:

1. The only major branch I didn't see was working for Legion and keeping Ceasar alive (my med even with mags wasn't high enough to save him on that save). Does keeping him alive go into the "burning man" subplot?

2. If not, does one of the Legion subplots do anything with the burning man? All the background on the story of the burning man makes it seem like there is some event where you run into him and I really wanted to find that but I was pro-NCR/House/Myself and anti-Legion the whole game so I didn't do any Legion questing besides their main story path.

3. Is there any way to trigger the party member quests? I did Cass/Veronica/ED-E/Rex but Raul never triggered and I got the doc's quest TWICE during two different endings when I was in the middle of the final battle and couldn't do them :\ After the first time that happened I loaded my pre-point of no return save and spent 5 hours with him finishing up the remaining locations/side-quests and he never brought it up. I really wanted to see the Enclave since they were the only group/cool armor missing from the fallout mythos in my playthrough.

4. Does Lily have a quest besides the stealth boy mk.2 one?

5. Can you get an ending still with ED-E where it actually says something instead of beeping? The ED-E subplot was weird. It was like "hey this has Enclave data" and then you bring it to a place and it gets upgrade and never spoken about again.

6. Is there a way you were supposed to earn a ranger outfit (the cover of the game) from the NCR like you earn the Power Armor from the Brotherhood? Even in the route where I was idolized by the NCR and stuck with them the whole way they never gave me one so I had to shoot one of their guys and steal his outfit to try it out.

I think that's about it. Pretty good game. Felt very Obsidian in story/quest structure, very Fallout 1/2 in worldview and for better or worse the gameplay was basically Bethesda's Fallout (worse for me because I hate Bethesda gameplay). Really impressed by the amount of content and ways to accomplish things. Obsidian rocks.

For me Fallout 2 > 1 > New Vegas >>> 3

Lonewolf_92 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that reasoning works anymore. I ran into a Legionaries camp and wasn't able to steal from them either. Again, killing them was fine.

avcables

Banned
Tkawsome said:
Yeah, I'm not sure that reasoning works anymore. I ran into a Legionaries camp and wasn't able to steal from them either. Again, killing them was fine.
It's broken. The value(s) that denote whether an item is being stolen or not has to be bugged. I found a tin can on the bottom of the lake near Camp Golf that was red. Surely the lake doesn't own this tin can.

Maybe Kevin Costner owns it.

Bebpo

Banned
I was thinking, they should have made each group having unique money more important. Like when you deal with a group they should only accept their currency (maybe there are some sellers that do that? But all the ones I would trade with just dealt in caps). The only time I ever noticed the unique money of NCR/Legion was when getting chips for gambling. It was a neat idea having 3 currencies at once, but I felt like they didn't really do anything with it.

Arozay

The scariest thing in this game is when you're just wandering around and one of your passive companions kills something randomly and you get the whole vats slow-mo treatment for an enemy you didn't even see.

duckroll

Danne-Danger said:
Can you do a "retard-run" (low INT) in New Vegas?

No, there's no real benefit to such a run at all because the population in the game and the NPCs are generally all of at least average intelligence.

BUT.

The GECK now supports low intellect dialogue options for modding, so it's entire possible for a fan mod (or a future expansion or DLC) to take full advantage of this. :)

Dead

well not really...yet
Zaro said:
The scariest thing in this game is when you're just wandering around and one of your passive companions kills something randomly and you get the whole vats slow-mo treatment for an enemy you didn't even see.
Boooooooooooooooooooooooone!!

Salsa

Zaro said:

by.fuckin.far

jumped a few times

And speaking about retard-runs, does anyone remember that old Something Awful thread about a guy narrating his whole Fallout 2 retard run while staying in character ? that was golden :lol

Dresden

The Boomers are my kind of people. I now have 52 dynamites, 21 frag mines, 16 frag grenades, 70 rockets and 100 .40mm grenade rounds. And two mini-nukes. Legion is fucking going down.

Can you do a "retard-run" (low INT) in New Vegas?
So much for a 10str/10end caveman Zugzug run.

owlbeak

I keep hearing phantom gun shots and it's scaring the piss outta me. I hear distant gunshots sometimes, but I'll be out in a vast expanse and there's no one anywhere! Or I'll be inside a house and hear it. WTF? :O

Salsa

Horsebite said:
I keep hearing phantom gun shots and it's scaring the piss outta me. I hear distant gunshots sometimes, but I'll be out in a vast expanse and there's no one anywhere! Or I'll be inside a house and hear it. WTF? :O

Yeah, figured its wether on purpose or a glitch.

Top Bottom