• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wallach

Dresden said:
The Boomers are my kind of people. I now have 52 dynamites, 21 frag mines, 16 frag grenades, 70 rockets and 100 .40mm grenade rounds. And two mini-nukes. Legion is fucking going down.

I was hoping you'd find them quickly after you were down on your Explosives guy earlier. :lol

Me and the Boomers are like this. My guy is tagged Explosives/Science/Survival. I was like an orphan finding new parents.

Kweh

Even though the PC version uses Steamworks, I noticed the retail box says it's also Games for Windows? How does that work? Does it just show you online in Live, but give you Steam achievements?

The M.O.B

Wild Wasteland spoiler

I just got attacked by 3 random old ladies in bright pink dresses with pin-rollers in hand.

I haven't found too many wild wasteland moments, I believe this was my first one

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kweh said:
Even though the PC version uses Steamworks, I noticed the retail box says it's also Games for Windows? How does that work? Does it just show you online in Live, but give you Steam achievements?

It's not Games for Windows Live, just using the GFW branding.

bomb_jack

What's the level cap in this game? I hope it's not like FO3 where they raise it in DLC.

Also does the game continue when you finish it or is it like FO3 in that sense as well?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The M.O.B said:
Wild Wasteland spoiler

I just got attacked by 3 random old ladies in bright pink dresses with pin-rollers in hand.

I haven't found too many wild wasteland moments, I believe this was my first one

I got that too, it was really the only odd thing that ever happened in my game. I played for 45 hours and that was the only thing that made me think of the Wild West trait. Kind of disappointing even if that particular instance was totally amazing.

bomb_jack said:
What's the level cap in this game? I hope it's not like FO3 where they raise it in DLC.

Also does the game continue when you finish it or is it like FO3 in that sense as well?

Level cap so far is 30 and yeah the game just ends. Youll know too so make a save before hand so you can go back and do whatever if you feel like it. I hope Obsidian comes out with a hefty expansion to continue the game. Theres a lot more I would like to do especially after the ending.

Saw on lens of truth that it's Vsynced and got's a decent framerate this time. Still no AA though which blows considering how well Oblivion turned out waaay back in the day.

I wanna know if it's complete buggy catastrophe like I heared Fallout3: GotY Edition was on PS3?

About 20 hours in and got my first freeze. It's all good because I've gotta get ready for class anyway. Also got my first bug, but it was temporary. I couldn't see my weapon, I thought it wasn't out but when I pulled the trigger it'd shoot I was like wtf. I switched to 3rd person and back and it was back, so very small and quickly fixed.

So all paths to finish the Beyond the Beef quest seemed wrong to me.

Either went too easy on the cannibals (not punishing them at all or helping them if you want) to going too far. (Gunderson wants to block all caravans from New Vegas to starve the whole city)

Best I could come up with is...
Lipservice to Mortimer, making him think I'll get a replacement "meal" for him, setting Ted free, convincing his father not to starve everyone, and paying a visit to Mortimer's back pocket with a stealth boy and some dynamite. Even got good karma (and his snazzy top hat) for 'sploding him. Same goes for Philepe (the chef). Of course to do this I had to sneak into the cashier's room first to get my weapons back.

Not the perfect solution, since from what
Chauncey
said they had other supporters, but I have no way of knowing who.
Though since they're all former cannibals, might decide to wipe them all out eventually.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HadesGigas said:

Either went too easy on the cannibals (not punishing them at all or helping them if you want) to going too far. (Gunderson wants to block all caravans from New Vegas to starve the whole city)

Lipservice to Mortimer, making him think I'll get a replacement "meal" for him, setting Ted free, convincing his father not to starve everyone, and paying a visit to Mortimer's back pocket with a stealth boy and some dynamite. Even got good karma (and his snazzy top hat) for 'sploding him. Same goes for Philepe (the chef). Of course to do this I had to sneak into the cashier's room first to get my weapons back.

Chauncey
Though since they're all former cannibals, might decide to wipe them all out eventually.

I didn't do that quest, but aren't they all good except for the main villain? My impression is that they changed.

firehawk12 said:
I didn't do that quest, but aren't they all good except for the main villain? My impression is that they changed.

No, there's some sort of group that wants to go back to the "old ways".

If you start doing it from the "investigation" method, you eventually meet up with Chauncey and he tells you that some members were holding secret meetings discussing a return to cannibalism. He attended not knowing thats what they'd be about, and was pressured into helping them abduct a woman.

But beyond that I don't know who they are other than the ones I killed. Most of the characters you meet in that place are nameless anyway so nothing much I can do about it.

bomb_jack

HadesGigas said:

Chauncey

This quest is buggy as fuck for me.
I managed to fail it despite setting Ted free and him meeting up with his dad

HadesGigas said:
To get the most morally good ending, you have to
find Philipe in the kitchen, steal the imitation meat recipe off him or kill him for it, cook the imitation meat, call for the head waiter to pick it up, then go up to the banquet room and wait for Mortimer to show up and start his speech. Near the end interrupt him and expose him. You can kill him afterwards if you want as he runs away. When you rescue Ted, tell both Ted and his father that you don't know who was responsible, so they don't swear vengeance.

bomb_jack said:
This quest is buggy as fuck for me.
I managed to fail it despite setting Ted free and him meeting up with his dad
You can fail the quest even if you rescue Ted if you fail to stop Philipe and Mortimer from reintroducing cannibalism to the hotel.

bomb_jack

mjemirzian said:
You can fail the quest even if you rescue Ted if you fail to stop Philipe and Mortimer from reintroducing cannibalism to the hotel.

Everyone ended up dying, that's probably why I failed it.

Ledsen

Horsebite said:
I keep hearing phantom gun shots and it's scaring the piss outta me. I hear distant gunshots sometimes, but I'll be out in a vast expanse and there's no one anywhere! Or I'll be inside a house and hear it. WTF? :O

gunshots echo a looooooong way!

duckroll

mjemirzian said:

I didn't directly address that problem, but I completed the quest. Here's what I did:

- I learned about his son going missing, and I talked to the woman in the dining area to learn about the other recent disappearance.

- I talked to Mortimer and lied that I had crucial information for the investigator, and I went up to his room.

- I killed both guys sent to kill me, and got the lead. I stripped one of the guys who tried to kill me.

- Instead of meeting the lead (it was 5pm, and I didn't want to wait for a whole day), I picked the lock to the cashier, and I sneaked in and pickpocketed the White Glove key without getting noticed. I then put on the White Glove clothing set and made my way into the private area.

- I made my way down into the kitchen, and I talked to the head chef. I used speech to tell him there was a bug in his kitchen or something and he ran in. I then proceeded to lock the kitchen, locking him in.

- I then rescued Ted, and I told him they were going to eat him. Then we escaped and got back to his dad without being caught.

- I told his dad they were all cannibals, and he got really mad, then I used speech to convince him not to starve all of Vegas.

I completed the quest, and for some reason none of the White Glove NPCs are around anymore, and I'm idolized by the faction, and gained fame on the Strip. I'm not sure if it's a bug really, because it makes sense that if I started telling people they were cannibals, maybe the people involved in the quest freaked out and just bailed, leaving the people who weren't involved to run the society. At least that's how I see it.

At no point did I really address the cannibalism suspects directly, nor did I have any real evidence that they were even cannibals. I just felt like giving them a bad name. :lol

owlbeak

Ledsen said:
gunshots echo a looooooong way!
But they sound the same as if I'm in a firefight with some Legion douchebags 10 ft away. :O

On a different note, is anyone else kinda bummed about the Friend of the Night perk? I chose it and while it's pretty cool to be able to see so well at night, it takes some of the fun away I think. I barely ever traveled at night in FO3. I'd always find shelter around sundown and rest or sleep until dawn. With this perk I cruise at all hours. It is useful while inside for sneaking, though.

stupei said:
So I'm going in circles in Repconn:
I got the jailer key but somehow can't figure out where Harland's friend is being kept. I assume she's dead but just want to find her so I can report back. Any tips on figuring out where that door is?

below the catwalk that the guy with the flamethrower patrols (there's a door off the catwalk leading down)

duckroll said:
No, there's no real benefit to such a run at all because the population in the game and the NPCs are generally all of at least average intelligence.

BUT.

The GECK now supports low intellect dialogue options for modding, so it's entire possible for a fan mod (or a future expansion or DLC) to take full advantage of this. :)

Are you sure? According to the Prima Guide you can. They show a screen grab of speech options that are, with high intelligence/speech "I am a scientist", and with low int/speech "I are scientistic".

duckroll

whatevermort said:
Are you sure? According to the Prima Guide you can. They show a screen grab of speech options that are, with high intelligence/speech "I am a scientist", and with low int/speech "I are scientistic".

Oh, no that's not what I meant. The game is filled with skill checks (for many stats and skills, not just intelligence), and you can still pick the dialogue option when you're going to fail it, only it says something different. But that's not beneficial at all, it's just extra flavor/humor when you don't meet the requirements of the dialogue.

When we talk about actually playing a viable low intelligence character, it would be something like Fallout 2, where the game is almost completely different scriptwise if you play a character is very, very low intelligence. Everything you say would be either grunts or caveman talk, and the NPCs in the game all react to that and treat you like a dumb fetch quest simpleton. On the other hand there are characters who also have very low intelligence, and normally they would not be understood at all, but with low intelligence you are actually able to talk to them and communicate in ways smarter people are unable to.

That is what a low intellect run is. :)

jax (old)

Banned
duckroll said:
I didn't directly address that problem, but I completed the quest. Here's what I did:

- I learned about his son going missing, and I talked to the woman in the dining area to learn about the other recent disappearance.

- I talked to Mortimer and lied that I had crucial information for the investigator, and I went up to his room.

- I killed both guys sent to kill me, and got the lead. I stripped one of the guys who tried to kill me.

- Instead of meeting the lead (it was 5pm, and I didn't want to wait for a whole day), I picked the lock to the cashier, and I sneaked in and pickpocketed the White Glove key without getting noticed. I then put on the White Glove clothing set and made my way into the private area.

- I made my way down into the kitchen, and I talked to the head chef. I used speech to tell him there was a bug in his kitchen or something and he ran in. I then proceeded to lock the kitchen, locking him in.

- I then rescued Ted, and I told him they were going to eat him. Then we escaped and got back to his dad without being caught.

- I told his dad they were all cannibals, and he got really mad, then I used speech to convince him not to starve all of Vegas.

I completed the quest, and for some reason none of the White Glove NPCs are around anymore, and I'm idolized by the faction, and gained fame on the Strip. I'm not sure if it's a bug really, because it makes sense that if I started telling people they were cannibals, maybe the people involved in the quest freaked out and just bailed, leaving the people who weren't involved to run the society. At least that's how I see it.

At no point did I really address the cannibalism suspects directly, nor did I have any real evidence that they were even cannibals. I just felt like giving them a bad name. :lol

I completed it too but a couple of key differences
lock picked and entered the kitchen. lost some karma but meh.

speeched the chef into going into the pantry. Medical and or/speech and I was attacking his unresolved childhood issues

druged the wine, they all passed out. I stole shit.

rescued ted, said mortimer was the main culprit. speeched dad out of starving vegas

the end.

I did think afterwards that

I should have had the waiter bring out the fake human meat and then, rescued ted and then show up in the private dining hall with Ted in tow. That will prove to all the creeps that they weren't eating what they think they were. Which was the whole point of what chaucery told you to do. The only thing here is I didn't really think properly in how to do this as its not 100% clear

I think the above ^ if it works, is the perfect way to close the quest.

Weirdest thing happen to me was I exited Helios One into the back yard area only to be greeted by about 4-6 dogs and some molerats :lol: Some of the dogs even had actual names and I was dead in about 2 seconds. When the autosave loaded from when I first exited the door there was absolutely nothing this time around. Very Bizarre.

Also one of my companions if I set him to melee from ranged and then back his gun kinda projects out from his armpit...

But loving the game...

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Playing a grunting meathead will always hold a special place in my heart, I suppose having to voice all the dialog must be a big problem.

duckroll

TimHortons said:
Weirdest thing happen to me was I exited Helios One into the back yard area only to be greeted by about 4-6 dogs and some molerats :lol: Some of the dogs even had actual names and I was dead in about 2 seconds. When the autosave loaded from when I first exited the door there was absolutely nothing this time around. Very Bizarre.

Also one of my companions if I set him to melee from ranged and then back his gun kinda projects out from his armpit...

But loving the game...

The only pack of dogs I can think of would either be a) Gibson's dogs from the Scrapyard (all of them are named, there are like 3-4 of them), or b) Violet's pack of dogs (only one of them is named, but there are a pack of about 6 of them). Since Gibson isn't a hostile character, it doesn't make much sense. But Violet is a Fiend who's much further to the north west, way west of Camp Mccaren. Sounds like an awesome glitch might have somehow spawned them to Helios One. :lol

tiff

Banned
Horsebite said:
On a different note, is anyone else kinda bummed about the Friend of the Night perk? I chose it and while it's pretty cool to be able to see so well at night, it takes some of the fun away I think. I barely ever traveled at night in FO3. I'd always find shelter around sundown and rest or sleep until dawn. With this perk I cruise at all hours. It is useful while inside for sneaking, though.
i have no problem seeing at night even without the perk.

C-Jo

TimHortons said:
I had a similar thing happen to me earlier today. I also exited Helios One into the backyard, and Gibson's dogs were standing there stuttering and glitching out a bit. I turned around and Gibson was sitting on an invisible chair, halfway into the side of the building. :lol

jax (old)

Banned
OH FUCK

i think I might have messed up my game. so I visted
the fort before I met house.

And then I complete House always wins I - and he obliges me to give him the chip

and then I go do House always wins II - and I don't have the chip to upgrade the machine. I can't even talk to the stupid piece of shit to tell him that I'll need to chip to do mission II.

WHATTTT THHEE FUCK?!

what's the work around?!?

*trying to think back to dialogue tree. I meet him, Before I get
House always wins II, he takes the chip then gives me the quest.
Surely, its bugged? If I can't resolve this, I'm going to kill the lot. so much for freedom to play whatever way you want.

* spoiler tagged. - related to the platinum chip.

Wallach

Jax said:
OH FUCK

i think I might have messed up my game. so I visted the fort before I met house.

And then I complete House always wins I - and he obliges me to give him the chip

and then I go do House always wins II - and I don't have the chip to upgrade the machine. I can't even talk to the stupid piece of shit to tell him that I'll need to chip to do mission II.

WHATTTT THHEE FUCK?!

what's the work around?!?

*trying to think back to dialogue tree. I meet him, Before I get House always wins II, he takes the chip then gives me the quest. Surely, its bugged? If I can't resolve this, I'm going to kill the lot.

Mr. House gives you back the chip at the start of The House Always Wins, II with the following warning: "You will likely be searched, and the chip taken from you. Do not worry - it will come back to you." (probably not verbatim, I have a pretty good memory but it's 5:30 AM)

duckroll

So, how did the rest of you decide to deal with Benny? :lol

I talked to him in the casino floor of the Tops, and I speeched him to talk to me one on one in the presidential suite. Then we had a talk, where I told him he sucked at trying to kill me, and he sucked at covering his tracks, showing him the lighter. He never suspected for a moment that Mr House was on to him, and he laid out his entire plan and explained what the chip was. Then I questioned his morality about killing to achieve his goals, and then I agreed with him - murder is indeed the solution. I proceeded to put a few bullets in his brains at point blank range, and unlike me, his head doesn't seem bulletproof. :lol

jax (old)

Banned
yup. quest is busted I think

I just tried this:

a) killed house

b) went to find yes man

c) he said give him the chip

d) I don't know where the fuck it is.

FFFFFUuuuuu. I checked my companions no
chip.
I checked my inventory. No
platinum chip.

:'(

loaded the game all the way back to before I talk and gave away the item

gave him the chip

watched the upgrade demo

that's done back to talk to him

He does NOT give me the chip

ARGHhhhh. fucking game breaking. Only way is to reverse and have to replay at least 4-5 hours.

FUUUuuuuuuu

Wallach

duckroll said:

I talked to him in the casino floor of the Tops, and I speeched him to talk to me one on one in the presidential suite. Then we had a talk, where I told him he sucked at trying to kill me, and he sucked at covering his tracks, showing him the lighter. He never suspected for a moment that Mr House was on to him, and he laid out his entire plan and explained what the chip was. Then I questioned his morality about killing to achieve his goals, and then I agreed with him - murder is indeed the solution. I proceeded to put a few bullets in his brains at point blank range, and unlike me, his head doesn't seem bulletproof. :lol

Similar to my other attempts at "negotiation" - very poor and explodey.

I talked to Swank and showed him all of the evidence I had found of Benny's backdoor dealings: specific brand cigarette butts from the spot where he tried to bury me in Goodsprings, the engraved lighter I pulled out of the ceiling (which was very rudely evacuated from Jessop's pants by a Time Bomb), and the note I peeled off the wall from the same Jessop "incident".

Swank gave me the key to Benny's room to find the "smoking gun" as it were (mind you, my character has like 4 CHA and 15 Speech, so really I only took this opportunity to satisfy my curiousity/wanderlust to see/loot Benny's shit) where I ran into Yes Man. After Yes Man very happily detailed every aspect of Benny's doings (including telling me how I could take Benny's place in this scheme if I could acquire the Platinum Chip), I went back to Swank to fill him in on the details. Hearing that (and the opportunity to become the new Tops boss) he set it up so that Benny would be sent back up to his suite thinking Swank wanted to talk to him.

Instead, I come walking into the room with a 40mm grenade rifle. The exchange was entertaining (paraphrasing):

"Oh shit, it's you... listen..."
"Give me the chip or I'm going to fuck your shit up hard."
"Look, baby, be cool... I can give yo-"
"Give me the chip or you're going to be eating canned shit for dinner."
"LISTEN, JUST RELA-"
*THOOMP THOOMP THOOMP*

My negotiation skills are... not good. To be fair, it was a vast improvement on my last attempts at negotiation:

Me: I need to access that computer behind you so I can send these Nightkin away.
Harland: Nobody's coming through that kill zone while I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere until I find out what happened to my friend.
Me: Oh. Well, which way did she go?
Harland: I'm not sure, somewhere through all those cloaked, pissed-off super mutants.
Me: *THOOMP THOOMP THOOMP*

Jessop: Oh fuck, you're that courier..!
Me: Yeah I am. Fuck you by the way.
Jessop: Listen, I need your help to get out here.
Me: Any chance you'll just surrender?
Jessop: WTF? No.
Me: *inserts Time Bomb into Jessop's pants*

jax (old)

Banned
duckroll said:

if you do that then, you'll miss this:

He escapes, gets captured by the legion and when you next meet him, he's in caesar's room tied up - and you can then choose to save him or kill him. Saving him by giving him a stealthboy and a lockpick gets you attacked by the legion... or you can kill him then. The legion offers you the oppourtunity to kill him via avenues and you can taunt benny

I personally killed all of the legion first, then talked to benny and he was all "you certainly showed them". at which point I shot him to death. He does say "oh, right shoot me while I'm tied up" :lol :lol

amazing how Duckroll, wallach and myself have 3 different experiences with Benny. But then, the game breaking thing I just experienced... GGgrrrrrrr.

GOTY(not!)

KrawlMan

I loved Fallout 3 up until I beat it, and at that point I had absolutely zero interest in continuing trekking around the wasteland. I wanted nothing to do with the DLC, as good as it may have been. My question to those that have put a good chunk of time into New Vegas is, does this game really stand on its own, or does it feel like you are playing some extension of the Fallout 3?

Marvie_3

Banned
duckroll said:
See, unlike all you violent fuckers, I'm a smooth talker. Except even I have my patience! :lol
My guy is loaded with charisma and speech skill, yet I still can't resist splattering someone's brain all over the wall sometimes. :lol

jax (old)

Banned
does anyone from obsidian read GAF? I might send them an email about what I did that broke the game. I might do that anyhow.

unimpressed. I was having fun with it til now. /sad

tiff

Banned
KrawlMan said:
I loved Fallout 3 up until I beat it, and at that point I had absolutely zero interest in continuing trekking around the wasteland. I wanted nothing to do with the DLC, as good as it may have been. My question to those that have put a good chunk of time into New Vegas is, does this game really stand on its own, or does it feel like you are playing some extension of the Fallout 3?
to me it's less of an extension and more of a re-imagining. it feels like i'm playing what Fallout 3 should have been.

Beyond the Beef was weird for me.

At one point, Ted turned invisible. Also, less of a glitch, and more poor quest design: the door to the private banquet room is locked from the outside AND from the inside. I had to drag Ted back through the kitchen to get out.

Wallach

Jax said:
does anyone from obsidian read GAF? I might send them an email about what I did that broke the game. I might do that anyhow.

unimpressed. I was having fun with it til now. /sad

Are you sure it's not in your inventory somewhere? It's not an item you can drop or trade. It's under the MISC category as "The Platinum Chip" (so it will get sorted under T alphabetically).

duckroll said:
See, unlike all you violent fuckers, I'm a smooth talker. Except even I have my patience! :lol
I did the same thing you did except I let him go, then quick saved during his walk to the elevator, cause i suspected something, then sure enough he walks out and 5 seconds later he sends in all his goons. I killed them, then reloaded and bashed Benny's brains in before he could get out.

Top Bottom