• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Dresden

DEADEVIL said:
:lol @ only getting to put 5 hours into the game and now I got to pick up my Fabe 3..will probably have to alternate nights for like 2 months..
Eh, you'll be done with Fable 3 in a week. Then you'll come back to New Vegas.

sdornan

sdornan said:
Holy shit.

I just came across a
cannibal
dude who lives in a cave that mentions once having a drill sergeant named Sgt. Dornan. I had to just stare at the screen for a few seconds after hearing my last name spoken in a video game. I've never come across anyone outside of my family in real-life with the same last name as me, and there are only about a hundred people with the last name on Facebook. Even though it's no doubt a coincidence, still makes me feel like I have a personal connection to this game somehow.

Ah, now I see. It's a reference to a character from Fallout 2, which I never played. :D

Xilium

Well after 3 days of trying various hotfixes and graphics settings, I've finally gotten the game to run in a semi-stable state. It only crashes about every hour and a half now instead of every 10-20 minutes and it no longer brings my whole PC down in the process... This game is such a piece of shit, technically speaking but I'm finding the game/setting more interesting than FO3 (which I didn't finish) so I'm going to try to finish this one.

Havok

I'm a few hours in and have hit kind of an infuriating issue:

I pissed Caesar off by killing those asshole Legion troops that torched Nipton. An hour or so later I'm on my way to Novac and four Legendary Assassins come up to me, initiate combat, then three seconds later, I'm dead. I've tried setting traps, I've tried every weapon I have, I've tried hanging with a caravan to get a few extra gunslingers on my side, but nothing even touches these guys. I turned it down to easy, but 64 stimpaks and 2 dead assassins later, I'm dead again. I'm only level 6, but I don't know any other way to resolve the issue.

Any tips? I'm kind of at a dead end.

Ledsen

I'll post this on a new page so everyone can see it:

PC PEOPLE, THIS MOD FIXES NEARLY ALL THE STUTTER IN THE GAME, DOESN'T REQUIRE A MODIFIED .EXE AND WORKS PERFECTLY WITH STEAM:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35262

This is a description of why the game stutters so horribly, from Guru3D:

guru 3d forums said:
FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!! THE CAUSE OF FRAMESKIPPING - GAME 64HZ ENGINE FLAW

Quote:This Fixes the 64hz bug , it's true what happens. The engine runs at 64HZ/64FPS but the monitor is at 60HZ. So what the game engine does is drop 4frames per second to sync the engine with the graphics card/monitor this is what causes the frame skipping. Only one other game engine does this and thats the one with Doom 3 and Prey !

edit: added this from my post below, for clarity:

Ledsen said:
The mod does two things:

1) 4gb fix
2) stuttering fix

although the description is a little vague. It's like the Stutter Remover+4GB fix. I've tried it and it does indeed fix the stuttering while retaining Steam functionality (unlike the Stutter Remover).

MMaRsu

Darkgran said:
I swear Boone can pick someone off from 2 miles away shooting from the hip.

i just told him to fuck off.. I mean he's been with me for awhile but the game is getting too easy this way. He sees a Bark Scorpion and before I can even unholster my weapon the camera swerves over there like crazy to show his slo mo kill. Fuuuuuck that

Ledsen

NIN90 said:
Will it also fix the stuttering if I have Win32?

dunno. it says:

will run but wont incress the address space

however, the 4gb thing isn't what fixes the stuttering, it's this little part (also from the description):

FNV4GB additionally hooks and replaces the Windows GetTickCount() function that may improve stuttering.

And if that part still works in XP, you're golden. So I'd say try it.

IronRinn

NIN90 said:
Will it also fix the stuttering if I have Win32?

The 4gb Fix looks a lot like the memory utilization tweaks found in the Fallout 3 Tweakguide:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_8.html

It's an excellent source for getting New Vegas running smoothly though it won't help with the micro-stutter problem discussed on Guru3D

Edit:
Ledsen said:
however, the 4gb thing isn't what fixes the stuttering, it's this little part (also from the description):

FNV4GB additionally hooks and replaces the Windows GetTickCount() function that may improve stuttering.

Ah, maybe it does then. Worth a shot.

Vlodril

So i am stuck.

I have to do the Kings Gambit quest. I have used my favor from king (idiot..) and now i have to deal with pacer. It says lace the jet but it doesn't do it. It says find someone pacer hates so you can frame him but i cant seem to talk to him or anything. What can i do?

Ledsen

IronRinn said:
The 4gb Fix looks a lot like the memory utilization tweaks found in the Fallout 3 Tweakguide:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_8.html

It's an excellent source for getting New Vegas running smoothly though it won't help with the micro-stutter problem discussed on Guru3D

Yes it will (see my post above)! The mod does two things:

1) 4gb fix
2) stuttering fix

although the description is a little vague. It's like the Stutter Remover+4GB fix. I've tried it and it does indeed fix the stuttering while retaining Steam functionality (unlike the Stutter Remover).

IronRinn

Ledsen said:
Yes it will (see my post above)! The mod does two things:

1) 4gb fix
2) stuttering fix

Yeah, my mistake. Didn't read fully before posting.

post your temps in Fallout: New Vegas!

fnvtemps.jpg

GTX 460 1GB. first half loaded/second half idle.

Are the companions extra stupid or do they just not listen to the command wheel. The stupid dog keeps running into every group and gets himself killed.

Since I'm playing on hardcore I need to continually reload my game.

Also, did anyone skip parts of the game by wondering around. I seem to have gotten to the strip with ever going to the two other towns from where you start.

I like using first-person cam for kills. That way everything slows down when I kill one dude which leaves me ample time to shoot through anyone else nearby. It's kind of stylish, almost makes me want a FPS in the Fallout universe.

BTW I hate the limit for NPCs joining. I can get one decent character like Boone, Arcade, etc. and one shitball-useless character like EDE or Rex. I just know the modding community is doing something about that and making absurdly over-powered parties that make Deathclaws into extra-large bitches.
Guess I'll start saving for a PC. I want a new TV too though. sucks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
darkjedi187 said:
Are the companions extra stupid or do they just not listen to the command wheel. The stupid dog keeps running into every group and gets himself killed.

Since I'm playing on hardcore I need to continually reload my game.

Also, did anyone skip parts of the game by wondering around. I seem to have gotten to the strip with ever going to the two other towns from where you start.

The King warns you that the dog doesn't listen and will attack certain people unconditionally (including people who wear hats).

I'm tempted to hit up the Strip again and sneak-attack a stripper for her pasty-outfit...
It's going to suck for my melee character but hey whatever.

Arde5643

God, this game is so fucking addictive and so fucking good.

In a lot of ways, the pacing, characterization, humor, and atmosphere really reminds me of Fallout 2. :D

I love how this game is more of the spiritual successor to FO2 in terms of gameplay and pacing than FO3 (never finished it - too Oblivion for my taste).

Llyranor

Finally got the game. CE. The comic is pretty neat. Seems to provide some background story to the intro. Didn't finish it yet.

Played about 2 hrs, med/high-ish settings, ATI card (which one? I forget). No noticeable bugs, good framerate and fast loading. No technical issues so far, fingers crossed!

Combat isn't as terrible as I'd imagine. Ironsights help, I suppose. VATS is ok.

I'm not far enough for Hardcore to have made much of a difference yet re: food/water/sleep, but inventory management is making me having to throw away items I would have otherwise hoarded. I only have 5 Str :(

Exploration has been enjoyable.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just read that New Vegas has sold 1/3 more than the debut sales of Fallout 3. Good stuff.

edit: Fallout 3 did 4.7 million in the first week. That means an additional 30% sales would mean New Vegas massed 6.1 million sales so far. Thats much higher than i thought it would sell.

firehawk12 said:
The King warns you that the dog doesn't listen and will attack certain people unconditionally (including people who wear hats).
It's not just the dog though. I can't take any of my companions into Vaults or anything like that. I was in a vault last night and Cass literally ran down 2 flights of stairs to fight ghouls 2 floors below where I was at. I couldn't see them, had no idea they were there at all, but she did and she got herself killed. Companions are really annoying like that, even if you tell them to not be aggressive, they still are. I have been rolling solo lately, as I am getting really annoyed having to babysit these dumbasses.

Arde5643

Darkshier said:
It's not just the dog though. I can't take any of my companions into Vaults or anything like that. I was in a vault last night and Cass literally ran down 2 flights of stairs to fight ghouls 2 floors below where I was at. I couldn't see them, had no idea they were there at all, but she did and she got herself killed. Companions are really annoying like that, even if you tell them to not be aggressive, they still are. I have been rolling solo lately, as I am getting really annoyed having to babysit these dumbasses.
Did you set her tactics to be passive or anything? Or have her stay back from me instead of close to you?

neoism

Got to tell you I reeeallly like Boone. I 99% of the time never use companions, but they are awesome in this game. 30 hours in and I've only done 5 quest... :lol <3

Arde5643 said:
Did you set her tactics to be passive or anything? Or have her stay back from me instead of close to you?
Of course. I have even told her to "wait here" and if there is a ghoul in sight, she will go into combat mode and not come out of it until all enemies are dead. She will go hunt ghouls down that are behind doors that haven't even been opened yet. ED-E was doing the same thing, so I ended up just getting rid of both of them. If I tell my companion to stay close and behind me, they should do exactly that.

no problems with this game for the first 10 hours or so.

Now it's constantly freezing up on me. PS3 version.
Reminds me of Fallout 3 after installing all the fucking DLC.

Fix this shit, Bethesda/Obsidian. -_-

Shit, I failed "Render unto Caesar" by helping out the NCR.

Did I miss out on much? My response was pretty much "Well, fuck Caesar up his ass anyway."

darkjedi187 said:
Is there a list of all the companions and how to get them and how do you send them back to the hotel?
I think cheats.cc has a list. However the wiki is just way better. Just go look that sucker up. I personally bought the guide off Steam and so glad I did sometimes.

vas_a_morir said:

Did I miss out on much? My response was pretty much "Well, fuck Caesar up his ass anyway."
Not sure I failed as well.
I failed it by killing the Legion boatman at cottonwood cove. After I visited Caesar and especially after the way he talked to me, I wasn't going to let his bitch boatman live. So I did fail it, but I also gained a quest, that doesn't appear in my quest log. I don't even remember the name of it when it popped up on-screen though. Caesar is next on my list that pompous son of a bitch, he thinks he top shit. Just wait til he get a load of me (and my magnum buckshots)

jax (old)

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
1up finally reviews New Vegas.

Took them long enough.

1up - B

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3182065

I single these fans out because they're willing to forgive silly bugs like meeting characters who walk into walls or occasionally float in mid-air. These fans (like me) realize that the game as a whole is greater than the sum of minor graphical anomalies.

On the other hand, I simply can't ignore or forgive the game for crashing on me when I walk around the Mojave Wasteland; or for quests that simply can't be completed because of a game glitch; or for making my companions disappear when I need them the most during a battle. These are some of the most frustrating bugs I have ever encountered with any game, especially when attached to a series that I deeply enjoy.

The fact that he starts off with this...

anyhow. The score is a B and I wonder if that is tempered by the debacle. 1up already had issues with ubisoft in the past (I think its ubisoft)... dan hsued. Anyhow, Because I had a game breaking bug.

Game score is max 65/100 for me.

Massa

Jax said:
The fact that he starts off with this...

anyhow. The score is a B and I wonder if that is tempered by the debacle. 1up already had issues with ubisoft in the past (I think its ubisoft)... dan hsued. Anyhow, Because I had a game breaking bug.

Game score is max 65/100 for me.

It's a two page review, by the way.

If only it was a stable product and didn't ship with so many bugs, I would've given New Vegas a higher score. As it is, this review reflects the game shortly after launch. Future patches will no doubt fix a number of issues, but these problems shouldn't keep you from trying the game out...eventually. If you do start playing now, you know what to expect, but despite all of the bugs and tech issues, I still loved my experience in New Vegas.

Nose Master

miladesn said:
Is there another way to disarm explosive collars on those
slaves in the Legion outpost
? I don't have the required explosive skill.

Also How can you get into Camp Searchlight?

If you're not hostile with
Legion, you can just offer to buy the slaves off them. He gives you a key when you do, so I imagine you could get it by murdering his shit, as well.

Not sure what you mean by Camp Searchlight, I just walked up to it. If you mean the
fire and police station, there's a hatch in the church with some dudes in it that'll start a quest that lets you loot those areas.

Arde5643

1up said:
If only it was a stable product and didn't ship with so many bugs, I would've given New Vegas a higher score. As it is, this review reflects the game shortly after launch. Future patches will no doubt fix a number of issues, but these problems shouldn't keep you from trying the game out...eventually. If you do start playing now, you know what to expect, but despite all of the bugs and tech issues, I still loved my experience in New Vegas.

Hahahhahaaha, this game definitely is the true spiritual successor to Fallout 2.

Anyone remember playing FO2 the first time when it came out? :lol

I had an NPC bug out on me earlier. I wandered up a mountain and into a cave where I met some dude lying on the ground. He was going on about all of his squadmates getting killed and I gave him a doctor's bag for his leg and led him back because he wanted to get the fuck out. Thing is I must have triggered a glitch through the speech check I won and when I led him to the exit he thanked me, gave me some okay stuff(including my first schematic..only took 30+ hours), and then turned around and headed straight for the bad-guys at the bottom. I did my best to protect him but no luck, he got whooped.

Nothing serious at least but it was funny seeing some dude all "I gotta get out of here!" turn around and go head-first into the monsters.

Oh and some people I rescued way way way out in
Legion Country turned up at Fort Mormon
. I thought that was a nice touch, I guess they hit the fast travel when I wasn't looking cause no way a couple of unarmed people are getting that far...maybe they looted some corpses for guns and stuff. There were no shortage of those where I was chilling.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
vas_a_morir said:

Naw, you're at the point where you are doing faction-specific quests now.

Top Bottom