• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Clott said:
I have lost the will to keep playing this game, I have lost my save files now 3 times, they keep being overwritten by the first 3 that I made. I don't know what to do, I have been thinking of asking for my money back from valve, but I doubt that works.

what to do, what to do.
i thought Valve disabled Steamcloud stuff?

Wallach

Clott said:
I have lost the will to keep playing this game, I have lost my save files now 3 times, they keep being overwritten by the first 3 that I made. I don't know what to do, I have been thinking of asking for my money back from valve, but I doubt that works.

what to do, what to do.

That was supposedly fixed in the patch. Are you running in offline mode or maybe have automatic updates for your games turned off and don't have the latest version?

Clott

I have the latest version, I have never tinkered with the online/offline stuff.

this basically makes the game unplayable for me, a bug or glitch is no problem I usually quick save every 5 minutes anyway, but when the back up system to those bugs dose not even work, then the game is just one huger failure. I even went into steam and deleted those 3 saves and set the folder to read only so steam can't use those saves anymore.

but I just don't have the will power to make up for the time lost in the game. I wonder, how much time has someone else lost in this game and still had the fuel to make up all the game play time?

Maybe I will give it a few days and give the game another run...but I kinda want my money back to be honest.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Clott said:
I have the latest version, I have never tinkered with the online/offline stuff.
Well there you go.

Its also possible to recover your saves. They might be there in backup form.

"How Can I Recover My Saved Data From QuickSave / AutoSave / Etc?"

1. Locate the save files folder -- My Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Saves
2. Find files that have a *.bak extension. If you cannot see extensions, enable them through these steps.
3. Rename the files with a .bak extension to something without the .bak extension (i.e. "autosave.fos.bak" to "autosave.fos" and then rename your old "autosave.fos" to autosave_old.fos", as they .bak may have your newer data).

Jintor

Does anybody know what the Lucky 38 House Executive Overrides do? I've been activating them on a variety of computers around Vegas, but I have no clue what they're actually doing. They've turned up on the most random of consoles... one in Camp Golf, one in the Vegas Steelworks, one in the Tool Factory...

duckroll

Wow. I just finished Veronica's companion quest. Errrr..... erm..... I'm really mad right now. The next time I turn the game on, the Brotherhood might not be around anymore if I can't control myself. :(

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Clott said:
well well well wendi, you have recovered my save. why thank you!
No problem. Glad it worked :lol

Did a little more digging and supposedly you can find all the games that Steam synchronization has overwritten by going to userdata/<your user number>/22380/remote in your Steam folder.

Is Boone's level of companion interaction indicative of the other companions or is it just Boone being the strong silent type? I've come across other far more chatty companions and I'm wondering if they interject themselves into your situations more often than Boone?

Wow, now I understand the complaints about Boone. This is some broken bullshit. Doesn't help that the game kind of expects you to use him because the HELIOS one mission was pretty rough without him. Bad game design!

Almak

Vault 34 is fucked up! Is there anything in that
overstocked armory
even remotely worth having for me to go through with getting there?

markot

Banned
SenorDingDong said:
Is Boone's level of companion interaction indicative of the other companions or is it just Boone being the strong silent type? I've come across other far more chatty companions and I'm wondering if they interject themselves into your situations more often than Boone?
He is the silent type, you can push for more out of him as you progress though.

daoster

schennmu said:
Wow, now I understand the complaints about Boone. This is some broken bullshit. Doesn't help that the game kind of expects you to use him because the HELIOS one mission was pretty rough without him. Bad game design!

First time around, I didn't even know who Boone was. The Helios area is definitely doable without him.

joelseph said:
How do you add caravan cards that you purchase to your deck? I have bought all the ones I come across yet when I start Caravan it always shows my deck at 54 cards?
The cards are glitched atm. There is no way of adding them to your deck.

EDIT: I just read that relooting them might work. Put your cards in a safe or something, and take them again. It's supposed to work.

Baha

SenorDingDong said:

Want him to start talking? Go on a Caesar Legion killing spree.

markot said:
He is the silent type, you can push for more out of him as you progress though.

I guess I might as well ditch him then. Now it's just a matter of deciding who his replacement is out of
Arcade, Cass or Veronica

Baha said:
Want him to start talking? Go on a Caesar Legion killing spree.

I actually did that. After finishing Booted unnoticed courtesy of a stealth boy, I stumbled back across the camp with Boone on hand. Naturally Legion heads started exploding well before I was in range, before moving onto a passing by Legion patrol. Still, nothing at all.

But I think I was a little vague in my initial question. I was wondering if any of the companions level of interaction reflect that of other obsidian games we've seen in the past. Or are they, as I've experience with Boone completely limited to interactions initiated by you revolving around their specific side quests?

daoster said:
First time around, I didn't even know who Boone was. The Helios area is definitely doable without him.

Yep, it's doable and I will continue without him. I've seen a video of the area with his support and he pretty much one shot kills the robots (even the turrets). It's ridiculous

schennmu said:
Err.. the game doesn't expect you to use Boone or any one companion. I'd rather take Lily for her 10% stealth crit bonus and higher durability. Boone is a wimp compared to the Courier armed with the unique sniper rifle and super sledge variants and a ton of perks.

duckroll

Well, I couldn't let it rest. I went ahead and did it. I don't feel much better, but they had it coming! :(

Wiping out of the Brotherhood of Steel:

I went back to the Lucky 38, and told both ED-E and Veronica to stay. I didn't want to take anyone else with me either. This was going to be a personal mission. I went back to Hidden Valley, and as I enter the bunker, I'm greeted by a nice female Scribe. She wanted me to know that they were "grateful" for my recent actions (haha, motherfuckers, helping one jerk to overthrow another jerk? I don't give a fuck!) and that they'll be giving me recycled energy cells or whatever in a blahbalh footlocker blah something. I was so filled with rage I honestly didn't hear what she was saying really.

I went into L2, and as expected McNamura and Hardin are preparing to fight each other for power using protocol and whatever bullshit these cocksucking fuckfaces seem to value over human decency. No matter. I just sneak behind both of them and steal their passcodes. I stole a supersledge too. It looked useful! I then head over to the Head Scribe (fucking jerk won't even talk to me. asshole never respected before, but he'll probably regret that after this!) and stole his passcode too. Then I proceeded to arm the self destruct sequence. I started having second thoughts. So many innocent people here. Not all of them are bad. I even sat in during one of their lessons earlier and many of the apprentices seemed happy and OH WHATEVER. THEY WILL NEVER CHANGE. FUCKING COCKSUCKERS KILLED INNOCENT FOLLOWERS OF THE APOCALYPSE DOCTORS AND RUINED THE CHANCE I HAD TO BECOME HAPPY FOLLOWERS WITH VERONICA AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. MOTHERFUCKERS.

I hit the button. Ran out. And just as I was leaving the bunker, I see the nice girl who greeted me with the good news of sharing supplies with me. She was running right back into the bunker. I wish I could have warned her, but it was all too late now. I leave the bunker and BOOM. I go back inside and unlock the door using the key just to make sure that all I was looking at was rumble with no signs of any survivors or any remnants of this fucking worthless dogshit community. The Mojave is better off without these cocksucking terrorists. >_<

Then I put my hands to my face and cried. T_T

duckroll

The funniest part is, for wiping out the entire faction, my reputation with them only went from Accepted (or was it Liked) to Merciful Thug. That reputation title is somewhat... ironic. :lol

Haunted

TimHortons said:
6skLC.jpg
:lol Yes!

duckroll said:
Well, I couldn't let it rest. I went ahead and did it. I don't feel much better, but they had it coming! :(
Well.. you could get the 95 speech check, right?
Nice job blowing up the base, though. I went through the base killing everybody then detonated it after for good measure.

Just started a new game to mess around with the powder gangers.
First I started the Ghost Town Gunfight quest, then ran to the NCRCF and picked up I Fought The Law. It's very annoying running around near the NCRCF and Primm because even though the gangers inside the NCRCF gangers aren't aggressive, the ones in Primm and on the roads are, so you kind of have to run past them as killing them will turn the NCRCF gangers against you. I didn't put on a powder ganger uniform because that would just aggro nearby NCR troops. I finished I Fought The Law by betraying the powder gangers and raiding the prison. The game gives you like 7 NCR troops and they can easily wipe the prison without even having to participate. Finally went back to Goodsprings, stealth murdered Cobb as he was leaning against the wall, then finished off Ghost Town Gunfight by fending off the ganger attack (minus Cobb, who was quite dead at the time). Through this method I finished both Ghost Town Gunfight and I Fought The Law in the same playthrough.

Is it just me, or are Energy Weapons really useless in this game? A Sniper Rifle equipped with AP rounds can make quick work of a Deathclaw or Super Mutant Master, but a Gauss Rifle has a lot more trouble with it.

Laser Rifle's like a gun that shoots bugbites, heck, even the Plasma Rifle ain't what she used to be. :(

duckroll

mjemirzian said:
Well.. you could get the 95 speech check, right?
Nice job blowing up the base, though. I went through the base killing everybody then detonated it after for good measure.

That's only for the first time they harass Veronica. When you actually want to help her join the Followers of the Apocalypse at the Outhouse, you have to wait a day before returning, then you find that the Brotherhood killed everyone there because Veronica tried to sell them out. I used Terrifying Presence on them then, and they all went into flee mode, and I slaughtered them all.

Going back to the bunker was revenge for them killing Followers. I love the Followers of the Apocalypse. Motherfucking cocksucking Paladins!

Now I know exactly how Tom Anderson felt. :(

Jintor

Goddamnit I've lost Arcade somewhere in the wastes. Looked behind me once to find he'd just upped and disappeared.

This game really needs to let me implant tracking devices into my companion's heads.

duckroll said:
That's only for the first time they harass Veronica. When you actually want to help her join the Followers of the Apocalypse at the Outhouse, you have to wait a day before returning, then you find that the Brotherhood killed everyone there because Veronica tried to sell them out. I used Terrifying Presence on them then, and they all went into flee mode, and I slaughtered them all.

Going back to the bunker was revenge for them killing Followers. I love the Followers of the Apocalypse. Motherfucking cocksucking Paladins!

Now I know exactly how Tom Anderson felt. :(

Yeah, that's why I wiped them out. Although it does seem pretty unlikely plot-wise that the brotherhood would go to such an extreme to 'hide their identity'.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
mjemirzian said:
Yeah, that's why I wiped them out. Although it does seem pretty unlikely plot-wise that the brotherhood would go to such an extreme to 'hide their identity'.
Sounds like something the Brotherhood would do.

duckroll

mjemirzian said:

That wasn't why they did it.

They didn't kill the Followers to cover anything up. They killed the Followers as a direct message to Veronica that for trying to leave them, they will kill the people she wants to join. That's why I wiped them out, because they're a bunch of fucking assholes.

JoeBoy101

Blue Ninja said:
Is it just me, or are Energy Weapons really useless in this game? A Sniper Rifle equipped with AP rounds can make quick work of a Deathclaw or Super Mutant Master, but a Gauss Rifle has a lot more trouble with it.

Laser Rifle's like a gun that shoots bugbites, heck, even the Plasma Rifle ain't what she used to be. :(

But energy weapons tend to have more mods from what I have seen, and some of those mods can be sick. My current laser rifle has a scope, +3 damage, and +30% damage on it. Its nish.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So is there a way to load a game from several autosave poitns before or is there only the one?

I was doing the Helios activation and accidentally armed the Archimedes weapon, I disarmed it, but the NCR people outside all shoot at me now.

JoeBoy101 said:
But energy weapons tend to have more mods from what I have seen, and some of those mods can be sick. My current laser rifle has a scope, +3 damage, and +30% damage on it. Its nish.
Hmm, strange. Might have to look into that.

Fact is, the way most Energy Weapons use the same kind of ammo is a huge bonus to me, as it means I can sell my other ammo. They just seem so weak to me in this game.

JoeBoy101

Blue Ninja said:
Hmm, strange. Might have to look into that.

Fact is, the way most Energy Weapons use the same kind of ammo is a huge bonus to me, as it means I can sell my other ammo. They just seem so weak to me in this game.

Its easier to recycle energy ammo too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging on my trusty Cowboy Repeater, but energy weapons have their place too, methinks.

graywolf323

revolverjgw said:
Vault 11 spoiler, I do not understand what just happened

During the battle in the sacrificial chamber, I was stylin' all over all those wimpy robots, and suddenly I got the message that I had failed "The House Always Wins Part II"...

...wha? What does that mission, and Mr. House, even have to do with this "side story"? I failed it for winning a fight on the other side of the map?

apparently there's a glitch that somehow two of the turrets are associated with Mr House's faction, hopefully they'll patch that soon

JoeBoy101 said:
Its easier to recycle energy ammo too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging on my trusty Cowboy Repeater, but energy weapons have their place too, methinks.
So far, I haven't found it.
The Muties on the ledge near Black Mountain completely raped me while I was sporting Energy Weapons, because I just couldn't damage them. At all. While I still got raped there while I was sporting regular Guns, I at least managed to take a few of them out with AP rounds. :p

So after finishing New Vegas last night for the first time I wanted to write up some impressions.

This game reacts to your decisions like no other. Wall of Spoilers AHOY!
For example, I decided to Kill Caesar before doing any of the main questline.

I took Boone over to his fort and proceeded to destroy everyone there. Fighting Caesar and his Praetorian guards was no joke. I ended up having to use their own Ballistic Fists against them. I gave one to Boone as well and we proceeded to have the meanest boxing match ever. Caesar eventually went down after some cheesing by me (staying next to boone and healing him with his instant use stimpacks so he wouldn't die and continue punching the shit out of everything. Caesar died and I helped myself to all the loot around his fort. I talked to Boone and he even had some unique dialogue about how we just rolled Caesar, I was really happy to see him react to that. Also NPC's started saying things like "Thats the guy who killed Caesar!" Along with other named NPC's having actual dialogue options regarding Caesars death. Even Mr. House recognized it.

Speaking of House, his ass didn't win. WILDCARD BITCHES! I ended up doing Houses dirty work, even going so far as to blow up the Brotherhood of Steel's bunker (even though I was a BoS member with Power Armor training....) but that is what they get for slapping an explosive slave collar on my neck the first time we met, treat people better next time assholes.

After the BoS incident, I went back to House to finally ice the fink and take New Vegas as my own. I found him in his little wannabe vita-chamber, all shriveled and old. I killed him outright. Not something I wanted to do, but he had been using me to do his dirty work and I had had enough. I had already iced Benny earlier, so it was time to see Yes Man and get this show on the road.

The attack on Hoover Dam was pretty awesome. Could have been better, but hey Gamebryo sucks ass and holds this game back, whatever. Having the Khans suicide rush the Legion, while the Boomers were dropping bombs from their newly acquired Bomber, securitrons helping out and some NCR troopers as well, the legion fell hard. They really stood no chance.

Finally, it was time to see what Legate was all about. He is one scary looking mother fucker, no doubt. But that is all show as far as I am concerned. Caesar fell, so will this asshole. I talked to him for a bit, tried to intimidate him a little bit. I had enough and it was time to settle the Legion's Hash once and for all. I had been waiting for this fight. I pumped myself so full of every Chem available and used any magazine I thought would help. I ended up taking NO damage I was so chemed up and was 2 shotting the praetorian guards with my ballistic fist. Legate himself fell in about 4 blows. I took his mask of course.

Now Gen. Oliver arrived and wanted to claim Hoover for the NCR. Not so fast asshole. New Vegas is mine and mine alone. I kicked his NCR loving ass out and reclaimed the Strip for myself. Independent New Vegas is the only way to go, ya dig?

The ending itself was awesome and really reflected on my choices throughout the game, even some I didn't think would ever show up again. I was happy with all the choices I made except poor Rex. I should have given him a better, less violent brain. Sad to see Boone die though, I guess that's what was coming to him though.

All in all, this is my GOTY and one of (if not) my favorite RPG of all time. The amount of choice you are given to tackle situations is unparalleled.

Dresden

Dilly said:
After 6 hours all my weapons are still stock.

I have no idea where to find everything I need to make upgrades.
They're just off random weapon vendors. Check the Misc. section. Gun Runners always has a couple.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Got the Anti-Material Rifle and Death Claws are sort of my bitch now... as long as they're a couple of hundred yards away. Kind of annoying how they eat through Power Armor like its made of leather. But on the flip its sort of cool that I've still got an enemy to fear even when I'm powering over everyone else.

Ricker

So no one got the Morales retrieve his body quest and know where to go when you drag him around? i`ll try fast travel while he is hooked on me but I doubt that will work hehe...I just left him at a place I will remember for now,I hope he doesn`t get eat up by something by then :lol

duckroll

schennmu said:
The difficulty spike in the Helios mission kind of made me think that it does.

There was a difficulty spike in Helios? Compared to what? I didn't notice anything, that's for sure. The important thing to note is that everyone more or less plays the game in a different way and visits locations and tackles quests in very different orders. So there's almost always something which would seem unusually harder if you approach it at a given point in a game.

Ricker said:
So no one got the Morales retrieve his body quest and know where to go when you drag him around? i`ll try fast travel while he is hooked on me but I doubt that will work hehe...I just left him at a place I will remember for now,I hope he doesn`t get eat up by something by then :lol

You just need to drag his body from the place you originally got it northwards, moving towards Camp Mccaren. After a short distance somewhere after you go down a slope into the wilderness there are a few NCR troops there who will talk to you automatically if you have the body and tell you that they'll handle it from there.

Ricker said:
You have to drag his body over to the NCR troopers that are close by, right across the train tracks.

Should I use a high speech character for my first playthrough? They generally seem to be the best so I want the most balanced and enjoyable experience. Maybe Guns, Repair, and Speech?

Just got this game for the 360 last night and holy shit is it good. As much as I loved fallout 3 so far I am enjoying the beginning of new vegas much more. Awesome stuff so far.

graywolf323

Ricker said:

I have no idea either, I thought it wanted me to take him back to the camp but once I entered the building his body completely vanished :lol

also no if you fast travel it just drops his body wherever you were before you fast traveled

since it's not a quest the strategy guide doesn't say where to take him, they bury the free quests in the back where it also tells you all the locations, probably my one complaint about this massive guide is that they should have just given the free quests their own section

Top Bottom