• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Jax said:
game needed a inventory thing where you can look at the item you picked up. I wish I could have done a close up look of the snow globes. :/

Fallout Shenmue? Actually, it would be nice if I could have a little kitten or something in my suite.

Vault 34 is such an annoying piece of shit. The radiations goes "crecreiciericreicrie", the fucking ghouls i should be able to fucking kill if only they showed themselves but stay mysteriously hidden probably glitching the fuck out inside a wall go "BBOOAARHGBOOAARGH", the busted fucking door goes "CCLLUUNG.... CCLLUUUNNNG", all my fucking companions do is block the exit of any room i wanna get out off, i can't tell a room from another, i wanna find that OTHER flooded area, but i'm just running around in fucking circles and i'm going fucking insssanananewnnenenenklrwknl'ghwh

I'm saddened that I am near the end of the game. Next game, I am going to take the indy route.

Also, did anybody else find
Mr. House's shriveled body
freaky as hell?

Portugeezer

QUICK QUESTION.

Please answer:
When I gain a level, I get the skill points.
However sometimes it doesn't give me the option for the perks (is that what they're called), for example the option which lets you cannibalise people for health, etc.

Is this normal. I can't remember how it was in Fallout 3, but I thought it should come up each time I level up.

Vlodril

Vault 34 is such an annoying piece of shit. The radiations goes "crecreiciericreicrie", the fucking ghouls i should be able to fucking kill if only they showed themselves but stay mysteriously hidden probably glitching the fuck out inside a wall go "BBOOAARHGBOOAARGH", the busted fucking door goes "CCLLUUNG.... CCLLUUUNNNG", all my fucking companions do is block the exit of any room i wanna get out off, i can't tell a room from another, i wanna find that OTHER flooded area, but i'm just running around in fucking circles and i'm going fucking insssanananewnnenenenklrwknl'ghwh

Hahaha indeed. Worst part of an otherwise quite brilliant game. I got lost for about an hour in there, managed to do everything and when i was about to try to find my way out , i was out of rad-x and rad away and i died. FUCK. Loaded out of the vault , gave it the finger and departed.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
EuropeOG said:
QUICK QUESTION.

Please answer:
However sometimes it doesn't give me the option for the perks (is that what they're called), for example the option which lets you cannibalise people for health, etc.

Is this normal. I can't remember how it was in Fallout 3, but I thought it should come up each time I level up.

Perks are every other level this time around.

Jubbly

EuropeOG said:
QUICK QUESTION.

Please answer:

Perks are every two levels. Thirty levels in total.

avcables

Banned
Darkshier said:
Wow. Good thing to know, hacking is going to be a breeze now.

Another thing I will admit to, I didn't know about the pip-boy flashlight until about 25 hours into the game, when I finally read about it here on GAF. So many places I had to turn up the brightness on the game and my TV........
Or just pick the first two answers and then back out, go back in and repeat. You'll get the answer in two or three tries.

Jeramii

Banned
anyone know of a good locations map i can refer to online. i've wandered around for hours trying to find good new locations. only having a little luck.

tiff

Banned
BeeDog said:
Damn, this game feels like such an improvement over Fallout 3 in most areas. Except for one; the world design. I think the Fallout 3 game world was much more interesting. Too bad New Vegas had to be set in the Mojave desert. :p
really? i'm the total opposite. i thought FO3's world was boring, but i'm really digging the Mojave. it feels a lot more open and natural.

in fact, i might go so far as to say it's the biggest improvement.

water_wendi said:
It seems like DarNified UI is almost ready. You can check progress here.
How about a UI mod that lets you change some of the clunkily designed button mapping in the barter/trade menu? Or maybe a mod so I can alt tab out of the game without it autopausing.

Just to let people know to be weary of using any sort of mods/esp's with this game. I continue to have problems with save files crashing my game because I've loaded a previous save and overwrote. I suppose at this point I should make a totally separate game to test.

daoster

So...um...I think I told Arcade to "Wait Here" somewhere and I've seen to have lost the bugger....is there a console code that would make him re-appear?

Ledsen

Played a while today and yesterday, currently at Primm. Have to say, as high as my expectations were, the beginning has been pretty terrible. The missions have been generic, the characters are bland and uninteresting and the environments and locations look like shit and have nothing interesting in them. As crappy writers as Bethesda have, they know their world design. Vault 101 was pretty nice and Megaton was a really cool and unique place, which made for a great start-off point for the game. By all the praise in this thread I'm guessing it gets A LOT better, or was that RockPaperShotgun guy right?

Ducarmel

dammit

I was doing veronica's mission and activated the helios one weapon how do i disarm it? I don't want to reload because I stupidly quick saved after activating it and my last real save was 2 hours ago

Ventrue

Ledsen said:
Played a while today and yesterday, currently at Primm. Have to say, as high as my expectations were, the beginning has been pretty terrible. The missions have been generic, the characters are bland and uninteresting and the environments and locations look like shit and have nothing interesting in them. As crappy writers as Bethesda have, they know their world design. Vault 101 was pretty nice and Megaton was a really cool and unique place, which made for a great start-off point for the game. By all the praise in this thread I'm guessing it gets A LOT better, or was that RockPaperShotgun guy right?

I found that the early game was fairly bland, but I really liked it by the end.

MrMephistoX

Ledsen said:

It's kinda bland but deliberately so. The build up is finally reaching Vegas + you can't complain about an opening with Col. Tye.

avcables

Banned
Ledsen said:
The beginning isn't the greatest but the world spans out into one of the most visually and environmentally impressive additions to the series. Every few minutes of walking is something new to do, new NPCs (with 90% great voice acting, some of the most compelling stuff you'll hear as a matter of fact, like Chief Hanlon...still amazed by that bit), tons of great loot, excellent combat, wonderful skill choices, even better dialogue options...it blows up out of the gate.

Don't get discouraged.

Xanathus

revolverjgw said:
I sent Rex back to Lucky 38. When I went back to get him, of course he wasn't there. What can I do?
Check the King's place. There's a bug where Rex goes there instead of 38, but he'll immediately start running to 38 the moment you enter King's.

Ricker

Damn at Vault 3,around level 12-13....if it wasn`t for Boone I would of probably died in the first room in there hehe,but I love a place like this where you have to be careful,you look in every corner and open every dresser and what not in hope to find stimpaks or something that will help you out,this is why I loved Fallout 3 and this one is even better so far.

Timber

Ledsen said:
the RPS review is thoroughly awful and was written it seems mainly for pageviews, but i agree that when it comes to world building, F3 has the edge over Vegas. there's no cool architectural madness like a town built on a crumbling highway overpass, and Vegas itself isn't nearly as impressive in displaying large-scale destruction and decay as DC. but i'm still very fond of some of the locations in NV, some of the game's quests are among the best quests i've played, period.

also, having played the game for about 20 hours now it seems strange to me that someone could see giant gaps in quality between the two games. that's not directed at you but just a general observation.

I was getting annoyed with lockpicking so I downloaded a mod that makes force lock 100% as long as you meet the criteria to unlock it. It was fairly easy with a 360 controller but it just feels so weird with a keyboard and mouse.

Dresden

Ricker said:
Damn at Vault 3,around level 12-13....if it wasn`t for Boone I would of probably died in the first room in there hehe,but I love a place like this where you have to be careful,you look in every corner and open every dresser and what not in hope to find stimpaks or something that will help you out,this is why I loved Fallout 3 and this one is even better so far.
I took Arcade in there and he, still in his lab coat with his Plasma Defender, would take out most of the enemies before I could even get there with my chainsaw. Went from level 11 to 12 just from killing everyone in that place. <3 dead fiends.

Ledsen

AgentOtaku said:
That Stutter fix Batch file actually fucking works!

NO MORE iFPSClamp!

Wonder if there's anyway to get it to work with Fallout 3???

Fallout 3 already has Fallout 3 Script Extender (as does Oblivion and soon New Vegas) so you can just use the Fallout 3 Stutter Remover (requires the Script Extender) which is a lot more powerful than this 4gb/stutter fix we currently have for NV.

Timber said:
the RPS review is thoroughly awful and was written it seems mainly for pageviews, but i agree that when it comes to world building, F3 has the edge over Vegas. there's no cool architectural madness like a town built on a crumbling highway overpass, and Vegas itself isn't nearly as impressive in displaying large-scale destruction and decay as DC. but i'm still very fond of some of the locations in NV, some of the game's quests are among the best quests i've played, period.

also, having played the game for about 20 hours now it seems strange to me that someone could see giant gaps in quality between the two games. that's not directed at you but just a general observation.

That's pretty discouraging. Exploration is the main driver for me in these kinds of games, and the reason why I love the genre. Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, GTA4, etc, these games all have amazingly good looking worlds that made me want to explore every nook and cranny just to see a cool new environmental feature or enjoy a beautiful view.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ledsen said:

Vault 101 was terrible....

Ledsen

_tetsuo_ said:
Vault 101 was terrible....

why? the writing was terrible, but the premise and the place itself was a good way to set up the rest of the game and build up anticipation for the wasteland reveal.

jax (old)

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
:lol

I'm kinda surprised by the number of people who've misuderstood hacking. GAF is full of reasonably smart types no? :D

They never really explained this. I played fo3 and then goty edition and that hacking tip never was made clear. I always went into it guessing and I'd back out of the hack with 1 guess left. That'd reset it back to full guess options...

Mind blown by the way

Fredescu

I much preferred just stepping outside the doctors house and thinking "There it is. I can go wherever the fuck I want." Bethesda's starting dungeons are starting to wear thin with me. To each their own though.

Timber

Ledsen said:
That's pretty discouraging. Exploration is the main driver for me in these kinds of games, and the reason why I love the genre. Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, GTA4, etc, these games all have amazingly good looking worlds that made me want to explore every nook and cranny just to see a cool new environmental feature or enjoy a beautiful view.
that's precisely what draws me to these games, too. but like i said, it's an edge, not a gap. so far i'm really enjoying the world. the first few hours are structured differently than 3's opening stages (more controlled, a bit linear even), but after Primm the game opens up more and i really got into the exploration from that point on.

only things that are kinda bugging me are the mountain ranges that functioning as barriers.

Personally, I like the main story of Fallout 3 more. A vault dweller coming out to see the outside world for the very first time is more appealing (to me) than a courier looking for revenge.

jax (old)

Banned
revolverjgw said:
I sent Rex back to Lucky 38. When I went back to get him, of course he wasn't there. What can I do?

I did this to Veronica and Rex. Running around with Cassidy and ede now. Hopefully, well, they better be there still. Otherwise, seriously, buggy thjs game. Well, we all know ita buggy as all hell

Hobs

Neo Member
I sent Boone back to Novac and it took a while for him to arrive back. I waited for several days and he wasn't there, so I just took another companion and continued the story, after a while I went back to Novac and he was there.

Lothars

Jamesfrom818 said:
Personally, I like the main story of Fallout 3 more. A vault dweller coming out to see the outside world for the very first time is more appealing (to me) than a courier looking for revenge.

I agree I think it's a superior story from Fallout 3, New Vegas is a great game but it's not as good of a main story so far.

Ledsen

Timber said:
that's precisely what draws me to these games, too. but like i said, it's an edge, not a gap. so far i'm really enjoying the world. the first few hours are structured differently than 3's opening stages (more controlled, a bit linear even), but after Primm the game opens up more and i really got into the exploration from that point on.

only things that are kinda bugging me are the mountain ranges that functioning as barriers.

Okay, sounds good :) I'm sure I'll love the game just like I did FO3, just a bit disappointed with the beginning.

bumclot

vas_a_morir said:
I'm saddened that I am near the end of the game. Next game, I am going to take the indy route.

Also, did anybody else find
Mr. House's shriveled body
freaky as hell?

Did you kill him or leave him as a vegetable?
:lol

Is this really near the end of the game? If so, it felt pretty short, but I'm sure I've missed plenty of side quests.

GDGF

Soothsayer
avcables said:
I thought about this on my way to work. I think when you activate the weapon, it kills some NCR outside roaming the grounds. That's probably why they aggro'd you.

That's weird. I activated it, thought about it for a second, then deactivated it without penalty.

Does anyone else get annoyed that your character doesn't look down the scope of the sniper rifle when you're using VATS? The scope is above the eyes around the forehead.

jax (old)

Banned
Lothars said:
I agree I think it's a superior story from Fallout 3, New Vegas is a great game but it's not as good of a main story so far.
The fallout3 storyline was played out from a much more personal angle with the whole looking for his father and tha channeled your protag forward in a logical manner. That also personalises ur avatar because you know his backstory, you have context to work off.. Who is this courier dude you're playing in fallout new vegas?? It's not defined by any measure...

Surre there's no dc/central hub but I think you guys are for getting just how dreary the subway tunnels were. All the same dreary as all he'll and the Capitol wasteland was blocked off left right..etc ... Very aggravating

GDGF

Soothsayer
daoster said:
First time around, I didn't even know who Boone was. The Helios area is definitely doable without him.

Yeah it is. I didn't have Boone yet when I did Helios One.

I most certainly had a flamethrower, though!

The beginning is easily the weakest part of NV, probably because it all feels so familiar and the town is sort of boring. Once you get exploring, running into all the factions, and the story starts to come together it will start to dawn on you just how massive and multilayered the game is. I felt Fallout 3 was pretty one-note in comparison.

Top Bottom