• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Jax said:
Surre there's no dc/central hub but I think you guys are for getting just how dreary the subway tunnels were. All the same dreary as all he'll and the Capitol wasteland was blocked off left right..etc ... Very aggravating
I liked the subway tunnels, and the blocked off areas at least made sense because of all the destruction. As a whole I'm finding the DC Wasteland to be my favorite Fallout setting so far. I haven't played New Vegas yet, but the Mojave Wasteland doesn't appeal to me as much, though I do trust Obsidian.

Wallach

Gravijah said:
I'm pretty sure I've seen them reload, too... just can't remember how long it takes. I've got shitloads of stuff I need to unload.

BTW, those fucking poisonous giant fly things that start with a C are deadly. They're my absolute least favorite thing thing to fight.

Also, currently 25 hours in at level 15. I've got a looooong way to go.

I know on the PC if you load from the main menu, vendors seem to force refresh their inventory. However, if you load again after that once in-game the inventory they have will be back to what it was when you created the save. I don't know if this also updates their cap totals, but it's worth a shot.

Jintor

VistraNorrez said:
I liked the subway tunnels, and the blocked off areas at least made sense because of all the destruction. As a whole I'm finding the DC Wasteland to be my favorite Fallout setting so far. I haven't played New Vegas yet, but the Mojave Wasteland doesn't appeal to me as much, though I do trust Obsidian.

The Capital Wastelands are lame as heck. Never fealt like there was a sense of being anywhere, just ruins here and ruins there. At least the Mojave feels like there's communities forming, doing something with their lives, tactical outposts here and there, so on and so forth.

Cheech

I was loving this game. About 16 hours in, had a lot of sweet quests, having loads of fun...

Then my game locks up while loading the last saved game. Weird. I shut down the Xbox, fire it back up, and try loading it again. Locks up.

Fire the Xbox up again, clear the cache, try loading. Lock. Try loading the save before the current one. "DLC not found, may not be available, followed by "No Storage Device Found".

Clear cache again, reboot Xbox, now it simply tells me "No Storage Device found". My last FOUR most recent saves all say this, except the most recent, which locks the Xbox up. This represents about 8 hours of gameplay.

I took the disc out of the Xbox, put it in the case, and I'll be trading it in tomorrow. I only get about 1-2 hours to game a night, so do the math.

So, I'm going to play through Witch Hunt (Dragon Age), then start up Fable 3. And I'm done buying Bethesda/Zenimax published games until the next Elder Scrolls game, and that assumes it reviews decently without nasty bug reports. No more preordering Bethesda games.

I have played Morrowind, Oblivion, and FO3 all to completion. No, they weren't perfect, but none of them contained game save destroying bugs. That is simply unforgivable, and reflects a standard of QA that is indicative of a publisher that does not give two shits about the customer.

Good luck with your games, fellas. There is a fantastic game buried in there somewhere.

Jintor

Cheech said:
Good luck with your games, fellas. There is a fantastic game buried in there somewhere.

It sounds more like there's a fantastic game right there, but it's liable to be snatched away at any moment for no goddamn reason

Vaporak

So does anyone know if there's mods for anything but the standard common weapons? I'd like to replace my standard lazer rifle with the tri-beam lazer rifle I've got, but the tri-beam can't use the lazer rifle sniper scope. :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Fallout New Vegas is like ordering a delicious sandwich then finding a pubey looking hair inside the bread. It still tastes great, but it's not as amazing as it could have been if it wasn't for that little strand of hair.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Jamesfrom818 said:
The thing that is strange to me is that you are a courier that has lived in the Mojave Wasteland all your life but you act like a newcomer to the world when you start the game.
The Mojave desert is huge. The stuff represented in the game.. from Primm and Stateline to Las Vegas and Henderson/Black Mountain.. north to Mount Charleston and Red Rock then south to Lake Mead and Hoover Dam.. is probably 1/4 the sum total of the Mojave.

Jintor said:
The Capital Wastelands are lame as heck. Never fealt like there was a sense of being anywhere, just ruins here and ruins there. At least the Mojave feels like there's communities forming, doing something with their lives, tactical outposts here and there, so on and so forth.

I do think they could have stood to have more sewers in NV. Unless there are and I haven't found them yet. It just makes sense for them to exist, they'd have plenty of uses in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

AkuMifune

Banned
For the people worried about bugs and whatnot, I'm 30-something hours in (installed on a launch 360) and still running fine, few issues and only one lockup. I remember for Oblivion and FO3 on 360 it was recommended to create new saves instead of saving over the same slot all the time and delete the cache once in a while to limit the 'gets jankier the more you play' aspect, though I haven't had to do either yet.

Right now I'm working through 'Still in the Dark', and
I don't intend to help Hardin oust McNamara. I just don't like or agree with Hardin. It feels weird intentionally not finishing part of a quest, but that's what I think my character would do.

Orgun said:
I love super mutants "HAHAHAHA FUNNY ROBOT MAKE BLINKY NOISES"

The mutants are back to how they should be, not sneering ghoul orcs. Fuck you bethesda.

Fistwell said:
Vault 34 is such an annoying piece of shit. The radiations goes "crecreiciericreicrie", the fucking ghouls i should be able to fucking kill if only they showed themselves but stay mysteriously hidden probably glitching the fuck out inside a wall go "BBOOAARHGBOOAARGH", the busted fucking door goes "CCLLUUNG.... CCLLUUUNNNG", all my fucking companions do is block the exit of any room i wanna get out off, i can't tell a room from another, i wanna find that OTHER flooded area, but i'm just running around in fucking circles and i'm going fucking insssanananewnnenenenklrwknl'ghwh

They tried to remake the glow in FO1 it seems, but the the fallout 3 vault assets are just too small and claustrophobic to make it work in a first person 3d space. Hence the companions blocking your every movement and getting stuck on objects. They also spider sense enemies from behind walls. So along with the geigar counter and door clunk i had my fucking ED-E cowboy music going and Cass shouting.

The glow also had an awesome brotherhood mission behind it as well.

As crappy writers as Bethesda have, they know their world design.

FO3's world design was pretty damn childish and retarded.

Gravijah

BTW, speaking of the robot at Gun Runners snugs mentioned, he has increased his amount of caps each time I've bought from him/waited 24+hours. Right now he's up to 8000.

Jeramii

Banned
my game just froze. and when i restarted my system it just informed me there is an update!!! yes. please fix the problems bugging me most. hah.

**edit, nothing seems different yet... my companion still has no sniper rifle :( **

Lothars

fizzelopeguss said:
FO3's world design was pretty damn childish and retarded.

I don't think we played the same game but I don't understand all the hate FO3 gets especially the world, I feel that FO3 is just as good as NV but they are just different.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
uh, fallout 3's world was awesome.

hello, weird pedophile serial killer hiding in a secluded sewer tunnel with bodies in the freezer wearing a mask for no reason? that is great.

up your nose with a rubber hose if you don't like that.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The setting is probably the one thing I prefer in Fallout 3. I like the desert setting and Vegas in New Vegas, but it doesn't touch seeing ruined national monuments and stuff like that. It's much more low key in comparison.

Hyunkel6

AkuMifune said:
For the people worried about bugs and whatnot, I'm 30-something hours in (installed on a launch 360) and still running fine, few issues and only one lockup.
You must be blessed by the Mojave gods. 18 hours in, and around 10 lockups here. I hope a patch is coming.

Gravijah

Hyunkel6 said:
You must be blessed by the Mojave gods. 18 hours in, and around 10 lockups here. I hope a patch is coming.

On the 360? On the PS3, 25 hours in and the only time I've locked up was when the frame rate randomly dropped super low and I couldn't do shit, tried to leave and it never loaded past the loading screen.

Hyunkel6

Gravijah said:
On the 360? On the PS3, 25 hours in and the only time I've locked up was when the frame rate randomly dropped super low and I couldn't do shit, tried to leave and it never loaded past the loading screen.
Yeah, on 360. I should really try clearing the cache, but I always forget.

saunderez

Hyunkel6 said:
Yeah its pretty broken. I had a fun one last night where my Auto-Save would freeze up 100% of the time around 10 seconds after I loaded it. I tried a few things to stop it (zoning, fast travel, opening the PipBoy) but nothing worked. Had to reload a previous save and lost about an hour of progress.

At least I can finish the game now though. Thanks to everyone who suggested I turn on hardcore mode and kill Veronica after she glitched out and broke my game. It worked perfectly.

Now fix the game Obsidian so I can start again when I get to the end!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Lothars said:
I don't think we played the same game but I don't understand all the hate FO3 gets especially the world, I feel that FO3 is just as good as NV but they are just different.
Come on. Lots of stuff in Fallout 3s world just doesnt make sense. A town where people are exiled when they turn 16? And theyve kept a steady population for how many years? (The kids got to Lamplight in 2077 during the school trip and they somehow repopulated themselves for 200 years while exiling all the people that leave childhood?

Nuka-Cola Challenge? The Family? The inane plot about using Project Purity to kill all mutated creatures with the modified FEV? Harold and the druids?

Gravijah

Sweeeet, PS3 patch. Are there any patch notes? :lol

water_wendi said:
Come on. Lots of stuff in Fallout 3s world just doesnt make sense. A town where people are exiled when they turn 16? And theyve kept a steady population for how many years? (The kids got to Lamplight in 2077 during the school trip and they somehow repopulated themselves for 200 years while exiling all the people that leave childhood?

Nuka-Cola Challenge? The Family? The inane plot about using Project Purity to kill all mutated creatures with the modified FEV? Harold and the druids?

All of that stuff is awesome.

I posted a while back saying I was 20ish hours in with no lockups, I'm now 30 with no lockups, I've tried for force lockups (People saying that VATS and fast travelling more likely to crash the game) and still nothing. Maybe installing the game to the 360 Hard Drive helps?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
lamplight was so great! i loved it.

the weirder, more nonsensical shit they threw in, the more i ate it up. the world itself seemed to have such verisimilitude, when things that were really unusual showed up, it served as a nice contrast to the otherwise dark, serious landscape.

water_wendi said:

Maybe all that cave fungus they ate had some sort of side effect on their puberty/fertility.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
biosnake20 said:
so basically this game would be godlike if it wasnt for the glitches
It would be godlike if it had the Killzone engine. Or the Unreal engine. Or any other damn engine other than Gamebryo.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
saunderez said:
Maybe you'd fit in better over at NMA. They seem to have a problem with pretty much everything to do with Fallout 3.
i didnt say everything was stupid. i said lots of stuff was and provided examples. Fallout 3s world design is garbage next to every other Fallout game.. except maybe Brotherhood of Steel.. that had like no redeeming qualities about it :lol

Lothars

water_wendi said:

I think all that stuff was really well done, it's really good, your completely wrong if you think that stuff is trash but whatever.

FO3 is a fantastic game that gets more crap than it should.

Zeliard

Jamesfrom818 said:
Personally, I like the main story of Fallout 3 more. A vault dweller coming out to see the outside world for the very first time is more appealing (to me) than a courier looking for revenge.

Those aren't the main stories - they are the premises. NV has a simplistic revenge premise that grows increasingly complex as you unravel things. The whole "first time in the outside world" feeling in FO3 subsides almost as soon as you actually step outside, since nothing there functions much differently outside of the sense of space. You don't at all feel like someone who's been holed up in a vault for his entire life and now suddenly gets to experience the outside world - outside of the eyesight adjusting, nothing at all conveys that to you.

I found the storyline in Fallout 3 to not be terribly engaging. The premise was okay but most of what followed was uninteresting. NV is basically the opposite. The premise is something we've seen a million versions of, but there's ultimately a lot more to it.

I thought the most interesting things in Fallout 3 by far were some of the random locations that didn't have anything to do with the actual plot or main characters.

tiff

Banned
HadesGigas said:
I do think they could have stood to have more sewers in NV. Unless there are and I haven't found them yet. It just makes sense for them to exist, they'd have plenty of uses in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
oh god, no sewers. dungeon crawling was my least favorite part of FO3. i'm so glad all the quests i've seen so far in NV involve tasks more compelling than fighting endless ghouls.

beelzebozo said:

hello, weird pedophile serial killer hiding in a secluded sewer tunnel with bodies in the freezer wearing a mask for no reason? that is great.

that's neat, but the bulk of my experience in FO3's world consisted of solely of rocks, ruins, and raiders.

Wallach

water_wendi said:

I don't really understand how most of what you're talking about here is far off from the general world design of, say, Fallout 2.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Legendary Warrior said:
oh god, no sewers. dungeon crawling was my least favorite part of FO3. i'm so glad all the quests i've seen so far in NV involve tasks more compelling than fighting endless ghouls.

that's neat, but the bulk of my experience in FO3's world consisted of solely of rocks, ruins, and raiders.

if the bulk of it were like what i mentioned, it would no longer be special or interesting when something did happen.

Legendary Warrior said:

Well in theory in a less radiated area like NV, the sewers could have been more intact and used for shelter and safer caravan trading and not be full of ghouls.

Lothars

water_wendi said:
i didnt say everything was stupid. i said lots of stuff was and provided examples. Fallout 3s world design is garbage next to every other Fallout game.. except maybe Brotherhood of Steel.. that had like no redeeming qualities about it :lol

It wasn't though, the examples you listed are not reason why it's garbage, I thought those quests were quite good, I see Fallout 3 as a good game maybe not exactly on par with fallout 1 or 2 but pretty close.

tiff

Banned
beelzebozo said:
if the bulk of it were like what i mentioned, it would no longer be special or interesting when something did happen.
but if the bulk of the setting isn't interesting, it kind of kills my motivation to search out the special little secrets like that.

what a dilemma.

HadesGigas said:
Well in theory in a less radiated area like NV, the sewers could have been more intact and used for shelter and safer caravan trading and not be full of ghouls.
well, okay. i think sewers are kind of a boring and stupid video game concept in general, but that's better than a dungeon crawl.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
I don't really understand how most of what you're talking about here is far off from the general world design of, say, Fallout 2.
Except for perhaps an easter egg like Pinky and the Brain or whatever, there is nothing in Fallout 2 as dumb as Lamplight or Project Purity (especially Edens plan for it).

Jintor

HadesGigas said:

There's sewers beneath Vegas, but no quests are involved (bar like one tiny minor sidequest where you have to evict some dudes from there)

Lothars said:
It wasn't though, the examples you listed are not reason why it's garbage, I thought those quests were quite good, I see Fallout 3 as a good game maybe not exactly on par with fallout 1 or 2 but pretty close.

No, those concepts are alright and at least fit with the Fallout kind of sense of things. The execution was goddamn terrible though. Absolutely bloody terrible. Possible exception of Oasis, but only because it had Harold.

tokkun

water_wendi said:

This is a series where a "stimpack" can cure a shotgun blast to the face. Is it really worth obsessing over a character's motivation for collecting a limited edition soda?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
tokkun said:
This is a series where a "stimpack" can cure a shotgun blast to the face. Is it really worth obsessing over a character's motivation for collecting a limited edition soda?
nd4dvn.jpg

Case closed.

Wallach

water_wendi said:
Except for perhaps an easter egg like Pinky and the Brain or whatever, there is nothing in Fallout 2 as dumb as Lamplight or Project Purity (especially Edens plan for it).

Lamplight was about as "dumb" as the ghost farm near Modoc. What about President Richardson's plans to use modified FEV to kill all "non-pure" humans from the planet by pumping it into the jet stream off shore? Where do you think the idea for Eden's plan came from?

beelzebozo said:

Except every fucker in fallout 3 is like that. There's barely a normal individual in that game. The "nice" ones are annoying cocks like moira or threedog.

Every raider doesn't just raid, he has to fucking eat people while he's at it apparently. I'm surprised along with their "painspike" and "blastmaster" armor they don't wear a " Shawl of Wet flapping intestine" while their at it.

Caesar isn't conquering the West, he's fleeing from those psycho's in the east! :lol

Cannibalism, Rape and slavery are shocking topics. But fallout 3 somehow manages to make them dull and tiresome. That "cannibal" town is pathetic and made irrelevent when you walk through a dozen raider and mutant camps loaded with gore filled sacks.

And that shit's supposed to be happening 200 years after the bombs dropped? the fuck.

Watch "the Road" for a proper mindfuck if you haven't already.

Vamphuntr

I spent the weekend playing this with a friend on PS3. I completed Fallout 3 and every expansions pack and I must say this is pretty much like Fallout 3 with only a smaller world. I love the small additions they came up with like being able to make medicines and ammos from the craps you find around (I know there was a Fallout 3 mod that did that :D ). I also love the new perk that let you repair weapons of the same type instead of needing an exact replica of the weapon you want to repair. So much easier to repair uniques now (also thank god there are repair kit in this one. In 3 you had to get alien epoxy to repair uniques).

I was disappointed by New Vegas itself. The actual restored city is quite small. The quests are also pretty much recycled from Fallout 3
Instead of a cannibal village, you have a cannibal hotel/casino, instead of collecting nuka cola quantum you collect blue star caps and one of the mysterious guy of the plot also ends up being a computer and so on
. Main plot is much more fleshed out than 3 but that was expected with Obsidian. I can't really say much about the faction system aside that's it's another bother on top of the karma system. It's also pretty clear who is good and who is evil. Instead of simply attacking you according to your Karma now they will attack you if you shunned them before.

When I was playing 3 I was so frustrated by the subway system and how it was confusing but now I kinda miss it. New Vegas is quite simple to that regard. To get to New Vegas you simply follow the U shaped road and that's it. The fact that you discovers an ''important location'' every two minutess while walking around broke the exploration a bit for me. At least it gives you more fast travel waypoints.

And yes it's buggy. About every 5 mins or so there are like half seconds freezes. In about 15 hours it crashed 4 times where one of them was during a loading screen. In a quest I was stuck since a boat never appeared. I had to jump into the water and randomly look around for a button prompt to take the invisble boat. Boone's sniper rifle is buggy. In casinos for example, even when they would remove every one weapon, he would get to keep his sniper. Sometime I get to simply walk through door (this happened a lot
in the vault with the plant/spore guy
).

Overall it's a great game I was able to play at a friend's but I will wait for the cheapo or GOTY version saying how unpolished it is.

_tetsuo_ said:
lvl 15 and still havent been to vegas :lol

*high five*

..Unless Freeside counts? I'm almost to 17 and haven't gone into the Strip yet. I think I'm OCD, cause I intend on going and then I check my quests and I just have to do another.

Top Bottom