• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

ezekial45

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Got a few questions:

1. Has there been any updates to the game on the 360? I have mine disconnected from XBL.
2. Does the game still run better without the install? I'm playing the game off the disc, and after extended periods, the game starts to slow to a crawl and loading takes about 30-45 secs.
3. How do i engage Veronica's companion quest? I really want to go to Vault 34, and i already have another quest that goes there. I want to do both in one shot.
4. For the locked door in the Robot headquarters (forgot name) south of new vegas, is there an alternative way to open it? It said that i need either 100 science or 100 lockpick.

anyone?

Gravijah

Grr, question regarding a companion:

Veronica's power glove randomly... disappeared. Now she just randomly starts using 9 irons and baseball bats and stuff. Is there any way to bring it back?I also noticed Boone's sniper rifle randomly popped up in my inventory... I don't even remember touching it.

Edit:
Wiki says it's a glitch and that it should be in my inventory... problem is I don't remember getting it. Fuck. :/

ezekial45

Banned
Dresden said:
There's been a patch for the 360, and installing improves performance on just about every game, so I don't see why it wouldn't for the 360 version.

Sure, but i've heard people had a better experience running the game off the disc.

saunderez

water_wendi said:
Two things. First, its only a few drinks of Aqua Pura that will kill you.. so its not slow acting at all. Secondly, Super Mutants and most Ghouls steer clear of humans so i doubt they would buy water but more importantly they have no need for radioactive free water since RADIATION HEALS THEM.
It was never about killing super mutants and ghouls. It was intended to "purify" the human genome. Genetic mutations caused by radiation were bad as far as the Enclave was concerned. They wanted to reboot the US with "pure" humans as the base.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
saunderez said:
It was never about killing super mutants and ghouls. It was intended to "purify" the human genome. Genetic mutations caused by radiation were bad as far as the Enclave was concerned. They wanted to reboot the US with "pure" humans as the base.
The Enclave originally was going to put it into the jetstream to kill off everything so that they could rebuild. Eden then modifies it to kill off mutants and non-pure humans (or so he said.. he could have been lying and with how things pan out if you use the virus its either that or he somehow didnt know what the Enclave made it for originally).

Wallach said:
They didn't have the technology to just dump it in the river and have it spread; by using PP they could take only a small amount of modified FEV and have it propagate to the entire water source. Their goal though was to take control of the capital area first because of the high concentration of super mutants on top of the BoS entrenchment and they could wipe out all of that resistance with the same move. They needed James' technology to go any further because their ability to mass produce modified FEV was gone; they were using the oil rig as a manufacturing facility to produce curling-13, and you kind of blew it to hell.
i understand this but it makes zero sense to use a water source as a distribution method. Using the jet stream currents to carry a virus to wipe out global population does.

Zyzyxxz

I just got to New Vegas and I am so overwhelmed with the plethora of Quests that I got.

Also I rejected Veronica at the time but does she always reappear in the same place?

Wallach

water_wendi said:
i understand this but it makes zero sense to use a water source as a distribution method. Using the jet stream currents to carry a virus to wipe out global population does.

Well, keep in mind if they could still create the massive volume of modified FEV and still had the ability to dump all of it that deep below the surface, I'm guessing they would. The loss of the Enclave base on the rig was a massive blow in that regard. I don't see why you think using the water source makes zero sense; they still need to take full control of the capital area and by using the Potomac you ensure pretty much all of the living intelligent life in that area is going to get infected.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
I don't see why you think using the water source makes zero sense; they still need to take full control of the capital area and by using the Potomac you ensure pretty much all of the living intelligent life in that area is going to get infected.
Because it is not going to effect enough people, fast enough. People would eventually learn to not drink that "purified" water. And mutants/ghouls would not care about drinking Aqua Pura because they dont die from drinking irradiated water. If it were spread in aerosol form every breathing creature would likely be exposed and have zero choice whether or not to breath it because what the Enclave had on the rig was enough to blanket the entire Earth.

Zyzyxxz said:
I just got to New Vegas and I am so overwhelmed with the plethora of Quests that I got.

Also I rejected Veronica at the time but does she always reappear in the same place?
Yes, she should still be there.

With the large amount of quests you have sometimes, it can be very overwhelming. I just pick one and stick with it or try to do quests for one faction at a time. So many optional side quests too, it's awesome. I can't get over how good this game is.

NoRéN

Jamesfrom818 said:
Not really related to the game but I think I'll wear some dirty clothes and say I'm a Fallout character for Halloween.
Or you can wear random articles of clothing and do the same: ex. fancy hat, biker goggles, cowboy vest.

Wallach

water_wendi said:
Because it is not going to effect enough people, fast enough. People would eventually learn to not drink that "purified" water. And mutants/ghouls would not care about drinking Aqua Pura because they dont die from drinking irradiated water. If it were spread in aerosol form every breathing creature would likely be exposed and have choice whether or not to breath it because what the Enclave had on the rig was enough to blanket the entire Earth.

It doesn't matter - the whole Potomac was infected. That is the whole point of James' technology; it purified the entire river source. The bottles labeled "Aqua Pura" are just bottled from the source, but anything drinking from the Potomac would still get infected. Once the Enclave had the technology they were going to study it and expand on it, but the immediate use there was only to enable them to weaken the capital area specifically for them to take it over.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
It doesn't matter - the whole Potomac was infected. That is the whole point of James' technology; it purified the entire river source. The bottles labeled "Aqua Pura" are just bottled from the source, but anything drinking from the Potomac would still get infected. Once the Enclave had the technology they were going to study it and expand on it, but the immediate use there was only to enable them to weaken the capital area specifically for them to take it over.
To infect the entire river you would need to start at the source or upstream afaik. The basin itself where the purifier was would be infected as would be where it flushed out but the entire river would not be deadly. And it didnt kill everyone because if you install the FEV canister it doesnt kill everyone.

Ledsen

avcables said:
Yea, I'm using that currently. New Vegas Stuttering Fix is up though. The one that relies on the script extender. It's a prelim version because, obviously, the SE isn't out.

Yeah I've tried it, but I don't see much difference from the 4gb/stuttering fix and since it doesn't allow Steam I'll wait for NVSE.

duckroll

ezekial45 said:

4. For the locked door in the Robot headquarters (forgot name) south of new vegas, is there an alternative way to open it? It said that i need either 100 science or 100 lockpick.

I can help with this one.
You can pick the lock of a door on the second floor which requires 50 or 75 lockpick, can't remember, and from there you can find your way down through the broken floor into the chamber behind the 100 science/100 lockpick door. You can grab the loot and then unlock it normally from the inside.

Arozay

I beat the game last night.
I sided with Mr House, only things I didn't like about this was that you have to destroy the Brotherhood's base and the stuff concerning the climax was a little easy.
I enjoyed New Vegas way more than Fallout 3 in terms of the main story.

I'll probably wait for a patch or two and some updated mods before playing through it fresh on Hardcore, I'll probably mess around with my final save between then.

j-wood

On the inventory weapons screen, there is a bullet icon above the dps with a number beside it. Does anyone know what this icon means?

jax (old)

Banned
Just wrapped up: Thoughts:

as above, from my play session last night, high level made it seem like I was rapidly doing a bunch of quests, fast travel here, there.. and killing things left right so its not surprising that my last hour and a half felt the same way. Had a lot of fun, mid game when it was exploration and it was a challenge.

Final Act
I went with house and killed the BOS and eventually bugged the dam and also killed the legates + oliver. The lead up to all this felt like it lacked something vital as others have descibed, it was a bit of a WTF ending.Basically it was kill everything, and most of it was legates til the very end.

The fact that it then concluded with an ending that covered most of the places/characters you've seen almost via bullet point made the ending really weak to me. Wasn't sure how I felt at having narrators other than perlman in the ending

also seeing how I went with house, I never really thought the way the story was told made him seem like a personality that you'd want to run with - even though he was very central to this storyline - what with the platinum chip as an anchor for FONV.

war never changes. I do wish the game ended in a more impactful and meaningful way. I think narrative wise, Fallout 3 was much much better. Especially the search for water/father made it seemed much more vital in its nature. This one rung a bit hollow at the end, mostly because your protagnist really didn't seem to have a driving reason to be doing a lot of the stuff he chose to do in the end.

add:

considering this game is about choice. and that end game..
there really wasn't very much choice here. At the end it was you-yesman/house or the NCR. There wasn't way to save the Khans or the brotherhood. Sure I could have left them alone but it would have been so much better if you could have told the brotherhood guys that house wants to blow you up, I want you to break seclusion, come into the real world..etc. But the choice simply wasn't there.

There wasn't a way to help the wasteland in an altrusitic manner, no fellowship of the apolcaplyse ending that would have propelled that to the forefront. No involvement of the jacobtown mutants. The game was wide open til the end and then it really closed down to hooverdamn, and the 3 factions - house/legion/NCR.

Dresden

j-wood said:
On the inventory weapons screen, there is a bullet icon above the dps with a number beside it. Does anyone know what this icon means?
It's the recommended skill level for that weapon. So a number of 50 would mean that the game recommends you have a 50 of that weapon skill before using it; anything below, you'll suffer lower accuracy and damage.

TTG

Kind a stupid question, but how do I make the food/water I collect edible? I don't see an option on the campsite and dehydration is starting to set in. I have dirty water etc. how do I convert it to water I can drink? Stat says -65 H2O or whatever, I'm assuming that's the opposite of what I want?

TTG said:
Kind a stupid question, but how do I make the food/water I collect edible? I don't see an option on the campsite and dehydration is starting to set in. I have dirty water etc. how do I convert it to water I can drink? Stat says -65 H2O or whatever, I'm assuming that's the opposite of what I want?

No that's what you want. Look in your stats, H20, FOD, SLP, and RAD are all there and as their numbers get higher the worse it gets, so you take something to -100 RADS or -100 H20

TTG

HadesGigas said:
No that's what you want. Look in your stats, H20, FOD, SLP, and RAD are all there and as their numbers get higher the worse it gets, so you take something to -100 RADS or -100 H20

Thanks, that makes things easier.

TTG said:

Just click on it in your Pip Boy inventory screen. Also negative values decreases dehydration so it's good, the same applies to consumables effects on sleep and food.

Lakitu

st5fu
TTG said:

NM. Completely mis-read!

Ledsen

water_wendi said:
Come on. Lots of stuff in Fallout 3s world just doesnt make sense. A town where people are exiled when they turn 16? And theyve kept a steady population for how many years? (The kids got to Lamplight in 2077 during the school trip and they somehow repopulated themselves for 200 years while exiling all the people that leave childhood?

Nuka-Cola Challenge? The Family? The inane plot about using Project Purity to kill all mutated creatures with the modified FEV? Harold and the druids?

Why does it have to make sense? It's a wacky post-apocalyptic 50's wasteland for christs sake, it's supposed to be nonsensical and goofy. Just like in the first two games. As long as it's different and fun, it fits. Fake vampires, a town with only kids, an unwilling god tree, a republic of 20 people, this is all awesome stuff that sparks the imagination and makes me want to explore every inch to find it all.

water_wendi said:
nd4dvn.jpg

Case closed.

That quest was amazing, maybe the most imaginative and interesting in the game. Don't be such a stiff :(

Ledsen said:
Yeah I've tried it, but I don't see much difference from the 4gb/stuttering fix and since it doesn't allow Steam I'll wait for NVSE.

Yeah, after getting the Script Extender/Stutter Fix running for OG Fallout 3, I'm just going to hold off for the NVSE as well.
Besides, I've never even finished Fallout 3 and am now completely reinvigorated to do so :D

Wallach

Decided to head up and take care of
Black Mountain.

Awesome quest. Being an EXPLODEY MAN OF SCIENCE I got to blow up a bunch of fools, but in the end the crazy Tabitha lives and is wandering the wastes with her robot pal, Rhonda. I wonder where they'll end up.

I also got my hands on Annabelle. What a pretty girl, that one.

jax (old)

Banned
comment add:

so I spent hours on this thing to completion

a) wacky wasteland = the worst implementation of the wacky wasteland of old. There was nothing I could see even though it happened 3-4 times. I spun around looking for something but nothing.

b) Grim reaper perk with the VATSkill/AP refill didn't work.

c) game was best when you were level 01-23. Then in that range it had challenge and personality. I enjoyed the rad hell of vault 34 and the fiend areas and getting owned. I think when it was hard going, it was so good.

@ wallach. How did you get to talk to Tabitha or get that outcome. BM was all combat for me. Wiped them out. :D

Wallach

Jax said:
@ wallach. How did you get to talk to Tabitha or get that outcome. BM was all combat for me. Wiped them out. :D

I fixed her robot friend Rhonda which was lying on a table in the storage room.

Dammit,
I did the entire quest chain for the Brotherhood of Steel so I could wear T-51b Power Armor, only to realize at the end that it's the Brotherhood version I've got, which immediately turns the NCR hostile. Anyone know where I can find a set of non-Brotherhood T-51b?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Jax said:
comment add:

so I spent hours on this thing to completion

a) wacky wasteland = the worst implementation of the wacky wasteland of old. There was nothing I could see even though it happened 3-4 times. I spun around looking for something but nothing.

b) Grim reaper perk with the VATSkill/AP refill didn't work.

c) game was best when you were level 01-23. Then in that range it had challenge and personality. I enjoyed the rad hell of vault 34 and the fiend areas and getting owned. I think when it was hard going, it was so good.

The hell? You didn't notice the wacky wasteland things? The guy that "hid" in the fridge and got blown up is a pretty damn big start right at the very beginning of the game!

Shinjitsu

Banned
After the PS3 patch my game seems to be running a lot better.

I've put in over 60 hours and I've barely even touched the main quest line. Love this game so much.:D

dwebo

Blue Ninja said:
Dammit,
I did the entire quest chain for the Brotherhood of Steel so I could wear T-51b Power Armor, only to realize at the end that it's the Brotherhood version I've got, which immediately turns the NCR hostile. Anyone know where I can find a set of non-Brotherhood T-51b?
The NCR gets heavy troopers near the endgame (there were some in Forlorn Hope iirc), though not sure what combination of quests triggers their arrival. I suppose you could stealth kill one of them and steal their armor - it's power armor, but not as good as the Brotherhood stuff. Actually, I don't think you even need power armor training to wear it, so that's probably not what you wanted anyway.

lsslave said:
The hell? You didn't notice the wacky wasteland things? The guy that "hid" in the fridge and got blown up is a pretty damn big start right at the very beginning of the game!
Yeah, there was that, and then I didn't get my next one until late into
Freeside. Holy Hand Grenades were pretty fun, but overall, there weren't nearly enough occurrences. I had one pop up during the last mission and I'm not even sure what the hell changed. :lol

dwebo said:
The NCR gets heavy troopers near the endgame (there were some in Forlorn Hope iirc), though not sure what combination of quests triggers their arrival. I suppose you could stealth kill one of them and steal their armor - it's power armor, but not as good as the Brotherhood stuff.
I've got a set of T-45d as well, but I just like the way the T-51b looks. :(

NoRéN

Wallach said:
I fixed her robot friend Rhonda which was lying on a table in the storage room.
Dammit! I did that. Then, Tabitha came in, I freaked out and let my Trail Carbine do the talking.

dwebo said:
:lol Well I just found this on the fallout wiki: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/T-51b_power_armor_(Fallout:_New_Vegas). Looks like the 51b stuff is always faction-specific unfortunately. There'll probably be some mod to adjust item properties if you're playing on PC though.
I'd looked there, too, but The Vault may be a few days behind, considering every editor is too busy playing New Vegas. :p In any case, I just found a non-faction specific set for sale in the Brotherhood's HQ. YAY!

Trickster said:
Anyone know where I can find any kind of item to increase my speech? Doesn't matter if it's just a temporary boost.
There's a "Meeting People" lying around in the bar in Goodsprings, I think. It temporarily increases your speech by 10.

Trickster said:
Anyone know where I can find any kind of item to increase my speech? Doesn't matter if it's just a temporary boost.

Grimy/Dirty Pre-War Suits give +5 and they're pretty easy to find. There's a whole ton of them on the 13th floor of Tops, for example.

Wallach

NoRéN said:
Dammit! I did that. Then, Tabitha came in, I freaked out and let my Trail Carbine do the talking.

I think that's a bug. The first time I repaired Rhonda, Tabitha burst into the room and tried to bash my face, with the newly fixed Rhonda supporting her with flames. :(

The second time she was waiting for me immediately when I left that storage room and she talked to me.

duckroll

Oh god, I lost ED-E! :(

Me and ED-E were assaulting Black Mountain on the Crazy Crazy Crazy quest when I decided it would be best to stealth it without him giving me away. I told him to return to the Lucky 38, and then I waited till dawn and sneaked pass all the patrols. I completed the mission and I recruited the final party member, only to return to the Lucky 38 to find that ED-E did not return!

Knowing this engine, he's alive somewhere out there, stuck in some part of the map, but I guess I'll either find him later as I play, or never see him again. Oh well, that robot was never too bright to begin with, so I'm not surprised that he couldn't find his way from Black Mountain back to Vegas. :lol

Wallach

duckroll said:
Oh god, I lost ED-E! :(

Me and ED-E were assaulting Black Mountain on the Crazy Crazy Crazy quest when I decided it would be best to stealth it without him giving me away. I told him to return to the Lucky 38, and then I waited till dawn and sneaked pass all the patrols. I completed the mission and I recruited the final party member, only to return to the Lucky 38 to find that ED-E did not return!

Knowing this engine, he's alive somewhere out there, stuck in some part of the map, but I guess I'll either find him later as I play, or never see him again. Oh well, that robot was never too bright to begin with, so I'm not surprised that he couldn't find his way from Black Mountain back to Vegas. :lol

I wonder if he got mauled on the way down... :lol

Top Bottom