• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Pooya

oldben1y3x.jpg

Interesting POV on
prostitution
0_o

Nose Master

miladesn said:
oldben1y3x.jpg

Interesting POV on
prostitution
0_o

Have you seen Old Ben at work? Thing of beauty.

Just got like 10k in caps from a murdering spree in
Vault 3
. Best part was:
"HEY DUDES I GOT JET" got me right up to the boss untouched :lol

Ugh, I'm pretty sure Rex disappeared. I sent him to the Lucky 38 a while ago, and he's nowhere to be found.

duckroll

Finally beat the game. Took about 42 hours for this character. Towards the very end I ignored several quests because I didn't really feel like the character needed to help anyone else anymore. It would be pointless for him to do those quests when the goal was in sight. :)

I went with the Wild Card route, and I'm pretty happy with the conclusion I got. In general all the conclusions in the game went according to most of my projections, and I feel most people got what they deserved.

Can't wait to start a female raider character who will attempt to join the Legion. Maybe I'll start it during the weekend. :lol

Trick_GSF

Banned
Just got done with it...

The Wasteland isn't as realized as the Capital from F3. The sheer amount of boarded up/inaccessible doors, terminals switched off, seemingly useless locations with little loot was disheartening. As someone who refuses to fast-travel, the world felt far less alive (not in a good way) then Fallout 3.

Though I guess the huge amount of quests made up for the lack of what I mentioned above.

In regards to settlements, they also pale in comparison to Fallout 3. Ignoring FreeSide and The Strip, most places felt dead and most characters were less than memorable.

The weapons and combat in general isn't as good as I thought it'd be. Most of my bullets seemed to just fly right through people/critters which became infuriating, more so after I got "guns" up to 88 and the same thing was, for the most part, still happening. Sometimes forcing me to use V.A.T.S if an enemy was further then 10 feet away, which I found kinda ironic, really. Also, where were all these weapon mods? I brought about 10 in total but didn't find a single one. The way the hyped this shit up only to make it so obscure is bizarre, truly. (maybe I'm missing something here, didn't find the right merchant, or something?).

When it came to bugs, I didn't get that many. No game breakers, though there were a few quest breakers. It took me 80 hours to complete, no fast-travel and it probably crashed about 15/20 times, which, for me isn't too bad as I play this way with Fallout 3 GOTY on PS3, I'm used to the odd restart lol.

The crafting was kinda crappy too, mostly due to being constantly overencumbered. Meaning there were more important things then wonderglue or scrap metal. Pfff.

That's the negatives done, on with the good stuff.

The game was pretty challenging. One point early on I auto-saved in a quarry with little health, shit weapons and surrounded by deathclaws. That was when it really became Fallout. Survival, and all that good stuff. I honestly thought I was going to have to restart a save from about 3 hours earlier, but I scraped through it, after about 20 deaths lol.

I also like the fact the mighty Deathclaw (and other critters) became what the people of the game described - freaking dangerous. In Fallout 3 you can sneeze on a deathclaw and it'll drop dead. Not in the Mojave wasteland, though. I seriously avoided them like the plague

I loved the quests and the overwhelming number of them. I have no doubt I've not even discovered at least a dozen of them.

The strip and freeside were amaing, and gambling was rather fun. I ended up losing a large amount of caps and it actually felt like it mattered, unlike in some games where currency is just "there".

Although it sounds like I'm shitting on the game, that is not the case. This is a Fallout game and one I really enjoyed. After playing Fallout 3 so profusely, maybe it will take sometime for me to accept the changes. Overall, this game was worth the wait. I cannot wait to go through it again.

8/10 from me.

Jintor

Trick_GSF said:
Just got done with it...

The Wasteland isn't as realized as the Capital from F3. The sheer amount of boarded up/inaccessible doors, terminals switched off, seemingly useless locations with little loot was disheartening. As someone who refuses to fast-travel, the world felt far less alive (not in a good way) then Fallout 3.

Though I guess the huge amount of quests made up for the lack of what I mentioned above.

In regards to settlements, they also pale in comparison to Fallout 3. Ignoring FreeSide and The Strip, most places felt dead and most characters were less than memorable.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong

wrong wrong wrong wrong

you're wrong

you're wrong

Well, to each their own. To me, the Capital Wastelands were the most boring-ass land to wander and explore ever. Well, no, let me rephrase that. Going anywhere was great, you really had the sense of traversing the wastes, trekking to the next settlement, etc, etc. Getting anywhere was just a massive disappointment because there was next to nothing to do, nothing to see, no interest whatsoever. I didn't feel that at all with NV; there was always some line of dialogue or some interesting situation that I would run into in most every town.

Fredescu

Logan in Camp Searchlight
wants some radiation suits. The computer says they're near Nipton and that I should ask around there. I killed everyone in Nipton before though, except the for the guy in the store, and he won't talk to me. Anyone know where the suits are? Doesn't seem to be in the wiki.

NoRéN

Fredescu said:
Logan in Camp Searchlight
wants some radiation suits. The computer says they're near Nipton and that I should ask around there. I killed everyone in Nipton before though, except the for the guy in the store, and he won't talk to me. Anyone know where the suits are? Doesn't seem to be in the wiki.
North of Nipton,
a cave

Ricker

Did you guys see the bucket trick? hehe....currently doing the Cass quest,I let Boone go for now but got sidetracked on the way to the Cass location by the Vault 22 quest that I started but gave up on and finished that one now,was pretty good,after dying about 10 times trying to figure that last part in there...

NoRéN

Fredescu said:
the rat cave? Boone has been wearing the rad suit from there the whole time heh. Didn't think of that.
I dont think so. I think the place was called
hidden supply cave

GDGF

Soothsayer
So yeah I think I was mistaken. I don't think I'm near endgame afterall. I just got to Black Mountain, I still haven't touched Vegas, and I have locations I haven't visited popping up all over the place. Still have a few old quests I need to get back to as well.

I love this game.

Oh, and Black Mountain is badass. I got there, got my ass handed to me (even with Boone sniping in the background) but I went back to my hotel room in Novac thinking "I can totally do this" and I grabbed the heavy artillery and hard core armor.

Fuck, I might just listen to "Eye of the Tiger".

Shinjitsu

Banned
Trick_GSF said:
Just got done with it...

Yeah, I think we played different versions of Fallout 3 or something.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Bearing in mind that this happens in Vegas should I maximize or improve my luck in the character build? Any real benefits from that? (no spoilers please)

Also is it possible to maximize melee + stealth + lockpicking +explosives at 15 level charcter? I guess no.

Well it looks like ED-E is missing, presumed dead in my game, although I still have his bonus perk. Basically I went into Vault 22 and
after the explosion
he vanished (apparently ED-E can be permanently removed from the game this way according to the NVWiki). Looks like I need to bring him back using the Console Commands (somehow!). Damn these dumb bugs!
Also been having too many CTD's, apparently for no reason at all; just running around the wasteland then..crash!

NoRéN

subversus said:
Bearing in mind that this happens in Vegas should I maximize or improve my luck in the character build? Any real benefits from that? (no spoilers please)

Also is it possible to maximize melee + stealth + lockpicking +explosives at 15 level charcter? I guess no.
I believe luck increases all skill a bit and increases your chances for criticals.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
NoRéN said:
I believe luck increases all skill a bit and increases your chances for criticals.

Hm. I remember being a rich man in New Reno because of high luck.

Pooya

subversus said:

I believe luck increases your chances of finding
star caps from bottles

Almak

Wallach said:
There's got to be a way to earn
NCR Ranger Combat Armor.
I refuse to believe Obsidian would be so idiotic.
I actually got one without having to kill or steal from anyone.
During the save the president quest when the culpit was exposed and the president was making a break for the vertibird the sniper shot one of the rangers and I was right there to loot his sweetass armor.
:)
I suppose its more of a stroke of luck than an actual method of earning it though but I did get it in the end.

Ricker

Damn so ED-E is in Vault 22??? I finished that quest like I said last evening,took me quite sometimes in there and never saw him...oh well... is there another robot or non human I can find now to tag along with Cass and me? spoiler it I guess in case...

MMaRsu

Trick_GSF said:
Just got done with it...

The weapons and combat in general isn't as good as I thought it'd be. Most of my bullets seemed to just fly right through people/critters which became infuriating, more so after I got "guns" up to 88 and the same thing was, for the most part, still happening. Sometimes forcing me to use V.A.T.S if an enemy was further then 10 feet away, which I found kinda ironic, really. Also, where were all these weapon mods? I brought about 10 in total but didn't find a single one. The way the hyped this shit up only to make it so obscure is bizarre, truly. (maybe I'm missing something here, didn't find the right merchant, or something?).

When it came to bugs, I didn't get that many. No game breakers, though there were a few quest breakers. It took me 80 hours to complete, no fast-travel and it probably crashed about 15/20 times, which, for me isn't too bad as I play this way with Fallout 3 GOTY on PS3, I'm used to the odd restart lol.

The crafting was kinda crappy too, mostly due to being constantly overencumbered. Meaning there were more important things then wonderglue or scrap metal. Pfff.

That's the negatives done, on with the good stuff.

The game was pretty challenging. One point early on I auto-saved in a quarry with little health, shit weapons and surrounded by deathclaws. That was when it really became Fallout. Survival, and all that good stuff. I honestly thought I was going to have to restart a save from about 3 hours earlier, but I scraped through it, after about 20 deaths lol.

I also like the fact the mighty Deathclaw (and other critters) became what the people of the game described - freaking dangerous. In Fallout 3 you can sneeze on a deathclaw and it'll drop dead. Not in the Mojave wasteland, though. I seriously avoided them like the plague

I loved the quests and the overwhelming number of them. I have no doubt I've not even discovered at least a dozen of them.

The strip and freeside were amaing, and gambling was rather fun. I ended up losing a large amount of caps and it actually felt like it mattered, unlike in some games where currency is just "there".

Although it sounds like I'm shitting on the game, that is not the case. This is a Fallout game and one I really enjoyed. After playing Fallout 3 so profusely, maybe it will take sometime for me to accept the changes. Overall, this game was worth the wait. I cannot wait to go through it again.

8/10 from me.

There's NOTHING in there that needs spoiler tags :\

Ontopic.. I bought a fucking sweet ass sniper rifle from the Gun Runners.. already had a silencer I bought so now it's awesome. I mean the damn thing kills pretty easily, it's in perfect condition :D. Ok it was 4500 caps or something but still

NoRéN

Ricker said:
Damn so ED-E is in Vault 22??? I finished that quest like I said last evening,took me quite sometimes in there and never saw him...oh well... is there another robot or non human I can find now to tag along with Cass and me? spoiler it I guess in case...
ED-E is in
The Nash residence in Primm

jax (old)

Banned
MMaRsu said:
There's NOTHING in there that needs spoiler tags :\

what are you complaining about? I finished the game, I read what he wrote and nothing in the entire thing is what you'd call spoilerific. He named some places but names aren't going to tell you what it is and what you do there.

Good review. 80 hours? MMmmannn.

Wallach said:
There's got to be a way to earn
NCR Ranger Combat Armor.
I refuse to believe Obsidian would be so idiotic.

why would anyone want that garbage? -2 AGI I think it was.

MMaRsu

Jax said:
what are you complaining about? I finished the game, I read what he wrote and nothing in the entire thing is what you'd call spoilerific. He named some places but names aren't going to tell you what it is and what you do there.

Good review. 80 hours? MMmmannn.

I know I'm just saying no reason to spoilertag it if it's not spoilerific.

jax (old)

Banned
re: this..

quest comment
did anyone get the
chef all the bits he needed to fix the food processore (at camp mclaren)? I wish the game implemented that list better
because I didn't want to go through a checklist so I didn't

I also agreed because I never used the reloading bench or the campfire. Although..
Party Time Mentats and its +5 charisma +2 Int +2 something else
was kind of awesome.

Wallach

Jesus christ I am playing too much of this game. I went to bookmark a thread and my brain was like "F5 for sure."

My new guy is pretty boss. VH/HC, Small Frame and Wild Wasteland traits. Tagged Guns/Repair/Sneak, only using 1h firearms (pistol/revolver/SMG). Can already tell this will likely be overpowered later but it's satisfying all the same.

bunbun777

I see people mentioning Veronica, but has anyone noticed Arcade
mention he is waiting for a nice guy to come sweep him off his feet?

Also, I slept with
Benny then killed him right after Basic Instinct -style --listening to matthew perry have sex with me was a bit traumatic

Jintor said:
Wrong wrong wrong wrong

wrong wrong wrong wrong

you're wrong

you're wrong

Well, to each their own. To me, the Capital Wastelands were the most boring-ass land to wander and explore ever. Well, no, let me rephrase that. Going anywhere was great, you really had the sense of traversing the wastes, trekking to the next settlement, etc, etc. Getting anywhere was just a massive disappointment because there was next to nothing to do, nothing to see, no interest whatsoever. I didn't feel that at all with NV; there was always some line of dialogue or some interesting situation that I would run into in most every town.

I really don't understand where this opinion is coming from. Haven't played New Vegas, which I do expect to be better because of the all the experiences people relate, but The Capital Wasteland was great.

Pretty much all the locations are memorable. Just exploring them and figuring out how they came to be, was very interesting. Little Lamplights, Underworld, Megaton, Rivet City, and so on, really had wonderful senses of history. Just the look of each place was distinct and made me want to explore every nook and cranny. When you arrive at Canterbury Commons and see the AntAgonizer and Mechanist going at, was a very cool moment and totally unexpected. Springvale was perfect as the first location to encounter upon leaving the Vault. Just looking into mailboxes and exploring each demolished house, it really went a long way immersing you into this world. The huge contrast from Vault 101 was so dramatic. That kind of stuff is what videogames do best.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
GDGF said:
Oh, and Black Mountain is badass. I got there, got my ass handed to me (even with Boone sniping in the background) but I went back to my hotel room in Novac thinking "I can totally do this" and I grabbed the heavy artillery and hard core armor.

Fuck, I might just listen to "Eye of the Tiger".

Oddly, I found that
melee worked far better (for Boone, since he's essentially my body guard at this point :lol First Recon woot) than guns for this quest (assuming you want to fight your way up the Hill). Once you kill one of the mutants with a supersledge pick it up and give it to Boone and switch him to melee. Most of the muties died within a few seconds (I was level 15-16-ish when I tried this). Even with my high energy skill, most mutants just shrugged off my attacks. Boone's guns were slightly more effective, but nothing like the huge chunks of health he takes off when he goes melee with a supersledge.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I sniped my way up the Black Mountain but I was already level 28 anyways. The game crashed on me once after it decided to throw a random Deathclaw up the pathway.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BlueTsunami said:
I sniped my way up the Black Mountain but I was already level 28 anyways. The game crashed on me once after it decided to throw a random Deathclaw up the pathway.

:eek: Deathclaws still eat me for lunch. I think I need (or rather Boone needs, assuming he'll agree to wear it) some power armor to kill them.

KORPAH

Neo Member
luxarific said:
Oddly, I found that
melee worked far better (for Boone, since he's essentially my body guard at this point :lol First Recon woot) than guns for this quest (assuming you want to fight your way up the Hill). Once you kill one of the mutants with a supersledge pick it up and give it to Boone and switch him to melee. Most of the muties died within a few seconds (I was level 15-16-ish when I tried this). Even with my high energy skill, most mutants just shrugged off my attacks. Boone's guns were slightly more effective, but nothing like the huge chunks of health he takes off when he goes melee with a supersledge.

If I remember correctly, I went up the side of the mountain, took out one super mutant sniper and made a dash for the storage room. In there, I repaired the robot. After that, I went outside and Tabitha (I think that was "her" name) didn't attack me because I repaired her robot. Tons of loot in that camp though.

[EDIT]: The guns you can buy at the Gun Runners vending robot is insane. I <3 having guns at 100 :)

Trick_GSF

Banned
Other then Freeside and The Strip, there were no settlements that I would call memorable. The Capital Wasteland had Rivet City, Underworld, Tennpenny Tower, Megaton, etc.

Most places in NV are small outposts, with a few small buildings and the odd NPC to give quests/sell/etc.

ezekial45

Banned
Is there anyway i can talk Jean-Baptiste out of
Killing Cass? I've become somewhat attached to her, and i don't really want to soil my rep with the Van Gruffs. I will if theres no other option though.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
KORPAH said:
If I remember correctly, I went up the side of the mountain, took out one super mutant sniper and made a dash for the storage room. In there, I repaired the robot. After that, I went outside and Tabitha (I think that was "her" name) didn't attack me because I repaired her robot. Tons of loot in that camp though.

[EDIT]: The guns you can buy at the Gun Runners vending robot is insane. I <3 having guns at 100 :)

Yeah, I wish I had
gone up the back way, since I would have no problem repairing the robot. Also, even though the mutant at the bottom of the Mountain (Norm?) said he would help me during my assault he just sat on his ass and didn't do anything (that may have been a bug).

Top Bottom