• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
NoRéN said:
The sniper Rifle, right? I was using the Ratslayer after some praise here on the thread but, didn't see it's greatness. I think I have Better Criticals Perk. I'll make sure to get Finesse next.

Without Criticals helping you out you'll need around 100 base damage and headshots to comfortably take out Death Claws... from a distance. Though, there is a cosmic weapon that can one shot them when critically hit.

knitoe

Damn you people tempted me with NCR Combat Armor. Currently, lvl 24 and liked by NCR, but still haven't seen one. Guess, need to start doing main quest. Been keeping them for last.

Bebpo

Banned
Beernf said:
So for anyone near the end of the game...

I killed Caesar and pretty much every Legion member in his camp and now things have started to get really funky. People don't know he is dead, they keep talking about how the battle is imminent, etc. Certain quests are now just broken, like House Always Wins I, the mission for the Khans, and a couple others. I also chose to side with Yes Man and now the NCR doesnt like me, but i have a mission to talk to a hostile NCR member. Crazy stuff.

So basically, has anyone else gone down this path? Anyone know if these are just standard bugs for this game?

I think you'll still be ok to finish the game.

The game is smart and cheats a bit by putting the people required for the ending mission in each side NCR/Legion not in the actual game until the ending mission starts so you can't kill them and fuck up the rest of the game. What does Yes Man want you to do? Can you solve it by simplying killing the person you are supposed to meet? (answer should be yes)

If the Legion and NCR are both hostile and you're siding with Yes man you'll be ok if you just murder everyone who is hostile to you. Now if you wanted to side with NCR or Legion you might be in trouble.

ezekial45

Banned
Questions about Camp Searchlight:

I was doing the quest with the guys in the storage cellar and they ended up turning against me when they got caught in the crossfire during a fight with ghouls. After i killed them, i took the keys to firehouse and search it and along with the police station. Problem is, i didn't find much besides ammo.

Did killing them cause me to miss something? Or did i just overlook something when inside both places. Oh, and i managed to kill the Radscorpion Queen. Scared the hell out of me. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
KoruptData said:
Ive been shunned by the NCR. I have 3 days to get good with them. What are ways todo this?

Pray

Or if you haven't been to Vegas yet, go to Vegas and do the story mission there.

I had the same thing happen to me and I spent the next 3 days doing nothing but NCR quests and upping my fame, but they came anyhow and attacked me 3 days later so I shot them all dead. Surprisingly Boone doesn't care if you kill them because you didn't start the fight. Even after I killed them the rest of NCR liked me because doing all those missions had made me in pretty good terms with the NCR by then!

daoster

Just beat the game with the
NCR
route...next time I'm going to make a Melee character and go down the
House
route...I'm also going to use Raul and Lily, two characters I haven't even touched!

It's probably me, since everybody seems to be going gaga over Veronica, but I really like Cass. Can't quite put my hand on it, but she's a really appealing character. Her ending was kinda funny..

And my ending for
Arcade
kind of sucked for him....I wonder if it would have been different if I had told him to quit the
Enclave
instead.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Well Ok then, Veronica is a
lesbian
? Pretty cool that it wasn't played up obnoxiously, she just brought it up when I asked about a
love interest

I also finished Veronica's Quest line... I think I may travel with Boone or someone else.

Salsa

Something strange happened today. The urge to play New Vegas didnt came until an hour an ago, and its 3 am. I stayed all day playing Shank instead :O

Probably cause im at camp mccarren doing lousy quests though. I think ill head right into the strip to see what all the fuzz is about tomorrow.

BlueTsunami said:
Well Ok then, Veronica is a
lesbian
? Pretty cool that it wasn't played up obnoxiously, she just brought it up when I asked about a
love interest

I also finished Veronica's Quest line... I think I may travel with Boone or someone else.

There's some other people who just happen to be
gay
and you can go through the game not even noticing. Boone's quest spoiler:
Manny's contempt for Carla and being upset about her "trying to take Boone away" makes more sense once you find out he is immune to Black Widow but not Confirmed Bachelor

kitch9

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Questions about Camp Searchlight:

I was doing the quest with the guys in the storage cellar and they ended up turning against me when they got caught in the crossfire during a fight with ghouls. After i killed them, i took the keys to firehouse and search it and along with the police station. Problem is, i didn't find much besides ammo.

Did killing them cause me to miss something? Or did i just overlook something when inside both places. Oh, and i managed to kill the Radscorpion Queen. Scared the hell out of me. :lol

What are you using to stop the rad sickness there?

njean777

I have a question for anybody that has helped them
Can i side with the brotherhood at the end? also can i get there armor?

jax (old)

Banned
daoster said:
Just beat the game with the
NCR
route...next time I'm going to make a Melee character and go down the
House
route...I'm also going to use Raul and Lily, two characters I haven't even touched!

It's probably me, since everybody seems to be going gaga over Veronica, but I really like Cass. Can't quite put my hand on it, but she's a really appealing character. Her ending was kinda funny..

And my ending for
Arcade
kind of sucked for him....I wonder if it would have been different if I had told him to quit the
Enclave
instead.

I used cass and cleared most of her missions by the end of the game. My version of her ending was fairly sensible.

so I've used EDE/Veronica/REx and Cassidy. I'm sitting here thinking I should start another game but I feel kind of spent. :p

I might play evil but I really struggled to make those choices in the game.

jax (old)

Banned
njean777 said:
I have a question for anybody that has helped them
Can i side with the brotherhood at the end? also can i get there armor?

The BOS really didn't factor too much into the end game - its centric to the 3 other main factions
I really didn't like how the NV story treated the BOS, in all the prior games, they were amazing.

And yes, to the latter question

njean777

Jax said:
The BOS really didn't factor too much into the end game - its centric to the 3 other main factions
I really didn't like how the NV story treated the BOS, in all the prior games, they were amazing.

Yeah me neither so far, I just started their quests. But i wonder
What if i kill the Caesar and the leader of NCR what would happen. MAybe go one man army or something. But if nothing happens then i may as well side with the NCR since i could really care less for the legion.

voltron

Oh shit.

Any reports of New Vegas causing RRoD in 360s? I just got one on my circa 2007 model Elite.

However it booted back up to the dashboard with no problems. A possible variable is when I got back to the dash I got that message that you see sporadically on Live that reads: "some marketplace content is not available etc".

Im thinking maybe some network thing might be the cause? Anyone hear of New Vegas causing hardware probs?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Question about an early quest:

The one where I'm supposed to find the wife's killer. I know who it is, and I can take them to the spot outside near the dinosaur, but I get no option to put a red hat on them. How do you do this? I noticed his friend is wearing a red hat... did I accidentally give it to him through dialog? If this happens, is there any way to get the hat back?

duckroll

FlyinJ said:

The one where I'm supposed to find the wife's killer. I know who it is, and I can take them to the spot outside near the dinosaur, but I get no option to put a red hat on them. How do you do this? I noticed his friend is wearing a red hat... did I accidentally give it to him through dialog? If this happens, is there any way to get the hat back?

You are the one who should be wearing the hat.

Zinga

Banned
FlyinJ said:

You are supposed to wear it, not the killer

Shinjitsu

Banned
voltron said:
Oh shit.

Any reports of New Vegas causing RRoD in 360s? I just got one on my circa 2007 model Elite.

However it booted back up to the dashboard with no problems. A possible variable is when I got back to the dash I got that message that you see sporadically on Live that reads: "some marketplace content is not available etc".

Im thinking maybe some network thing might be the cause? Anyone hear of New Vegas causing hardware probs?

Do people seriously think that specific games cause RROD?

Had a bit of a scare in the Heartache By The Number quest.

Told Cass to wait outside before I went in to do some stealth espionage. (I also have the quest where you bring her in to get slaughtered active..). Anyway, stole a key, picked a safe, got the papers, and stole every oweapon in the joint to boot, got outside, Cass wasn't there. Looked around a bit, went back in the store and she was standing way in the back of the store cornered behind John-Baptiste who was staring right at her. Walked up asked her to follow me, left without incident.

Max

I am not Max
House quest question
how am I supposed to sabotage the BoS hideout without high enough science or sneak?

jax (old)

Banned
HadesGigas said:
Had a bit of a scare in the Heartache By The Number quest.

Told Cass to wait outside before I went in to do some stealth espionage. (I also have the quest where you bring her in to get slaughtered active..). Anyway, stole a key, picked a safe, got the papers, and stole every oweapon in the joint to boot, got outside, Cass wasn't there. Looked around a bit, went back in the store and she was standing way in the back of the store cornered behind John-Baptiste who was staring right at her. Walked up asked her to follow me, left without incident.

The fact that he can't see her really says how broken the AI/engine is...

Jax said:
The fact that he can't see her really says how broken the AI/engine is...

To be fair he doesn't know what she looks like, I don't think. But yeah, he wouldn't see her even if he did...

And the part that seemed so scary was that I had never seen him in a different spot than standing next to his sister before that.

jax (old)

Banned
HadesGigas said:
To be fair he doesn't know what she looks like, I don't think. But yeah, he wouldn't see her even if he did...

And the part that seemed so scary was that I had never seen him in a different spot than standing next to his sister before that.

um, if you talk to him with her in your party, he immediately recognises her. so....... :/

duckroll

Jax said:
um, if you talk to him with her in your party, he immediately recognises her. so....... :/

What you're not seeing is that when the dialog is initiated, the courier uses a secret eye signal to let Jean-Baptist know that the woman with you is Cass. It's much more fun justifying bugs and AI lapses in a RPG with some imagination. :)

NoRéN said:
Anything you recommend checking out there? I got sidetracked with Camp McCarran.

Nothing special so far. It is big area with multiple loading zones and many people to talk to. I did couple of quests but mainly exploring and unlocking quests.

Xevren

Max said:
House quest question
how am I supposed to sabotage the BoS hideout without high enough science or sneak?

You don't need that high of sneak to pickpocket what you need to sabotage the place, need the keycards from the elder, head paladin, and the head scribe. Then use the terminal next to the self destruct terminal to get the password to activate it.

Adamm

This has probably been answer before but -

I didnt really play Fallout 3 (play for a few hours then quit) - Would it be a bad idea for me to get New Vegas?

Nose Master

Adamm said:

I didnt really play Fallout 3 (play for a few hours then quit) - Would it be a bad idea for me to get New Vegas?

It'd be a great idea, actually. NV is what F3 should have been.

PS: Where is
vault 11
? I don't want to look it up online and come across spoilers as to what it actually is.

Jintor

Jax said:

That's probably why tbh. BoS were key to F1 and F3 and played a decent part in F2. I prefer this focus on the NCR (although could have done with a more balanced look at the Legion... that is to say, more Legion territory to explore)

Adamm

Nose Master said:
It'd be a great idea, actually. NV is what F3 should have been.

vault 11
? I don't want to look it up online and come across spoilers as to what it actually is.
Thanks!

Will buy today :D

Dresden

Nose Master said:
vault 11
North of Helios One, across the desert, a small wooden door.

zlatko

Banned
Adamm said:

Honestly if you can't get it for the cheap or rent it you have a good chance to come out disappointed.

I thought F3 was a much better overall game in many ways than New Vegas. Others feel the same way, and almost everyone here can tell you Vegas is a buggy mess to the point where if you are unlucky it can be game breaking. It could suck the fun right out of it.

Even without bugs though the overall game I still thought was just "meh." It felt a lot like just an expansion pack for Fallout 3, or like DLC that's over priced.

I'd say the game is about a 7/10 for me in my book, and that Fallout 3 was more of an 8.5.

I got my copy for 30 bucks though, so it was worth the price paid. Just be wary that if F3 didn't get you into the right mood, then I don't think New Vegas will do that either. F3 had a better start into its world and setting compared to Vegas, and the places where Vegas does start to shine is later on in the experience.

Ventrue

I will offer the counterpoint that Obsidian's style (in writing and in general) made it a much more interesting experience for me than FO3. Played about 25 hours of New Vegas, made it to maybe 8 in FO3.

JoeBoy101

Had a really weird bug. I've gotten the Chip back and am running around Vegas, but when I got to my suite, the entire game turns blue. Like a blue filter comes over everything. I go back outside and everything is blue there too. Won't go away, even if I reload. Goddam bugs.

TTG

So I made my way to the powder gang prison as part of find a sheriff for the town side quest(don't remember the exact name)... aand these guys don't like me very much. Got past the first room(
where I rescued the future sheriff
). Any reason to keep pushing forward to the administration building etc? Will I be cutting future side quests off if I kill them all? I can't speak to this "Eddy" guy without setting off the alarms; disguises don't work so well up close, I guess.

Pooya

Pop On Arrival said:
anyone know which part of the map I can find the brotherhood of steel in? Can't seem to run into them.

They are in Hidden Valley bunker, it's around center of the map, left side of Helios One, there is a sandstorm over there at night. if you've found Neil's Shack or Black Mountain, it's south of there, not too far from there.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ended up not getting into the strip at all tonight. Did a bunch of stuff in Freeside, then Freeside led me to Jacobstown. I did some stuff there and ended up going to Vault 22 because it was close.

Top Bottom