• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

wait, it's been patched on consoles? i need more information about the PS3 version and if it's relatively glitch free now.. is it?

i haven't bought the game yet because of all the bad reports. i got completely screwed with Fallout 3 DLC on my PS3, so i'm not giving them any money before i know for certain New Vegas is fine on PS3 and doesn't turn into a slideshow or freeze my console every 2 minutes...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Trick_GSF said:
Other then Freeside and The Strip, there were no settlements that I would call memorable. The Capital Wasteland had Rivet City, Underworld, Tennpenny Tower, Megaton, etc.

Most places in NV are small outposts, with a few small buildings and the odd NPC to give quests/sell/etc.
Going to have to disagree with this.

Lakitu

st5fu
Feeling better, so I'm going to kick on with the game.

One thing... regarding the
E-DE quest. It says I have to give it some keywords to access some old Enclave data.
. What do I do?

Trick_GSF

Banned
water_wendi said:
:lol Surprised Nipton didnt make the list.

Wasn't Nipton just a
few buildings with crossified powder gangers?

Novaq would make it over Nipton, but even that was just a few shacks and a plastic dinosaur.

Wallach said:
There's got to be a way to earn
NCR Ranger Combat Armor.
I refuse to believe Obsidian would be so idiotic.

As far as I know there's not any legit way to get it. I posted a couple pages back how to get it via killing them and not taking a hit to rep.

RadicalRad said:
I found that Camp Golf was the best location. You have to get to a certain point in the game for them to start spawning. I *think* they started spawning for me after I did a ton for the NCR, i think around liked or idolized. I've also heard its attached to the progress of the main story.

You'll need two things:
A Stealth Boy (If you're fast and efficient with quick-save you can get 2-3 rangers with one stealth boy)
Frag Grenades and/or frag Mines

The trick is to make sure absolutely no one sees you commit the deed. In camp Golf there are 1-2 rangers that will walk out the main door and go around the corner of the house. That's a good place to do it. However, the best spot I found is in the building itself. The kitchen is a good place... if you wait for people to path in and out you can easily get a ranger on his own, he'll even have the decency to sit for you. Also I found that you shouldn't panic and jump out of crouch as soon as you get it on them just slowly creep away and just let him blow up.

Lakitu

st5fu
The towns I've been to so far- Goodsprings, Novac, Primm... are definitely better in terms of design. Navigating Megaton and Rivet City got really cumbersome sometimes.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Trick_GSF said:
Wasn't Nipton just a
few buildings with crossified powder gangers?
First sight of
the Legion and Vulpes Inculta, the "I WON THE MOTHER FUCKIN' LOT-TER-EY!" guy, Boxcars was good for a chuckle "Am I okay? I'm crippled! They beat my fucking legs with hammers, man!" :lol

R2D4

Banned
water_wendi said:
First sight of
the Legion and Vulpes Inculta, the "I WON THE MOTHER FUCKIN' LOT-TER-EY!" guy, Boxcars was good for a chuckle "Am I okay? I'm crippled! They beat my fucking legs with hammers, man!" :lol

Don't forget the
burnt corpses of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru

Nipton ruled!

Trick_GSF

Banned
I WON THE MOTHER FUCKIN' LOT-TER-EY!

I blew his head off after closing diolog. The annoying man of NV? For me at least.

duckroll said:
Novac is one of my favorites because it has a dinosaur. Dinosaurs rock.

True. Novac was an ok settlement. Nothing against it, at least.

Enco

Found my first dinosaur figurine :D

Really need a house as I'm starting to drop lots of stuff due to the weight.

I'm hoping to make the robot the new sheriff for Primm. Just need to find the necessary products. He seems like a cool guy and I don't like the thought of an ex-sheriff con running a town. Does it make a difference to the game who you pick?

I havent found too many towns I really enjoy. The Great Khan settlement is kind of weak, as is Cottonwood Cove (Legion), they're basically just huts and people, no shops or inns or pubs or whatever else. Goodsprings is a solid town, but it doesnt hold my attention the way Megaton did. Mojave Outpost has the kind of stuff that makes for a good town (shops, quests, a couple people to talk to), but it's only two buildings so barely even qualifies. I can see where the other poster is coming from when he says that the "towns" leave a little bit to be desired.

There have been a few though. Camp Forlorn Hope really gives off the whole besieged and overrun last defense vibe, and has all the fixings of a good town: the doctors office, some barracks, a command HQ, quartermasters supply, etc. Nelson across the gap, not so much. It's basically a bunch of burnt out buildings and single room structures. Nipton and Searchlight had potential to be good towns, but Searchlight
is overrun with ghouls and scorpions and is just a monster spawn, not a town at all. (Warning. Beware of the town's Fire Hall). Its a great little area for a fight though.
and Nipton
was completely emptied out aside from the one guy in the store with the busted legs and a couple crucified guys.

My problem with most of the towns out in the desert is that they tend to be these once in, once out, and forget it exists kinds of places. I have found very few where there are actually people to talk to, most just have a generic one-liner and that's it. I felt much more attached to places like Megaton or Tenpenny Tower than I do to any of the small camps we find in New Vegas. The only one I've returned to with any consistency is the Mojave Outpost. I'm sure I'll spend a fair amount of time in Vegas once I arrive though. It damn well better make up for the lackluster communities I've found thus far.

EDIT: Also, is there any way to get onto the eastern side of the river? I found one pass that was loaded up with like 4-5 deathclaws so turned away, but is that really the only route in there? I figure Caesar's camp has to be over there but I have no idea how to reach it. There are so many invisible walls everywhere preventing you from climbing mountains or exploring properly. I just want to pay my respects to my fearless leader (and hopefully find a proper town that I can chill with all my Legion buddies in)

EDIT 2: So can't just find it by accident then eh? That's unfortunate, guess I'll have to settle down and actually do some quest progression rather than wandering around aimlessly. And I do so enjoy wandering around aimlessly...

astroturfing said:
wait, it's been patched on consoles? i need more information about the PS3 version and if it's relatively glitch free now.. is it?

i haven't bought the game yet because of all the bad reports. i got completely screwed with Fallout 3 DLC on my PS3, so i'm not giving them any money before i know for certain New Vegas is fine on PS3 and doesn't turn into a slideshow or freeze my console every 2 minutes...

PS3 version with the new patch is atrocious, I would say I have had easily over 20 crashes since its been installed, im typing this as my PS3 is restarting now after my third crash so far today...

Trick_GSF

Banned
Pyke Presco said:
EDIT: Also, is there any way to get onto the eastern side of the river? I found one pass that was loaded up with like 4-5 deathclaws so turned away, but is that really the only route in there? I figure Caesar's camp has to be over there but I have no idea how to reach it. There are so many invisible walls everywhere preventing you from climbing mountains or exploring properly. I just want to pay my respects to my fearless leader (and hopefully find a proper town that I can chill with all my Legion buddies in)

If you're talking about the place I think you are,
you take a boat from "Cottonwood Cove" to get there. Main story line will get you there at some point.

My ps3 version has started to pause every minute or so a split second, it's patched and was never doing it before last night, this was just walking around as normal too ? My delete the game data and try again unless there is a different fix ?

also;
where is the key for the ncr prison thing that the ncr correctional facilty ? I took out all the guys, but one guy with a cleaver was frozen, i rebooted the game and he was alive, but nobody had a key on them....

i decided to cut through the moutants on my way to nipton but had to bail because i
ended up in scorpian gulch with tonnes of giant rad scorps
I currently have the cowboy repeater and teh service rifle as my weapons of choice, and like to play with normalish guns, are their some decent guns ahead
i'm on my way to nipton at the start of the game
because radscorpians seem to eat my rounds for breakfast ?

That juddering is it loading up areas as your moving around, it did it before they released the patch (i've noticed it has reduced since I patched)

Finally got to start playing this at last! I bought the game day one, but had the audio problems that others have reported. Tried all the fixes but none worked. I figured a Windows reinstall would sort it out, and as I was planning on upgrading soon anyway I decided to do it all this week and get it out of the way.

I'm only a few hours in and currently level 3, playing on very hard/hardcore. Really enjoying it so far, but 2 minor gripes:

1. It's way too bright at night. Needs to be darker. Fallout 3 had it about right.

2. I see Obsidian has the same love that Bethesda has for putting invisible blocks and walls in stupid places. I'm in Primm and have taken out a couple of escaped convicts. One of them is on the path above the road I'm on, but when I go to loot him I discover that not only is vehicle wreckage blocking each side of the path, but there are invisible blocks in place as well so I can't even climb over the wrecks!

(Apologies for the lousy labels, didn't have time to do decent ones)

2vmva01.png

This is no good dammit, I'm a lowly level 3 and I need all the loot I can get. I worked hard for those 2 kills, so it's rightfully mine, and no level designer is going to stop me from claiming my hard earned property!

So, after a bit of wiggling about and jumping all over the wrecks/blocks, it seems that there is also a block running the length of the edge of the path. However, I'm in luck! It doesn't go all the way to the edge, so I'm able to jump on the tiny bit of path that's not covered and slide along to my victim's corpse ...

28red8h.png

... but I can't get near enough! I need to somehow get his body closer to me. Or, seeing as this is the Gamebryo engine we're taking about here, any part of his body will do. So, it's time for a cunning plan. One involving ingenuity, patience, and a delicate touch ...

1r90gk.png

... or better still, a well placed stick of dynamite :lol

I jump down onto the road to investigate the lumps of body that flew past me, and sure enough ...

e5qr9l.png

... and LOOT!

2la4ltl.png

Ha ha, fuck you Obsidian, it's all mine!

Trick_GSF

Banned
I see Obsidian has the same love that Bethesda has for putting invisible blocks and walls in stupid places

This was a real pain in NV. Walking for ages up a hill just to find a small rock you cannot jump over is painful.

Raxus

I have barely any melee skill and the Oh Boy! rules. 7/8 companions down I just need to retrieve the last (and arguably hardest) one.

I still can't complete
"I Put a Spell on You" since the guy I was supposed to catch in the radio tower refuses to show up. I am waiting by the tower and he isn't around the base so I think he got stuck in nether space making the quest impossible to complete.

avcables

Banned
Pyke Presco said:
I havent found too many towns I really enjoy. The Great Khan settlement is kind of weak, as is Cottonwood Cove (Legion), they're basically just huts and people, no shops or inns or pubs or whatever else. Goodsprings is a solid town, but it doesnt hold my attention the way Megaton did. Mojave Outpost has the kind of stuff that makes for a good town (shops, quests, a couple people to talk to), but it's only two buildings so barely even qualifies. I can see where the other poster is coming from when he says that the "towns" leave a little bit to be desired.

There have been a few though. Camp Forlorn Hope really gives off the whole besieged and overrun last defense vibe, and has all the fixings of a good town: the doctors office, some barracks, a command HQ, quartermasters supply, etc. Nelson across the gap, not so much. It's basically a bunch of burnt out buildings and single room structures. Nipton and Searchlight had potential to be good towns, but Searchlight
is overrun with ghouls and scorpions and is just a monster spawn, not a town at all. (Warning. Beware of the town's Fire Hall). Its a great little area for a fight though.
and Nipton
was completely emptied out aside from the one guy in the store with the busted legs and a couple crucified guys.

My problem with most of the towns out in the desert is that they tend to be these once in, once out, and forget it exists kinds of places. I have found very few where there are actually people to talk to, most just have a generic one-liner and that's it. I felt much more attached to places like Megaton or Tenpenny Tower than I do to any of the small camps we find in New Vegas. The only one I've returned to with any consistency is the Mojave Outpost. I'm sure I'll spend a fair amount of time in Vegas once I arrive though. It damn well better make up for the lackluster communities I've found thus far.

EDIT 2: So can't just find it by accident then eh? That's unfortunate, guess I'll have to settle down and actually do some quest progression rather than wandering around aimlessly. And I do so enjoy wandering around aimlessly...
Just so you know, that wall is easily accessible by jumping off the downsloping road. You can sort of walk on the edge of it.

Cool story, though.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Raxus said:
I have barely any melee skill and the Oh Boy! rules. 7/8 companions down I just need to retrieve the last (and arguably hardest) one.

I still can't complete
"I Put a Spell on You" since the guy I was supposed to catch in the radio tower refuses to show up. I am waiting by the tower and he isn't around the base so I think he got stuck in nether space making the quest impossible to complete.

This happend to me. I waited till about 1:AM after about 5 tries gave up and started walking back towards the base, I then saw him walking towards me. The next night, I got him.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
About Nipton.. anyone think people are out of their mind when they say
that the town is an allusion to The Lottery? The story is completely different than what happens in Nipton. The only thing that is the same is that there is a lottery. This is less to do with the story and more to do with the fact that the real town of Nipton lies on the state line and people go there from Nevada to buy lottery tickets (no lotteries in Nevada).

Jamesearlcash said:
i decided to cut through the moutants on my way to nipton but had to bail because i
ended up in scorpian gulch with tonnes of giant rad scorps
I currently have the cowboy repeater and teh service rifle as my weapons of choice, and like to play with normalish guns, are their some decent guns ahead
i'm on my way to nipton at the start of the game
because radscorpians seem to eat my rounds for breakfast ?

I have found that the repeater gets the job done well enough. Shoot radscorpions in the stinger.

kyo_daikun said:
PS3 version with the new patch is atrocious, I would say I have had easily over 20 crashes since its been installed, im typing this as my PS3 is restarting now after my third crash so far today...

oh... well..... fuck. i'm not buying any game of that kind of garbage quality until i can find it very cheap used. i understand it can be playable for some or even many people, but since Fallout 3 DLC was in fact unplayable for me, i'm not gonna be fooled again.

would have bought this new on day 1 if it had been QA'd properly. fix your shit already Bethesda/Obsidian. do what Rockstar does and just fucking DELAY THE GAME if it's broken. fix it for a fucking year if that's what it takes.

this makes me so damn angry :( this is exactly the type of game i would LOVE more than anything, but i don't have the tolerance for restarting my console all the time :( it's been two whole years since the last Fallout on the same engine, and it's just as bad or even worse for some? how is that acceptable at all..??

Taking a trip to Primm this weekend for a geology field trip. I'll see which landmarks I can make out....gonna stay at the Buffalo Bill aka Bison Steve hotel :lol :lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Material541 said:
Taking a trip to Primm this weekend for a geology field trip. I'll see which landmarks I can make out....gonna stay at the Buffalo Bill aka Bison Steve hotel :lol :lol
i dont think Bonnie and Clydes Death Car is there any longer. It was at Terribles i think.

edit: saw these posted at the rpgcodex and just smh :lol

29ern9e.jpg

2z5uhqv.jpg

This one doesnt have nudity but i wouldnt want it popping up if i was at work so.. NSFW..
[URL="http://i52.tinypic.com/qp4c2d.jpg"]http://i52.tinypic.com/qp4c2d.jpg[/URL][IMG]

So ridiculous :lol

miladesn said:
Felicia Day is really great in this game, hope she does more voice acting for video game in future.

just wear a
radiation suit
. >_>

I actually had made it through Vault 34 okay after discovering a generous container of Rad-X and RadAway packs somewhere in the vault. My frustration, however, came from my inability to navigate to
the armory (for Veronica's quest)
and then the exit like I had a huge brainfart.

Last night I found another companion, Cass. She's awesome, sassy, and a drunk. I am in love.

Cheech

I returned this save-game-eating pile of shit (360) to Amazon this AM. I don't know what their official return policy for opened games is, but I'm about to find out.

stupei

water_wendi said:
About Nipton.. anyone think people are out of their mind when they say
that the town is an allusion to The Lottery? The story is completely different than what happens in Nipton. The only thing that is the same is that there is a lottery. This is less to do with the story and more to do with the fact that the real town of Nipton lies on the state line and people go there from Nevada to buy lottery tickets (no lotteries in Nevada).

No, I saw the same comparison.
The whole message in The Lottery isn't just that there is a lottery, but that people let it happen. They are fine with innocents dying, just as long as they stay alive. When you talk to Vulpes Inculta he straight up says that there were more towns people than there were members of the Legion, but they all just went along with what they were told, praying that they would be the one to live. Each one of them knew that if he or she was the first to challenge the Legion, they would obviously be killed right away, even if it led to the rest of the town overtaking them. They preferred to take the chance at being the one to win the ticket and go free rather than doing something that would likely save others but draw attention to themselves.

The moral of The Lottery is that good people can be persuaded to allow horrible things to happen because they fear for their own safety. Vulpes Inculta says those exact same motivations of fear and self-preservation are the reason he thinks the people of Nipton deserved to die.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
stupei said:
No, I saw the same comparison.
The whole message in The Lottery isn't just that there is a lottery, but that people let it happen. They are fine with innocents dying, just as long as they stay alive. When you talk to Vulpes Inculta he straight up says that there were more towns people than there were members of the Legion, but they all just went along with what they were told, praying that they would be the one to live. Each one of them knew that if he or she was the first to challenge the Legion, they would obviously be killed right away, even if it led to the rest of the town overtaking them. They preferred to take the chance at being the one to win the ticket and go free rather than doing something that would likely save others but draw attention to themselves.

The moral of The Lottery is that good people can be persuaded to allow horrible things to happen because they fear for their own safety. Vulpes Inculta says those exact same motivations of fear and self-preservation are the reason he thinks the people of Nipton deserved to die.
Eh. i havent read The Lottery in a long time but it was chilling because there is this modern town that practices ritual sacrifice to ensure a bountiful harvest. i didnt really take that away from Nipton.

Hyunkel6

Is the "I Put a Spell on You" quest glitched? I
defused the bomb on the monorail
, but it still explodes when I get out of it....

Pooya

25 hours and I've only finished 25 quests and I'm level 18. I haven't done anything in strip yet, not a single quest for Mr. House, I think I'm going to hit the level cap before finishing the game :\ , I can't help it, I find doing side-quests more interesting than the main quest.

Dresden

water_wendi said:
i dont think Bonnie and Clydes Death Car is there any longer. It was at Terribles i think.

http://i55.tinypic.com/29ern9e.jpg[/IMG]
http://i54.tinypic.com/2z5uhqv.jpg[/IMG]

This one doesnt have nudity but i wouldnt want it popping up if i was at work so.. NSFW..
http://i52.tinypic.com/qp4c2d.jpg

So ridiculous :lol[/QUOTE]
...smh

stupei

water_wendi said:
Eh. i havent read The Lottery in a long time but it was chilling because there is this modern town that practices ritual sacrifice to ensure a bountiful harvest. i didnt really take that away from Nipton.

Well of course, on the surface they aren't at all the same. But what is discussed thematically is really really similar, and I can't believe it's not a comparison that never crossed their mind. Even if it wasn't the original intention, the guy talks about
winning the lottery. They would have noticed the comparison.
The Lottery is about how modern day ritual sacrifice is creepy and The Crucible is about how what happened in Salem was totally messed up, but they're also both about the human condition in general and the horrible shit people do and let happen when fear overwhelms common sense.

Pooya

water_wendi said:

stuff

So ridiculous :lol

These sure look ridiculous but they have lots of details :eek:

if somebody mod ^this into the game, I will gladly download and play if it is good :p .

Top Bottom