• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

ezekial45

Banned
Lakitu said:
I'm level 19 now, what level should I tackle
Black Mountain
?

I'm level 27 and i still haven't gone there.

Wow, i shouldn't have picked the Swift Learner perk. I feel like i'm going through the game too fast.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Digital Foundry

PS3:

- 720p w/ no anti-aliasing
- Higher texture detail
- More ambient sounds and higher sound quality

Xbox 360:

- 720p w/ 4x multisample anti-aliasing
- Smoother framerate and less geometry/texture streaming issues.

PS3 version also has no tearing. The tearing on 360 in many areas is pretty annoying.

ezekial45 said:
I'm level 27 and i still haven't gone there.

Wow, i shouldn't have picked the Swift Learner perk. I feel like i'm going through the game too fast.

Same, I regret taking that perk. My to-do list was still a mile long by the time I reached level 30. Ugh.

I met this guy in a cave who said to me "Thank God, I thought I'd never see a human face again."

These were my options to respond with:

untitled-1nhh0.jpg

:lol :lol

Ledsen

So I've played ~9 hours, lvl 6 and this is what I've explored so far (a little cut/paste in paint):

ajp2sz.jpg

Can you tell I'm really taking my time exploring everything along my way? :lol

Finalow

Foliorum Viridum said:
I met this guy in a cave who said to me "Thank God, I thought I'd never see a human face again."

untitled-1nhh0.jpg

:lol

now i've finished the primm's quest, i'm going to see if i can repair ED-E ...

Arjen

About 25hours in, and still haven't been to the strip and i have a buch of sidequest lined up.
I'm really loving this game
Just did Vault 22, that place was fucking creepy.
Funniest moment so far.
Meeting Tabitha on Black Mountain, the wig and the glasse had me in tears:lol

Thrakier

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Digital Foundry

PS3:

- Higher texture detail

Xbox 360:

How noticable is that in real life conditions? I guess PS3 aliasing is pretty bad?

ACE 1991

So is the consensus on this game "inferior to Fallout 3 given the bugs?" I'm currently playing through fallout 3 for the first time and really loving it, and am wondering if I should just wait for some more patches before getting New Vegas.

Lakitu

st5fu
Damn... such good loot on
Black Mountain. I got an Annabelle Missile Launcher and a couple of Heavy Incinerators. Jackpot.

Thrakier said:
How noticable is that in real life conditions? I guess PS3 aliasing is pretty bad?

Definetly noticed the texture streaming issues, seen large areas where the textures haven't loaded properly but the latest patch seems to have reduced the frequency a lot.

ACE 1991 said:
So is the consensus on this game "inferior to Fallout 3 given the bugs?" I'm currently playing through fallout 3 for the first time and really loving it, and am wondering if I should just wait for some more patches before getting New Vegas.
This game is superior to Fallout 3 in every way, even with the occasional bug.

jax (old)

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Digital Foundry

PS3:

- Higher texture detail

Xbox 360:

watched.

the PS3 video does stop for 2-3 seconds while data loads.
the x360 one screen tears like a bitch.

Wow. what a piece of shit on the consoles

so glad I played this on pc.

epmode

ACE 1991 said:
I prefer thinking of it as "Significantly better than Fallout 3 but it sure could use another patch"

Darkshier said:
This game is superior to Fallout 3 in every way, even with the occasional bug.

After 3 hours in the game I would disagree.

After 10 hours would agree 100000%

Game has become a hell of a lot more interesting than F3, the missions are better, the followers are great (tho make the game a little too easy) and the levelling system makes you think a lot more about what kind of character you build.

Shinjitsu

Banned
ACE 1991 said:

Don't even bother with Fallout 3.

After about 10 hours it began to dawn on me how much more content and interesting outcomes and interactions there are in this game compared to FO3. The scale and quality is truly staggering once you get into it.

Celsior

kyo_daikun said:
After 3 hours in the game I would disagree.

After 10 hours would agree 100000%

Game has become a hell of a lot more interesting than F3, the missions are better, the followers are great (tho make the game a little too easy) and the levelling system makes you think a lot more about what kind of character you build.
The beginning of this game isn't as interesting as fallout 3, plus a main town was just around the comer. The first main town here is probably novac.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
After about 10 hours it began to dawn on me how much more content and interesting outcomes and interactions there are in this game compared to FO3. The scale and quality is truly staggering once you get into it.

Yup exactly, at first your pushed in a certain direction and it doesn't feel like fallout. then you get to the 10 hour mark and your just wandering everywhere and the game just opens up (I have like 10 quests on the go at the moment)

The only serious thing about the game I would gripe about at the moment (after it has decicded not to crash on me 10 times a session now thank god) is the item glitchyness, I walk into a house and all the stuff I want has randomly fallen through the floor... its really annoying, if this gets fixed in the next patch I will be over the moon.

GDGF

Soothsayer
ACE 1991 said:

Hell no. This game is so much better.

sangreal

I thought you could continue playing after the credits, is that not the case? Only option I seem to have is to play from my last save.

Also, what was the reward for beating it on hardcore?

sangreal said:
I thought you could continue playing after the credits, is that not the case? Only option I seem to have is to play from my last save.

Also, what was the reward for beating it on hardcore?

No replay after the credits, probably going to be like F3 and you need a dlc like Broken steel.

sangreal

kyo_daikun said:
No replay after the credits, probably going to be like F3 and you need a dlc like Broken steel.

Ah, that's dumb. Didn't think they'd do that again. Time to start a new playthrough anyway

TeTr1C

Boone was killed yesterday at Cottonwood Cove, during a huge battle with the Legion. We were sneaking into the camp at night, and Boone decided to run ahead when he saw an enemy and have a machete fight with the sleeping one in the tent. After surviving that, all hell broke loose, and while I was occupied with blowing Legion's heads off, he died in the tent. I cleared the cove and went back to his body, propped him up in the corner of the tent in sitting position, made a wall of crates around him in the corner, and put his red beret on top the crates as a mourning site. If he doesn't disappear I can go back and visit him. :lol

Now to get Veronica.

ACE 1991 said:

From what I've played of New Vegas so far, it's better than Fallout 3. F3 is an awesome game though, so if I were you I'd finish it before playing NV. The main downside to NV for me has been that night time is basically the same as daytime but with a night sky. The landscape is lit up way too much at night, completely killing any sense of forboding that a wasteland in this setting should be giving you at night.

Also, I hear that the radio station isn't as good as Fallout 3's. I wouldn't know as I haven't really felt the urge to listen to it. A bad sign maybe?

GDGF

Soothsayer
TeTr1C said:
Boone was killed yesterday at Cottonwood Cove, during a huge battle with the Legion. We were sneaking into the camp at night, and Boone decided to run ahead when he saw an enemy and have a machete fight with the sleeping one in the tent. After surviving that, all hell broke loose, and while I was occupied with blowing Legion's heads off, he died in the tent. I cleared the cove and went back to his body, propped him up in the corner of the tent in sitting position, made a wall of crates around him in the corner, and put his red beret on top the crates as a mourning site. If he doesn't disappear I can go back and visit him. :lol

I would have followed you my brother, my captain, my king.

Dresden

Time for my last playthrough. After this, I'm going to be done with the game--for a year--at which point I'll come back and see what crazy mods (and, I suppose. DLC) have come out.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Barberetti said:
Also, I hear that the radio station isn't as good as Fallout 3's. I wouldn't know as I haven't really felt the urge to listen to it. A bad sign maybe?

Speaking of which, anybody know if there's a mod that will let me listen to Fallout 3's radio station in New Vegas? I do kinda miss "I don't want to set the world on fireeeeee..."

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Anyone know what's up with the
Brotherhood bunker near Nelson?
The Fallout wiki site says it got inexplicably locked with the latest patch, but there is no key associated with it in the G.E.C.K. There's a repair skill book in there that I was relying on to cap my repair skill.

DarthWoo said:
Anyone know what's up with the
Brotherhood bunker near Nelson?
The Fallout wiki site says it got inexplicably locked with the latest patch, but there is no key associated with it in the G.E.C.K. There's a repair skill book in there that I was relying on to cap my repair skill.

Future DLC I would bet :lol

Dilly

Banned
I know that I'm going to miss the things that are new in New Vegas if I ever go back to Fallout 3.

I love the aim down sight.

Benedict said:
Yes, but it feels like I'm cheating everytime I do it... :(
Fuck it. It's Obsidians fault for having my dude run so god damn slow. That and the wasteland in New Vegas is much more unforgiving. I am level 14 and am still getting owned by death claws. New Vegas is a COMPLETELY different beast than FO:3. It actually forces me to do quests to level up so I can explore.

Wallach

Dilly said:
I know that I'm going to miss the things that are new in New Vegas if I ever go back to Fallout 3.

I love the aim down sight.

I do too, though I find it kind of jarring when you come across a weapon where it isn't implemented for some reason.

Celsior said:
The beginning of this game isn't as interesting as fallout 3, plus a main town was just around the comer. The first main town here is probably novac.

The beginning of this game straight up sucks. It picks up though.

Wallach said:
I do too, though I find it kind of jarring when you come across a weapon where it isn't implemented for some reason.

Laser pistol is the main one i've noticed so far, why wouldn't it have a sight?

Lakitu

st5fu
I just love smoking bad guys in a distance with my Ratslayer and Boone with his sniper. So good :D

Edit: Why can't I aquire
Veronica
to come on my travels with me, she keeps on saying she wants to go with me and I ask her to come but then it gives me the dialogue option which says sorry but I can't take you right now. And there's no one with me either when I do that. Does something have to trigger?

Wallach

kyo_daikun said:
Laser pistol is the main one i've noticed so far, why wouldn't it have a sight?

I don't know. I don't think the stock laser rifle does either.

I was especially annoyed with the missile launcher. The only mod for it adds a sight on the side which you'd think would add that exact functionality to the weapon and it doesn't.

Lakitu said:
I just love smoking bad guys in a distance with my Ratslayer and Boone with his sniper. So good :D

It's so satisfying taking out enemies from hundreds of feet away using the iron sights. Obsidian really did an amazing job of managing the Guns skill in regards to non-VATS shooting.

Lakitu said:

Edit: Why can't I aquire
Veronica
to come on my travels with me, she keeps on saying she wants to go with me and I ask her to come but then it gives me the dialogue option which says sorry but I can't take you right now. And there's no one with me either when I do that. Does something have to trigger?

Is it something to do with the
Brotherhood of steel conversation? I think your IQ has to be a certain level for it to trigger or something

Lakitu

st5fu
kyo_daikun said:
Is it something to do with the
Brotherhood of steel conversation? I think your IQ has to be a certain level for it to trigger or something

Well,
she asked me what I thought of the Brotherhood of Steel and I responded with something like 'I believe in what they do.' and then we just finished the conversation with her wanting to come with me.

Now when I talk to her, no other conversation prompts come up besides asking her to join up with me again.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
disappeared said:
It can get exciting quick if you
team up with the Powder Gangers and take out GoodSprings.
Yeah, I plan on doing that on my next playthough. Here's how I'm doing it:

First run (currently on): Guns/Energy Weapons/Locks and Science/Hardcore Mode (intellectual, tries to stay the good path)

Second run: Melee/Unarmed/Strength etc./No Hardcore Mode/Wild Wasteland (dumb brute who does exactly what everyone tells him to do).

Third run: Any loose ends for trophies/DLC run.

Darkwater

Foliorum Viridum said:

untitled-1nhh0.jpg

I couldn't help myself that time. I totally boogedy-boo'd the poor fellow. :')

Reminds me of Marshall yelling that to Lily in the first episode of How I Met Your Mother..

GDGF

Soothsayer
disappeared said:
It can get exciting quick if you
team up with the Powder Gangers and take out GoodSprings.

I loved the flipside of that mission.
Getting everybody's help and having a showdown in the middle of town against the Powder Gangers was awesome!
This whole game's been exciting since jump IMO.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I wandered into Cottonwood cove. and was able to clear out Legion there. Then I walk up the road (I came down from the cliff when I found it) and I find a NCR station. Seems I could have gotten a quest for taking out Cottonwood cove. Did I miss out?

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:
Those Supermuties were still kicking my ass at level 20. I suck.

If it weren't for
Boone and E-DE
they would have destroyed me. I fast-travelled there by myself just to get
Raul
only to find the Super Mutants back and give me an arse-whooping.

Top Bottom