• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Kruhex

Is it my imagination that Fallout 3 had more quests to do in those random offbeat locations? Each random place I now go to is just scenery now, no quests.

markot

Banned
Soooooo... trying to get to the securiton vault at the Fort is really hard when the legion wants to kill you.... I thought that they mark of kaisar would give me safe passage >.<

Also, how do I get to the remant? I know where their base is, but I there is no way to get inside >.>! I want the armour, I cant wear BOS stuff cause then the NCR just shoots on site...

NoRéN

Shinjitsu said:
Drink water and eat food. Take any doctors bags you find.

MrBelmontvedere said:
it's not that different, just keep a close eye on your H20/FOD/SLP/RAD stats. you'll probably die a bit more.

duckroll said:
Personally, hardcore is the only way I'll ever play this game. It's not even an option as far as I'm concerned. It's not about making the game harder, or adding challenge. It's about playing the game the way it is designed. Hardcore just adds so much to the roleplaying experience it is simply pointless to play without it on. With Hardcore mode on, it gives additional meaning to all food and drink items, and it gives additional meaning to many other items as well (drugs, healing items, etc). The extra layer of immersion and the additional gameplay elements that comes with it add a lot to the game experience and I see no reason to do without it at all.
Thank you all for the tips and commentary.
Duckroll, you summed up how I predicted I would feel about hardcore mode. Im still a bit intimidated but i am glad I played the game first without it. It should just make the experience so much better. Considering that I am one of those that plays as if I am the character(I know, lame), it should be alot funner to worry about food, drink, and sleeping.

markot

Banned
Kruhex said:
Is it my imagination that Fallout 3 had more quests to do in those random offbeat locations? Each random place I now go to is just scenery now, no quests.
Pretty much everywhere I go has a quest or two >.< I think the mass of them in vegas kinda overwhelms the rest though...

dwebo

Kruhex said:
Yeah, pretty much. Maybe it's better this way - the average player will probably see a lot more of the content they made versus in F3.

markot said:
Also, how do I get to the remant? I know where their base is, but I there is no way to get inside >.>! I want the armour, I cant wear BOS stuff cause then the NCR just shoots on site...
You need to do Arcade's companion quest to go into the Remnant bunker. I'd tell you how to do it, but I haven't been able to get it to work. :lol
edit:
There's also a faction-less BOS power armor on Deathclaw Promontory, which is due east of Lucky Jim Mine on the other side of the river, if that's all you want.

markot said:
Pretty much everywhere I go has a quest or two >.< I think the mass of them in vegas kinda overwhelms the rest though...
Well, I didn't start exploring until after I'd already done as many quests as I could find, without just heading towards random locations. I had only discovered maybe 100 locations or so at this point. By the time I'd stopped after another 50-75, I think I found a total of one additional quest, in a vault I don't think I was ever pointed to.

Is there anyway to dismiss your companions without talking to them? Mine keep fucking disappearing, both of my companions went MIA for like an hour tonight. It'd be faster to dismiss them and pick them up again then just waiting for them to pop back up.

demolitio

dwebo said:
Kinda disappointed that a lot of the extra locations don't have much in them besides a star cap and/or some other random trinket. Finding a new place just to then proceed to search around for a tiny object gets old pretty fast. Also, once you've seen one cave area, you've pretty much seen them all. Only you still need to search the whole damn thing for that one special named weapon you probably can't even use proficiently.

I feel your pain. I'm tired of going off to explore just to find a few enemies. Some places have me thinking there's some sort of DLC going to be there or something.

NoRéN

rainking187 said:
Is there anyway to dismiss your companions without talking to them? Mine keep fucking disappearing, both of my companions went MIA for like an hour tonight. It'd be faster to dismiss them and pick them up again then just waiting for them to pop back up.
fast travel and they should reappear with you.

Shinjitsu

Banned
duckroll said:
Personally, hardcore is the only way I'll ever play this game. It's not even an option as far as I'm concerned. It's not about making the game harder, or adding challenge. It's about playing the game the way it is designed. Hardcore just adds so much to the roleplaying experience it is simply pointless to play without it on. With Hardcore mode on, it gives additional meaning to all food and drink items, and it gives additional meaning to many other items as well (drugs, healing items, etc). The extra layer of immersion and the additional gameplay elements that comes with it add a lot to the game experience and I see no reason to do without it at all.

Exactly how I feel. It pissed me off in fallout 3 how 99% of the food items had zero use. Now a steak or even a iguana on a stick can help me stay out of a town for a while longer. Makes you actually feel like you are trying to survive.

Arde5643

NoRéN said:
Forgot to say thanks for posting them a few pages back. Real cool! :D

So, about to start the game again. This, time, in HArdcore mode. Any tips? I'd appreciate the help.
Decent sneak/survival and patience always helps.

Keep tabs on your ammo weight - if you know you're never going to use a certain type of weapon, just sell both weapon and ammo right away to save yourself inventory space.

Gecko steak is probably the easiest thing to make with decent survival (20-30) and it makes you full pretty well.
If you actually like crafting items with survival skill, gecko kebab is really awesome since it's as good as gecko steak but also gives some H2O and only weighs .25 lbs.
Bloatfly slider is also pretty nice due to its big H2O content.
Caravan lunch is pretty useless - while it's really fulfilling, by the time you get that hungry, you're already losing HP and stats due to starvation. Plus it's heavy.

Doctor bags are always useful - keep a few handy (4 or 5 should be enough) although not too much since they're 1 lbs a piece.
Though always be sure to quicksave on places that have landmines - you never know when you accidentally stepped on one and crippled your leg right away. :lol

Purified water - if you don't want to interrupt your exploration every hour or so to fast-travel to Goodspring Source due to dehydration, be sure to stock up on purified water.
Worse comes to worst, drink some of the radiated water since it only does 5 radiation anyway.

Whenever I come back to sell my loot, I usually always sleep for a few hours, eat some gecko steak and drink up the water in Goodspring source.
In fact, Goodspring source makes a decent early base until you get the good hotels :
* close to re-spawning geckos you can use to fill up on gecko steak and a bit of money from gecko hides
* unlimited purified water
* a bed at the trailer Barton used to loiter around.

Regarding radiation and crippled limbs, any doctor can heal your limbs for 50 caps for all limbs and 100 caps to take off any amount of radiation.

dwebo

demolitio said:
I feel your pain. I'm tired of going off to explore just to find a few enemies. Some places have me thinking there's some sort of DLC going to be there or something.
Yeah,
Canyon Wreckage(?) on the west, and Northern Passage on the north
both look like they could easily be opened up with room to spare on the existing map for more locations.
The graffiti at Canyon Wreckage talking about Courier 6 got my hairs to stand on end. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that was what one of the DLC focused on. Nash Johnson in Primm had that weird line about somebody else getting the courier job but passing it off when they saw your name next on the list. Maybe the graffiti was written by the same guy?

NoRéN

dwebo said:
Yeah,
Canyon Wreckage(?) on the west, and Northern Passage on the north
both look like they could easily be opened up with room to spare on the existing map for more locations.
The graffiti at Canyon Wreckage talking about Courier 6 got my hairs to stand on end. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that was what one of the DLC focused on. Nash Johnson in Primm had that weird line about somebody else getting the courier job but passing it off when they saw your name next on the list. Maybe the graffiti was written by the same guy?
that was such a great find.
:D

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Heres my solo pacifist at level 10. The three levels of Swift Learner were not a mistake. Instead they are a must-have. Finished Come Fly With Me which wasnt very difficult, imo. i was able to resolve both parties to maximize xp from there. i almost gained 3 levels just from the turn-ins at the final stage.

The hardest quest i did was the rescue of Deputy Beagle. That was a toughie and required me to do about ten reloads. In the end, i gave him better gear (Combat Armor and a Cowboy Repeater) and we made a mad dash for the exit :lol Primm Slim is now in his rightful place.. YEEHAW! :lol

24fy07b.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Not sure if you know, Wendi but I've seen Bean Bag? Ammo at the Gun Runners which may help in a pinch. Not sure how the whole non-lethal weaponry works though (fatigues the enemy?)

Wallach

What difficulty are you doing that on water_wendi? Sounds intense. I can definitely think of some scenarios ahead that are going to be interesting.

NoRéN

Wallach said:
What difficulty are you doing that on water_wendi? Sounds intense. I can definitely think of some scenarios ahead that are going to be interesting.
water_wendi should go to the quarry.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Arde5643 said:
wow, impressive, Wendi - must've done it with tons of patience, planning, and luck. :D
Thanks. Yeah more planning and patience than luck.. but still a good amount of chance.. especially when Sneaking :lol

SalsaShark said:
Its pretty fun. If i want to blow people heads apart ill load up UT99 :lol

BlueTsunami said:
Not sure if you know, Wendi but I've seen Bean Bag? Ammo at the Gun Runners which may help in a pinch. Not sure how the whole non-lethal weaponry works though (fatigues the enemy?)
i had thought about using non-lethal weapons to get access to the XP rewards for the challenges but i decided against it. No weapons or fighting for my character and no companions.

Wallach said:
Very Hard + Hardcore

NoRéN said:
water_wendi should go to the quarry.
By that time i should have 100 Sneak and Silent Running. i am prepared.. i think :lol

The only quest so far that ive been unable to complete is the one where you clear the road north of
ants
. i havent found a way to clear that. i thought about engaging and running away to get someone else to fire on them but there is nothing close by.

GAF.

Oh lord.

This game.

This fucking game is going to consume my life.

There is literally, without a shadow of a doubt, more shit to do and see and talk to and search and fight and steal from and repair and stealth kill and VATS and quests and a sub-quests and hardcore more and betrayals and H2O and and Varmint Rifle Night Scopes and hidden NPCs and secret messages and jesus christ...

80 hours so far between two different characters. The first is your typical jack of all trades, with maybe a little bit of gun prowess. He can hold his own in the wasteleand. He's become lost in the snowy mountains looking for a faraway village. He's explored.

But my second character is an entirely different story. I gave this guy the following stats in SPECIAL

St - 3
Pe - 5
En - 6
Ch - 8
In - 9
Ag - 4
Lk - 5

And I went from there. Basically I am role-playing this second guy, ala so many pen-and-paper campaigns I've done over the years. I'm playing this guy as a regular, 70-year-old courier (he resembles Easy Pete if I equip the Prospector outfit) who just wants to find
Benny.
His skills are meager. 15 in guns. 10 in melee. He does not know how to fight. He relies on Intelligence and Charisma, Speech and Survival. He's alright with a pistol fortunately, with a surprising amount of critical hits. But anyway, he travels to the Strip,
and finds him. Before that however he talked to House and learned of all the power struggles going on the city.
He made no clear decision at that time, and instead
Killed Benny, took "Maria" and the Platinum Chip back,
and chose then to be simply a wandering reaper. He went back to
Goodsprings and began wiping out anyone he'd talked to before regarding the entire ongoings of the quest.
He has much to explore yet, and the fate of Nevada is still undetermined. I turned this 70-year-old man from an answer-seeking soul into somebody who wants the entire story buried.

Fuck this game.

Soooooo good.

water_wendi said:
Heres my solo pacifist at level 10. The three levels of Swift Learner were not a mistake. Instead they are a must-have. Finished Come Fly With Me which wasnt very difficult, imo. i was able to resolve both parties to maximize xp from there. i almost gained 3 levels just from the turn-ins at the final stage.

Wow, good stuff. Another example why this game is amazing!

Benedict

I've encountered a game-crashing bug on the PS3 that has happened to me ten times now.
I've gotten a minor radiation sickness and want to use a Rad-Away.

EVERY TIME I TAKE THE RAD-AWAY THE GAME FREEZES, FORCING ME TO TURN OFF THE PS3 (holding down the powerbutton until three beeps).

I have a RAD-level of 201 and a total of 6 RadAways. Have not tried to reduce the number of RadAways in my inventory and see if that solves the problem. The crash occurs when I take the RadAwayfrom both within the inventory and the RAD-status screen or mapped to the D-pad.

Which means that I can't use Rad-Aways without the game crashing...

Anybody else have had this crash?

Edit: Found out that this bug, or a similar, existed in Fallout 3 and was patched on January 13th 2009 in Update 1.1.

*Using Radaway from the Pip-Boy's Status Menu repeatedly no longer crashes the game.

Could it really be the same bug within the engine?

edit 2:
SOLUTION: So far the only work-around I found is that when I tried to increase the RAD-level by eating food and also removing and retrieving the RadAway (to my companion) from the inventory it seemed to work.

jax (old)

Banned
HOLYSHIT.

I just put on Explorer perk and my map lit up. Not like oh, here's some locales. More like a bazilllion and 1 places you'd never been to. I was shocked and amazed. Literally went oh fuck.

shock.jpg

qn - where do you get access to the panel that tells you the build up to the special perks like:

Lord Death/animal killers
<-- I got those

because
I was killing some animals and a message came up LORD DEATH OF MOUNTAIN something 300/1000
I couldn't read enough of it because I was using the sniper and it faded away before I could read it.

Dresden

Just finished the Legion ending. Didn't explore much with this character--it took 13 hours overall, ended at level 19.

Meltdown+YCS Gauss Rifle=explosive sniper. :D Energy weapons really takes off later on. A group of NCR troopers ran at me--shot one--chain reaction took out the rest. Soooo good. It's almost unfair how sniping with the Gauss rifle, with Meltdown on, is better at exploding things than a dedicated Explosive build!

What a relentlessly grim ending it was. :lol

Now for my third character... a "good" guy. :lol I'll be done with the game then.

NoRéN

water_wendi said:
Thanks. Yeah more planning and patience than luck.. but still a good amount of chance.. especially when Sneaking :lol

Its pretty fun. If i want to blow people heads apart ill load up UT99 :lol

i had thought about using non-lethal weapons to get access to the XP rewards for the challenges but i decided against it. No weapons or fighting for my character and no companions.

Very Hard + Hardcore

By that time i should have 100 Sneak and Silent Running. i am prepared.. i think :lol

The only quest so far that ive been unable to complete is the one where you clear the road north of
ants
. i havent found a way to clear that. i thought about engaging and running away to get someone else to fire on them but there is nothing close by.
There is nothing hardcore about sneaking through
Deathclaws
. Come on, pacifist! Go all " hands across the quarry" with them. :D

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Kruhex said:

your imagination. Fallout 3 had less quests.

DeVeAn

duckroll said:
I would agree but no fast travel does not equal fun.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kruhex said:

This is the complete and exact opposite of the situation. Almost every single location in New Vegas has a quest, or least a little story to be discovered about it. Maybe 10% of the identikit shitfest locations in Fallout 3 had any relevance to anything.

DeVeAn said:
I would agree but no fast travel does not equal fun.

You can fast travel in Hardcore.

stupei

I thought that once I finally decided to enter New Vegas, it would simplify things for me somewhat. You know, narrow my focus.

Boy, was I wrong. :lol

Suddenly I can do Legion missions? (Not that I'd want to actually help them.) And the entire conversation with the Yes Man (in addition to being amazing) was like, "Here's a huge list of quests, feel free to be overwhelmed now." Holy crap, this game is awesome.

Sinatar said:
This is the complete and exact opposite of the situation. Almost every single location in New Vegas has a quest, or least a little story to be discovered about it. Maybe 10% of the identikit shitfest locations in Fallout 3 had any relevance to anything.

Yeah, I'm literally having to stop and think hard about places that haven't tied into a quest in some way so far. And even then, most of the ones that don't have had a story of their own, like you said.

jax (old)

Banned
The fast travel does really diminsih the value of the quests a lot. In my current playthrough...

NCR
forsaken hope. radio tower quest. Go to a bunch of outposts... Fast travel all over the shop. Go A solve B. Get EXP. repeat

It gets a lot like that and if they wanted you to go all over with these quests, I'd been a lot happier if the quests had a lot more depth to them. Instead, most instances, the quest can be solved in the same room or involves substantial backtracking.

I can only imagine what this game would have been like to play on a console without the fast loading. Hell.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Jax said:
The fast travel does really diminsih the value of the quests a lot. In my current playthrough...

NCR
forsaken hope. radio tower quest. Go to a bunch of outposts... Fast travel all over the shop. Go A solve B. Get EXP. repeat

It gets a lot like that and if they wanted you to go all over with these quests, I'd been a lot happier if the quests had a lot more depth to them. Instead, most instances, the quest can be solved in the same room or involves substantial backtracking.

I can only imagine what this game would have been like to play on a console without the fast loading. Hell.
Are the load time issues a 360 problem? I'm playing on PS3 and haven't seen any long load times.

Shinjitsu said:
Are the load time issues a 360 problem? I'm playing on PS3 and haven't seen any long load times.

Yes they are. You have to restart the game every two hours if you want acceptable load times. (Seen some vids of load times over 3 minutes of a guy who didn't know that).

Of course Digital Foundry failed to mention this.

Lakitu

st5fu
schennmu said:
Yes they are. You have to restart the game every two hours if you want acceptable load times. (Seen some vids of load times over 3 minutes of a guy who didn't know that).

Of course Digital Foundry failed to mention this.

Really? Didn't notice that to be honest. On the 360 it's been fine for me and I've played 2-3 hours at a time. But I've had some crashes, such as when I tried to buy stuff from a Travelling Merchant at Mojave Outpost.

duckroll

Jax said:

NCR

I agree that fast travel sometimes diminishes "challenge" or in some cases the feel of a quest. At the same time though, without fast travel many of these quests would be annoying and not really fun, because walking around in the slow shitty speed of the engine is not really fun, it's just a matter of putting in wasted time to move long distances.

But what I like about the quests is the flavor most of them have. While it might just be a matter of moving back and forth between locations talking to people or recovering an item, the actual nature of the quest is usually interesting and helps flesh out the world in various ways. It adds dimension and depth to both the person/faction you are doing the quest for, and also to the target location where the quests take place. That cohesiveness builds the world and creates connections between different locations.

I really, really like that sort of subtle storytelling and world building. Simply by talking to people and doing minor quests you start to feel a sense of where people have been and what people do in different places. It shows that the world is not just a bunch of self-contained places, and that characters are not just NPCs who are placed in a location to be talking heads. They all feel like people in a connected world.

Trickster

Someone posted some pictures earlier with sandstorms, and someone asked where to get the mod. And I think I just stumbled over it while browsing mods, so if anyone wants it here ya go - Sandstorm mod

Lakitu said:
Really? Didn't notice that to be honest. On the 360 it's been fine for me and I've played 2-3 hours at a time. But I've had some crashes, such as when I tried to buy stuff from a Travelling Merchant at Mojave Outpost.

2-3 hours is still acceptable but it gets really bad if you put more time into the game. And I'm already noticing that the load times get worse around the two hour mark, so I'm usually restarting the box then. Doesn't help that 2 hours are nothing in Fallout! :lol

Zeliard

duckroll said:
I agree that fast travel sometimes diminishes "challenge" or in some cases the feel of a quest. At the same time though, without fast travel many of these quests would be annoying and not really fun, because walking around in the slow shitty speed of the engine is not really fun, it's just a matter of putting in wasted time to move long distances.

But what I like about the quests is the flavor most of them have. While it might just be a matter of moving back and forth between locations talking to people or recovering an item, the actual nature of the quest is usually interesting and helps flesh out the world in various ways. It adds dimension and depth to both the person/faction you are doing the quest for, and also to the target location where the quests take place. That cohesiveness builds the world and creates connections between different locations.

I really, really like that sort of subtle storytelling and world building. Simply by talking to people and doing minor quests you start to feel a sense of where people have been and what people do in different places. It shows that the world is not just a bunch of self-contained places, and that characters are not just NPCs who are placed in a location to be talking heads. They all feel like people in a connected world.
I think this is where Avellone's influence really shines. His design philosophy puts strong emphasis on the notion that every character, NPC or not, needs their own raison d'être.

Nose Master

So... I just went on a random killing spree in The Strip. Game locked up after the second casino, no big deal. I try turning it back on later...
RROD.
That's one hell of a bug! :lol

:/

duckroll

Nose Master said:
So... I just went on a random killing spree in New Vegas. Game locked up after the second casino, no big deal. I try turning it back on later...
RROD.
That's one hell of a bug! :lol

:/

That's why you never ever fuck with Securitrons or Mr House.

My condolences. :(

knitoe

For some reason, with game installed, the increasing load times on X360 only happen to me 25-30 hours into the game. When game first boots, load times are very quick. As I zone, fast travel or load a saved file, the load times gets longer and longer. It was ignoring haven to dashboard and restart the game 30 min - 1hr. My fix was to just uninstall and play game from disc. Load time issues went away.

Haunted

pilonv1 said:
So which Bobblehead mod is the best one to go for? They both look pretty similiar to me.
Bobblehunt sounds nice and like a bit more thought went into it.

Looking over the various mods out there... what the fuck unholy abomination is that AsukaHUD shit? I mean, Jesus Christ.

duckroll

Haunted said:
Looking over the various mods out there... what the fuck unholy abomination is that AsukaHUD shit? I mean, Jesus Christ.

I think that's related to the even more unholy Shojo Race mod. >_<

Top Bottom