• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wallach

stupei said:
As far as I could tell, it wasn't really between Goodsprings and the Powder Gangers, though. It was between a member of the Crimson Caravan and the Powder Gangers, but happened to take place near Goodsprings.

The people in Goodsprings pretty much say they don't like the guy taking shots at the local gang and riling them up, and a few of them direcrtly say they have no problem with you handing him over. I never went down that route so maybe doing so will result in the Powder Gangers turning on the towns people, but what is actually presented isn't "murder all these civilians or don't," it was one guy who doesn't even live there pissing off the local gang and then drawing a bunch of innocent civilians into his fight. You have to decide if you want to save him or not. I never got the impression that handing him over would immediately result in Powder Gangers overtaking the town, but maybe that's the case?

Yeah, there's not much middle ground at all. You just kill him for the Gangers and then proceed to help them murder the entire town.

dwebo

Lakitu said:
Well, I've just gone into
Hoover Dam
and it's fuggin huge. I don't know whether to tackle what this has to offer now or whether to go back after I've been to the strip. Anyone?
Well, it's mostly
late game NCR quests
there, so I'd go to the Strip first and do the quests there, unless you're deadset on staying with them.

Lakitu

st5fu
dwebo said:
Well, it's mostly
late game NCR quests
there, so I'd go to the Strip first and do the quests there, unless you're deadset on staying with them.

Thanks, think I'll return later.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i also like how things are added to old locations or you go back to an earlier area for something else (for example in Primm
in the Vicki and Vance you run into AWOL NCR soldiers looking for a new home after you do the sheriff stuff
)

stupei said:
Where's the screencap of your starting stats again?
Here you go.
s0weg9.jpg

The game is awesome; however SPECIAL could be better done. Charisma is still useless, Agility should give +1% movement speed every level, Perception should improve accuracy like the devs said it would.

Also, we need a rollerskates mod that increases movement speed and portable camping sites/sleeping bags. For heaven's sake, rollerskates are already in the game- you just can't do anything with them.

Just finished! Lvl 28 at the end:

- Supported NCR after having assassinated Caesar earlier in the game. I traveled to his camp with Boone... and forgot that he might instigate stuff.
- Tried to talk the Khans out of their alliance with Caesar, but Papa Khan refused to listen. After taking him, and his inner cadre out, I was shocked to learn that he wrote about his own anxiety of siding with Caesar in his journal.
- Slaughtered the BoS. I felt bad about this one, even though its clear that the Western BoS really is a lot different than the Capitol chapter. I walked in, reprogrammed their turrets, and blew up the bunker.
- I sided with The Kings in Freeside, and they built a working relationship with the NCR.
- I took out Mr House, and the Omertas, but let Benny live.
- Boone re-enlisted, and spends his leaves hunting down CL stragglers.
- Rex had Violetta's brain, and ended up becoming a savage monster.

I played as a *good* character, maxed guns, and highish speech, repair, lockpick and medicine.

I'm going to do an evil, Legion associated play-through next. The char's focus will be on explosives, melee and barter.

dwebo

water_wendi said:
i also like how things are added to old locations or you go back to an earlier area for something else (for example in Primm
in the Vicki and Vance you run into AWOL NCR soldiers looking for a new home after you do the sheriff stuff
)
Yeah that was pretty cool, but it was also the only one I've found.

Ogrekiller said:
The game is awesome; however SPECIAL could be better done. Charisma is still useless, Agility should give +1% movement speed every level, Perception should improve accuracy like the devs said it would.
Agility does increase movement speed (not sure by what %), and perception should increase VATS accuracy at least? Also, if you rely on your companions to do most of the damage, the charisma verve bonus is a nice addition. It's pretty useless for a lone wolf build, sure, but that makes sense :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ogrekiller said:

Also, we need a rollerskates mod that increases movement speed and portable camping sites/sleeping bags. For heaven's sake, rollerskates are already in the game- you just can't do anything with them.

Yes, I have charisma maxed out and it does nothing. But whatever, I'm roleplaying, so if he's charismatic and nobody in the Wasteland gives a shit, so be it.

Dresden

subversus said:
Yes, I had charisma maxed out and it does nothing. But whatever, I'm roleplaying, so if he's charismatic and nobody in the Wasteland give a shit, so be it.
Your companions are 50% stronger, so it probably wasn't a total waste.

subversus

Dresden said:
Your companions are 50% stronger, so it probably wasn't a total waste.

Wow. By stronger you mean "strength" or they're just general stronger? My only companion is pretty badass, kills everything for me.

Dresden

subversus said:
Wow. By stronger you mean "strength" or they're just general stronger? My only companion is pretty badass, kills everything for me.
Charisma affects their "nerve" stat, which increases their Damage and DT by how much Charisma you have. So a person with 1 Charisma would just have a 1.00 companion, whereas with 10, you get, say, Boone with 1.5 to his damage and defense.

duckroll

Charisma is by no means useless. Not only does maxing out charisma start you off with a solid boost to Speech (especially if you tag it as well), but as mentioned your companions are all 50% stronger. Most of the companions are pretty strong as it is, so this really makes them much more powerful.

There are also certain dialog options which only appear if your charisma is above average (I think 7 and up), generally related to requiring you to have good looks. They're not very common but they exist, and some of these options may also require either the appropriate perk/gender (Lady Killer/Black Widow/Confirmed Bachelor/Cherchez La Femme) or a high enough Speech.

So the skill/perk check you see in the dialog option might make you think that it is the sole reason that it appears, but in fact some of these options are not available if your charisma is not high enough. Unlike other stat checks where you can attempt even if you don't meet the requirement, these options simply do not appear if your charisma is too low.

So for a role playing player, having a high charisma for a character meant to be charming and good looking is definitely not useless.

Ledsen

Dresden said:
But it's better than Fallout 3's beginning.

I'd say not even close. You're in nondescript, architecturally bland desert town shooting Geckos... I'd say the Vault+Megaton wins by a country mile regardless of what you think about the writing.

water_wendi said:
Both openings are good but where NV beats FO3 is the amount of choices to start.. Goodsprings, Powder Gangers, or just leave the tutorial area. FO3 is a bitch to make a new character because unless you mod it out to skip the beginning its the same 30min-1hr thing every time which is pretty much just a rail road where you are observing (choosing whether to stick up for Amata or not isnt what i would call substantial choices). You have to have the birthday party, you have to confront Butch, you have to go practice shooting targets, you have to kill the radroach, you have to escape the vault.. there is very little deviation.

Obviously on replays the shorter beginning section is the better one. The first time through is another story.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Confidence Man said:
Just finished and realized I got gypped out of tons of Steam achievements. Maybe from playing offline thanks to that cloud save mess? Bleh.
Did you use the console at all?

subversus

Ledsen said:
I'd say not even close. You're in nondescript, architecturally bland desert town shooting Geckos... I'd say the Vault+Megaton wins by a country mile regardless of what you think about the writing.

yes, the beginning is pretty bland, but once you go into the Wasteland...

New Vegas is marvellous. I'll try to reach it on my 3rd walkthrough in 15 minutes.

NoRéN

duckroll said:
Charisma is by no means useless. Not only does maxing out charisma start you off with a solid boost to Speech (especially if you tag it as well), but as mentioned your companions are all 50% stronger. Most of the companions are pretty strong as it is, so this really makes them much more powerful.

There are also certain dialog options which only appear if your charisma is above average (I think 7 and up), generally related to requiring you to have good looks. They're not very common but they exist, and some of these options may also require either the appropriate perk/gender (Lady Killer/Black Widow/Confirmed Bachelor/Cherchez La Femme) or a high enough Speech.

So the skill/perk check you see in the dialog option might make you think that it is the sole reason that it appears, but in fact some of these options are not available if your charisma is not high enough. Unlike other stat checks where you can attempt even if you don't meet the requirement, these options simply do not appear if your charisma is too low.

So for a role playing player, having a high charisma for a character meant to be charming and good looking is definitely not useless.
Sme people really don't pay attention or are just jumping on the charisma-hate train.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Duckroll but, each point added to a special trait, will subsequently boost the skills associated with that trait by a couple of points, right? So, one point to charisma increases barter and speech by 2 points per level of charisma. That means that a Maxed out charisma will increases barter and speech by at least 20 points. Thats at least 40 skill points freed up to increases those skills further or even increase something else.
Right it wrong?

Wallach

NoRéN said:
Sme people really don't pay attention or are just jumping on the charisma-hate train.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Duckroll but, each point added to a special trait, will subsequently boost the skills associated with that trait by a couple of points, right? So, one point to charisma increases barter and speech by 2 points per level of charisma. That means that a Maxed out charisma will increases barter and speech by at least 20 points. Thats at least 40 skill points freed up to increases those skills further or even increase something else.
Right it wrong?

Well, that is correct though you can't have a 0 in CHA so the difference between 1 and 10 CHA is 36 skill points total (18 Barter / 18 Speech). Technically the stats worth the most raw skill points are PER (Energy, Explosives, Lockpick) and INT (Medicine, Science, Repair), while LCK increases all skills by .5 (which rounds up if necessary).

NoRéN

Wallach said:
Well, that is correct though you can't have a 0 in CHA so the difference between 1 and 10 CHA is 36 skill points total (18 Barter / 18 Speech). Technically the stats worth the most raw skill points are PER (Energy, Explosives, Lockpick) and INT (Medicine, Science, Repair), while LCK increases all skills by .5 (which rounds up if necessary).
There you go. Accurate. Thinking of it that way, water_wendi's uber intelligent peace and love character may not be tough but can go almost anywhere. Locked doors and terminals: hah!

So after about 40 hours I decided to start working on the "main" questline...

Holy shit, this game forces you to make some tough decisions. I've never felt so torn about decisions in a game than I am with this. I'm sitting at work trying to work out how I'm going to approach stuff when I get home tonight :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Ogrekiller said:

What I never understood is why they don't allow you to ride motorcycles, since judging by the ones parked outside the saloon at the start and around the world, everyone else does.

You should be able to buy a motorcycle at some point and drive it around. F2 (and maybe F1? Don't remember) let you buy a car to drive around and store stuff in.

I wonder if the engine couldn't handle it or something. Would be awesome to have an interstate '76 style dirty post-war cockpit view while driving around the wasteland running over radscorpions.

duckroll

Bebpo said:
What I never understood is why they don't allow you to ride motorcycles, since judging by the ones parked outside the saloon at the start and around the world, everyone else does.

You should be able to buy a motorcycle at some point and drive it around. F2 (and maybe F1? Don't remember) let you buy a car to drive around and store stuff in.

I wonder if the engine couldn't handle it or something. Would be awesome to have an interstate '76 style dirty post-war cockpit view while driving around the wasteland running over radscorpions.

The car in Fallout 2 did much more harm than good when the game came out. :lol

My obsession with this game is un-fucking-healthy. I'm buying a new computer in a month so I can play this on the PC (somehow Obsidian doubled the requirements). I've been watching streams for the past day and I want it now. To top it off, I can't study for my hardest college classes. I literally want to die now.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ledsen said:
Obviously on replays the shorter beginning section is the better one. The first time through is another story.
Its not about length (i think both are about equal length) its about options. In NV you can have different outcomes or not even participate (say if you wanted to just head for the Strip). Fallout 3s tutorial area is the same all the time with two or three slight changes (stick up for Amata? how do you act towards Butch at the party? do you kill the Overseer?).

The problem with charisma is that your base charisma really doesn't matter too much in the long run. Barter and speech each have +10 items (naughty nightwear for speech, trader cap+5 and wasteland merchants outfit/bennys suit +5 for barter) and have a trait to help them out, and charisma is the most easily boosted BY FAR out of ALL the stats. (party time mentats give a whopping +5 and are ridiculously easy to make, mentats, whiskey- especially with whiskey rose, moonshine AND they all stack) The damage boost given by nerve is alright but my main purpose for companions are mules and cannon fodder, which is where nerve is really handy, but if you're not on hardcore then thats a non issue- companions can't die. So besides companion health for me that leaves perks, which are decent, but none of them particularly stand out to me, which is just my playstyle.

njean777 said:
im amazed people do not put 10 luck, makes the game so easy. CRITS GALORE
Wait til you combine that with Finesse, better crits, Lily's perk, built to destroy. Ninja if you're going melee/unarmed. OMG indeed.

njean777

Ogrekiller said:
The problem with charisma is that your base charisma really doesn't matter too much in the long run. Barter and speech each have +10 items (naughty nightwear for speech, trader cap+5 and wasteland merchants outfit/bennys suit +5 for barter) and charisma is the most easily boosted BY FAR out of ALL the stats. (party time mentats give a whopping +5 and are ridiculously easy to make, mentats, whiskey- especially with whiskey rose, moonshine) The damage boost given by nerve is alright but my main purpose for companions are mules and cannon fodder, which is where nerve is really handy, but if you're not on hardcore then thats a non issue- companions can't die. So that leaves perks, which are decent, but none of them particularly stand out to me, which is just my playstyle.

Wait til you combine that with Finesse, better crits, Lily's perk, built to destroy. Ninja if you're going melee/unarmed. OMG indeed.

Yep i have all that also almost every shot i take is a crit almost. Maybe like 10% of my shots are not crits.

ChoklitReign said:
My obsession with this game is un-fucking-healthy. I'm buying a new computer in a month so I can play this on the PC (somehow Obsidian doubled the requirements). I've been watching streams for the past day and I want it now. To top it off, I can't study for my hardest college classes. I literally want to die now.
I have to force myself to get any studying done. Ultimately, all I wanna do is go back and scour the Wasteland.

Jerk

Banned
njean777 said:
im amazed people do not put 10 luck, makes the game so easy. CRITS GALORE

No need to bother with too much luck. Seven or eight is good enough to start with.

Some weapons take care of it for you.

Example: The Raslayer.

That thing has a crit modifier of x5 and is available really early in the game.

Ledsen

water_wendi said:
Its not about length (i think both are about equal length) its about options. In NV you can have different outcomes or not even participate (say if you wanted to just head for the Strip). Fallout 3s tutorial area is the same all the time with two or three slight changes (stick up for Amata? how do you act towards Butch at the party? do you kill the Overseer?).

Well my point was that that stuff only matters on repeated playthroughs, not the first time through.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ledsen said:
Well my point was that that stuff only matters on repeated playthroughs, not the first time through.
It matters in an rpg where choice and consequences are supposed to be present. Imo, at least.

jax (old)

Banned
next game I was thinking needs:

vehicles.
climbing skill - I got sick of the walls surrounding areas you can't walk around. Wasteland had climb as skillset.
pickpocket skill... (where did this go? My 100 stealth character is as good at pickpocketing as my 40 stealh character. TERRIBLE).

njean777

Dresden said:
10 luck? Nine is the sweet spot. Any high luck build will easily make the money for implants.

that how i build my characters at least, it helps a lot in the early game when you do not have a big arsenal. I just use my companions and take away strength no need for it when you have somebody that will carry everything for you and you do not use melee weapons.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Do I need to actually supply my companions with ammunition for non-default weapons? Boone is fairly useful even with his default, but I'd like to give him something better, but it seems that unlike Fallout 3 when you reverse pickpocketed weapons and one shot of whatever ammo, they actually use it like normal. Would hate to be spending caps on wasted shots.

duckroll

Ledsen said:

I completely disagree with this. Even if you play the game just once, it is silly to presume that every single player will do things a particular way the first time they play. Having many multiple options for the player to roleplay as he/she sees fit benefits the game from the very start, not just on replays. If you start out creating a specific character with an intention to play the game from a certain type of personality/specialization, New Vegas gives you the ability to take advantage of that right from the start. Your actions right from the beginning start to define your character and the consequences of your early actions slowly begin to affect what other options you have as you progress through the game. You open new doors and close existing ones based on how you react to the world and how the world reacts to you.

ezekial45

Banned
Do you get anything seriously important from the Hidden Bunker?
I got Hardin's evidence, but i want to blow up the base so i can get through the rest of the story missions.

njean777

ezekial45 said:
Do you get anything seriously important from the Hidden Bunker?
I got Hardin's evidence, but i want to blow up the base so i can get through the rest of the story missions.

you get
power armor training and a Brotherhood set of armor for free, also you can join the brotherhood if you want to.

ezekial45

Banned
njean777 said:
you get
power armor training and a Brotherhood set of armor for free, also you can join the brotherhood if you want to.

Yeah, i'm in a bit of a bind.
I want to continue the main story, but i'm not sure if i want to Kill Mr.House. I'd like to know what the rewards are for satisfying him. He wants me to wipe out the brotherhood.

Yeesh, so many decisions. :lol

Is there a way to cripple these fucking cunt's legs, like quickly, so I stand a chance of keeping some fucking distance, and not get fucking mauled to death while I'm trying to hurt them?

Seriously pissed off because I
went through the fucking train tunnel by Nellis AFB so I wouldn't get fucking killed by missiles all the fucking time, and then these bastards are waiting for me at the other fucking end

In fact is it possible to build a poison dart gun like in FO3?

TTG

What's the importance of Veronica(I think that's her name, brotherhood girls with the melee arm you can pick up as a follower). I'm playing on hardcore, so I'm always paranoid about getting friends killed.

bunbun777

It never makes sense to start with 10 unless you are straight role playing and that's the way it has to be for your character. Imo the best stats are INT for the future points, LCK for the overall point increase and crits, END (now) due to implant requirements, STR and AGI are about the same but STR wins due to weapon requirements, though if you do not use top level equipment.... PER and CHR are mostly worthless. Especially with ED-e's perk and tagging speech.

Thing is you can gimp your character any way you want (even skill points) and as long as you focus on one specialization you will kick ass. You may not get to do 'as much' as you could have another route. Usually anyone that isn't happy or not finding results with their builds are usually spread out or secretly wanting something else.

Am currently lvl 28 on my 2nd character, Tufistso, who specializes in Unarmed and is leeethal.

Used Intense training 4 times and ended up with these after taking all SPECIAL related implants:

S-6
P-6 (7 with helmet)
E-9
C-5
I-10
A-7
L-8 (9 with NN usually equipped)

Looking back now I would have lowered my CHR 2 more points and given it to STR -- kept PER the same due to PERK requirements, and took 2 more points from CHR and given it to AGI. Tufistso is at 88 speech now, that could still be the same without the CHR boost and kept at 80.

Top Bottom