• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

TTG

The Helios sidequest is pissing me off. There are two brain bots in the damn tower(maybe a lot more actually, I've only gotten 2 rooms in), I can avoid one but not the other. Who thought it was a good idea to make them complete bullet sponges? Yay time to waste all the ammo and stimpaks I have because this one ridiculous enemy is way overpowered and will bring no reward. To add to the fun, that room keeps glitching out. Crashed once, once my vats stopped working and the last couple of tries the frame rate drops to about 5 and stays there... how did they get this certified for consoles? enough frustration for one day.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Haunted said:
Looking over the various mods out there... what the fuck unholy abomination is that AsukaHUD shit? I mean, Jesus Christ.

Oh the shame that just swept over me...

I actually like it because of the face it makes when you get a crit :lol

Arozay

The only reason I haven't started a hardcore game is mainly due to hating how the game handles inventory screens and trading. I already hate managing items and searching for stuff in normal mode, and I imagine I'd be spending a lot more time doing so in hardcore mode.

EDIT: Gonna try the Inventory Sorter duckroll posted, looks good but it would be nice if the different categories were separate or able to be toggled as hide/show.

knitoe said:
For some reason, with game installed, the increasing load times on X360 only happen to me 25-30 hours into the game. When game first boots, load times are very quick. As I zone, fast travel or load a saved file, the load times gets longer and longer. It was ignoring haven to dashboard and restart the game 30 min - 1hr. My fix was to just uninstall and play game from disc. Load time issues went away.

I tried that but I simply can't deal with the volume level of the 360 dvd drive. The constant streaming makes it unbearable for me. I also got the impression that load times were longer compared to a full install. It might very well be that this fixes the memory leak though.

TTG said:
The Helios sidequest is pissing me off. There are two brain bots in the damn tower(maybe a lot more actually, I've only gotten 2 rooms in), I can avoid one but not the other. Who thought it was a good idea to make them complete bullet sponges?

If you want to do that area in easy mode, use Boone

Rikyfree

I am looking into getting the named plasma rifle, I have everything in the REPconn HQ dead, and I can see the rifle in this self contained pod but can't get it open? Any idea how to do it?

jax (old)

Banned
duckroll said:
Jax, if you're looking into good interface mods now (surprised you didn't use them during the first run), I also recommend the inventory sorter. Just grab the Combined one (the first file in the list at the link). It's very useful.

http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34950

thanks. Had a look, looks great. Shits all over the system already in the game

just installed the movespeed multipler one and AWESOME. Its great because I've already spent hours on this, finished it once and saves me slogging it.

Really liking the UI changes too - simply because it makes it feel a lot more like FO1+2 with more options on screen. I never liked the 3 lines/small text box in the fallout3 interface.

Also, first time getting into mods and its pretty neat. :)

<3

duckroll

Jax said:
thanks. Had a look, looks great. Shits all over the system already in the game

just installed the movespeed multipler one and AWESOME. Its great because I've already spent hours on this, finished it once and saves me slogging it.

Really liking the UI changes too - simply because it makes it feel a lot more like FO1+2 with more options on screen. I never liked the 3 lines/small text box in the fallout3 interface.

Also, first time getting into mods and its pretty neat. :)

<3

Which fast movement mod are you using? I didn't use one in my first playthrough, but I definitely could use a boost on replays. The movement is really the most annoying thing about the engine.

duckroll

Another great interface mod is this one: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34913

34913-1-1287784445.jpg

But one word of warning. If you're already using MTUI, you don't want to overwrite every because MTUI actually has better interface improvements outside of the pipboy and companion wheel stuff. So I suggest only overwriting the filenames which are linked to status and companions. You can experiment around a bit with it by loading a game and seeing the results to make sure it looks the way you want to. If you accidentally overwrote something from MTUI which you didn't want to, you can just extract the MTUI pack again and overwrite it back. :)

Ledsen

Zeliard said:
If you're reloading when your companion dies, you're doing it wrong.

And there aren't really any "additional pointless trips." You should almost always have what you need in your inventory. It simply adds an extra layer of management, but it isn't a big deal either way. The key to hardcore mode comes in how it modifies combat.

What? Why would anyone want to lose a companion before finishing their quest when you can just reload and try again? Not to mention that you probably lose a lot of stuff they had that you can't carry with you. and I don't get this at all.

duckroll

I just tried the movement speed mod. Good stuff. It makes movement feel much faster and smoother. Is it less realistic? Yes. Does it make the game more fun when I'm replaying? Hell yes! :lol

Haunted

Just finished the game at level 37. I know it's a Fallout staple to end the game with narrated slides, but man, it looks and feels so underwhelming. :lol

That all on one screen mod is nice. The UI design on the whole is pretty cumbersome, glad they're so many good mods out for this already. Will be nice to have a proper UI for when the inevitable DLC packages hit.

markot said:
Well, they wake up >.<
Not on hard[core].

duckroll said:
I just tried the movement speed mod. Good stuff. It makes movement feel much faster and smoother. Is it less realistic? Yes. Does it make the game more fun when I'm replaying? Hell yes! :lol
As with all gameplay mods, you basically have to find a balance between immersion/realism and accessibility/usefulness. The best mods enhance both (like the unlimited follower one), but less realism is acceptable for me if it increases the fun/cuts down on annoyances accordingly.

Of course, everyone has a different threshold for that, so if someone says Hardcore mode is too annoying for them, I respect that.

Wallach

I went back to the quarry on my explosives guy armed with authority glasses, an expensive (though previously owned) suit and 260 lbs of various explosives.

I left with 135 lbs of explosives and twelve omelets.

duckroll

I don't think it's just mods. With any sort of truly open gameplay experience like a CRPG, different gamers will have different needs and wants. I don't think it's wrong to have different expectations or desires from a game, even if I disagree with the opinion. Which is why we see some people preferring Fallout 3 over the NV experience which is closer to Fallout 2.

Anyone who pays for a game should have the right to play the game however they want, and mods just help facilitate that further. It's up to the player to pick the mods which best suit his/her needs.

So how much longer do you guys think we'll be waiting for the proper Script Extender so we can get our Stutter Remover?

Still playing OG Fallout3 until then...

Haunted

duckroll said:
I don't think it's just mods. With any sort of truly open gameplay experience like a CRPG, different gamers will have different needs and wants. I don't think it's wrong to have different expectations or desires from a game, even if I disagree with the opinion. Which is why we see some people preferring Fallout 3 over the NV experience which is closer to Fallout 2.

Anyone who pays for a game should have the right to play the game however they want, and mods just help facilitate that further. It's up to the player to pick the mods which best suit his/her needs.
Except that AsukaHUD mod. Anyone using that should have their drive formatted.

Ledsen

AgentOtaku said:
So how much longer do you guys think we'll be waiting for the proper Script Extender so we can get our Stutter Remover?

Still playing OG Fallout3 until then...

Check the thread on the official NV mod forums on the Bethesda forums and ask the developers yourself. Last time I asked a few days ago they said they're waiting until at least one major patch so that the game is a little more stable, because they have to release a new version every time a patch is released.

duckroll said:
Another great interface mod is this one: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34913

34913-1-1287784445.jpg

But one word of warning. If you're already using MTUI, you don't want to overwrite every because MTUI actually has better interface improvements outside of the pipboy and companion wheel stuff. So I suggest only overwriting the filenames which are linked to status and companions. You can experiment around a bit with it by loading a game and seeing the results to make sure it looks the way you want to. If you accidentally overwrote something from MTUI which you didn't want to, you can just extract the MTUI pack again and overwrite it back. :)

Thanks a lot. For me as a TV and gamepad user, MTUI is way too small and I can't read the text on my TV. This mod doesn't make the text as small and also has the awesome status screen.

Ledsen said:
Check the thread on the official NV mod forums on the Bethesda forums and ask the developers yourself. Last time I asked a few days ago they said they're waiting until at least one major patch so that the game is a little more stable, because they have to release a new version every time a patch is released.

word

Thanks!

jax (old)

Banned
re: mods. just a note for those who might be interested.

There's a BOS story/quest glitch fix. :O I read that and I was like... this mod business... amazes me.

I just claimed the quarry. Deathclaws are my bitches. Oh yeah. :lol

Shame that wasn't an actual quest, it was really fun. Didn't seem too rewarding to go back to the dude and get some old NCR money!

duckroll

Jax said:
re: mods. just a note for those who might be interested.

There's a BOS story/quest glitch fix. :O I read that and I was like... this mod business... amazes me.

There are mods which fix almost everything. Currently until they are patched (if they are ever patched), I have the following mods running:

- Vault 11 fix
- Veronica leveling fix
- Raul quest fix
- Caravan cards fix

Modding is really awesome. While it's not optimal that the game actually has such bugs to begin with, it's great that the engine supports quick and instant fixing from the fanbase.

duckroll

Zenith said:
anyone know the sales figures? trying to work out if Obsidian is on the rocks.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271510

GFK-ChartTrack has confirmed that Fallout: New Vegas has outperformed predecessor Fallout 3's opening weekend sales by almost a third.

The UK games data monitor reported that New Vegas - which went top of the All Formats chart this morning - "comfortably" beat Bethesda's previous record holder.

http://www.huliq.com/10177/fallout-new-vegas-sales-results-are-strong

According to data reported by Gamasutra, New Vegas leads multi-platform charts in both the U.S. and U.K. markets. Moreover, of the games in the top 5, it was the only game released that week--an indicator of strong pre-order and launch-day sales.

The fact that the game sold strongly on pre-orders and its release day despite reviews docking it for its excessive technical issues can be interpreted as gamers giving it the benefit of the doubt because it continues the Fallout franchise. Moreover, while the game is very similar to Fallout 3, that previous title was very popular--and many gamers are more than happy to pay money to get more of a good thing. Obsidian has tweaked gameplay and added features but, by and large, it feels very similar.

It remains to be seen exactly how many units the title has sold, but sales should be in excess of two million because all indicators point to it outselling EA's Medal of Honor released last week, which sold closer to 1.5 million units in its launch week. The fact that a new game in an existing franchise sold strongly on the franchise brand is also good news for Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops, due to November 9th. We're predicting strong launch sales for that game, which is also a title produced by a developer known for making the weaker titles of the franchise.

NIN90

water_wendi said:
Heres my solo pacifist at level 10. The three levels of Swift Learner were not a mistake. Instead they are a must-have. Finished Come Fly With Me which wasnt very difficult, imo. i was able to resolve both parties to maximize xp from there. i almost gained 3 levels just from the turn-ins at the final stage.
http://i53.tinypic.com/24fy07b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wait, two parties? Does that mean that you can also side with the Nightkin during that quest?

NoRéN

NIN90 said:
Wait, two parties? Does that mean that you can also side with the Nightkin during that quest?
I think making both sides happy is
getting rid of the ghouls for Novac by helping them out with their planned trip

Wallach

NIN90 said:

Yes, you can get the information about the Stealth Boy shipment for the Nightkin and get them to leave peacefully once they realize the shipment is not at that REPCONN facility.

NIN90

WHOAguitarninja said:
Might grab this in the target deal. I've heard the PC version crashes extremely frequently though, is this everyone's experience?

Played about 15 hours and didn't have a single crash so far.

NoRéN said:
I think making both sides happy is
getting rid of the ghouls for Novac by helping them out with their planned trip

Oh, bummer. :(

Wallach said:
Yes, you can get the information about the Stealth Boy shipment for the Nightkin and get them to leave peacefully once they realize the shipment is not at that REPCONN facility.

Oh, awesome!

Zeliard

duckroll said:
Modding is really awesome. While it's not optimal that the game actually has such bugs to begin with, it's great that the engine supports quick and instant fixing from the fanbase.

Only good thing about the engine, really. Oblivion was the same.

duckroll

WHOAguitarninja said:
Might grab this in the target deal. I've heard the PC version crashes extremely frequently though, is this everyone's experience?

It crashed less than 10 times for me over the course of my first playthrough. I played about 50 hours over a week or so. Usually the crashes come in bursts. I can play for a day or two for long sessions without any crashes whatsoever, but when it does crash once, the odds are if I keep playing it would crash 2-3 more times that day.

I never lost any progress from a crash though, since I manually save frequently, and the game quicksaves whenever you fast travel, enter a building, sleep, etc.

NIN90 said:

if you stealth to the ghoul, then stealth down to his girlfriend, & then stealth back to him, he'll leave. read the computer that was near him, & then stealth to the head nightkin & tell him the stealth boys aren't there, & they'll leave. no shots fired...

Ponti

Going to throw another UI mod out there that I don't thinks been mentioned. Darn UI has been the go to PC UI since Oblivion for me. Still in early stages atm but hopefully he adds the widget things he had in FO3 soon, would make checking H20, FOD e.t.c. levels much easier.

Ruuppa

WHOAguitarninja said:
Just remember to make a ton of saves; I had 400+ manual saves on my first playthrough.

That said, I rarely had a crash, only about 8 times during the whole course of the game while using most of the suggested fixes in the thread. Now waiting for new patches/mods before starting a dumb-dumb playthrough.

jax (old)

Banned
Wallach said:

while this oughta have worked. It was fine for me til it was time to go talk to the dson and he attacked me. I was like wtfbbq. but killed him.

ah joy~!

GDGF

Soothsayer
TTG said:
The Helios sidequest is pissing me off. There are two brain bots in the damn tower(maybe a lot more actually, I've only gotten 2 rooms in), I can avoid one but not the other. Who thought it was a good idea to make them complete bullet sponges? Yay time to waste all the ammo and stimpaks I have because this one ridiculous enemy is way overpowered and will bring no reward. To add to the fun, that room keeps glitching out. Crashed once, once my vats stopped working and the last couple of tries the frame rate drops to about 5 and stays there... how did they get this certified for consoles? enough frustration for one day.

If you're still having problems, try using an incinerator on those bots. Does a great deal of damage against them.

WHOAguitarninja said:

I'm not done yet (too busy savoring the game) but it's only crashed three times on me (in a well known spot with two tents that tends to bring about a crash if you steal armor from one of them and try to repair it...a scenario that is easily skipped)

Wallach

Jax said:
while this oughta have worked. It was fine for me til it was time to go talk to the dson and he attacked me. I was like wtfbbq. but killed him.

ah joy~!

It worked fine for me, but I blew Harland to hell. Like I'm going to go fucking stealth through all those things to find his stupid friend. I thought it was quite humorous when I explored after going back to Davison and the Nightkin left and his friend was dead anyway. :lol

duckroll

Jax said:

ah joy~!

His behavior is a little erratic, and he's supposed to attack you when you return with the bad news if you killed any of his nightkin. There's a "fix" which actually prevents him from going hostile regardless if you kill his nightkin or not while carrying out the mission, but I think that defeats the purpose of the design.

Numpt3

Put about six hours into it so far. Strolled into Nipton for the first time earlier, hoping to unload some of the crap I was carrying at the local store...
What a grim surprise I had :/

Really enjoying it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
NIN90 said:
i mean the two parties in the basement..
both the ghoul and Davison. What you do is sneak down and talk to the ghoul first and get his quest part to find his lady ghoul friend. Next you talk to Davison and get his quest to find the shipping manifest. After that sneak to the jail area and there is a key to the bottom cell door in a desk up top. Once youve found the body, talk to the ghoul to get rid of him then go up when hes gone (so he doesnt start combat.. he will always go hostile if you try to sneak up). To finish just take the manifest back to Davison. Doing the quest this way ensures there is no combat at all.

Top Bottom