• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Not sure I can deal with hardcore mode. Don't mind the eating or drinking, limbs or anything like that but the companion dying is a little much to deal with.

zero margin said:
Not sure I can deal with hardcore mode. Don't mind the eating or drinking, limbs or anything like that but the companion dying is a little much to deal with.
Eh, it's no biggie. They're very tough and if you get into a hard fight odds are that you'll die before they do.

Eating was the most annoying part for me, since hunger takes down your strength, which makes you encumbered. Easily fixed but damn annoying each time!

Gaaraz

Just curious, to someone who doesn't have much gaming time - would you recommend playing through either this or the original?

Danne-Danger said:
Eh, it's no biggie. They're very tough and if you get into a hard fight odds are that you'll die before they do.

Maybe it's my build and/or companion strategy but anytime I get in some tight hallways one of them goes down.

blizeH said:
Just curious, to someone who doesn't have much gaming time - would you recommend playing through either this or the original?

eh, these are not really the games meant to be played blazing through. You're on foot and it's a huge world

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
blizeH said:

if money isn't a concern, this is the better game, but you can get Fallout 3 GOTY with all the DLC for less than this

it's worth playing but by the time you're done with Fallout 3 I doubt you'll be eager to jump into this

Timber

Anasui Kishibe said:
so I finally went to the fort, and met Caesar.
But since I didnt want to side with the asshole, I meant to get back to mr House and give him the Chip, but the imbeciles wouldn't let me go out with the stuff. I checked some guides and someone posted that I had to punch the guards in the bunker, and run to Cottonwood Cove as fast as possible. So I did, and obviously had to kill everyone there. Power Armor+Level 30+ Gobi Rifle did the trick in a couple of minutes. What I didn't know, however, was that Mr House wanted me to go back to the Fort, no explanation given, so I went back there and THE WHOLE FUCKING CAMP went against me, dogs included. Jesus, that was one hectic battle. About thirty or more centurions, mongrels, guards, praetorii, thank god for the Holy Grenades and Super Stmpaks. Then I checked out Caesar's tent...another shitstorm of death. Cornered, I had to shield myself from the Holy Nades thrown half a meter from me. Guards with nasty Ballistic Punches, Vulpes, mongrels again, Caesar himself. Camp was one big slaughterhouse. And I freed Benny
. What a fulfilling moment.
what's great about this is that during your first encounter with Caesar
when he asks you to destroy House's bunker, you can side with House all the same and ingratiate yourself with Caesar afterwards by telling him you did his bidding.

but a massive killing spree works too, i suppose :)

Lothars

blizeH said:

I like both games equally but I would say go for the Fallout 3 GOTY and see how you like it.

by the time your done with fallout 3 you will be able to find new vegas for cheaper and hopefully bug free with some DLC because right now I would recommend staying away from new vegas until some patches.

Timber said:
what's great about this is that during your first encounter with Caesar
when he asks you to destroy House's bunker, you can side with House all the same and ingratiate yourself with Caesar afterwards by telling him you did his bidding.

but a massive killing spree works too, i suppose :)

argh, see.. I woulda liked this more. :/ Maybe I missed that one bit of convo...

dwebo

Anasui Kishibe said:
argh, see.. I woulda liked this more. :/ Maybe I missed that one bit of convo...
Well in your defense, there's no indication you can actually do this until
you go to the bunker and side with House. When you come out, everyone just thinks all the rumbling was you destroying everything. :lol

Zeliard said:
What's the issue with Veronica's leveling that it needs a mod to fix it? She hasn't really had any issues in combat so far in my playthrough, so if that fix only makes her more powerful, then I'm staying away from it.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35124

Currently Veronica never changes no matter what level you are. She will always have 215hp and ends up getting slaughtered by anything you fight at high levels. This mod makes her work the same as the other companions, and it will fix her whether or not you've already recruited her in your game.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I knew something was up when ED-E has more damn HP than Veronica :lol Totally gonna take up Cass now. Its too bad, I liked that Veronica can wear Power Armor (can any other companions wear it?).

Lothars said:
by the time your done with fallout 3 you will be able to find new vegas for cheaper and hopefully bug free with some DLC because right now I would recommend staying away from new vegas until some patches.

Sixty hours and counting, two crashes. And both were times when I hadn't cleared the 360's cache before playing. Consider my situation a rarity, I suppose. A friend's copy of Vegas wasn't working, but he recently bought a Slim console and said the game works fine now. Theoretically it could be that the game simply just doesn't want to agree with some systems.

It's unfortunate, and I really hope Obsidian fixes it, but it is not worth dissuading someone from purchasing it. Vegas is a great game, and worth playing despite some naggling issues.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
anyone run into the Strip gate bug?

the one where the gate is locked and you need a key but there is none, and the robots just tell you to move along.. I found the work around on the Internet but that pretty much is a huge game breaking bug if the tram is gone.. you can still kill the bots but that could mess up how you have been playing the game. I am shocked that as well known as it is that they have not rushed to fix a bug that could stop you from finishing the game

BlueTsunami said:
I knew something was up when ED-E has more damn HP than Veronica :lol Totally gonna take up Cass now. Its too bad, I liked that Veronica can wear Power Armor (can any other companions wear it?).
Both Boone and Raul can use power armour, I assumed all companions could.
zero margin said:
Maybe it's my build and/or companion strategy but anytime I get in some tight hallways one of them goes down.
Ah, well I did have 10 CHA so maybe my experience won't translate to other characters, and I played on very hard so they could take more punishment and dish out more damage than I could (well, Boone could).

dwebo said:
Well in your defense, there's no indication you can actually do this until
you go to the bunker and side with House. When you come out, everyone just thinks all the rumbling was you destroying everything. :lol

so that's it? Ah well, at least they got what they deserved...I'da killed em all one way or another :lol

on a sidenote: Fisto! :lol :lol :lol

am I the only one who "tried" him and replied "That all you've got, robot?" :lol

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Do you lose
Arcade Gannon
as a companion if you finish his quest?
I convinced him to join in the fight, so he told me he had to go do something. In the meantime, I went and got Daisy's Enclave armor and training. When I was done with that I exited the bunker, whereupon Arcade returns, talks a bit, then runs back into the bunker. I take it that if it's not a bug, it's just an implication that he's going to fight with his Remnant friends and not reappear until they storm the dam?

Also, I'm hating how the patches that are supposed to fix things are breaking even more things. Apparently
Raul's
companion quest is unavailable due to the dialogue cues disappearing after the one patch.

Blackace

Anasui Kishibe said:
so that's it? Ah well, at least they got what they deserved...I'da killed em all one way or another :lol

on a sidenote: Fisto! :lol :lol :lol

am I the only one who "tried" him and replied "That all you've got, robot?" :lol

hahah I was tempted.. but thought I might lose Karma.. :(

I don't know why, but Fallout always brings out the sadist in me.

(minor spoilers if you enlarge)

Luckily he seems to have had much longer limbs than me, the suit was a perfect fit.

Yes that's him hanging in the back there, and his legs (though not attached).

But hey, they had it coming.

Timber

i can't remember ever having laughed b/c of a videogame as much as when fisto, immediately upon activation,
said " please assume the position."

voltron

zero margin said:

Yeah. Just be vigilant with your saving. You should be doing that anyway ;) This is an open-world Bethesda game after all (engine, I know Obsidian made it).

Hardcore mode is essential IMO. The game is too easy otherwise. I actually wish HC mode was a little harder in as much as you rarely need to eat and sleep. They could have made those needs a little more urgent. Makes sense that water is the most pressing concern though.

Limbs arent a problem as long as you make a shit load of hydra at a camp site. And yeah Ive had to reload a lot of times due to a companion dying, but its not that big a deal. Reload and tell the dumb fuck to wait then go on ahead and take out the threat!

voltron

Danne-Danger said:
Just finished it (
independent
) and I think it's fair to say that Obsidian mopped the floor with Bethesda in every category with this game. It really felt like a Fallout game and if it wasn't for this lousy gambryo engine I wouldn't really have any complaints about it.

I tip my hat to the boys at Obsidian (yet again!).

Oh come one dude. Really? Bethesdas Fallout was a great game. Theres no way you can say Obsidian "mopped the floor" with them.

Totally agree about the engine though. Fuck it sux and is ugly as hell now.

JOHN CARMACK WORK ON THE TECH FOR THE NEXT FALLOUT/ES GAMES PLEASE!!!

Blackace

people are going to hate on Fallout 3 and even this no matter what.. But if anybody had played Wasteland as a kid should know that 3 and NV feels like Wasteland should...

There is still that rumor of Wasteland 2 coming.. *Prays*

voltron said:
Yeah. Just be vigilant with your saving. You should be doing that anyway ;) This is an open-world Bethesda game after all (engine, I know Obsidian made it).

Hardcore mode is essential IMO. The game is too easy otherwise. I actually wish HC mode was a little harder in as much as you rarely need to eat and sleep. They could have made those needs a little more urgent. Makes sense that water is the most pressing concern though.

Limbs arent a problem as long as you make a shit load of hydra at a camp site. And yeah Ive had to reload a lot of times due to a companion dying, but its not that big a deal. Reload and tell the dumb fuck to wait then go on ahead and take out the threat!

Good advice. I don't use wait much and that is not helping I'm sure. I do save pretty regularly but obviously not enough.

Blackace

Anasui Kishibe said:
nah no karma...just Fisto saying something about upgrades and such:lol

it is also awesome when you turn him in..

Zeliard said:
Doh, getting a replacement soon?

I'm gonna install FOOK. Looks to be some solid changes/additions so far.

Maybe in a couple weeks when I have $200 to spare. Nothing flashy, just a card that will run Vegas and maybe Left 4 Dead 2.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Blackace said:
people are going to hate on Fallout 3 and even this no matter what.. But if anybody had played Wasteland as a kid should know that 3 and NV feels like Wasteland should...

There is still that rumor of Wasteland 2 coming.. *Prays*

Agreed.

And again, there are some areas where FO3 beats NV. They're not many, but they exist. I can't listen to the radio without hearing the same 4 songs over and over, the glitches are more abundant and the visual spectacle of Washington DC was more impactful than the disappointment that was the Strip.

NV is easily a better game, but let's not shit all over FO3. They're both excellent.

Blackace

WanderingWind said:
Agreed.

And again, there are some areas where FO3 beats NV. They're not many, but they exist. I can't listen to the radio without hearing the same 4 songs over and over, the glitches are more abundant and the visual spectacle of Washington DC was more impactful than the disappointment that was the Strip.

NV is easily a better game, but let's not shit all over FO3. They're both excellent.

without a doubt. Also, Fallout 3 was basically Fallout of this kind 1... 2 had the advantage of just being able to take from the one before it..

Blackace said:
without a doubt. Also, Fallout 3 was basically Fallout of this kind 1... 2 had the advantage of just being able to take from the one before it..

That's an interesting take. Never though of it that way before.

voltron

I just had the weirdest thing happen. After entering a building from the desert the gun that I had equipped was suddenly not in my inventory any more. Just disappeared.

Also a health item I had hot-keyed was not hot-keyed any more. WTF?

Ive been pretty luck so far and havent really experienced and glitchiness (other than open-world jank), so I have no idea if this is common or what. Confused the fuck outta me for a couple of minutes though!

Weirdest glitch/hiccup I've had was when I fast traveled with 198/200 lbs, and when I got to my destination I had 201/200 lbs. Had to drop my goddamned shovel to keep going. It's still there out in front of the Mormon Fort every time I run by. I'm leaving it there as a morality test for Freeside. So far no NPC has been brave enough to touch my property.

WanderingWind said:
Agreed.

to me, F3 beats NV in every aspect minus the story, which sucks in both games

Timber

the fact that in these games the main plot is something that exists almost on the side, and that your goal remains distant until you near the end, is something i love about these humongous RPGs. fallout 1 and 2 were like this, and so were bethesda's earlier games. by having plots that are only vaguely pronounced - find a GECK, find your father, etc. - and by placing greater importance on world building, they are the closest approximation of what i want RPGs (and video games in general) to be: a collection of many stories instead of just one. the central plot of new vegas doesn't seem to go beyond "who run the mojave?", and i'm fine with that as long as stuff like vault 11 and the boomers are there. all these remote locations and side characters are as much a part of the narrative as mr. house or what have you.

Lothars

disappeared said:
Sixty hours and counting, two crashes. And both were times when I hadn't cleared the 360's cache before playing. Consider my situation a rarity, I suppose. A friend's copy of Vegas wasn't working, but he recently bought a Slim console and said the game works fine now. Theoretically it could be that the game simply just doesn't want to agree with some systems.

It's unfortunate, and I really hope Obsidian fixes it, but it is not worth dissuading someone from purchasing it. Vegas is a great game, and worth playing despite some naggling issues.

I agree that New Vegas is a great game and worth playing but I've had tons of crashes some other annoying bugs, it runs mostly fine for me on 360 though I would tell anyone to buy Fallout 3 GOTY before New Vegas because these bugs might not occur for everyone but I suspect it will happen more often than not.

voltron

Ok this game really needs a fucking patch.

Bought an Incinerator from a merchant that just didnt show up in my inventory after purchasing.

WTF

dwebo

voltron said:
Also a health item I had hot-keyed was not hot-keyed any more. WTF?
This will happen if either you run out of the item, or you go to
the Fort
and they take away all your stuff. It's annoying, to be sure.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Timber said:
the fact that in these games the main plot is something that exists almost on the side, and that your goal remains distant until you near the end, is something i love about these humongous RPGs. fallout 1 and 2 were like this, and so were bethesda's earlier games. by having plots that are only vaguely pronounced - find a GECK, find your father, etc. - and by placing greater importance on world building, they are the closest approximation of what i want RPGs (and video games in general) to be: a collection of many stories instead of just one. the central plot of new vegas doesn't seem to go beyond "who run the mojave?", and i'm fine with that as long as stuff like vault 11 and the boomers are there. all these remote locations and side characters are as much a part of the narrative as mr. house or what have you.

Go fetch a water chip! Oh, sorry, the water chip is in another castle!

voltron

dwebo said:
This will happen if either you run out of the item, or you go to
the Fort
and they take away all your stuff. It's annoying, to be sure.

yeah I know it happens if you run out. I still had some left!

TTG

WanderingWind said:
Agreed.

Weird, I agree with all of your points except the last one. Granted, I've only just made it to the strip, doing almost all the sidequests along the way before I got there... does it get that much better? I haven't had a single quest that was as memorable as the FO3 stuff. It's been 2 years, and I still remember a lot of those side quests in detail. Some of these are about 10 minutes long and with a single outcome, first time I ran into one of those, I couldn't believe they let it slide. The longer stuff(Helios1 etc.) has been mundane.

Not to keep harping on about the negatives, but the visuals are flat out poor. Some of the geometry is flat, may as well be last gen, rectangular fences with a single texture plastered over... completely rectangular rooms with nothing in them. Oh, and did anyone else notice how the amount of NPCs with nothing to say seemed to have at least doubled?

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Blackace said:
anyone run into the Strip gate bug?

the one where the gate is locked and you need a key but there is none, and the robots just tell you to move along.. I found the work around on the Internet but that pretty much is a huge game breaking bug if the tram is gone.. you can still kill the bots but that could mess up how you have been playing the game. I am shocked that as well known as it is that they have not rushed to fix a bug that could stop you from finishing the game
Yes. I haven't played the game since this happened. I could not figure out how to get a key without changing my reputation to the negative. I need a DLC package for the 360 that allows me to use something like the console command on PC to fix this crap. There is no way they're going to be able to fix all of these damn bugs.

Top Bottom