• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wallach said:
Surprised you think shotguns aren't great. Outside of extreme ranges they feel like the most powerful weapons in the game.
On Very Hard your DAM is cut in half, which means buckshot is going to be absorbed by quite a few enemies DT. The shotgun surgeon perk only helps a little with that. You could use slugs but they aren't as common.

Dresden

ElyrionX said:
Unlike others here, I don't think reducing the amount of skillpoints you get is necessarily a good thing in this game. In FO3, I maxed out Guns/Energy Weapons/Melee/Unarmed and that afforded me a ton of flexibility in the way I played. I liked that a lot. I started out with Guns and gradually moved to Melee/Unarmed/Sneak as I leveled and it kept the combat fresh. In NV, if I want to do a Melee build, I pretty much have to go Melee the entire game. That kind of sucks since I rarely ever replay an entire game. Also, I don't understand why they had to go make Melee and Unarmed so intertwined that it's practically impossible to take one without the other and not gimp your own build.
The difference between a 5 and 9 intelligence is two skillpoints per level. It's not like FO3 where Intelligence was the best stat in the game.

Melee and unarmed might seem like they're intertwined, but really, if you take unarmed there's no need for any melee skills. Super Slam is decent but hardly needed. Unstoppable Force sucks ass. Ninja requires not only a high Melee skill but also high sneak. You get enough special moves in Unarmed--especially the Ranger takedown.

Finally--there's no need to invest in melee or unarmed at all if you just want a decent side-weapon. Grab Heavy-Handed at the beginning and raise your strength a bit, to six or seven. A super sledge or ballistic fist is still going to destroy things. Getting perks like Cowboy or Ninja isn't needed at all.

Word of advice, if you ever send ED-E away for a quest, CLEAR HIS INVENTORY FIRST or it will (may?) all be lost. Just lost ~600 MF Cells for being careless and trusting
those filthy Followers of the Apocalypse
with my stuff.

You want to have a high sneak. It's one of the more useful skills you can put points into. 15% crit on melee is incredible - remember crit stacking is the easiest way to break the game. Super Slam is very good as well. It usually procs on the 1st or 2nd swing and sends everything from deathclaws to super mutants to top tier NCR/legion troops to the floor with a huge recovery time. It's basically an overpowered stun with a near 100% activation rate.

By the way, on Very Hard, the Legendary Deathclaw will one shot your courier even if they have 40 DT and 400+ HP. If it hits you while in VATS you'll be two shot.

Mako_Drug

Well I was in Boulder Town (or whatever its called) just finished a quest, exited a building and went to talk to some random npc about how great I was when as soon as I hit the X button to talk the PS3 just resets. Instantly. 5 secs later I'm staring at the XMB dumbfounded. Weird bugs =/

Luckily thats only the second time its locked up to the point where the game stopped in 10hrs or so.

klee123

I think I've found a possible dlc location in the game.

I don't see any large lakes/river in the game though. I was hoping we'd get something like Point Lookout.

The reason why I really enjoyed the dlc packs in F3 was due to the fact that they change the setting drastically. Point Lookout was the standout dlc pack for me and I hope we'll get something similar.

ElyrionX

mjemirzian said:
You don't need that much INT, really. 4-5 is fine w/ Educated. If you are using a guide to grab all the skill books, you'll have more than enough. You're missing a lot by ignoring melee weapons, and you don't need unarmed perks to have a good melee build. Energy weapons and shotguns aren't that great. As for your perks, not taking Bloody Mess, Cowboy, Living Anatomy, Confirmed Bachelor, Hunter, etc. is not a wise choice.. those are all straight up damage boosts.

Here's what I've got for my build.

SPECIAL: 7 STR, 5 PER, 7-8 END, 1 CHR, 4-5 INT, 6 AGI, 9 LCK.
Tag Repair, Sneak, and Lockpicking. Perks: 01 Fast Shot and Built to Destroy, 02 Rapid Reloads, 04 Educated, 06 Bloody Mess, 08 Cowboy, 10 Finesse, 12 Confirmed Bachelor, 14 Hunter, 16 Better Criticals, 18 Purifier, 20 Ninja, 22 Super Slam, 24 Jury Rigging, 26 Nerves of Steel, 28 Living Anatomy, 30 Math Wrath.

Fast Shot: Faster shots = more damage per second. Accuracy isn't as important.
Built to Destroy: The durability decrease isn't much compared to the extra crit stacking.
Rapid Reloads: A useful perk when you have several deathclaws, cazadors, nightclaws, etc. charging you and you need every second to count before they slaughter you or your companions, due to the very high damage they put out on Very Hard, even if you have 40 DT. If you're fighting groups of enemies, you'll have to reload eventually and the faster reloading will increase DPS. Finally, some weapons have pretty long reloads, although you won't be using them much once you have the really good ones.
Educated: You'll get an extra 50 or so skill points with this ability. It's not a mandatory perk, but it helps you get your Science and Med to 70 so you can pick up Living Anatomy and Math Wrath, and helps you get your Speech skill up.
Bloody Mess: 5% more damage on everything
Cowboy: Revolvers like the Ranger Sequoia and Mysterious Magnum pack a significant punch, and lever-action firearms includes powerful rifles like That Machine and the Cowboy Repeater.
Finesse: 5% more crit
Confirmed Bachelor: 10% more damage on male targets - perfect for a boost on legion troops and any other male targets
Hunter: Animals and mutated animals include Cazadors and Lakelurks. A 75% crit boost on these targets is great.
Better Criticals: 50% more crit damage
Purifier: Purifier targets Abomination, Ghoul, and Super Mutant type enemies, all of which tend to have a lot of HP.
Ninja: With this perk you'll be getting crits on almost every melee swing, making Oh, Baby! a very deadly weapon.
Super Slam: Activates all the time on blunt weapons. Perfect for knocking high HP enemies like Super Mutants and Deathclaws to the ground.
Jury Rigging: Lets you use powerful unique weapons and armor without having to worry about them eventually wearing out.
Nerves of Steel: More AP regen is always a good thing.
Living Anatomy: 5% more damage on all human targets and non feral ghouls
Math Wrath: 10% less AP use

Other perks to consider:

Commando and/or Sniper: More accuracy in VATS is good.
Grim Reaper's Spirit: Currently bugged so it doesn't work. But it's a good perk.

Thanks for the detailed response. I don't plan on getting all the skill books. Too much of a chore for me so boosting Int to 10 is probably necessary for me to max six skills and probably a seventh one (Science).

Your build looks great but it's geared towards a Guns/Melee build. My current preference is for a Guns/Energy Weapons build simply because I had more fun with Energy Weapons in FO3 than I did with Melee. I wouldn't mind a Energy Weapons/Unarmed build but two of the best perks for Unarmed (Ninja and Super Slam) require Melee and I certainly wouldn't want a Energy Weapons/Unarmed build that doesn't have those.

EDIT: Also, doesn't it bother you that you don't have Piercing Strike and Slayer for your Melee build?

Also, has anyone here taken the Meltdown perk? It sounds cool but I'm afraid it'll just make using Energy Weapons a pain in the ass especially indoors.

ElyrionX

Dresden said:
The difference between a 5 and 9 intelligence is two skillpoints per level. It's not like FO3 where Intelligence was the best stat in the game.

Melee and unarmed might seem like they're intertwined, but really, if you take unarmed there's no need for any melee skills. Super Slam is decent but hardly needed. Unstoppable Force sucks ass. Ninja requires not only a high Melee skill but also high sneak. You get enough special moves in Unarmed--especially the Ranger takedown.

Finally--there's no need to invest in melee or unarmed at all if you just want a decent side-weapon. Grab Heavy-Handed at the beginning and raise your strength a bit, to six or seven. A super sledge or ballistic fist is still going to destroy things. Getting perks like Cowboy or Ninja isn't needed at all.

Well, for a Melee or Unarmed build, I would definitely take Sneak because it adds another dimension of gameplay to the build. I loved hiding in the shadows in FO3 and waiting for Super Mutants/Deathclaws to walk by oblivious and sneaking criting them from behind with a Shish or Deathclaw Gauntlet. I did the entire Deathclaw lair this way in FO3. It was great.

The problem with your suggestion is, would the ballistic fist still be viable in mid to late game without any investment into the skill? I doubt it and I really wanted a build that gave me at least two different weapons/ways to attack. Like I said above, Energy Weapons/Unarmed would have been my favoured build but missing out on some of the perks that require Melee would bother me so much when playing the game that I'm just not going to bother at all. And I didn't want a character that can only viably attack in close range.

ElyrionX said:
Your build looks great but it's geared towards a Guns/Melee build. My current preference is for a Guns/Energy Weapons build simply because I had more fun with Energy Weapons in FO3 than I did with Melee. I wouldn't mind a Energy Weapons/Unarmed build but two of the best perks for Unarmed (Ninja and Super Slam) require Melee and I certainly wouldn't want a Energy Weapons/Unarmed build that doesn't have those.

EDIT: Also, doesn't it bother you that you don't have Piercing Strike and Slayer for your Melee build?

Also, has anyone here taken the Meltdown perk? It sounds cool but I'm afraid it'll just make using Energy Weapons a pain in the ass especially indoors.

Why don't you go for Energy Weapons/Melee? Get a Gauss Rifle and/or YCS Rifle and go nuts at range, then when an enemy comes close break out the super sledge. Make sure to pick up Energy Commander for that build.

Piercing Strike affects DT (damage threshhold). Heavy melee weapons like the Super Sledge do so much DAM (damage per hit) that the enemy's DT is going to be crushed anyway. Due to the way DAM and DT mechanics work, it's usually preferable to have a high DAM weapon than a high DPS weapon on Very Hard. This is because on Very Hard your damage is cut in half and low DAM/high DPS weapons will end up doing less damage overall because they have a higher DT hurdle to overcome per hit. Slayer is very nice, but once you hit something with a Super Sledge w/ the Super Slam perk, they are going to be helplessly stunned on the ground and dead in seconds anyway.

If you want to test a build out on PC, enter this in the console:

player.rewardxp 100000
Then to 'pretend' to mod your stats or skills up:
player.modav stat 1

According to the fallout wiki: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Nerves_of_Steel

The Perk was retooled in Fallout New Vegas to make it far more effective than the lackluster version in Fallout 3. According to the Fallout: New Vegas GECK the perk now increases the regeneration rate of Action Points by +20%.

So I suppose increasing your AP total will make Nerves of Steel more effective at AP regen.

ElyrionX

mjemirzian said:
Why don't you go for Energy Weapons/Melee? Get a Gauss Rifle and/or YCS Rifle and go nuts at range, then when an enemy comes close break out the super sledge. Make sure to pick up Energy Commander for that build.

Piercing Strike affects DT (damage threshhold). Heavy melee weapons like the Super Sledge do so much DAM (damage per hit) that the enemy's DT is going to be crushed anyway. Due to the way DAM and DT mechanics work, it's usually preferable to have a high DAM weapon than a high DPS weapon on Very Hard. This is because on Very Hard your damage is cut in half and low DAM/high DPS weapons will end up doing less damage overall because they have a higher DT hurdle to overcome per hit.

Slayer is very nice, but frankly once you hit something with a Super Sledge w/ the Super Slam perk, they are going to be helplessly stunned on the ground and dead in seconds anyway.

Hmmm, worth a thought but like I said, I don't really like Melee weapons overall because I prefer bladed over blunt weapons (in all RPGs I play) and the bladed weapons in this game are all pretty ugly. It's an aesthetics and roleplay issue for me here.

From a min/max perspective, what you're saying definitely makes sense though.

bunbun777

klee123 said:

I don't see any large lakes/river in the game though. I was hoping we'd get something like Point Lookout.

Lake Mead

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
klee123 said:

The reason why I really enjoyed the dlc packs in F3 was due to the fact that they change the setting drastically. Point Lookout was the standout dlc pack for me and I hope we'll get something similar.

Yeah, absolutely. I loved that Point Lookout felt like its own contained world with the same scope of the main game, just smaller.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did some DLC that takes place in Utah, though. The Mormon traders are mentioned in New Vegas (I haven't actually seen them yet, if you ever do) and I believe Black Isle was going to set Fallout 3/Van Buren there with a story about a fundamentalist religion taking hold of the state.

Dresden

ElyrionX said:
Meltdown is pretty insane, especially if you get a gauss rifle. Turns everything you kill into a plasma bomb and will proc chain reactions. Only problem is that if they're in melee-range, you're essentially blowing up a grenade in your face.

But if you're going guns-energy, than just pull out a shotgun.

The problem with your suggestion is, would the ballistic fist still be viable in mid to late game without any investment into the skill?
It was viable for me. Everything short of Deathclaws died easily. And yes, this was on Very Hard. >_> Crit stacking is powerful but you need to plan out your build around it and it takes a while to get going, especially if you want to take Ninja and such.

Like I said above, Energy Weapons/Unarmed would have been my favoured build but missing out on some of the perks that require Melee would bother me so much when playing the game that I'm just not going to bother at all.
To each his own, right? You can't build a jack-of-all-trades in New Vegas. You're going to miss out on some things, that's just the way the game is built. Unarmed and Melee just function fine without a heavy investment.

Hey guys, how does the PS3 version compare to the PC with respect to bugs? Is there anything missing (sandstorms? :) ) on the ps3 version (I am not talking about mods or resolution here)? Any risk of console-exclusive DLC (that's probably completely unknown at this point)?

I have a 17 unarmed skill and 100 guns.
Pushy seems to do more damage than my gobi Sniper with AP rounds, or any of my other named guns.
The Riot shotgun is the only thing that comes close to matching my unarmed weapons damage output. Factor in that you don't have to reload with melee or carry ammo, an unarmed build can be very powerful. Don't forget about all the useful Unarmed moves you can learn also. My next character is definitely going to be stealth/unarmed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
harriet the spy said:
Hey guys, how does the PS3 version compare to the PC with respect to bugs? Is there anything missing (sandstorms? :) ) on the ps3 version (I am not talking about mods or resolution here)? Any risk of console-exclusive DLC (that's probably completely unknown at this point)?
They are going to have the exact same scripting bugs and from what I have heard, the PS3 version crashes out. PC issues/scripting issues are being fixed by the community at a scary rapid pace.

Unarmed is good, just not as good as melee. You'll probably do just fine with energy weapons/unarmed, it just won't be as broken as ninja+super slam+oh, baby!

Wallach

mjemirzian said:
On Very Hard your DAM is cut in half, which means buckshot is going to be absorbed by quite a few enemies DT. The shotgun surgeon perk only helps a little with that. You could use slugs but they aren't as common.

It's not really a big deal, slugs are probably the most common non-standard ammo variant in the game. You can convert standard shells into slugs with a very low repair skill (25 or something).

I wonder when the next patch will come out. This game froze on me at least five times yesterday. Also I'd say more than half the people I've seen sitting down in this game are usually floating next to chairs/stools.

rainking187 said:
I wonder when the next patch will come out. This game froze on me at least five times yesterday. Also I'd say more than half the people I've seen sitting down in this game are usually floating next to chairs/stools.
In my 70+ hours of playing, I have had 3 CTD's. Frustrating to be sure, but I try to save about every 10-15 minutes to avoid losing too much progress.

Other than that, I have only had 1 instance of an NPC being stuck in geometry and 1 time where Boone straight ditched me, only to show up about 3 hours later at the bottom of vault 34.

This game really does need to be patched up though, too many people running into bugs/glitches.

So is killing
Caesar before the end game
a really bad idea? I went into his tent and managed to kill him and get away from those insane guards, but the game didn't say anything... I'm wondering if the game might go cuckoo some time in the future now that he's out of the picture.

I'm currently working with The Yes Man and I don't plan to ally with either NCR or the Legion (obviously).

Danne-Danger said:
So is killing
Caesar before the end game
a really bad idea? I went into his tent and managed to kill him and get away from those insane guards, but the game didn't say anything... I'm wondering if the game might go cuckoo some time in the future now that he's out of the picture.

I'm currently working with The Yes Man and I don't plan to ally with either NCR or the Legion (obviously).
Not at all. I did the same thing and nothing was "broken". The game world and the NPC's will actually have new dialogue related to that, if you go through with it. Good luck though, it's not an easy fight.

Ferrio

Banned
So i entered the lottery town place and these jackasses were there. I killed them but a quest failed. Now I understand it won't screw up the game, but am I losing out on game content?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I've experienced my first game-breaking bug in Obsidian game. I can't enter the Strip anymore. It requires the key. I browsed interwebs and found Camp McCarren monorail solution. Also you can kill the robot and take the key, then return in 3 days and they'll be neutral again. But is there any other legitimate solution?

It happened after I'd whiped McGrafs.

Darkshier said:
Not at all. I did the same thing and nothing was "broken". The game world and the NPC's will actually have new dialogue related to that, if you go through with it. Good luck though, it's not an easy fight.
Yeah well it's already done, I'm gonna have to find a way to take out those powerfist guards one-by-one though, they get pretty overwhelming in a group. Or I could just Stealth Boy my way back to the sweet, sweet loot.

Wallach

Ferrio said:
So i entered the lottery town place and these jackasses were there. I killed them but a quest failed. Now I understand it won't screw up the game, but am I losing out on game content?

Sort of. One quest you failed was the one where you do as that guy asked and tell an NCR guy about how scary the Legion is (which is worth very little exp and just makes the guy comment about how he's more scared of the Legion). You also lose the ability to take quests from him if you are going to work for the Legion, though I'm guessing that given the circumstances you are not interested in that. On the other hand the game does recognize what you did there so it's not a complete waste if you're satisfied with being hostile to them.

Ferrio said:

You pretty much can't do all the quests in one go. You aren't screwing any thing up, but this game has content only available whether you are working for certain factions or not.

subversus said:
I've experienced my first game-breaking bug in Obsidian game. I can't enter the Strip anymore. It requires the key. I browsed interwebs and found Camp McCarren monorail solution. Also you can kill the robot and take the key, then return in 3 days and they'll be neutral again. But is there any other legitimate solution?

It happened after I'd whiped McGrafs.

When this happenened to me, I was so confused and frustrated for a bit. I had no idea why it happened or how to fix it. I eventually remembered the monorail and was able to take that in and it worked to fix the main Strip entrance. Not sure if this is a bug or what.

Danne-Danger said:
Yeah well it's already done, I'm gonna have to find a way to take out those powerfist guards one-by-one though, they get pretty overwhelming in a group. Or I could just Stealth Boy my way back to the sweet, sweet loot.
The only advice I have is to use as many chems and food items you can, to buff up your stats. Stealth Boy is also a valid option and one that I didn't think of.

ElyrionX said:
Hmmm, worth a thought but like I said, I don't really like Melee weapons overall because I prefer bladed over blunt weapons (in all RPGs I play) and the bladed weapons in this game are all pretty ugly. It's an aesthetics and roleplay issue for me here.

From a min/max perspective, what you're saying definitely makes sense though.

How about this for an energy weapon/unarmed build:

02 Confirmed Bachelor, 04 Educated, 06 Bloody Mess, 08 Hunter, 10 Finesse, 12 Plasma Spaz or Commando, 14 Purifier, 16 Better Criticals, 18 Jury Rigging, 20 Sniper, 22 Laser Commander, 24 Slayer, 26 Nerves of Steel, 28 Living Anatomy, 30 Super Slam

Dresden

mjemirzian said:
How about this for an energy weapon/unarmed build:

02 Confirmed Bachelor, 04 Educated, 06 Bloody Mess, 08 Hunter, 10 Finesse, 12 Plasma Spaz or Commando, 14 Purifier, 16 Better Criticals, 18 Jury Rigging, 20 Sniper, 22 Laser Commander, 24 Slayer, 26 Nerves of Steel, 28 Living Anatomy, 30 Super Slam
Uh... Laser Commander, when laser weapons suck and you'll be relying on plasma/gauss weaponry? Hunter? Animals, mutated or not, are weak. Where's science and vigilant recycler for max-charge MFC for the YCS rifle? Math Whiz is superior to Plasma Spaz and works for your end-game weapon as well. And why would you take unarmed and not grab Piercing Strike. And where the hell is Meltdown, the single most destructive perk in the game?

kitch9

Banned
Well I'm level 22 and many many hours in and I decide to unlock the explorer perk......

Fuck me, I haven't even started now when I look at my map.....

Finalow

finalozzo said:
what does the skill educated do? It says: "3 points extra each level" but i always take 15 points and not 18. :-|
can anyone help me? *perk educated.
edit: sorry educated, not expert.

kitch9 said:
Well I'm level 22 and many many hours in and I decide to unlock the explorer perk......

Fuck me, I haven't even started now when I look at my map.....

I never get the explorer perk, I just look at a map online if im looking for a location :lol

finalozzo said:
I'm not sure which perk or skill you are referring to my man.

Doh, saw the edit. Educated perk gives you +2 skill points to use when you level up. The amount of skill points you gain per level is also affected by your INT stat.

thorin

finalozzo said:
what does the skill expert do? It says: "3 points extra each level" but i always take 15 points and not 18. :-|
The Educated perk only gives an extra 2 skill points per level, not 3. If you have 5 INT then 15 points per level is what you should be getting with the perk.

Wallach

finalozzo said:

Educated gives you +2 skill points per level. Normally your skill points per level are 10 + (INT / 2), so for example a 6 INT would get 13 skill points per level. With Educated you'd get 15 per level instead.

finalozzo said:

Just looked on the wiki, it says educated gives a 2 point boost every level, its either bugged or the descriptions wrong.

Edit: Beaten, twice no less :lol

Dresden said:
Uh... Laser Commander, when laser weapons suck and you'll be relying on plasma/gauss weaponry? Hunter? Animals, mutated or not, are weak. Where's science and vigilant recycler for max-charge MFC for the YCS rifle? Math Whiz is superior to Plasma Spaz and works for your end-game weapon as well. And why would you take unarmed and not grab Piercing Strike. And where the hell is Meltdown, the single most destructive perk in the game?
Not sure what to take in place of hunter that early in the build. Slaughtering annoying swarms of geckos isn't too bad, anyway.

Why not take laser commander? Laser weapons are not too bad when they have a huge amount of crit attached to them. Piercing Strike isn't particularly useful since the best unarmed/melee weapons (super sledge, ballistic fist) deal a high amount of DAM anyway. Um ok.. the vigilant recycler description doesn't say anything about being able to make 'max charge ammo'. Why can't you get that recipie some other way? I haven't tried meltdown but I don't like the idea of an enemy blowing up in my face or killing my companions.

Dresden

mjemirzian said:
Why not take laser commander? Laser weapons are not too bad when they have a huge amount of crit attached to them. Piercing Strike isn't particularly useful since the best unarmed/melee weapons (super sledge, ballistic fist) deal a high amount of DAM anyway. Um ok.. the vigilant recycler description doesn't say anything about being able to make 'max charge ammo'. Why can't you get that recipie some other way? I haven't tried meltdown but I don't like the idea of an enemy blowing up in my face or killing my companions.
Cazadors go down with a couple shots from the unique plasma rifle... and the YCS one shots them. Hunter sucks. And fucking please. Don't talk to me about 'not playing the game enough' when it's clear you haven't even gone through the game with an energy-focused character. Laser weapons suck ass, period, because plasma and gauss weaponry outclasses them in every way. Science is attached to energy ammo crafting and vigilant recycler stems off that. Meltdown is fucking awesome and you'd know this if you played around with it just for a bit.

edit: and you edited out the first part of your post. Whatever, I'll tone it down.

Dresden said:
Cazadors go down with a couple shots from the unique plasma rifle... and the YCS one shots them. Hunter sucks. And fucking please. Don't talk to me about 'not playing the game enough' when it's clear you haven't even gone through the game with an energy-focused character. Stop with the fucking theorycrafting.
It's amazing how you keep playing the game and enemies only come at you one at a time. Simply amazing. At least I admit I haven't tried perks like meltdown, while you can't come to grips with the fact that enemies sometimes attack in numbers.

Raxus

mjemirzian said:
Unarmed is good, just not as good as melee. You'll probably do just fine with energy weapons/unarmed, it just won't be as broken as ninja+super slam+oh, baby!
I dunno unarmed has some great move in and out of vats and once you get a good power fist you can really bring the pain. The Oh Baby! is fantastic though, helped me get my melee achievement faster than I ever could hope.

I am torn now I have done the legion, and Mr. House quests and I was doing the 'Independent' quest thinking it would lead to another 'bad ending' only to find out the character involved is one of the funniest characters in the game.

Dresden

kyo_daikun said:
Is the Plasma shotgun weapon really worth using? It uses like 6 cells per shot and the damage doesn't seem to be amazing so far.
It sucks. Grab the rifle out of REPCONN HQ or the plasma caster.

It's amazing how you keep playing the game and enemies only come at you one at a time. Simply amazing. At least I admit I haven't tried perks like meltdown, while you can't come to grips with the fact that enemies sometimes attack in numbers.
And what part of your build addressed this issue? None at all.

Dresden said:
It sucks. Grab the rifle out of REPCONN HQ or the plasma caster.

Will do, is
Alien blaster an energy weapon? Im pretty sure it is, just double checking, also did any of the other alien weaponry make it over from Mothership Zeta?

Dresden

kyo_daikun said:
Will do, is
Alien blaster an energy weapon? Im pretty sure it is, just double checking, also did any of the other alien weaponry make it over from Mothership Zeta?
Yeah, the blaster is an energy weapon. I didn't have Wild Wasteland on when I played my energy guy, so I can't tell you anything about how good it is.

I don't think any other alien weapons made it, although some guns like the pulse gun certainly keeps that aesthetic.

duckroll

mjemirzian said:

Well, to be fair. My playthrough as a melee character led me to discover several tricks to controlling a pack of enemies. I found success doing it with Cazadors and Radscorpians. With a companion, it's generally possible to survive a pack attack and still take them out one at a time if you work on positioning and separating them well using both the companion's position and the environment.

Unfortunately I had a lot less luck with ghouls and Deathclaws. They're much faster, and the stronger ghoul types can really fuck me up in tight corridors like in Vault 34. So yeah, it varies from enemy type from my experience. In my case I simply ignored Deathclaws completely because I never felt up to the challenge of fighting them head on. The ghouls I found easier to kill after switching to using Marie, even though my gun skill was low. Head shots and criticals did wonders.

I think if I could see my death stats I would guess that 90% of my deaths have been down to the Cazadors, they are the bane of my Fallout New vegas experience :lol

Dresden said:
And what part of your build addressed this issue? None at all.
I'd say killing things more quickly would be a good solution to lots of incoming enemies, but that might be too obvious. It'll also be ironic when an enemy or enemies gets close to melee you or your companion and you have to switch to another weapon type because the meltdown explosion will kill you or them.

duckroll said:
Well, to be fair. My playthrough as a melee character led me to discover several tricks to controlling a pack of enemies. I found success doing it with Cazadors and Radscorpians. With a companion, it's generally possible to survive a pack attack and still take them out one at a time if you work on positioning and separating them well using both the companion's position and the environment.
Yeah you can kite the slower big enemies like giant radscorpions, and fake cazadors into attacking thin air while your companion shoots them down. Doesn't work with deathclaws though because they are super fast and they lunge when attacking. Also doesn't work if the enemies decide to attack your companion instead.. it only takes a few hits for a cazador to kill an average armored Boone.. he starts complaining about needing a medic at about 2 hits.

X26

Banned
people get way too hung up on builds, just pick the perks you want, it's a single player game and you'll have fun and end up pretty badass regardless of what you pick

Top Bottom