• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Archer

PS3 version:

Anyone run into a bug where you hack a PC terminal, but then any time you try to aim your weapon later, you get the PC screen? Stupid shit like this is really ruining the game play experience.

Also, the movement lag continues.

When the hell are patches going to be released? I picked up the one released Oct 27th, but haven't seen anything that demonstrates that it works.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Agnostic said:
Yes. I haven't played the game since this happened. I could not figure out how to get a key without changing my reputation to the negative. I need a DLC package for the 360 that allows me to use something like the console command on PC to fix this crap. There is no way they're going to be able to fix all of these damn bugs.

do you have the tram in the game still? If you can get a good NCR rep yuo can ride it from the camp near Vegas and once you leave Vegas again it debugs itself...

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Blackace said:
do you have the tram in the game still? If you can get a good NCR rep yuo can ride it from the camp near Vegas and once you leave Vegas again it debugs itself...
That mission was bugged too. I got there in time to defuse the bomb and the train took off with me left on the tracks. I tried reloading a couple times, but I figured the mission was bugged and continued playing. Low and behold, ten hours later of playtime, my game glitches at the strip losing access to the entrance and I have no intention of going back ten hours to reload a save. I'll have to wait for a patch if they even release another one. I have the strategy book so I was searching for an alternative way into the strip. No luck so far.

edgefusion

Arghhrghhrghrhghr, I hope they fix whatever is making the game crash all the damn time. Whenever I go out exploring across the wastes it usually results in a locked up PS3 and being sent back to wherever I last saved. How this stuff got through QA I have no idea.

voltron

Im sure its been mentioned in this thread at some point, but there is official word in the Bethesda New Vegas forum that a patch is coming soon. I believe that was post made on the 20th Oct.

Posted on the 20th Oct by GStaff:

Just wanted to let everyone know, we are currently working on releasing patches/updates as quickly as possible for Fallout: New Vegas, for all platforms. Announcements regarding the patches are forthcoming.

only crashes I've had on pc were upon exiting the game it freezes every time. I mean without fail. 360 version I could count on it freezing up every couple hours, mostly in loading screens.

Dresden

I thought Fallout 3 nailed the setting. From getting out of the Vault for the first time, to gaze upon this dead world, to stepping into that ruined school to fight bandits and see the bones of kids scattered inside a giant cage, to finding way to Megaton, it was pretty epic stuff. And I haven't even mentioned the giant robot yet.

But NV otherwise beats it down, especially regarding the writing.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The game crashed twice going into the same building today...thankfully it worked on my third attempt. :\

And boy, they need to take this engine/animation/scripting out back and shoot it. I freed a prisoner today in a deadly faction's hideout whom I'm friends with, and he has the option to either go with me to kill the leader or go back to his home. So I tell him to come with me. I then hack a computer terminal...and unlock a secret panel that opens to the entrance of the hideout with a ton of enemies. Of course these guys don't care about me, but when I stepped out towards the middle they blew the prisoner's head off.

So I reloaded the game, and told the guy he needs to go back home instead. Then I open up the secret panel for me to get out...and he goes out directly the way he was going when his head was blown off last time. Except this time he was crouching (aka sneak mode), so the guys standing a few inches away never saw him as he got in front of them all to the exit safe and sound.

It was pretty hilarious. :lol

lol, one of the funniest bugs for me has to be in the quest in which you have to free some prisoners from a small Legion camp. So I go there, free them and lay waste on the scumbags. 38 hours later I happen to fast travel there to mark some unchecked points and there's still a prisoner trying to sneak around, so i blow his head off as well

well the first F:NV mods have begun showing up. for a quick and easy (it's only 10k) upgrade to the graphics I recommend the "Realistic Lighting" mod

default:
ScreenShot9.jpg

URWL for New Vegas - Realistic Lighting:
ScreenShot10.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Congrats on making some of the ugliest images I have ever seen. The game gives you a lot to work with, but you really took it to another level with the disgusting compression you let be slathered all over it.

Arozay

Blackace said:
anyone run into the Strip gate bug?

the one where the gate is locked and you need a key but there is none, and the robots just tell you to move along.. I found the work around on the Internet but that pretty much is a huge game breaking bug if the tram is gone.. you can still kill the bots but that could mess up how you have been playing the game. I am shocked that as well known as it is that they have not rushed to fix a bug that could stop you from finishing the game
I did when I loaded up my save before the point of no return.

I dismissed Boone and ED-E and they were stuck at the gate, whenever I fast-traveled to the north gate they'd always be fighting guards and die. I ended up just killing the guards before they killed my companions and looted a key off of one of the guards corpses to fix the gate. I lost a little bit of Strip fame, but I was doing missions for House and I think I was at maxed good standing so it didn't really impact me, nothing changed in the strip and I was still able to complete the game doing the House route.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Danne-Danger said:
Both Boone and Raul can use power armour, I assumed all companions could.

Ah, well I did have 10 CHA so maybe my experience won't translate to other characters, and I played on very hard so they could take more punishment and dish out more damage than I could (well, Boone could).

My Boone refuses to wear Power Armor. I haven't finished the BoS quest though, so perhaps after I get trained he'll wear it.

Also, I've lost Rex (told him to go back to the Lucky 38 when we were very close to the damn thing, so he should be there now - two weeks later). He hasn't respawned in Freeside either.

The game still thinks I have ED-E, even though I haven't seen it since the approach to the air force base. Not sure if it got stuck on some weird geometry or what. I still have it's perk listed, but it's not fighting with me, that's for sure. I checked Primm, but it wasn't there either.

klee123

Just a random rant after clocking 65 hours on NV.

There is one area that I feel that F3 does better than NV and that's the sense of helplessness. In F3 you travel to many places where the innocent people have been slaughtered by either raiders or super mutants(seeing tons of gore bags at certain places gets kinda unnerving). It may not mean much, but it definitely left a huge impact for me. Basically the DC setting felt really depressing in tone which I actually appreciated.

Of course, this is probably due to the fact that the Mojave Desert didn't get hit as bad as DC during the great war, but in a sense, F3 overall felt more "epic".

Also GNR > NVR any day. The song selection whilst good in NV aren't as nearly as memorable and meaningful as the songs played in F3. Certain tracks such as "Civilization" and "Dear Hearts and gentle people" played during the trailer gave a sense of irony when you see what is happening during the setting of F3. I personally thought that was a great touch in F3 which was kinda missing in Vegas, but again this may be due to the setting of NV being lighter in tone.

Gameplay wise though, there's no contest. NV shits all over F3. The weapon mods, iron sights and the Damage threshold returning makes the gameplay that much better. The companion system is amazing too. Characters like Veronica are so much more interesting that the companions in F3, most likely due to the dialogue.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dresden said:
I thought Fallout 3 nailed the setting. From getting out of the Vault for the first time, to gaze upon this dead world, to stepping into that ruined school to fight bandits and see the bones of kids scattered inside a giant cage, to finding way to Megaton, it was pretty epic stuff. And I haven't even mentioned the giant robot yet.

But NV otherwise beats it down, especially regarding the writing.

the Truth hath been spoken

This is how I feel. I don't dislike the setting in New Vegas, it's good, but really it's the one way that Fallout 3 is superior. The ruined national monuments are great, too.

jax (old)

Banned
Snuggler said:

This is how I feel. I don't dislike the setting in New Vegas, it's good, but really it's the one way that Fallout 3 is superior. The ruined national monuments are great, too.

Fallout 3 is only superior in that

it was our introduction to fallout in FPS view + the return of the hallowed franchise. It had the "first" factor that NV doesn't. I don't think its how it told the story and introduced the world, they could have started you in a village and it'd still work, its just the fact, its the first time you experienced it.

NV's shortfall is the visuals and the 1.5ness of it. There isn't ANY visual improvement at all.

Snuggler said:

Honestly, looks like those who played FO1 and 2 prefer new vegas, and the new comers like FO3.

New vegas is a return to what i'm familiar with. And bethesda keeping far away from the west coast would be a good thing.

voltron said:
Im sure its been mentioned in this thread at some point, but there is official word in the Bethesda New Vegas forum that a patch is coming soon. I believe that was post made on the 20th Oct.

Posted on the 20th Oct by GStaff:

Unfortunately they've already released one patch for all platforms since that was posted. All these problems are post patch. Hope they put another one out soon.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
luxarific said:
My Boone refuses to wear Power Armor. I haven't finished the BoS quest though, so perhaps after I get trained he'll wear it.
i dont think Boone can ever wear power armor. There are only two companions with the training to wear it and Boone isnt one of them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
fizzelopeguss said:
Honestly, looks like those who played FO1 and 2 prefer new vegas, and the new comers like FO3.

New vegas is a return to what i'm familiar with. And bethesda keeping far away from the west coast would be a good thing.

well, let the record show that I am all for New Vegas when it comes to the 'better game' argument. It's not even close.

...but the one advantage I will give to FO3 is the setting, it was pretty goddamn good.

duckroll

rainking187 said:
Unfortunately they've already released one patch for all platforms since that was posted. All these problems are post patch. Hope they put another one out soon.

I think they pushed out 2 patches for the PC version so far. Although, I believe the contents of both patches make up the PS3 and 360 patch.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
well hopefully they have another patch that re-appears disappeared companions. I can't add anyone new even though one companion died and the other mysteriously vanished.

duckroll

Sadly I have yet to see a graphical mod which really looks like something I would want. That's not to say I think the game looks great as it is, there just aren't any graphical mods closer to my taste so far. :/

duckroll said:
Sadly I have yet to see a graphical mod which really looks like something I would want. That's not to say I think the game looks great as it is, there just aren't any graphical mods closer to my taste so far. :/

Anime chicks, pussy and cock models not to your liking sir?

Salsa

duckroll said:

same here

that said, i dont really have an issue with how the game looks vanilla. The problem is with the NPC dead-corpse animation that plagues Gamebryo.

Trick_GSF

Banned
I'm currently playing on a patchless PS3 version. I've probably put in around 130+ so far with no major issues. I did install 1.01 when I first got the game on the 22nd, however this made the game crash everytime I want into V.A.T.S so I removed it.

However, I'm looking forward to a new patch as there are certainly some issues that need to be resolved, especially for other players.

jax (old)

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:

I LOVE the FO franchise, played them all (1,2,tactics) and I have no preference btw FO3/NV.

duckroll, I'd say the sandstorm mod looks like its gonna be amazing. I'm tempted to grab that.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:
same here

that said, i dont really have an issue with how the game looks vanilla. The problem is with the NPC dead-corpse animation that plagues Gamebryo.

don't lie Salsa, I know you have nude modes installed you perv

duckroll

Jax said:
duckroll, I'd say the sandstorm mod looks like its gonna be amazing. I'm tempted to grab that.

I totally agree, but I'm not a fan of putting beta mods in. When it's relatively complete and well tested, I'm definitely loading it. Looks amazing.

Top Bottom