• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Dresden

mjemirzian said:
I'd say killing things more quickly would be a good solution to lots of incoming enemies, but that might be too obvious. It'll also be ironic when an enemy or enemies gets close to melee you or your companion and you have to switch to another weapon type because the meltdown explosion will kill you or them.
Stop being a patronizing asshole and realize that your build is shit and you've never played it.

The only things you really need to excel is good Luck, Finesse, and Better Critical, anyways.

duckroll

Dresden said:
Stop being a patronizing asshole and realize that your build is shit and you've never played it.

:lol :lol

This is going to be a really nasty fight over character build. I'm getting some popcorn. :D

Dresden

duckroll said:
:lol :lol

This is going to be a really nasty fight over character build. I'm getting some popcorn. :D
NERD RAGE SMASH

I need to save that xkcd comic about people being wrong on the internet. I'm not going to indulge in introspection, because that would make me realize just how ridiculous this whole argument is.

While we're talking about builds, I want to make sure my first character's SPECIAL is good. Here's what I've thought of (at the moment) for a high-AP Guns + Sneak character:

S 6
P 5
E 6
C 1
I 6
A 8
L 8

I'm more terrified of not picking the best perks now that you can only choose 15 instead of 29. I'll probably use the Perks Every Level mod.

Dresden said:

The only things you really need to excel is good Luck, Finesse, and Better Critical, anyways.
Umm I never said the build was anything in particular. I asked "how's this for a character build?" and I got a butthurt poster trying to jockey on my back who felt slighted for being told earlier that reloading or killing things faster is useful when facing groups of enemies that can 1-2 shot your courier or companions on very hard.

You tell me to admit a build is 'shit' while in the same post claiming all a build needs to be good is luck, finesse, and better criticals. You tell me to 'realize I've never played it' when I was already upfront about never having done so. Irony and hypocrisy alert. Take your unwarranted attacks elsewhere, please.

4 hours in, steamrolling things from F3 are still there (hi Perception 10 and repair skill). I don't know if I can force myself to finish this one, the engine is disastrous, the world just ugly.

Hyunkel6

Is it possible to side with the NCR for the main quest? Maybe I missed something, but the only options available to me are to side either with
Caesar, Mr.House or Yes Man
. Also, is there a way to satify
Mr.House's request to get rid of the Brotherhood of Steel without actually destroying them
?

Finalow

Wallach said:
Educated gives you +2 skill points per level. Normally your skill points per level are 10 + (INT / 2), so for example a 6 INT would get 13 skill points per level. With Educated you'd get 15 per level instead.
ah ok, thanks guys. In the game is 3 points, not 2, but probably it's an error.

dwebo

Hyunkel6 said:
Is it possible to side with the NCR for the main quest? Maybe I missed something, but the only options available to me are to side either with
Caesar, Mr.House or Yes Man
. Also, is there a way to satify
Mr.House's request to get rid of the Brotherhood of Steel without actually destroying them
?
Did you talk to the NCR ambassador in the strip? Helping him will eventually have him send you to
someone else in Hoover Dam who will lock you in with NCR for the main quest.
edit:
Also, no on the second bit IIRC.

Lakitu

st5fu
Regarding
Veronica
not being able to join me...
Do I have to actually dismiss a companion for good for her to actually join me? I thought I could have multiple companions but only one (and E-DE or Rex) at a time. Can someone clear this up for me please? Because, even though I told Boone to wait for me back at my motel room she still won't join me.

duckroll

Lakitu said:
Regarding
Veronica
Do I have to actually dismiss a companion for good for her to actually join me? I thought I could have multiple companions but only one (and E-DE or Rex) at a time. Can someone clear this up for me please? Because, even though I told Boone to wait for me back at my motel room she still won't join me.

Asking a companion to "wait" still counts as them being your companion. That's an AI order you're giving, you're not removing them from your party. You need to tell him to GTFO before you can get another companion. If you want to get him back, just go back to Novac again.

Lakitu said:
Regarding
Veronica
I had send everyone away in my party and
remove my 1st Battalion NCR beret. If you're wearing anything NCR related I don't think she joins you.

Just speculation though.

This arguing over builds is absolutely ridiculous. By the end of the game you will be super powerful regardless of what you do (unless you play water_wendi's character, in which case I assume you may have a little trouble killing things, but thats not the point!). You will have perks that benefit you, kick ass weapons and a ton of stats into at least one weapon base (melee, guns, unarmed, explosives or energy), probably two. I managed to finish the game at 25 hours in and level 22, never had any problems aside from wandering into swarms of deathclaws too early, which I should have got owned by regardless (after getting super slam and a fire axe deathclaws dropped easy too, at like level 16. Admittedly I playd on normal, but playing a little more cautiously than I did on hard will probably be just fine). This optimizing your build and planning every stat boost and perk unlock at each level seems silly to me, just wing it as you go and things will die, I promise. You might get a perk one level later than you expected but it really wont make a big difference. It's a single player game and you don't have to worry about having the perfect build for killing things or having the perfect leveling path. Just enjoy it!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Celsior said:
what gun is he using

Alien Blaster, can be found in the north most area of New Vegas a little to the west (follow the north rock wall and keep going west till you see a group of aliens). I believe, like in FO3, it one shots an enemy when you score a critical (and the gun itself has a high critical rate). Its also very powerful even when a critical isn't scored.

Nose Master

Didn't someone mention you can only get a Gauss Rifle with Wacky Wasteland off? Cause I found one on a random NCR.
Right before the game crashed and the console RROD again. :'(. I will damn get this to work. I will towel trick this damn system into working long enough to beat this game.

Dresden

Nose Master said:
Didn't someone mention you can only get a Gauss Rifle with Wacky Wasteland off? Cause I found one on a random NCR.
Right before the game crashed and the console RROD again. :'(. I will damn get this to work. I will towel trick this damn system into working long enough to beat this game.
They're talking about the unique gauss rifle, the YCS.

voltron

My buddys game saves suddenly seem to be corrupted. Whenever he tried to load he gets a message saying "it needs online content that is no longer available", then the game just resets apparently.

Is this one of New Vegas' many annoying possible tech issues? Or could this be something to do with the 360 update? Anyone else heard of this?

I told him to clear his cache.... no idea if thats worked he hasnt got back to me yet.

Hyunkel6

dwebo said:
Did you talk to the NCR ambassador in the strip? Helping him will eventually have him send you to
someone else in Hoover Dam who will lock you in with NCR for the main quest.
edit:
Also, no on the second bit IIRC.
I completely forgot to go to the NCR embassy. I have been focusing on the first two regions of the Strip. Thanks a lot.

I have an extra code for the classic pack for PS3, its for the european copy of the game, quote this post and i'll PM it to you.

You get vault 13 armor, weathered 10mm pistol and a vault 13 canteen that randomly heals some of your health now and then.

Mesijs

kyo_daikun said:
I have an extra code for the classic pack for PS3, its for the european copy of the game, quote this post and i'll PM it to you.

You get vault 13 armor, weathered 10mm pistol and a vault 13 canteen that randomly heals some of your health now and then.
yes!

duckroll said:
Asking a companion to "wait" still counts as them being your companion. That's an AI order you're giving, you're not removing them from your party. You need to tell him to GTFO before you can get another companion. If you want to get him back, just go back to Novac again.
Or, (if you're replaying) get the companion mod and have yourself a party.

Wallach

SlipperySlope said:
You guys like Finesse?

I do. Even on my shotgun build (which is not a crit-heavy build) it's still a good perk. Critical hits have a DT penetration element which makes them devastating against highly armored targets. If you're playing a build where you plan on taking Better Criticals (almost any combat oriented build) I would suggest taking Finesse.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Finesse works with the Sneak Criticals, right? I think thats why I can pretty much one shot Deathclaws with my Guass Rifle (while in Sneak).

kevm3

I don't even get why anyone would want a superbuild anyways. The game isn't all that difficult even if you have a fair build. A superbuild would make the game unbelievably easy to the point of not even being fun.

My main problem with the game is the further I get from some of the immediate towns like Novac and Goodsprings is I'm starting to see where they are cutting corners. You see some huge places that are absolutely desolate and are filled with generic NPCs. Nothing worse than running through huge environments, approaching some guy only to see he's a one-line spouting NPC... then you gotta run everywhere hoping the next guy actually gives you a quest or has backstory.

Wallach

BlueTsunami said:
Finesse works with the Sneak Criticals, right? I think thats why I can pretty much one shot Deathclaws with my Guass Rifle (while in Sneak).

I'm guessing you mean Better Criticals (Finesse is the +5% critical chance), but yeah that applies to sneak criticals as well.

Cheech

I'm happy to report that Amazon refunded every cent for the 360 version of this game. Very pleased with their customer service, and hopefully Obsidian will fix the damn bugs so I can play again.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
kevm3 said:
I don't even get why anyone would want a superbuild anyways. The game isn't all that difficult even if you have a fair build. A superbuild would make the game unbelievably easy to the point of not even being fun.

My main problem with the game is the further I get from some of the immediate towns like Novac and Goodsprings is I'm starting to see where they are cutting corners. You see some huge places that are absolutely desolate and are filled with generic NPCs. Nothing worse than running through huge environments, approaching some guy only to see he's a one-line spouting NPC... then you gotta run everywhere hoping the next guy actually gives you a quest or has backstory.

You're not wrong, but that's more of the game engine being shit rather than Obsidian cutting corners.

Just finished it (
independent
) and I think it's fair to say that Obsidian mopped the floor with Bethesda in every category with this game. It really felt like a Fallout game and if it wasn't for this lousy gambryo engine I wouldn't really have any complaints about it.

I tip my hat to the boys at Obsidian (yet again!).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Danne-Danger said:
I tip my hat to the boys at Obsidian (yet again!).
If you are referencing Alpha Protocol there, I tip my hat to you.

It was a rewarding year to be an Obsidian fan. They make some damn good games.

Stallion Free said:
If you are referencing Alpha Protocol there, I tip my hat to you.

It was a rewarding year to be an Obsidian fan. They make some damn good games.
Well yes, that and NWN2, and MotB. I really hope that they get some recognition now with NV, it seems to be pretty popular!

Well I just met my first blind deathclaw. Like an idiot, I thought to myself "I know, I'll stand still and it won't see me". Yeah right ... BOUND BOUND SWIPE SLASH DEAD. Blind my fucking arsehole :lol

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just finished the game. Final in-game time was 42 hours, that's of course not including retries and loading (Steam has it at 49 hours). Once I got to level 30, I immediately went to do the end-game quest on the NCR path because I felt I had already done a ton of stuff and explored lots of places, but I already knew there were far more. For example, I didn't even meet Veronica or go to that Deathclaw nest North of Sloan.

Totally satisfied with my ending. I'll prolly play through the game again, but not at least for a few months. Perhaps get back at it when some DLC hits. Even if there is no quality DLC, this is the type of game you just can't play once. Either way, 2 things are for sure now

1. I've never said this about any fictional female character before but Cass is mai waifu
&
2. I'm buying Fallout 2 on GoG. I've been watching "let's plays" of it on youtube and it seems much more similar to New Vegas than Fallout 3.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Fixed the Strip bug with visiting it by monorail. Dropped of all McGrafs loot at my presidential suite. Will sort it out later.

Killing McGrafs wasn't easy (fail after fail), but then I figured out that I can use 4 C4s that I had on me. I piled them up at the door, shot at the guard and then when 4 other guards came out I just shot at C4 :lol Looked epic.

Wallach

Sub_Level said:
Just finished the game. Final in-game time was 42 hours, that's of course not including retries and loading (Steam has it at 49 hours). Once I got to level 30, I immediately went to do the end-game quest on the NCR path because I felt I had already done a ton of stuff and explored lots of places, but I already knew there were far more. For example, I didn't even meet Veronica or go to that Deathclaw nest North of Sloan.

Totally satisfied with my ending. I'll prolly play through the game again, but not at least for a few months. Perhaps get back at it when some DLC hits. Even if there is no quality DLC, this is the type of game you just can't play once. Either way, 2 things are for sure now

1. I've never said this about any fictional female character before but Cass is mai waifu
&
2. I'm buying Fallout 2 on GoG. I've been watching "let's plays" of it on youtube and it seems much more similar to New Vegas than Fallout 3.

I've probably said it like a billion times already, but yeah, this game feels very much like Fallout 2 (though I don't quite have the same inclination to speed run this game).

so I finally went to the fort, and met Caesar.
But since I didnt want to side with the asshole, I meant to get back to mr House and give him the Chip, but the imbeciles wouldn't let me go out with the stuff. I checked some guides and someone posted that I had to punch the guards in the bunker, and run to Cottonwood Cove as fast as possible. So I did, and obviously had to kill everyone there. Power Armor+Level 30+ Gobi Rifle did the trick in a couple of minutes. What I didn't know, however, was that Mr House wanted me to go back to the Fort, no explanation given, so I went back there and THE WHOLE FUCKING CAMP went against me, dogs included. Jesus, that was one hectic battle. About thirty or more centurions, mongrels, guards, praetorii, thank god for the Holy Grenades and Super Stmpaks. Then I checked out Caesar's tent...another shitstorm of death. Cornered, I had to shield myself from the Holy Nades thrown half a meter from me. Guards with nasty Ballistic Punches, Vulpes, mongrels again, Caesar himself. Camp was one big slaughterhouse. And I freed Benny
. What a fulfilling moment.

Zeliard

What's the issue with Veronica's leveling that it needs a mod to fix it? She hasn't really had any issues in combat so far in my playthrough, so if that fix only makes her more powerful, then I'm staying away from it.

Top Bottom