• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ratsofatsorat said:
DLC = the preorder DLC in that case.
Oh. i thought it was that error that happened where it said the game wouldnt be able to load if the DLC wasnt present, even though there was no DLC. Like the mod error when loading up a game. So is that how you get your pre-order DLC.. through the mailboxes? Thats pretty cool :lol

NoRéN said:
There's a way in using the
intercoms
, no?
Yes. You need to find one of the BoS patrols that perished and find the code on them. Or you can take Veronica with you. Or you can get captured by them.

Dresden

water_wendi said:
Oh. i thought it was that error that happened where it said the game wouldnt be able to load if the DLC wasnt present, even though there was no DLC. Like the mod error when loading up a game. So is that how you get your pre-order DLC.. through the mailboxes? Thats pretty cool :lol
Nah, the pre-order DLC just pops up in your inventory, right after you start the game. I think it just refers to the "DLC not found" warning that pops up if you fiddle with a dropbox.

Takuan

water_wendi said:
There is one that has a
Very Hard (100 difficulty) lock. Thats the one the BoS is behind.
Huh! I guess I missed that particular bunker. Kinda hard to navigate with the sand flying all over the place.
8bit said:
I think ED-E will lead you to this if you follow that path.
I don't have ED-E in my party anymore, but what do you mean by
"if you follow that path"
?

I can confirm the 1.1.1 PC patch solved any poor framerate issues my Windows 7 64 bit install was having when large amounts of NPCs were in view. It's just as good as the XP 32 bit install, now. Since I never had any stuttering issues I can't say whether that is fixed or not.

edgefusion

Has anyone been having problem with getting VATS to work? Occasionally I'll be stood next to a group of enemies and hit R2 to enter VATS but nothing happens, I can hammer on the trigger over and over with no joy then suddenly it'll decide to work.

Mastperf

I just got the game but have only just started out. The world map seems to be quite a bit smaller than Fallout 3. Is that the case or is it just more content packed into a smaller space?

Takuan

water_wendi said:
ED-Es quest
could lead you there.
Oh, right, the companion quests. I just did Boone's a few days ago, I should do it for every companion that I know exists. I'm certain I haven't run into all of them yet, but I definitely know where the majority of them are.

edgefusion said:
Has anyone been having problem with getting VATS to work? Occasionally I'll be stood next to a group of enemies and hit R2 to enter VATS but nothing happens, I can hammer on the trigger over and over with no joy then suddenly it'll decide to work.
Yeah, this happens in Fallout 3 and New Vegas for PC as well. Seems to happen more the further you are in the game. No idea what it is.

Wiggum2007

Knock on wood, but I haven't ran into any freezes or bugs/glitches so far, besides some distant radscorpions clipping through the ground. Guess putting 10 points into Luck paid off.

edgefusion said:
Probably related to the reloading bug with hand loaded guns like the cowboy repeater. You can't do anything while frozen in place like that including vats or pipboy.

MMaRsu

Mastperf said:
I just got the game but have only just started out. The world map seems to be quite a bit smaller than Fallout 3. Is that the case or is it just more content packed into a smaller space?

You've only just started out :p

Ledsen

So the patch made my performance drop by like half... don't know if it broke the 4gb fix or what but my fps is no down from 30-40 in Goodsprings to about 20... good job Obsidian!

edit: this is fucking unbelievable... FUCK! I had the game running at such a good clip too before this fucking patch!

edit2: the patch also apparently made many creatures essential, which means some cazadors and the like are now unkillable... what a joke.

edit3: yeah I get sub-30 fps indoors whereas before I got 60...

WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO OBSIDIAN UNPATCH THIS SHIT

Wallach

Reload bug seems fixed across all weapons I tried, though they only specified a few. Haven't seen it happen with weapons I hit it with often (lever-action shotgun, hunting shotgun in particular).

Companion fixes are awesome, they show up now on your map with their name directly on the map itself so you know where they're at.

cool this is like the most broken game i've played since like tribes 2

now i see victor as a companion in goodsprings i get constant messages about "(blank) is unconscious" and I decided to attack a bunch of supermutants post-patch and apparently they're all invincible!!!!

Gamebryo. Gamebryo never changes.

Wallach

EmCeeGramr said:

I dunno, the last patch was pretty awesome for me aside from the hilarious bug where lots of stuff just became immortal, but another patch is going up soon to fix that particular bit.

Wallach said:
I dunno, the last patch was pretty awesome for me aside from the hilarious bug where lots of stuff just became immortal, but another patch is going up soon to fix that particular bit.
the crashes are somewhere in the 20s at this point, i reloaded an auto-save to find myself in a random spot in the wasteland naked and itemless, enemies walk straight into walls or the floor, dudes walking backwards, and having NPCs turn hostile for no reason (or being very inconsistent) causing me to fail quests

i don't even question anything happening anymore, i just assume that the courier is an amnesiac demigod and i'm unconsciously bending the rules of reality

grumble

EmCeeGramr said:

Gamebryo + Obsidian is like a hell for bugs. Obsidian have absolutely terrible bugs in all their games. They release half broken.

I'm waiting on picking this game up until the spring, when hopefully the PS3 version has been patched enough to make it pretty much free of game-breaking bugs.

Lakitu

st5fu
Erm...
how the hell do I save President Kimball? It's a clusterfuck, one minute I'm stopping the sniper the next his vertibird get's blown up. Or some crazed maniac chases after hiim. I've no idea what the fuck is going on during that segment.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Lakitu said:
Erm...
how the hell do I save President Kimball? It's a clusterfuck, one minute I'm stopping the sniper the next his vertibird get's blown up. Or some crazed maniac chases after hiim. I've no idea what the fuck is going on during that segment.
You have to do one of the following:
1) kill the sniper then report in on the radio thats on the tower.
2) disarm the bomb on the vertibird then report to that ranger guy
3) pickpocket the shady engineer that comes late into the speech and report to the ranger guy

i think the key is talk to the ranger either in person or using the radio on top of the sniper tower

Lakitu said:
Erm...

1. Stop the sniper and radio in.
2. From the sniper nest you can snipe the guy that attacks him. You should know who to look out for if you did the optional part before.

Lakitu

st5fu
water_wendi said:
1) kill the sniper then report in on the radio thats on the tower.
2) disarm the bomb on the vertibird then report to that ranger guy
3) pickpocket the shady engineer that comes late into the speech and report to the ranger guy

i think the key is talk to the ranger either in person or using the radio on top of the sniper tower

Thanks, but
I did option 2, and yet, President Kimball still got his head blown off. I've no idea what happened. I reported it to the Ranger and he was like we'll cancel it. Then President Kimball died.

Confidence Man said:
1. Stop the sniper and radio in.
2. From the sniper nest you can snipe the guy that attacks him. You should know who to look out for if you did the optional part before.

Thanks,
but what about the bomb on the Vertibird, I assume he doesn't board?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
water_wendi said:
When I came down from the tower, I saw the engineer running towards the president...and shot the assassin right when he was inches away from the president. But then I forgot I had that explosion perk when you kill someone with an energy weapon...and blew up the president in the process. :lol

Salmon

And 55 hours in, my saves went corrupt (360 version)

Now all I have to do, is to wait for the big patch to come out, or else I can't continue.
This game is soooo broken :(

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
chubigans said:
When I came down from the tower, I saw the engineer running towards the president...and shot the assassin right when he was inches away from the president. But then I forgot I had that explosion perk when you kill someone with an energy weapon...and blew up the president in the process. :lol
:lol

Lakitu said:
Thanks,

Not actually sure about that.
I didn't disarm any explosive and he took off normally, though I think I remember finding a detonator on a body near the podium - probably the body of the attacker I shot.

Lakitu

st5fu
Confidence Man said:
Not actually sure about that.
I didn't disarm any explosive and he took off normally, though I think I remember finding a detonator on a body near the podium - probably the body of the attacker I shot.

Ah right thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Seeing Kimball's head explode so many times in a row spooked me out.

edgefusion

Lakitu said:
Thanks,

The engineer you're looking for has a remote detonator on him, you can pickpocket it and report to the ranger guy.

JodyAnthony said:
oh man, i want that patch on 360 just for the companion and crafting changes.
It will probably take 2-3 weeks before it's released on 360/PS3.

EmCeeGramr said:

now i see victor as a companion in goodsprings i get constant messages about "(blank) is unconscious" and I decided to attack a bunch of supermutants post-patch and apparently they're all invincible!!!!

I seriously doubt we will see less glitches once Bethesda moves over to a new engine. It will just be a fancier surface with the same amounts of glitches beneath it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
AndyMoogle said:
I seriously doubt we will see less glitches once Bethesda moves over to a new engine. It will just be a fancier surface with the same amounts of glitches beneath it.
As much as blame Gamebryos the truth is any engine is likely going to have problem with these huge non-linear worlds with a zillion things going on under the hood.

grumble

water_wendi said:
As much as blame Gamebryos the truth is any engine is likely going to have problem with these huge non-linear worlds with a zillion things going on under the hood.

This is a very buggy game, even for an open world game. Just Cause 2, GTA4, Oblivion were all less buggy.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
grumble said:
This is a very buggy game, even for an open world game. Just Cause 2, GTA4, Oblivion were all less buggy.
Just Cause 2 and GTA4 arent RPGs. Thats a huge difference. Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas all have similar amounts of bugs from my experience. And not only were the amounts similar many of the bugs are the same since Morrowind (people in walls, eyeballs/heads/bodies rolling, etc).

Lakitu said:
Fallout 3 was buggy. But nowhere near as buggy as this is.
Maybe for you. Not for me. The original game had a sound issue from the different codecs the engine used for each type of sound or something. i finished the original game with about 10 hours of stuttering. It sucked shit i just finished the main path and ended my time with the game.

When i got the GOTY earlier this year, same fucking problem cropped up in addition to CTDs. i got around both but it literally took me about 10+ hours of modding, fiddling with shit, etc to get things to work. Was pretty frustrating.

New Vegas has been a dream. Nothing major. A handful of CTDs over 100 hours. No sound stuttering. No stuttering period.

Fallout 3 had crashes and bugs, yeah. But New Vegas is at times infuriating due to how broken it is.

The technical issues and stuff like the invisible walls are so maddening because the game buried underneath all this crap is so great. It's like some genius savant peasant who will never reach their true potential because they never got an education and their hands will never play the harpsichord like they were meant to because of a lifetime of hard labor.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
EmCeeGramr said:
Fallout 3 had crashes and bugs, yeah. But New Vegas is at times infuriating due to how broken it is.

The technical issues and stuff like the invisible walls are so maddening because the game buried underneath all this crap is so great. It's like some genius savant peasant who will never reach their true potential because they never got an education and their hands will never play the harpsichord like they were meant to because of a lifetime of hard labor.
i had more technical problems with Fallout 2.

the invisible walls are the worst part about this game to me. I'll climb 4/5 of the way up a hill that I'm trying to cross, it'll be clear in front of me, but no, I just can't go any farther for some reason.

JodyAnthony said:
the invisible walls are the worst part about this game to me. I'll climb 4/5 of the way up a hill that I'm trying to cross, it'll be clear in front of me, but no, I just can't go any farther for some reason.
I know, right!? I like to sneak around and steal shit or slip behind dudes and snipe them from ridges, but nope, this hill is suddenly too steep, you have to go all the way around and take another path! *goes and walks up what's practically a sheer cliff on another hill just fine*

I love New Vegas but I hit the dreaded save game dlc bug 20 hours in and cant play anymore till the patch is released. I'm playing on 360, really shocked MS let that bug through.

Crash bugs I understand, but not savegame corruption. Not cool Obsidian.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:

I'm glad I dropped into this thread on this post.

Will be starting this soon over the holidays.

ezekial45

Banned
All this talk about Gamebryo has got me wondering.

What would be a good substitute or upgrade? I've heard people throw the RAGE engine around, but i'd imagine the game's content would take a hit, in order to render even half the content in either F3 or FNV with that engine.

edgefusion said:

I've had this problem. It's caused me to die about four times. PC version. I keep hitting V over and over. Nothing. Then dead. It's totally random and no idea what causes it.

grumble said:
Oblivion was definitely not less buggy than this. It was probably even more so. I ran into a nice game breaking glitch that forced me to completely start the whole game over again. I had only spent a quick 80 hours on that character... It didn't matter if I reloaded an old save either, cause I would eventually run into the same glitch again. It was just a matter of time.

Fallout 3 had less glitches than Oblivion, that's for sure.

GTAIV and Just Cause 2 aren't anywhere near the complexity of Elder Scrolls and Fallout either.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So ahhh.... I've been hearing all this corrupted save glitch in the Xbox360 version. Tenths of hours of gameplay just go poof!, corrupted, forcing a restart.

This is very scary. Is it a frequent glitch--as in, it happens to many people? Is there anything that can be done to work around this such as, perhaps, making a lot of saves or something?

Laughing Banana said:
So ahhh.... I've been hearing all this corrupted save glitch in the Xbox360 version. Tenths of hours of gameplay just go poof!, corrupted, forcing a restart.

This is very scary. Is it a frequent glitch--as in, it happens to many people? Is there anything that can be done to work around this such as, perhaps, making a lot of saves or something?
It hasn't happened to me or any of my friends. I have spent ~80 hours on the game without any major problems, but I always have plenty of saves in these kind of games just in case. When it comes to any game Bethesda has any involvement in, you really need to keep at least 5-6 saves going at once.

Bethesda (or perhaps it was Obsidian) have said that they've located the problem and it will be fixed in the next patch. It should be out within a couple of weeks, so if you're really scared of running into the glitch, you should wait a few more weeks.

tokkun

I'm not sure whether F3 or New Vegas is buggier, but the type of bugs I'm running into in New Vegas are a lot more frustrating. On multiple occasions companions have simply vanished and would have been gone forever if I hadn't been playing the PC version and had access to the dev console.

JodyAnthony said:

Agree 100%. Fallout 3 managed to deal with the same issue in a much better way. The thing about New Vegas is that sometimes I'll figure out how to get to the top of a ridge and have flat ground in front of me, but will still hit the invisible wall. Other times I will be pressed up against an invisible wall and will just move laterally until I can walk "around" it.

Sullichin

Anyone else experience this bug? My shotgun turned into a throwing spear.. the opposite has also happened
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2H6S7cO5XU

I love this game, but it's almost as if I have nothing to kill. In FO3 all of the quests seemed to send me to labyrinths filled with enemies and stuff to find. Now it seems like I am just walking from one town to another using speech checks.

Grayman

Takuan said:
How do I get into the BoS bunkers in Hidden Valley? I've lockpicked everything and it's all rubble! To make matters worse, the patrolling troopers attack me on site. There's gotta be a diplomatic way to go about this...

Sweet! Does the game even use any DX10-11 effects, though? I didn't notice any difference in the visuals when I used the .dll. :lol
There are multiple bunkers in that area, one is not filled with rubble. The diplomatic way to get in is to use
Veronica who you find at 188 rest stop.
The diplomatic way may not override any reputation issues you have though.

eznark

Banned
Man I am just not getting into this one. Just finished Goodsprings showdown and....eh. Fuck I loved Fallout 3, what is wrong with me!

Also, Caravan is completely befuddling.

Cheech

God damn is this frustrating. I got rid of the 360 version because it ate my saves, so I pick up the PC version hoping it's better.

I fire up the PC version for the first time tonight, and I can't even get past the intro movie. Right after the movie, it starts loading, and BAM. "FalloutNV has caused an error and must close". Dead.

I looked at the support forums, which recommend validating files, deleting .ini files, and nothing worked.

Seriously, fuck this game. I'm done, unless somebody has a suggestion.

Top Bottom