• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Deadly

Robert Ashley said:
Is it just me, or is this game completely empty?

I'm about five hours in, and I walked to Vegas for the first time last night from a pretty distant locale. Probably 15 minutes away. I encountered no enemies, and every time I looked into a building or explored an area that looked interesting, I found nothing worth my time.

For me so far, Fallout 3 kills this game.
I'm more than 5 hours in, I'm not even in Vegas yet and I've encountered abuncha enemies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Robert Ashley said:

I'm about five hours in, and I walked to Vegas for the first time last night from a pretty distant locale. Probably 15 minutes away. I encountered no enemies, and every time I looked into a building or explored an area that looked interesting, I found nothing worth my time.

They're both fantastic, but I'd definitely say that's something that Fallout 3 does better. The randomness of just stumbling somewhere, or finding a huge armory with a bunch of stuff locked away. That was awesome. It had more interiors I think too, especially around the city.

I remember in Fallout 3, one random thing, was stumbling in on that crazy dude around some city ruins with mines and mini nukes everywhere. It took me ages to get to him but it was so rewarding to kill that fool.

stupei

Robert Ashley said:

If you walk on the roads, you don't encounter a lot of enemies, which I think is a deliberate means of allowing lower level characters to progress along some of the main quest points without getting slaughtered.

Head further west toward Sloan, though, and you'll definitely find some things.

Kurtofan

Robert Ashley said:

Go towards South Vegas.

Yeah, going off the roads is an easy way to die, even if you're relatively experienced (the person who designed and implemented Cazadors should feel bad about themselves).

Double D

This is definitely more of an empty world on the surface than fallout 3. Also, I was going to say earlier that I went cruising for new locations (just walking towards 'empty arrows') and was surprised by how many of the just seem pointless. For example, there was a traveling caravan that got murdered and looted, and it registered as a 'location'. Just seemed kinda funky.

On the flipside, the 'meaningful' locations are really great, as are many of the characters and the interaction with them. It's crazy walking around thinking you're walking towards a pointless location and end up spending a couple of awesome hours in there once you enter.

Lakitu

st5fu
Vik_Vaughn said:
On the flipside, the 'meaningful' locations are really great, as are many of the characters and the interaction with them. It's crazy walking around thinking you're walking towards a pointless location and end up spending a couple of awesome hours in there once you enter.

Agree with you there. The towns in this one are way better than Fallout 3's. And so are the vaults.

Loving the game, some questions though.

1. I read somewhere that some melee weapons have an area of effect? Does anyone know which ones do?

2. Can paralyzing palm and super slam work on enemies that block?

3. How cool is meltdown? Genuine question not a statement :lol

Dresden

cleveridea said:
3. How cool is meltdown? Genuine question not a statement :lol
Incredibly cool. Your enemies blow up in a splash of green plasma. Grab a gauss rifle and you now have an explosive sniper.

Only problem is that it'll probably kill you if they're in melee range, but be a man and take them out before they do. The best combat perk in the game, if you like fun, excitement, and puppies.

Dresden said:
Incredibly cool. Your enemies blow up in a splash of green plasma. Grab a gauss rifle and you now have an explosive sniper.

Only problem is that it'll probably kill you if they're in melee range, but be a man and take them out before they do. The best combat perk in the game, if you like fun, excitement, and puppies.

Cool! Ironically I planned a build with high unarmed/melee and energy weapons which I thought would be kinda sub optimal, but I wasnt thinking that at close range I would have to NOT use energy weapons - I didnt consider splash damage.

Doesn't this perk make energy weapons waaaaaay superior to Guns? I mean high end plasma weapons do rediculous amounts of both regular and crit damage, which combined with eg better criticals could be monstrous!

Also, how useful is stone wall? Does it help versus Deathclaws or are they an "avoid at close range at all costs" enemy on hardcore mode?

Ledsen

So I discovered why my framerates were suddenly halved after the new patch... the patch breaks the d3d9.dll, it no longer works. I reverted to a backup of FalloutNV.exe from October 22, and the d3d9.dll works fine and my framerates are up to what they were before. So bascially,

DON'T UPDATE THE GAME UNLESS YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF FALLOUTNV.EXE, YOU COULD BE COMPLETELY SCREWED

Takuan

Ledsen said:
So I discovered why my framerates were suddenly halved after the new patch... the patch breaks the d3d9.dll, it no longer works. I reverted to a backup of FalloutNV.exe from October 22, and the d3d9.dll works fine and my framerates are up to what they were before. So bascially,

DON'T UPDATE THE GAME UNLESS YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF FALLOUTNV.EXE, YOU COULD BE COMPLETELY SCREWED
I just removed D3D9.dll and it's performing just as well (if not better) as it was before the patch. I don't see any difference in visuals, but still.

JAQ6H.jpg

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Cazadores are hard if you try to shoot them in the head. Aim for the wings and its hilariously easy. Its nice to see some variety in enemy types where its not all headshot/headshot/headshot/etc.

Varna

Takuan said:
I just removed D3D9.dll and it's performing just as well (if not better) as it was before the patch. I don't see any difference in visuals, but still.

Same for me. I actually forgot to remove it at first because I didn't even know there was a patch. It still seemed to work too (I know because I could not see my frame-rate). Once I removed it it was the same performance.

Ledsen

Takuan said:

That's why I said you should keep a backup before you update. If the patch works for you, that's good. If it doesn't, you're basically screwed.

Wallach

cleveridea said:
Doesn't this perk make energy weapons waaaaaay superior to Guns? I mean high end plasma weapons do rediculous amounts of both regular and crit damage, which combined with eg better criticals could be monstrous!

Not really. Guns actually have more base damage at the high end than energy weapons in general. It is a fun perk though, so long as you have a backup plan when needed.

is it true the new vegas has no system for the random/special encounters from fallout 3? I kind of miss that, would seem to be a shoe in for the wild wasteland perk too, why didnt obsidian include those? They were in Fallout 1 and 2 as well....

I just thought about it and I cant remember one time in my 40 hours so far where I've came across a random something. The over world feels much more static in that regard

also im going to make a full unarmed build, I wonder how broken I can be by the end game :lol

water_wendi said:
Cazadores are hard if you try to shoot them in the head. Aim for the wings and its hilariously easy. Its nice to see some variety in enemy types where its not all headshot/headshot/headshot/etc.

If you must go for a headshot snipe them from a safe spot. I tend to agree with the quoted though. Shoot Cazadores in the wings, it's very obvious. Now the not being able to aim at their heads thing is odd, but I know at times I've done it in vats.

The main problem is just stumbling into a nest of them. Yeesh.

KibblesBits said:
If you must go for a headshot snipe them from a safe spot. I tend to agree with the quoted though. Shoot Cazadores in the wings, it's very obvious. Now the not being able to aim at their heads thing is odd, but I know at times I've done it in vats.

You want to know what Deathclaws have nightmares about and wake up screaming over..... "Cazadores" :lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
KibblesBits said:
Yeah :lol Whenever i saw red markers zipping around like crazy on my compass i made sure to do a save and check my inventory for StealthBoy in case i was spotted :lol

I remember first coming across a big ol' group of Cazadores. I had the entomologist perk and was on level 14, had ED-E and Boone in my party.

I was wiped out in 15 seconds.

ezekial45

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
is it true the new vegas has no system for the random/special encounters from fallout 3? I kind of miss that, would seem to be a shoe in for the wild wasteland perk too, why didnt obsidian include those? They were in Fallout 1 and 2 as well....

I just thought about it and I cant remember one time in my 40 hours so far where I've came across a random something. The over world feels much more static in that regard

also im going to make a full unarmed build, I wonder how broken I can be by the end game :lol
I have been ambushed a few times by factions that I've pissed off, but I've honestly never encountered anything else that was random.

Wallach

ZombieSupaStar said:
is it true the new vegas has no system for the random/special encounters from fallout 3? I kind of miss that, would seem to be a shoe in for the wild wasteland perk too, why didnt obsidian include those? They were in Fallout 1 and 2 as well...

There are a few random encounters with WW on. In general though those type of encounters are a lot harder to do in this style of game.

Oh, yeah here's a tip. If you're using Veronica there's a fist weapon not far from the Hidden Bunker that is guarded by some Nightkin. It is effective vs. Robots and Power Armor...

Wallach said:
There are a few random encounters with WW on. In general though those type of encounters are a lot harder to do in this style of game.

yeah but wild wasteland seems like itll just toggle a switch of ok point x on map with have "item/model y" if its on, otherwise it wont.

i mean like in fallout 3 youd see vertibirds dropping off enclave, or random encampments setup, or a deathclaw mauling a poor scavenger, or a ufo exploding over head raining down alien blaster ammo, or some docile ghoul wastelanders being attacked by raiders, it just felt a bit more dynamic in that sense I guess, or amata being interrogated by enclave personnel depending on your quest choice on trouble on the home front.

wow there was more than I thought in 3

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_random_encounters

edit, i take that back I remember a powder ganger giving me a speech then attacking me on my way to nipton, I guess that counts

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ZombieSupaStar said:
yeah but wild wasteland seems like itll just toggle a switch of ok point x on map with have "item/model y" if its on, otherwise it wont.

i mean like in fallout 3 youd see vertibirds dropping off enclave, or random encampments setup,
The Enclave stuff was part of a quest.

or a deathclaw mauling a poor scavenger,
Stuff like this happened all the time in New Vegas. Fighting was constant. i ran into most of it because i heard gunshots first and then saw a caravan being attacked by nightstalkers or legion or whatever.

or a ufo exploding over head raining down alien blaster ammo,
Happens when you walk by a certain place in FO3

or some docile ghoul wastelanders being attacked by raiders,
See above.

it just felt a bit more dynamic in that sense I guess
If thats how you feel, thats how you feel but im just going to say that my game felt very dynamic. Shit was going down all over the wasteland and since i didnt fight i just observed it all :lol

I've played a few games of nv, and while there is plenty of stuff going on, it's always in the same places, in my experience at least. in f3, the different encounters appeared at random.

water_wendi said:
If thats how you feel, thats how you feel but im just going to say that my game felt very dynamic. Shit was going down all over the wasteland and since i didnt fight i just observed it all :lol

so far they've only documented 5 total in new vegas, mebbe theres more tho, some stuff though like when you leave novac and go towards boulder city and u run into a caravan duking it out with legion and ncr, happend in both my games at the same location, was fun though hiding from them waiting for it to die down :lol

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_random_encounters

CushVA

KibblesBits said:

Try running into a nest while a sandstorm is raging. You'll see the markers on the compass, but have no idea what you're running into......until it's too late

Note: for sandstorms you need the Nevada Skies Mod: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35998

Dresden

You know, the single most terrifying thing in the game was, on a new low-level character, I was trying to score me some Authority glasses at the Old Nuclear Test Site, and I ran into about five Glowing Ones and four or so Reavers.

Running did not help. Those guys are fast, man. :( The last thing my character saw in his brief life was of radioactive undead cornering him against the rocks to bludgeon him to death.

Wallach

Dresden said:
You know, the single most terrifying thing in the game was, on a new low-level character, I was trying to score me some Authority glasses at the Old Nuclear Test Site, and I ran into about five Glowing Ones and four or so Reavers.

Running did not help. Those guys are fast, man. :( The last thing my character saw in his brief life was of radioactive undead cornering him against the rocks to bludgeon him to death.

That area is really crummy for low levels because those ghouls will smell you from like four hundred yards. You can put like two hills between you and them but you'll still get put into [CAUTION] when trying to sneak.

Ok. I have a dilemma.
It’s part of The House Always Wins V (I think… maybe it’s VI)
House wants me to destroy The Brotherhood, but I’ve already gotten them to change Elders, they seem ready to expand and help the NCR… hey… I kinda like those Brotherhood folk. We go back a long way. :D House isn’t budging. It seems I either have to take House down or eliminate The Brotherhood. I don’t want to do either. With almost every other quest I’ve been able to find some kind of happy medium, but nothing is allowing that. I try talking to Elder Harkin (sp?), but I get no additional options in relation to this problem. Is this a quest where I’m just going to have to make a tough decision for a change? It seems like either way will muck up my karma at this point…:/

Also, beyond the PS3-killing freezes, I’ve encountered a crappy glitch that prevents me from completing a quest- I Don’t Hurt Anymore
I’ve killed Cook-Cook, completed the mission to take out Driver Netal (or whatever his name was), but Corp. Betsy doesn’t give me any dialogue options. She just says the same thing over and over. I read the cause of the glitch- and now it just seems I’m shit out of luck until it’s patched/fixed. Really annoying.

Alucrid

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
Ok. I have a dilemma.
It’s part of The House Always Wins V (I think… maybe it’s VI)
House wants me to destroy The Brotherhood, but I’ve already gotten them to change Elders, they seem ready to expand and help the NCR… hey… I kinda like those Brotherhood folk. We go back a long way. :D House isn’t budging. It seems I either have to take House down or eliminate The Brotherhood. I don’t want to do either. With almost every other quest I’ve been able to find some kind of happy medium, but nothing is allowing that. I try talking to Elder Harkin (sp?), but I get no additional options in relation to this problem. Is this a quest where I’m just going to have to make a tough decision for a change? It seems like either way will muck up my karma at this point…:/

Also, beyond the PS3-killing freezes, I’ve encountered a crappy glitch that prevents me from completing a quest- I Don’t Hurt Anymore
I’ve killed Cook-Cook, completed the mission to take out Driver Netal (or whatever his name was), but Corp. Betsy doesn’t give me any dialogue options. She just says the same thing over and over. I read the cause of the glitch- and now it just seems I’m shit out of luck until it’s patched/fixed. Really annoying.

Sadly everyone wants the brotherhood dead. The only way to keep them around is wild card bitches.

epmode

Varna said:
Figured this was a good place to ask. How does Fallout 1 & 2 run on Windows 7 64-bit?
They work fine for me. Some people run into a display issue due to the 256-color palette but it's usually fixable through Windows compatibility settings.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ZombieSupaStar said:
so far they've only documented 5 total in new vegas, mebbe theres more tho, some stuff though like when you leave novac and go towards boulder city and u run into a caravan duking it out with legion and ncr, happend in both my games at the same location, was fun though hiding from them waiting for it to die down :lol

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_random_encounters
Oh yea i remember that. Legion guys hiding behind a billboard or something. There are NCR troops that patrol that road and also a merchant with some guards that come down off the overpass too. i think if you get really lucky its possible to see a four-way battle between Legion, NCR, Caravan, and (if at night) that roaming pack of Nightstalkers :lol

jett

D-Member
Well, I just massacred Caesar and his entire camp. :lol Is this gonna change the game significantly? It seems barely anyone noticed or cared.

Haunted

jett said:
Well, I just massacred Caesar and his entire camp. :lol Is this gonna change the game significantly? It seems barely anyone noticed or cared.
Everyone else will like you just that little bit more because you removed that bunch of slavering pricks.

Caesar is one of the most interesting characters in the game (and one of the best looking as far as the facial modelling goes as well), such a shame they used him for the least interesting faction.

Quest-wise
you blocked off one of the four (well three, really) possible routes of the endgame, as well as two or three minor quests people in the Legion's camp would've given you.

Top Bottom