• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Kurtofan said:
We're talking about Richardson or Hunnigan?
Richardson, the President right? Normal looking guy in a suit. It's been awhile. Close the doors to his office, listen to his spiel, equip the
Super Stimpacks and start injecting him. I think that I maybe did it from behind or something but I'm not sure it matters. Wait a little while and he'll drop dead from the withdrawl

On topic:
Part of the big wow factor for me with FO 3 was seeing all of the National Monuments in ruins. It was really exciting entering the suburbs of Washington anticipating how they were going to handle The Mall.

That being said I think New Vegas is the superior game, especially in storytelling.

Kurtofan

Captain Tuttle said:
Richardson, the President right? Normal looking guy in a suit. It's been awhile. Close the doors to his office, listen to his spiel, equip the
Super Stimpacks and start injecting him. I think that I maybe did it from behind or something but I'm not sure it matters. Wait a little while and he'll drop dead from the withdrawl
Thanks a lot!
Two is enough?

Ricker

Hyunkel6 said:
IIRC, you have to go through the overseer's office to get the key to the armory. In order to open the door to the office, you have to find two passcodes hidden within the submerged sections (underwater sections) of the vault. They are really easy to miss. I actually used a FAQ to find both.

Thanks,I did that,got the 2 password,it was easy since I have the rebreather thing but I still didn`t find the key....and being low on Rad X and Away is annoying in there,plus the Ghouls are hard...I think i`ll forget about it,I reached level 30 now so that doesn`t help me push forward on those side missions now,since I gain no exp...

Finally finished the Omerta/Ghomorra quest,man that was a pain,running around in there with markers all over the place,I must of wasted a good 3 hours trying to figure out everything in there :lol but I had to,the way my end game is going I had to do that part...

tokkun

water_wendi said:
Little Lamplight makes zero sense. Its as if someone just said "Hey.. a town run by kids sounds cool" without thinking things through. First off.. you have to address the re-population problem. Second, if the community started when they were on a school field trip when the bombs fell, that means they all had the be about the same age and thus there would not have been a huge gulf in years between adults and children (the logs make mention of all the teachers dying out iirc). The premise behind it is okay but it needed to be worked through some more.

Seems to make about as much sense as assuming that 1950's cultural norms, aesthetics, and architecture would persist unchanged for 100 years despite massive technological advancement.

Or turn-based combat.

stupei

tokkun said:
Seems to make about as much sense as assuming that 1950's cultural norms, aesthetics, and architecture would persist unchanged for 100 years despite massive technological advancement.

Or turn-based combat.

Really not sure why the fact Fallout is based around 50's Americana and its very specific image of the future means that nothing in the story has to be held to any standards whatsoever. Yes, Fallout has 50's culture because it represents "future" as imagined by people who were fantasizing about it in the 50's and 60's. That doesn't then mean that every single thing that happens in game can be as illogical as it wants to be...

tokkun

stupei said:
Really not sure why the fact Fallout is based around 50's Americana and its very specific image of the future means that nothing in the story has to be held to any standards whatsoever. Yes, Fallout has 50's culture because it represents "future" as imagined by people who were fantasizing about it in the 50's and 60's. That doesn't then mean that every single thing that happens in game can be as illogical as it wants to be...

The complaint wasn't about something that happened in the game - if it were, I would be more sympathetic to the complaint - but it was actually just about the backstory of one of the game's locations. Furthermore, it's a backstory that is of such little consequence that most people who played the game probably could not remember it.

It seems odd to me that one is able to suspend disbelief when it comes to central premises of the game, but feels that a poorly contrived backstory for one of the game's locations constitutes a major flaw.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
tokkun said:
Its an alternate reality setting.

Or turn-based combat.
This has nothing to do with story elements being believable. Mutated creatures are fine. Kids surviving 200 years without fucking and raising kids and with the entire original 50 field trip kids hitting Mungo age at the same time doesnt make sense (who were the youngins stayed at Lamplight if all the kids left within a theoretical span of 1-3 years? Did the field trip has a bunch of 6 month old babies along with the 3rd grade(?) class?). There are too many holes in the story.

edit: Heres a refresher on the background to Little Lamplight
On October 23rd, 2077 (note: FO3 takes place in 2277), 82 students from the Early Dawn Elementary went on a field trip to Lamplight Caverns with a couple of teachers (including the fourth grade teacher, Carrie Delaney) and a few parent chaperons. There the group spent many hours touring the deep caverns. Just as they were packing up to leave, the caverns began to shake. The kids began to scream as the lights went out, and one man from the group went out to see what was going on. Upon his return he informed those within that the entire Washington D.C. area was covered in mushroom clouds.

The adults slowly died off, some from leaving the cavern, others from accidents within. Eventually Miss Delaney, last of the adult survivors, decided to go on a scavenger run and never returned, leaving the kids to fend for themselves. One of the older kids, Jason Grant, assumed power after no others would step forward. Within the next month of exploring the caves the children came upon Vault 87, where they would pound on the door for hours pleading for assistance.

Finally, one of the adults inside Vault 87 told the children to go away (saying that they were "already dead"). This was likely Peter Stevens, a Vault Technician stationed near the door to Little Lamplight, who thought that the children were hallucinations of his dead son. As a result, the kids turned against all "Mungos" kicking out residents once they turned 16.

Wallach

water_wendi said:
This has nothing to do with story elements being believable. Mutated creatures are fine. Kids surviving 200 years without fucking and raising kids and with the entire original 50 field trip kids hitting Mungo age at the same time doesnt make sense (who were the youngins stayed at Lamplight if all the kids left within a theoretical span of 1-3 years? Did the field trip has a bunch of 6 month old babies along with the 3rd grade(?) class?). There are too many holes in the story.

It is pretty lame overall, but I'm pretty sure they touched on the fact that they kids were having sex. One of those kids talked about her teddy bear which was given to her by her mom before she was kicked out for being too old.

EmCeeGramr said:
My problem with Fallout 3's "save the Capital Wasteland!" story is that by the end I wasn't sure who I was saving. Rivet City? Megaton? I guess those guys count, tiny as they are. Every other community can either pack up and leave (the Brotherhood), is portrayed as unambiguously evil (Paradise Falls, The Enclave, the East Coast Super Mutants), or chooses to isolate itself from the rest of the Wasteland (Vault 101, Oasis, Tenpenny Tower, Underworld, Little Lamplight, Andale, Republic of Dave).

The Mojave Wasteland feels more like a real society of connected communities and places. I wanted a map option to show the borders and boundaries and connections between places, showing how they changed and moved depended on what you did.

It was also more interesting playing a Wastelander who is implied to have some kind of experience with this sort of stuff due to his career, rather than a special teenager who must save the world like some JRPG.

Everyone was a pants on head retarded psycopath in fo3. Nuke megaton, poison the water, bulldoze the entrance to vault 101 because those people are just so fucking dumb, Ohh my god.

it's old pulp sci-fi. the bomb, radiation, oversized insects, spandex jumpsuits, laser guns and the sheer jingoistic fervour that permeated the era.

Basically the guys who knew what they were doing got together and created their magnum opus, a game that excelled in every area. Art direction, music, gameplay and design.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
It is pretty lame overall, but I'm pretty sure they touched on the fact that they kids were having sex. One of those kids talked about her teddy bear which was given to her by her mom before she was kicked out for being too old.
Thats not what i meant about sex. Girls start menstruating at age 12 on average. If they start going for babby right from the first available time that means babies are coming out when the kids are 13 or so. Thats three years until they get exiled. Since the kids were on a school field trip the age had to have been about ages 10-11 for the fifth grade. Who takes care of the newborns when a large portion become Mungos all at about the same time? And then the next year when the rest of the kids hit 16? Where did all the toddler Lamplighters come from to force the fresh Mungos out? And this went of for over 12 generations (generations in Little Lamplight have to be based around 16 since those people are exiled and removed from the population)?

Wallach

water_wendi said:
Thats not what i meant about sex. Girls start menstruating at age 12 on average. If they start going for babby right from the first available time that means babies are coming out when the kids are 13 or so. Thats three years until they get exiled. Since the kids were on a school field trip the age had to have been about ages 10-11 for the fifth grade. Who takes care of the newborns when a large portion become Mungos all at about the same time? And then the next year when the rest of the kids hit 16? Where did all the toddler Lamplighters come from to force the fresh Mungos out? And this went of for over 12 generations (generations in Little Lamplight have to be based around 16 since those people are exiled and removed from the population)?

The only other thing that is implied is that the kids would go out and "save" other kids from the surrounding areas.

Like I said, it's pretty retarded. I'm not disagreeing with you.

Salsa

Finished it, although i cant really say im happy with my ending :lol

so:

i was actually onboard to help Mr. House... until he wanted me to destroy the Brotherhood. I spent half my game with Veronica as my companion so i couldnt do that to her. Fuck House, killed him and went along with Yes Man's plan. I was quite fond of the NCR, but not THAT much, so i figured New Vegas would be better off as independent, and i was ready to clear both the NCR and the Legion. Killed the Legion's leader and kicked the NCR one off Hoover Dam, falling to his death :lol
As it turns out it was a pretty bad decision, given how the only party that had my full support (the followers of the apocalypse) had their hands full with patients as the New-New Vegas became even more violent after getting their independence

oh well.. :)

Salsa

water_wendi said:
Good with the bad. Thats Fallout endings for you though.

Pretty much, i like how ambiguous all the possibilities were. No real GOOD ending i guess, makes your decisions much more important than in FO3.

Im sure ill do a second playthrough later on though, favorite Fallout since 2.

tokkun

water_wendi said:
Thats not what i meant about sex. Girls start menstruating at age 12 on average. If they start going for babby right from the first available time that means babies are coming out when the kids are 13 or so.

You sure? "It's an alternate reality setting."

Gestahl

Having a split timeline starting at the end of world war II doesn't mean menstruation no longer functions normally biologically, and humans now mate and spawn like frogs. Sorry champ

I keep on expecting to see more humans with with deformities like third arms or growths haning off their faces. I'm kinda disappointed that i haven't seen as much human mutation as I would have liked.

Kurtofan

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I keep on expecting to see more humans with with deformities like third arms or growths haning off their faces. I'm kinda disappointed that i haven't seen as much human mutation as I would have liked.
Ghouls.

Yackie

Uggg, I lost ED-E somewhere, and he's not in Primm or at the Lucky 38. This has probably been discussed hundreds of times in this thread but, is there anything I can do? (I'm playing on the 360)

On a related note, my other companion is Cass, but I want Boone back. I can't seem to find him anywhere either. He's not in Novac or the Lucky 38. Its been days, so he should have been able to make it back to Novac by now. These companion bugs are driving me crazy!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Started the game tonight. Cleared the starting town in ~2 hours, including the showdown with the powder gang.

GOOD: No bugs so far! Fears possibly overblown?
BAD: Looks and feels just like Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was AMAZING.... in 2008. In two years I expected the engine and overall design to evole somewhat.
WEIRD: You can freely loot the doc's house and the robot's health. The doc especially has lots of good aid equipment.
I SUCK: The first mini-quest to go "rescue" a wanderer's girlfriend from the geckos almost killed me. I didn't create a great build for my char. and it's making combat incredibly hard for the time being. I'm not a huge min/maxer so I'll surely be fine as I level up and balance things out.

GDJustin said:
Started the game tonight. Cleared the starting town in ~2 hours, including the showdown with the powder gang.

GOOD: No bugs so far! Fears possibly overblown?

You just have high LUCK.

Though early on bugs are probably somewhat rare (or at least relative to bugs when you have a massive save file 100+ hours in).

Wallach

Gestahl said:
Having a split timeline starting at the end of world war II doesn't mean menstruation no longer functions normally biologically, and humans now mate and spawn like frogs. Sorry champ

I'm sure they were perfectly standard and healthy human beings after multiple generations of eating glowing cave fungus.

Edit - Actually, reading some stuff on the wiki I think the implication is that the cave fungus was greatly slowing the rate at which they aged.

Gestahl said:

Again, arguing about things like normal biology in a game where flies the size of puppies squirt out their eggs at you as a form of attack, asexual green giants which can reach the height of small buildings wander the land looking for humans to kidnap so they can "reproduce" by exposing them to a virus, ten feet tall demonish creatures were purposely mutated from chameleons to replace humans in combat, and dessicated things reminisce about what they did before the war...200 years ago, is silly. And nitpicking. None of this makes any sense if you stop to think about it for more than ten seconds, and none of it has any basis in reality whatsoever. A better way to approach all this is "Who cares! I just instantly healed my gimpy leg enough to stop limping by eating a fucking Hostess Pie! Now I'm gonna launch mini-nuclear bombs at this crazy albino scorpion which is big enough to impale me with its stinger! WOOOHHOOOO!"

Kurtofan

Sorry for being off topic again,but I'd like to know if Alpha Protocol is a good game.
I love New Vegas and would like to check it out,as it was made by the same developper.
I heard the gameplay was average but the writing good.

Celsior

Killed the Legendary deathclaw, pretty anti-climatic final showdown, killed him with three crit shots to the head in a row :lol :lol

Pooya

Kurtofan said:
Sorry for being off topic again,but I'd like to know if Alpha Protocol is a good game.
I love New Vegas and would like to check it out,as it was made by the same developper.
I heard the gameplay was average but the writing good.
If you want good dialog, yes it's very good but everything else no.
Combat is quite bad and story is meh. You'll find some good characters and interesting dialog options, there is a lot of well written text to read (emails, dossiers etc). There isn't much variety to missions, the game looks very bad visually and it's quite short (~15hours), there are enough choices for repeated playthroughs if you want to.
Overall it's hard to recommend it. New Vegas is a way better game.
If you want to play more games from Obsidian play KOTOR2 if you haven't or NWN2.

Kurtofan

miladesn said:
If you want good dialog, yes it's very good but everything else no.
Combat is quite bad and story is meh. You'll find some good characters and interesting dialog options, there are lots of well written text to read (emails, dossiers etc). There isn't much variety to missions, the game looks very bad visually and it's quite short (~15hours), there are enough choices for repeated playthroughs if you want to.
Overall it's hard to recommend it. New Vegas is way better game.
If you want to play more games from Obsidian go play KOTOR2 if you haven't or NWN2.
Thanks I'll wait a bit more then.

Ricker

What the hell...super spoiler questions from the no return warning and on:

I have tried 2 alternatives so far and I always wind up having to go to the Legion camp and kill the Legate and so on,my speech is not high enough to have him leave without a fight...but he destroys me,on normal,because he has 2 other guys with him and after a while there`s like 6 or 7 of those power fist guys that tag along also...this is ridiculous,the game was super easy all this time but now i`ll have to bring it down to easy to beat the end game?? and what happens with the Boomers that are suppose to help me or something(i did that optional part with them,they idolise me,couldn`t do it with the Khans and the Brotherhood,I was idolised with but could never tell Yes Man that they will help me), am I doing something wrong here...?(this the Yes man ending,or Mr.House ending,I`m level 30),

Jerk

Banned
Kurtofan said:
Thanks I'll wait a bit more then.

Miladsn is right on point, but I would suggest that you try AP out anyway; even with all the flaws that the game has, it is still a pretty fulfilling experience.

Just make sure that the version you play is the pc one.

Kurtofan

Jerk 2.0 said:
Miladsn is right on point, but I would suggest that you try AP out anyway; even with all the flaws that the game has, it is still a pretty fulfilling experience.

Just make sure that the version you play is the pc one.
Why not the Xbox360 version?

Pooya

If you want to play Alpha Protocol, play on PC with 360 controller, m/k controls are terrible.
360 version should be fine but you get better visuals (still terrible) and shorter loadings.
PS3 version was quite horrible IIRC from giantbomb QL.

I liked what played overall but I can see why others may hate the game, that's why I said it's hard to recommend.

Kurtofan

miladesn said:
If you want to play Alpha Protocol, play on PC with 360 controller, m/k controls are terrible.
360 version should be fine but you get better visuals (still terrible) and shorter loadings.
PS3 version was quite horrible IIRC from giantbomb QL.

I liked what played overall but I can see other hate the game, that's why I said it's hard to recommend.
Yeah I understand that it's a "love it or hate it" kind of game,so I'll have to try it myself.
Thanks for your answers.

Gestahl

Eel O'Brian said:
Again, arguing about things like normal biology in a game where flies the size of puppies squirt out their eggs at you as a form of attack, asexual green giants which can reach the height of small buildings wander the land looking for humans to kidnap so they can "reproduce" by exposing them to a virus, ten feet tall demonish creatures were purposely mutated from chameleons to replace humans in combat, and dessicated things reminisce about what they did before the war...200 years ago, is silly. And nitpicking. None of this makes any sense if you stop to think about it for more than ten seconds, and none of it has any basis in reality whatsoever. A better way to approach all this is "Who cares! I just instantly healed my gimpy leg enough to stop limping by eating a fucking Hostess Pie! Now I'm gonna launch mini-nuclear bombs at this crazy albino scorpion which is big enough to impale me with its stinger! WOOOHHOOOO!"

There's suspension of disbelief and immersing yourself into a world that the game designers and writers have created, adhering to their laid out rules and stipulations on how things work, and then there's violently shitting down your throat while simultaneously choking you into unconsciousness, and Little Lamplight is the latter, sorry bub

Super Mutant Behemoths made no sense at all in the context of the Fallout universe either (as opposed to Little Lamplight making no sense in any universe), glad Obsidian took the axe to them.

Well then I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree, tiger.

I think I'm gonna go out and stand in the sun for a while so I can regain some health and carry all this extra weight, loving this new perk I got to choose when, as a normal human, I hit level 20. It's almost as good as the one I got by helping that trader chick out, where radiation poisoning heals my broken bones! Biologically normal, sport!

Mikey Jr.

Got this for the 360.

One question, what is with the stuttered movement when you start from stop to run. Its not smooth at all, its like something is in my characters way all the time.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Question about Benny, I just arrived to
his casino

man I don't wanna kill chandler :lol but I want the chip. Anyway around that without spoilering anything? :D am I advised to kill him or can I keep him around ?

Kurtofan

Yurt said:
Question about Benny, I just arrived to
his casino

man I don't wanna kill chandler :lol but I want the chip. Anyway around that without spoilering anything? :D am I advised to kill him or can I keep him around ?
If you don't kill him now,you'll have to kill him later on if you want the chip (unless you really want to save him at that moment but it's really complicated and pointless).He'll be at Ceasar's Fort.
So if you want extra dialogue with him,just let him go,but you won't have the chip right away.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So im pretty sure my games bugged...

PS3 version, and Im doing the mission where you have to find the 10 irradiated NCR tags...

I killed all of the wandering ghouls, and i got the tag from the ghoul inside the one house and its not telling me that i have them all and to return them to that one NCR soldier (that has been paying me for them).

Ive wandered all over the town getting od'd on radiation and i cant find the apparent one that im missing....any ideas?

Top Bottom