• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
EviLore plays these types of games like the evil bastard that I tend to play them as. It's difficult for me to play the good guy in games with more binary choices, since the good options are usually so insipid. Plus, what's more escapist than playing a character who's personality is completely unlike your own? :>

Yes, this is why is tend to play as a good character in these types of games.

tokkun

Wiggum2007 said:
Which stream are you watching? One of the streams that was linked in here was a guy playing on the highest difficulty and with hardcore mode on.

It was on the kattenjanssen stream. He is playing on Hardcore, but I'm not sure what difficulty.

I was watching the other guy who was doing Very Hard + Hardcore last night, but it was tough to compare the two since the guy playing Very Hard didn't really seem to understand how to use VATS properly.

MrCompletely said:
any streamers playing on hardcore ?

Both of the two streams linked in this thread were playing in hardcore mode. From what I saw, it seems less invasive than I had originally envisioned.

I killed every NPC in the game I could, and later on ate a ton of them, even at full health. I set mines by the exits of buildings and chased bystanders into them with a baseball bat. I failed missions before I got them all the time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think the dickest thing I did in Fallout 3 was shooting Liam Neeson with the BB gun until he passed out. That was some Dennis the menace shit.

Kade

DennisK4 said:
Why? I sincerly hope you are not intending to play in third person mode

Are you going to berate me for my choice in camera mode?!

When I use large weapons like the miniguns and launchers, I like to play in third-person mode.

Gravijah

dygiT said:
Are you going to berate me for my choice in camera mode?!

When I use large weapons like the miniguns and launchers, I like to play in third-person mode.

I like to pretend I'm skating! Post apocalyptic roller derby, yeeeeeeeeah!

Kade

Gravijah said:
I like to pretend I'm skating! Post apocalyptic roller derby, yeeeeeeeeah!
:lol Hey, it was like that in first-person mode as well! It was just harder to notice since you don't have the visual of the model animating like shit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zeliard said:
EviLore plays these types of games like the evil bastard that I tend to play them as. It's difficult for me to play the good guy in games with more binary choices, since the good options are usually so insipid. Plus, what's more escapist than playing a character who's personality is completely unlike your own? :>

Never really understood those people who can only ever play good in video games because they literally feel bad - or somehow wrong - if they don't.

Sup sociopath

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zeliard said:
Playing through NWN2 again, I forgot how much better this game is than Bethesda's latest efforts, and recent WRPGs like Dragon Age. I have faith that Obsidian's crafted something compelling here with New Vegas.
NWN2 is Bioware in its writing and characters. You would have to have said MotB for me too believe you.

Murderer.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I never played Fallout 3, mainly because I'm not really a huge fan of Bethesda's games. However, I like Obsidian (from the one game I have played of theirs - KotOR 2) and their ideas on certain things (their conversation system was a whole lot more thought out in Alpha Protocol than BioWare's in Mass Effect - at least from what it looked like).

Anyway, do I have to have a knowledge of Fallout 3 to play New Vegas or is the story kinda its own thing?

I still plan to rent this before I buy it. Although I am sure this is one of the games that I'll eventually get.

Animator

I am going to play this as a evil bastard on my first go as well. Everybody will die and the capital wasteland will truly deserve its name once I am done with this game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Animator said:
I am going to play this as a evil bastard on my first go as well. Everybody will die and the capital wasteland will truly deserve its name once I am done with this game.
New Vegas isnt the Capital though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shrinnan said:
Anyway, do I have to have a knowledge of Fallout 3 to play New Vegas or is the story kinda its own thing?

I think New Vegas is canonically set after Fallout, but is it's own stand-alone story like most of the Fallout games.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
EatChildren said:
I think New Vegas is canonically set after Fallout, but is it's own stand-alone story like most of the Fallout games.

Thanks. That's what I thought but I was just making sure. I would have probably tried it anyway, but I hate getting sequels to story-heavy games where I'm essentially lost because of it.

I don't mind references to past Fallout events, but I don't really want a story reliant on those events where previous knowledge is required.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zeliard said:
Otay, HK-47.

Its characters are like one note Bioware characters. Oh and it has an ending nearly as stupid as Fallout 3. Supremely disappointed.

Still much better in all aspects (cept module creation) than NWN1.

Gravijah

Does any actually focus on beating the main story in games like these? I always put tons of hours into messing around in the wasteland, doing all the sidequests and stuff but the main story is never a top priority.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gravijah said:
Does any actually focus on beating the main story in games like these? I always put tons of hours into messing around in the wasteland, doing all the sidequests and stuff but the main story is never a top priority.

I usually try to get it over with early on, at least the first time I play, but it's definitely not the focus. I played Morrowind for at least 100 hours before I even realized that there was a main story.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gravijah said:

Bethesda games no, as their single player modes in RPGS are usually far too linear and restrictive. Plus usually crap.

This is Obsidian, so I'll probably give it a go. If its anything like the older RPGs you wont be able to 'break' the quest, and still be able to finish it no matter what you do. That I like.

Zeliard

HK-47 said:
Its characters are like one note Bioware character. Oh and it has an ending nearly as stupid as Fallout 3. Supremely disappointed.

The storyline is super generic but I think the dialogue in NWN2 is lighter and more charming than what we've gotten from Bioware as of late. The game doesn't offer any deep revelations and but its writing is just more enjoyable to read when it isn't mucked up in so much sci-fi/LOTR gibberish and jargon as Mass Effect/Dragon Age are. There's certainly some of that but it doesn't approach Dragon Age levels of sheer meaningless padding.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gravijah said:
I never even beat Fallout 3, so I have no idea how bad the ending actually is. :lol

You have to save to world by pushing a button or something, but you'll die doing it so either you're nice and you sacrifice yourself or you're a dick and you make some NPC do it.
Also, there was a giant robot.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Gravijah said:
I never even beat Fallout 3, so I have no idea how bad the ending actually is. :lol

The games Macguffin is all ready to go (a water purifier) but is stuck in a room filled with fatal amounts of radiation. You are given the choice of sacrificing yourself to turn it on or sending in the head paladin's daughter to do it killing her. The ending of course completely ignores the radiation immune Ghoul, Supermutant and Robot in your party.

G-Fex

CaptYamato said:
I might pick this up next week. Never finished Fallout 3...

last part is kind of a drag on and on and on.

I'm just happy I made a trigger happy genocidal female that got to kill everything with a pulse.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
bhlaab said:
Bioware can't write characters.

Bethesda can't write anything.
Actually its been reversing for Bioware. They are failing at plot and have some success with characters.

Gravijah said:

I don't give a shit about plot in games like these, just love free roaming around

plus, plot in F3 was lolling

Wallach

Sinatar said:
The games Macguffin is all ready to go (a water purifier) but is stuck in a room filled with fatal amounts of radiation. You are given the choice of sacrificing yourself to turn it on or sending in the head paladin's daughter to do it killing her. The ending of course completely ignores the radiation immune Ghoul, Supermutant and Robot in your party.

Well, it did until Broken Steel. Now it doesn't.

bhlaab said:
Bioware can't write characters.

Bethesda can't write anything.

Somehow hyperbole on the internet must be like a billion times more fun than in real life.

kamspy

Giant fucking robot made Fallout 3's ending fuck awesome.

You people need to join a book club if a giant, communist killing robot doesn't wet your whistles.

Zeliard

Gravijah said:

Same. I tend to forgo the main quest for a good while unless I feel like progressing in order to unlock something else (like more side quests). Generally I'll try to go every way but down the main path. I'm not the completionist sort but my end-times in games like this for a single playthrough are usually pretty high.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kamspy said:

You people need to join a book club if a giant, communist killing robot doesn't wet your whistles.

Lamest giant robot in history.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
HK-47 said:
Actually its been reversing for Bioware. They are failing at plot and have some success with characters.
Yeah, both DA and ME2 had some well-characterized and memorable characters like mordin & shale. While both games failed in regards to the plot.

iammeiam

Animator said:
F3's main quest was shit all around though, I am not sure why some defence force is assembling for it.

Tranquility Lane was pretty neat, though. It plus the giant robot added a few bright spots to the admittedly blah main story.

Although I think you'd actually have to design the main quest to have a ton of slack in it somewhere--if everything were super-urgent and compelling, the player would miss half the content just running around and doing the main story.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
iammeiam said:
Tranquility Lane was pretty neat, though. It plus the giant robot added a few bright spots to the admittedly blah main story.

Although I think you'd actually have to design the main quest to have a ton of slack in it somewhere--if everything were super-urgent and compelling, the player would miss half the content just running around and doing the main story.

lol slack and urgency wasnt Fallout 3's problem in regard to plot, I'll tell you that much. The only compelling things in Fallout 3 were Tranquility Lane and collecting more waypoints on my pipboy (that I can remember. I'm sure I enjoyed a few of the locations I visited for their gimmicks). I couldnt even murder everyone without modding. =(

X26

Banned
A lot of the main story in f3 took place in the DC ruins, which was my least liked area of the game. having to navigate the tunnels was a huge drag and aside from some neat areas the city ruins itself were pretty boring

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I forgot all about the giant robot. On my first attempt the thing got stuck and I ended up having to go without him...only to get stuck myself later on. :\

G-Fex

kamspy said:

It was cool but....not super cool.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
X26 said:
A lot of the main story in f3 took place in the DC ruins, which was my least liked area of the game. having to navigate the tunnels was a huge drag and aside from some neat areas the city ruins itself were pretty boring

See, I loved the Capital Wasteland. If there were a bigger variety of enemies, I'd probably still turn on the game just to poke around a bit.

Top Bottom