• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

disappeared said:
The patch may wind up convincing me to go back to New Vegas. I haven't touched it in almost a month or so. Just lost interest, plus the odd glitches.

i've been weening lately, but the patch certainly won't dissuade me of jumping back in after 30 odd hours

fucking love this game, thinking of starting my first replay of the generation (real talk)

Wallach

blame space said:
i've been weening lately, but the patch certainly won't dissuade me of jumping back in after 30 odd hours

fucking love this game, thinking of starting my first replay of the generation (real talk)

Agreed, after the DT fix and the upcoming general weapon balancing and other bug fixes I won't have many problems to speak of with this game. Even with the current problems it's fucking awesome.

Wallach

ACE 1991 said:
How do I kill or get rid of the nightkins? The fuckers are tearing me apart.

If you don't want to kill them, you can stealth boy your way around the basement, there are quite a few of them there in the ground floor and second levels above the basement area. If you go left from the first room in the basement, you'll find an NPC which will point you towards different ways to accomplish your task.

Wag

Nightkins-
Grenades work well on the Nightkins- if you can't lock onto one using VATS throw one nearby. Otherwise, dodge and shotgun its ass.

I'm pretty far into the game now but I'm not going to finish until the mega-patch is out. I'm tired of losing glitched out quests.

If you guys want to experience something funny, Kill Caeser, wear his armor and then talk to some Legionnaires. :lol

Gestahl

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer

Confirmed Bachelor is considered a homosexual perk? Neither the name, the art nor the description gave any indication of that.

Confirmed Bachelor is a euphemism for a gay man. The icon art shows Vault Boy giving a massage to a naked Vault Boy with a heart floating over his head. I'm amazed that people look at that and sincerely come away thinking, "Hey, looks like a couple of bros just having a good time and giving a friendly massage."

The best perk

Wallach

SuperSonic1305 said:
Is there no way to have multiple saves on PC normally or do I need some sort of mod?

Do you mean like separated by character? You can only have one autosave and one quicksave, but you can also create like 1,000 manual saves.

If you want to separate character saves, just create a folder and dump all of the files from your save game folder in there (for each character). Then you can just move the entire set of save files out/in. I don't know of a more graceful way to do it really.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Damn it. Wasn't really interested in New Vegas. I played Fallout 3 for 10-20 hours and thought it was quite good occasionally, but also very frustrating at times. I wasn't very fond of the combat either.

Yet I'm sitting here now, at work, with Fallout: New Vegas (X360) on my desk. I traded a couple of games in and didn't know what else to get, so yeah. What can I expect? I heard a lot about bugs and annoyances, but there's a patch coming out, it seems?

itsinmyveins said:
Yet I'm sitting here now, at work, with Fallout: New Vegas (X360) on my desk. I traded a couple of games in and didn't know what else to get, so yeah.
Expect Fallout 3 with much better writing and characters, moral ambiguity, crafting, weapons mods and a "hardcore" mode where you have to eat, drink and sleep or you'll die. Ammo also has weight in hardcore mode.

IMO New Vegas is vastly superior to Fallout 3 although I admit that I miss the Capital Wasteland.

Edit: I didn't have any game breaking bugs in my playthroughs, although sometimes the screen tearing and framerate drops are painful. 360 version btw.

itsinmyveins said:
Damn it. Wasn't really interested in New Vegas. I played Fallout 3 for 10-20 hours and thought it was quite good occasionally, but also very frustrating at times. I wasn't very fond of the combat either.

Yet I'm sitting here now, at work, with Fallout: New Vegas (X360) on my desk. I traded a couple of games in and didn't know what else to get, so yeah. What can I expect? I heard a lot about bugs and annoyances, but there's a patch coming out, it seems?
The games much better than F3, but the bugs have all ready fucked me hard.

When you start go to the options and make sure it only auto saves after waiting
not fast travel or anything else.
I'v had a couple of bugs mess my game up after fast travailing meaning I had to loose over a hour of progress.

Got this game last week and been playing it pretty much non-stop. First I started with a basic stealthy sniper dude non-Hardcore on the hard difficulty. Now I started again on Hardcore with an melee/unarmed brawler and I have to say that the hardcore mode makes this game much more interesting. I don't get the feeling of cheating when I use stimpacks. Also now survival skill has some meaning too since you have to cook some food once.

Great game, but the glitches and bugs are annoying sometimes. I save a lot so I haven't lost anything, but still it's not fun when the game crashes on you.

itsinmyveins

About that hardcore mode -- it does sound interesting but also like it could be a real pain, especially considering that I felt that the stimpacks in Fallout 3 hardly helped. You had to use a ton of 'em to get your limbs/hp too an alright level after a bit of combat. I'm also worried about how often you gotta eat/drink/sleep. It's no fun if you're always having to break off from a quest to go scavenge for food or water.

Regarding combat, how does it feel? Very similar to F3?

Wiggum2007

itsinmyveins said:
About that hardcore mode -- it does sound interesting but also like it could be a real pain, especially considering that I felt that the stimpacks in Fallout 3 hardly helped. You had to use a ton of 'em to get your limbs/hp too an alright level after a bit of combat. I'm also worried about how often you gotta eat/drink/sleep. It's no fun if you're always having to break off from a quest to go scavenge for food or water.

You can always start with hardcore mode on and turn it off later if it gets too tedious. Combat is virtually identical to F3 but the addition of true iron sights makes non-VATS combat a lot more viable, imo. Other than that the only real difference is some minor tweaking to VATS so its not as easy to just spam headshots with it anymore.

itsinmyveins

Wiggum2007 said:
You can always start with hardcore mode on and turn it off later if it gets too tedious. Combat is virtually identical to F3 but the addition of true iron sights makes non-VATS combat a lot more viable, imo. Other than that the only real difference is some minor tweaking to VATS so its not as easy to just spam headshots with it anymore.

Oh yes, thank god yes!

Dyno

Found out something that's pretty cool!

I'm doing Brotherhood quests with Arcade Gannon. I find T51b power armour and give it to him to carry like the good mule he is. He rejects it and a note comes up saying he can't wear that faction armour. Okay, I work around it and get the armour home for later.

After that I'm back at the Brotherhood base and I find a set of the older T45d power armour. I give it to Gannon just to see what happens. He puts it on! Apparently the good Dr. has power armour training! Completely awesome!

Five minutes later I find a Super Sledge. Not to my tastes but valuable, also heavy. I give it to Gannon for storage and surprisingly he arms himself with it! That is so weird because the only weapon he's used in combat thus far is a one-handed energy weapon. He won't even take a sweet two-handed weapon like the Q-35 Matter Modulator.

I haven't taken him into battle yet but I'm curious how effective a power armour & melee doctor might be? Anyone else kit him like this? Looks like I'll be saving even more than usual once we get into a hostile area.

Dyno

Wiggum2007 said:

More than anything hardcore makes the game go slower. It doesn't make it much tougher other than being more strategic with what equipment you pack. That said I have stuck with it and don't mind the slower pace.

Regarding the non-VATS shooting, I am pleasantly surprised that it is more effective than in F3. Shooting out of VATS gets more play as a result and one-shot sniper kills and other pure FPS conventions are quite possible.

Ledsen

itsinmyveins said:

The eat/drink/sleep meters are extremely lenient, you can go for a loooong time without really having to worry about them. I think thirst goes up the fastest but there's water all over the place. If anything, I thought they were a little too nice with it since it hardly affects the game at all. The stimpack thing is pretty great because it means you can't survive anything in the game that doesn't one-shot you by going into the menu and spamming stimpacks whenever they hit you. If you're up against overwhelming odds, you'll most likely have to retreat and come back later, just like it should be.

Ledsen said:
The eat/drink/sleep meters are extremely lenient, you can go for a loooong time without really having to worry about them. I think thirst goes up the fastest but there's water all over the place. If anything, I thought they were a little too nice with it since it hardly affects the game at all. The stimpack thing is pretty great because it means you can't survive anything in the game that doesn't one-shot you by going into the menu and spamming stimpacks whenever they hit you. If you're up against overwhelming odds, you'll most likely have to retreat and come back later, just like it should be.
Yeah, this is what I meant. This kinda ruined it for me in Fallout 3. Whenever I was in trouble, I just spammed 5-6 stimpacks and killed everything.

tokkun

Dyno said:
Regarding the non-VATS shooting, I am pleasantly surprised that it is more effective than in F3. Shooting out of VATS gets more play as a result and one-shot sniper kills and other pure FPS conventions are quite possible.

Sniping outside of VATS was pretty viable in F3 already as long as you had the right perks. The major change in New Vegas is that sniper rifles are so over-powered that you can kill almost every enemy in the game with one headshot and the right perks.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:
Combat is virtually identical to F3 but the addition of true iron sights makes non-VATS combat a lot more viable, imo.

I don't think viable is the word you're looking for. Turning off iron sights aiming and shooting still works just fine with the crosshair. It actually works better because your view isn't obstructed by the weapon.

tokkun said:
The major change in New Vegas is that sniper rifles are so over-powered that you can kill almost every enemy in the game with one headshot and the right perks.
IMHO, that isn't overpowered, that is how sniper rifles should be, at least versus things with their brains stored in their heads. :) With the right perks even a body shot will do since with those perks you'll be guaranteed of a sneak attack crit and 2-3x bonus damage.

Just to say so: 16 hours into it with a level 10 character, on the 360, and I haven't had one glitch beside one floating man walking around. And he was Legion, so I killed him. :lol

The amount of quests in this game is.... staggering. It seems like every one I start, by the end of it three more open up from talking to their "objectives". I was playing as a gun-running assassin in the beginning until I was down to maybe ten bullets and my damage wasn't near enough to take on what I was attempting to kill. So I decided to take time and move North to the Crimson Caravans. Being much more resourceful, I now have caps and plenty of ammo. I love how the game forces you to think about your moves, and punishes you when you're stupid. (For instance, just barely level six and trying to complete "Come Fly With Me" the way I want to.)

And the quality of the quests! There's plenty of options for your own morality of the character to pick and choose.

Can't get enough. :D

Finalow

is there an easy way to get [Hack the Mojave - Hack 25 terminals 15G], [Artful Pockete - Pick 50 pockets 15G] and [Outstanding Orator - Pass 50 Speech checks 15G]?

Woo-Fu

Banned
finalozzo said:
is there an easy way to get [Hack the Mojave - Hack 25 terminals 15G], [Artful Pockete - Pick 50 pockets 15G] and [Outstanding Orator - Pass 50 Speech checks 15G]?

I got those easily just by playing the game, except for pick pocketing, which I don't do unless I want to give somebody a live grenade.

Wiggum2007

Woo-Fu said:
I don't think viable is the word you're looking for. Turning off iron sights aiming and shooting still works just fine with the crosshair. It actually works better because your view isn't obstructed by the weapon.

I went straight from F3 to NV (playing on 360) and I have a much easier time aiming with the iron sights, my time in VATS in NV has decreased dramatically from 3.

finalozzo said:
is there an easy way to get [Hack the Mojave - Hack 25 terminals 15G]
Have at least 50 science and hack every terminal you come across. A little harder than the corresponding lockpicking trophy, imo, because there are fewer terminals throughout the game.

[Artful Pockete - Pick 50 pockets 15G]
Best to have a couple of stealth boys and engage in mass pickpocketing in a heavily populated area.

and [Outstanding Orator - Pass 50 Speech checks 15G]?
This one should come easily as Speech is one of the most useful skills in the game for completing quests. I believe Science and Medicine speech checks also count towards this, or at least they did for me during my playthrough. I think.

My experience in the early game was pretty bug free (save for crashes prior to the patch), but things really devolved late game. Typically when fighting a "boss" type character they would die by falling to their death, as in something would cause them to start walking into the sky until a Looney Tunes style realization brought them crashing down. :lol

Dyno said:
Found out something that's pretty cool!

I'm doing Brotherhood quests with Arcade Gannon. I find T51b power armour and give it to him to carry like the good mule he is. He rejects it and a note comes up saying he can't wear that faction armour. Okay, I work around it and get the armour home for later.

After that I'm back at the Brotherhood base and I find a set of the older T45d power armour. I give it to Gannon just to see what happens. He puts it on! Apparently the good Dr. has power armour training! Completely awesome!

Five minutes later I find a Super Sledge. Not to my tastes but valuable, also heavy. I give it to Gannon for storage and surprisingly he arms himself with it! That is so weird because the only weapon he's used in combat thus far is a one-handed energy weapon. He won't even take a sweet two-handed weapon like the Q-35 Matter Modulator.

I haven't taken him into battle yet but I'm curious how effective a power armour & melee doctor might be? Anyone else kit him like this? Looks like I'll be saving even more than usual once we get into a hostile area.

According to the Fallout Wiki all NPCs in the game have power armour training, even the children :lol

The most annoying thing about power armour is that
if you get your training from the brotherhood by becoming a member they present you with a pretty shitty suit of power armour which is nowhere near as good as the power armour you can loot from their corpses. However, the armour they wear is considered a disguise so you need to remove it whenever you have dealings with the NCR.

Personally I don't like melee companions that much because they get in the way a lot, and on hardcore they die for good. Having said that
I did spend most of the game with Veronica on my energy weapons run because her workbench perk means never having to head into town to recycle your energy cells.

Finalow

icarus-daedelus said:
Have at least 50 science and hack every terminal you come across. A little harder than the corresponding lockpicking trophy, imo, because there are fewer terminals throughout the game.
--
Best to have a couple of stealth boys and engage in mass pickpocketing in a heavily populated area.
--
This one should come easily as Speech is one of the most useful skills in the game for completing quests. I believe Science and Medicine speech checks also count towards this, or at least they did for me during my playthrough. I think.
i didn't see this, thanks.

tokkun

jim-jam bongs said:
if you get your training from the brotherhood by becoming a member they present you with a pretty shitty suit of power armour which is nowhere near as good as the power armour you can loot from their corpses. However, the armour they wear is considered a disguise so you need to remove it whenever you have dealings with the NCR.

Just another reason to get the awesome Jury Rigging perk. You can repair power armor using metal armor, which is much cheaper and easier to scrounge.

mujun

jim-jam bongs said:

This isn't the case. In one of my playthroughs I remember buying a suit of the superior version that was not faction affiliated. I might have found it somewhere though, memory is not clear.

You can definitely find a suit of the superior stuff that has no faction affiliation at
Deathclaw Promontary, too.

mujun said:
This isn't the case. In one of my playthroughs I remember buying a suit of the superior version that was not faction affiliated. I might have found it somewhere though, memory is not clear.

You can definitely find a suit of the superior stuff that has no faction affiliation at
Deathclaw Promontary, too.

Yup, I was specifically referring to:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Brotherhood_T-51b_power_armor which comes from dead paladins.
It's a lot better than the
T-45d
power armour you get by joining them.

The armour you're talking about is
The Remnants Power Armour which you can also obtain when doing Arcade Gannon's quest: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Remnants_power_armor

Wallach

So the patch should be live for PS3 in Europe right around now, and along with that more details about what is contained in the update. Steam's likely to be tomorrow at some point, with MS supposedly not until next week along with PS3 in other regions.

Holy shit, melee and unarmed are powerful in this game. When I
faced off against Lanius
during my first playthrough at level 26, it took me an ungodly amount of bullets (since I'd run out of microfusion cells by then) to take him down. That was on Normal difficulty, I think. I turned on Hardcore for my melee/unarmed character, and he took
Lanius
down on level 19 with two hits from a Ballstic Fist.

Also,
because I was wearing a Legion outfit (my Stealth armor had gone bust by the time I reached the Legate's camp), Lanius' minions didn't even attack me. They just stood there, waiting for me to knock their heads off.

jim-jam bongs said:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Brotherhood_T-51b_power_armor which comes from dead paladins.
T-45d

The Remnants Power Armour which you can also obtain when doing Arcade Gannon's quest: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Remnants_power_armor
You can occasionally
buy a set of non-Brotherhood T-51b from the quartermaster in the BoS bunker. It's tough as hell, too. Once you get Jury Rigger, it's like a goddamn dream.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Wallach said:
So the patch should be live for PS3 in Europe right around now, and along with that more details about what is contained in the update. Steam's likely to be tomorrow at some point, with MS supposedly not until next week along with PS3 in other regions.

Would it be a bad idea to try and patch my US version through my UK PSN account?

edit: Didn't work.

mujun

jim-jam bongs said:
T-45d

No, I'm talking about the
non Brotherhood T-51b power armor
which can be found at the place I mentioned according to the wiki and I got from somewhere else because my character has a set on right now. I'm pretty sure I bought it from the laser pistol quest girl in the bunker.

EDIT: This

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dak1dsk1 said:
Too buggy for me to enjoy.

that sucks! i wish your experience was more like mine. 12+ hours and not a single crash.

i had a radscorpion warp into the middle of the desert and twitch half in and half out of the ground, like some kind of post apocalyptic philadelphia experiment in miniature, but that's the only weird thing i've seen thus far. i actually had more problems with FO3.

mujun said:
No, I'm talking about the
non Brotherhood T-51b power armor
which can be found at the place I mentioned according to the wiki and I got from somewhere else because my character has a set on right now. I'm pretty sure I bought it from the laser pistol quest girl in the bunker.

EDIT: This
Whoah cool! I'll have to check that out next time.

Top Bottom