• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Holy hell, the
Counterfeit Beer Brewing shack
is the best shack ever. :lol :D Nothing like being rewarded that well for traversing all the way up the damn mountain. Cazadors do not quit, and the six or so outside gave me hell. Still. At level 15, this is a boon to have such an item.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wallach said:
It's pretty substantial. I promise it does not fix every bug in the game, though.

Anything about returning companions? I lost E-DE ages ago, so now I'm just rolling with Rex. Also, stuff like not being to finish Raul's quest because I learned the Ranger's takedown ages ago and Boone not carrying his hunting rifle for some reason. Hopefully there are fixes for these.

Don't like that they nerfed the sniper rifles, hope they aren't too bad.

Wallach

Lakitu said:
Anything about returning companions? I lost E-DE ages ago, so now I'm just rolling with Rex. Also, stuff like not being to finish Raul's quest because I learned the Ranger's takedown ages ago and Boone not carrying his hunting rifle for some reason. Hopefully there are fixes for these.

Don't like that they nerfed the sniper rifles, hope they aren't too bad.

According to the GECK, the multiplier on the stock SR is now 1x (which is what it should be really) but the DAM is lower than I expected (42).

Supposedly missing companions were fixed; people were reporting they were "back", but at the very least it should never occur on new playthroughs due to the change in how they travel when dismissed.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wallach said:
According to the GECK, the multiplier on the stock SR is now 1x (which is what it should be really) but the DAM is lower than I expected (42).

Supposedly missing companions were fixed; people were reporting they were "back", but at the very least it should never occur on new playthroughs due to the change in how they travel when dismissed.

The second part pleases me. I hope that's the case then, because I miss E-DE.

The first part upsets me (in regards to damage).

Thanks for that.

Wallach

Lakitu said:
The second part pleases me. I hope that's the case then, because I miss E-DE.

The first part upsets me (in regards to damage).

Thanks for that.

No problem. It appears that the Gobi was also nerfed in DAM so that the discrepancy in damage is still the same (so 40 to the SRs 42) though I haven't checked it in GECK to see what the multiplier is. Personally I just like the rifle for the unspoken backstory but I suspect a lot of people were not carrying it for that reason...

Lakitu

st5fu
Wallach said:
No problem. It appears that the Gobi was also nerfed in DAM so that the discrepancy in damage is still the same (so 40 to the SRs 42) though I haven't checked it in GECK to see what the multiplier is. Personally I just like the rifle for the unspoken backstory but I suspect a lot of people were not carrying it for that reason...

I thought that might be the case too, shame really as it is easily the most rewarding rifle in the game and yeah, for the reason you mentioned. I guess the sniper rifles are more similar to Fallout 3 now. Which I guess isn't too bad, since I have no problems with them in that. I always get sneak critical damage, 60-80% of the time with one head shot.

Wallach

Lakitu said:
I thought that might be the case too, shame really as it is easily the most rewarding rifle in the game and yeah, for the reason you mentioned. I guess the sniper rifles are more similar to Fallout 3 now. Which I guess isn't too bad, since I have no problems with them in that. I always get sneak critical damage, 60-80% of the time with one head shot.

That isn't really going to change, though. That's really the reason why the multiplier didn't make sense; the SR - especially silenced - is probably the easiest weapon in the game to get sneak criticals with.

If you're looking for a suitable replacement you should probably pick up a Trail Carbine as it is a phenomenal weapon that got overlooked due to the poor balance on the SRs. The Brush Gun is also a fantastic weapon if supplemented with the Cowboy perk.

Edit - Other stuff I've seen that has yet to be posted (thanks for the shitty changelog Obsidian):

- Plasma Rifle base damage is now 45 (previously 32)

Jerk

Banned
Since I never really bothered with stealth, I am going to have to try out some of the other guns in the game.

Maybe even respec and go energy weapon...

Lakitu

st5fu
Wallach said:
That isn't really going to change, though. That's really the reason why the multiplier didn't make sense; the SR - especially silenced - is probably the easiest weapon in the game to get sneak criticals with.

If you're looking for a suitable replacement you should probably pick up a Trail Carbine as it is a phenomenal weapon that got overlooked due to the poor balance on the SRs. The Brush Gun is also a fantastic weapon if supplemented with the Cowboy perk.

Edit - Other stuff I've seen that has yet to be posted (thanks for the shitty changelog Obsidian):

- Plasma Rifle base damage is now 45 (previously 32)

I'm definitely willing to give the Trail Carbine a try. I've barely used it, but I'm really more of a long-distance weapon user, with a focus on sneak critical attacks and stealth boys, is there a scope mod available for it anywhere?

And pretty good news about Plasma Rifle damage, I thought it was ridiculously underpowered in this.

Wallach

Lakitu said:
I'm definitely willing to give the Trail Carbine a try. I've barely used it, but I'm really more of a long-distance weapon user, with a focus on sneak critical attacks and stealth boys, is there a scope mod available for it anywhere?

And pretty good news about Plasma Rifle damage, I thought it was ridiculously underpowered in this.

Yes, the Trail Carbine can be outfitted with a scope. It is affected by Cowboy as well which makes it a beast (about as close as you're going to get to the old SR sans silencer).

What's funny is that I think a lot of people will stop using the Gobi after this patch, and I wonder how many of them will just give it to Boone... :lol

Jerk

Banned
Wallach said:
Yes, the Trail Carbine can be outfitted with a scope. It is affected by Cowboy as well which makes it a beast (about as close as you're going to get to the old SR sans silencer).

What's funny is that I think a lot of people will stop using the Gobi after this patch, and I wonder how many of them will just give it to Boone... :lol

I long ceased to use Boone's boring ass, so the gun will go in the trash for me.

Looks like the YCS/186 is back to being the best 1-Shot SR.

Wallach

Jerk 2.0 said:
I long ceased to use Boone's boring ass, so the gun will go in the trash for me.

Looks like the YCS/186 is back to being the best 1-Shot SR.

I just think the idea is depressing. It seems implied that
the Gobi is the weapon Boone used to kill his wife.

The YCS will definitely be the king of single-shot damage. The AMR will find a more rightful place amongst the Guns category for that purpose as well.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wallach said:

So it has a scope, pretty cool. I'll have to be on the lookout for it.

Never picked Cowboy, as I was never a big user of revolvers / lever action rifles. I guess, the next time I'll level up after Dead Money, that'll be one of the first perks I'll think of.

I'll definitely be sticking to the Gobi, it was probably too overpowered in the first place, it'll probably make things more interesting. I mainly use it on human enemies anyway. Anti-Material for Deathclaws and Ratslayer for lower-priority targets. Hunting rifle + scope utilises .308 rounds and is pretty damn powerful, plus it's much easier to repair than the Gobi / SR with the jury rigging perk. That, and I'll give the Trail Carbine a go when I find a scope mod. Those are two things I could fall back on.

But, I'll never give up my Gobi, we've been through so much together. From taking out all the Great Khans at Red Rock to taking out the Legion at Cottonwood Cove. Even a few double kills. Treasured memories. <3 Gobi

tokkun

Wallach said:

So the scoped Hunting Rifle is now a better sniper rifle than the Sniper Rifle, but the Sniper Rifle is better for close/mid-range due to its higher rate of fire.

Doesn't exactly make a lot of sense.

Lakitu

st5fu
tokkun said:
So the scoped Hunting Rifle is now a better sniper rifle than the Sniper Rifle, but the Sniper Rifle is better for close/mid-range due to its higher rate of fire.

True, but the SRs are scoped-only based weapons, while the Hunting Rifle scope is only a mod. I know plenty of occasions where I used it for close-range scenarios.

Ledsen

So does anyone know if the patch fixes the horrible performance problems on some ATI cards that the last patch introduced? My comp is in for repair so I can't check :(

Wallach

tokkun said:

It's a 3 point DAM difference. I don't think that means much in the face of the SRs superior rate of fire, reload, superior scope and silencer capability.

Jerk

Banned
Oooh, 'This Machine' seems like a good all-around weapon.

Also, the AMR is sorta awful. With a firing rate like that, a X2 or x3 crit would have been nice.

Wallach

Jerk 2.0 said:
Oooh, 'This Machine' seems like a good all-around weapon.

It's probably the best "all-around" weapon in the game. Besides that it's probably my favorite rifle just in terms of being satisfying to use.

ScrubJay

Been playing through Fallout 2 in preparation for the patch and going back to New Vegas. Didn't think it possible, but Unarmed/Melee is pretty good, you just have to spec right because you live and die off of critical hits. I've got Sulik, Marcus, Vic, and Cassidy. They work well when they actually do work, for some reason they spend alot of turns just walking around or in the case of Cassidy shooting me in the back with the Pancor Jackhammer. Now that I've got Power Armor, things should be a breeze from here.

Wallach

Found that after the patch, all of the guards at the Silver Rush had their primary weapons reduced to 0 condition. If you kill the one out front (who will have to engage you with fists because his Plasma Rifle is broken) and the others come outside to fight you, there aren't any weapons for them to pick up so they'll all be stuck with fists unless they got a random spawn of a secondary weapon in their inventory (like a Plasma Pistol).

Edit - It's worse than I thought, actually. Any NPCs that spawn with certain weapons that were updated by the patch will now spawn with 0 condition weapons (NCR, Brotherhood, Powder Gangers etc). Be prepared for a lot of fisticuffs until this is fixed.

aasoncott

Really, really hoped this patch would fix the fact that I can't play the game for more then ten minutes without crashing.

... it didn't.

Wallach

klee123 said:
So what was changed with regards to the Gobi Sniper rifle?

Damage was lowered by 20 on both weapons. I know the SR now has a 1x critical chance multiplier now, not sure what the Gobi's is. AP cost increased by I think 8 for both weapons.

It also seems there was a decent amount of love for explosives. Fat Man and Missile Launcher damage was doubled, for example.

Edit - I think I have the base damage value on the GL wrong, actually. Might just be the FM and ML.

Wallach said:
Found that after the patch, all of the guards at the Silver Rush had their primary weapons reduced to 0 condition. If you kill the one out front (who will have to engage you with fists because his Plasma Rifle is broken) and the others come outside to fight you, there aren't any weapons for them to pick up so they'll all be stuck with fists unless they got a random spawn of a secondary weapon in their inventory (like a Plasma Pistol).

Edit - It's worse than I thought, actually. Any NPCs that spawn with certain weapons that were updated by the patch will now spawn with 0 condition weapons (NCR, Brotherhood, Powder Gangers etc). Be prepared for a lot of fisticuffs until this is fixed.

Oh man, that's funny.

klee123

Wallach said:
Damage was lowered by 20 on both weapons. I know the SR now has a 1x critical chance multiplier now, not sure what the Gobi's is. AP cost increased by I think 8 for both weapons.

It also seems there was a decent amount of love for explosives. Fat Man and Missile Launcher damage was doubled, for example.

Edit - Grenade Launcher (not rifle) also went up about 60% (129 DAM w/ 3/3 explosives damage, previously 80).

Ok, so basically the sniper rifle is now useless. That's just great. It doesn't help that the majority of the perks in the game doesn't really affect the sniper rifle in the first place.

SRG01

klee123 said:
Ok, so basically the sniper rifle is now useless. That's just great. It doesn't help that the majority of the perks in the game doesn't really affect the sniper rifle in the first place.

No, it's to make the game not horribly unbalanced towards sniper rifles. I completely steamrolled everything by the time I hit level 16 with a sniper rifle. It's stupid.

Varna

klee123 said:

Sniper rifle was (probably still is) incredibly overpowered. I was having a very challenging time in my game until I got a sniper rifle. The game becomes a cake walk at that point. Sneak attack critical across hundreds of yards kill anything in a couple of shots (even one in a lot of cases) on very hard (w/ HC mode on if that makes a difference).

Wallach said:

:lol can't wait for the next patch

Aaron

Wallach said:
Heh, I went through hell to slaughter these guys before the patch. If I had only waited....

SRG01

LM4sure said:
Hey should I have this guy at the Silver Rush place kill Cass? I don't know how else to complete the mission.

No,
take the guys out and give Cass her perk when you do her personal mission

Gestahl

LM4sure said:
Hey should I have this guy at the Silver Rush place kill Cass? I don't know how else to complete the mission.

You can always murder the Silver Rush and take everything not bolted to the ground

Aaron

LM4sure said:
Depends on how much you like Cass. There's no other way to complete the mission. Of course, it's more profitable to kill them all and take their stuff. They've got some really good stuff.

Top Bottom