• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Ledsen

eznark said:
It's not that bad on PC right now.

Yes it is. Some people can't play for more than 5 mins without it crashing. Others can't even get it to run because it crashes on startup. Still others (like me) get 15-20 fps after the most recent patches, where before they got 50-60. And those are just a few examples. Of course many people have no complaints, but that doesn't mean it's not buggy as shit.

Nose Master

Froze during the "credits" of Dead Money. /sigh.

The foreshadowing to upcoming DLC has me salivating. Besides the energy gun you get in the beginning, is there any decent loot to be had from the current DLC?

Lime

After 30-40 minutes the game crashes to desktop. And I've been waiting all month to finish my paper, so I could start on New Vegas, but alas, I have to endure the massive bugs. And I'm a pretty competent computer guy, so drivers and whatnot are all in order.

krakov

Prisen said:
Why would you need "the lore" to be "correct" if you're new to the series?

It's a common complaint against FO3, I'm guessing mainly since it's developed by Bethesda. I for one think they did a great job with the lore. It's a great place to start if you're new to the series, unlike FNV which is by far the worst starting point imho. I'm still on my way to finishing it so I'll spare final judgement, but 60 hours in it's probably the most frustrating game I've ever played.

cilonen

kamspy said:
If you're new to the series I'd go straight to New Vegas. FO3 didn't even understand the lore. Not to mention the piss boring story and long term cave roving and DC ruin (fancy textured corridor) running.

Sure Fallout 3 was a good game when I played it, but New Vegas makes it completely obsolete.

I felt exactly the opposite. FO3's rebooted world is miles better than the dire uninteresting mishmash of factions in NV. As other have said Capital Wasteland >> Mojave Wasteland and it's exploration-killing invisible walls.

To the original poster asking the question, get FO3 GOTY and come back to NV when it's less broken, although unfortunately any patches won't make NV's story or setting any better.

stupei

krakov said:
It's a common complaint against FO3, I'm guessing mainly since it's developed by Bethesda. I for one think they did a great job with the lore. It's a great place to start if you're new to the series, unlike FNV which is by far the worst starting point imho. I'm still on my way to finishing it so I'll spare final judgement, but 60 hours in it's probably the most frustrating game I've ever played.
Well there is the fact that plenty of people in this thread who had only played FO3 previously were baffled by the behavior of the Brotherhood in NV.

If your only experience is FO3, you come away thinking the Brotherhood are an order of noble knights and Super Mutants are orcs with guns.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
fizzelopeguss said:
The best place to start on the series has, and always will be fallout 1.

Wasteland was the better game and the true start

Durante

Well, having played 7 hours and crashed 4 times this seems about as buggy as Fallout 3.

However, the setting and story already interests me more than FO3 ever did, and I already met more memorable characters than throughout that whole game.

Hyunkel6

The reputation system in the game is broken. According to the game, I'm neutral towards the NCR and the Crimson Caravan. Yet, they keep attacking me on sight even when I'm wearing an NCR armor. I spent a good 30 - 45 minutes reloading saves, trying to improve my rep. Nothing worked. In the end, I was frustrated as hell and wiped them all out. Failed a shitload of quests, but feels good, man.

Blackace

Hyunkel6 said:
The reputation system in the game is broken. According to the game, I'm neutral towards the NCR and the Crimson Caravan. Yet, they keep attacking me on sight even when I'm wearing an NCR armor. I spent a good 30 - 45 minutes reloading saves, trying to improve my rep. Nothing worked. In the end, I was frustrated as hell and wiped them all out. Failed a shitload of quests, but feels good, man.

Do you have anyone in your party?

After more than 40 hours... got all the endings + more than 40 side quests completed and all the trophies I can get from this game .

It was a very fun ride for me... way better than Fallout 3 for me, great experience and can't can't wait for the next Fallout game which I hope it would be Fallout 4 and with anew engine .

Btw... I LoOoOoOove Cass <3

Blackace

Hyunkel6 said:
Rex and Lily. I told them to wait outside the Crimson Caravan camp once. I still got attacked.

Just having NPCs in your party, anywhere you have them wait, will get you attacked if they oppose the fraction.. Might have to send her to the hotel

Hyunkel6

Blackace said:
Just having NPCs in your party, anywhere you have them wait, will get you attacked if they oppose the fraction.. Might have to send her to the hotel
Ahhh, gotcha. I'll try that asap. Thanks a lot.

eznark

Banned
Ledsen said:
Yes it is. Some people can't play for more than 5 mins without it crashing. Others can't even get it to run because it crashes on startup. Still others (like me) get 15-20 fps after the most recent patches, where before they got 50-60. And those are just a few examples. Of course many people have no complaints, but that doesn't mean it's not buggy as shit.
I can only speak forvmy modest rig. No real problems outside of occasional enemy clipping.

Lakitu

st5fu
The Praiseworthy said:
After more than 40 hours... got all the endings + more than 40 side quests completed and all the trophies I can get from this game .

It was a very fun ride for me... way better than Fallout 3 for me, great experience and can't can't wait for the next Fallout game which I hope it would be Fallout 4 and with anew engine .

Btw... I LoOoOoOove Cass <3

Looking likely that Bethesda will develop Fallout 4, since they already have had a game in pre-production for a while, that's not Skyrim.

Fallout 4, in Chicago, with more Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave stuff would be pretty nice.

Lakitu said:
Looking likely that Bethesda will develop Fallout 4, since they already have had a game in pre-production for a while, that's not Skyrim.

Fallout 4, in Chicago, with more Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave stuff would be pretty nice.

Skyrim in 2011 and Fallout 4 in 2012... and I would be a very very happy gamer :D

Ricker

Really not digging the second part of Dead Money...I have no clue what to do in there,I keep dying at one part and can`t figure out what i`m suppose to be doing and getting a little tired of
the constant rushing around because of the beeping collar and those holograms are a pain also...I managed to not kill Dog but the second guy Deano,whatever I do I have to fight those impossible odds after or something...

Aaron

Newest version of the mod RTS has been released. This allows you to build your own settlement from available resources by constructing buildings and other structures, bringing in settlers you give different jobs, and balancing your relations to the various factions of the game, who will send hit squads after you if you piss them off. Though it's still in progress, it's one of the most amazing mods I've ever played in any game. Check it out, but make sure you read the faq.

gdt

Okay, just have a question about Mr House/The Big Battle:

I just spoke to the Colonel at Hoover Dam, and her only quest left (because I had already done all the other ones was take out Mr. House. All of my "story" quests now lead to Mr. House, so, just to check, I deal with him first, before the battle? Isn't there also a quest with the President, too? Is that after I deal with Mr. House, as well?

Side note: I'm going Wild Card (bitches!)

Dead Man

Aaron said:
Newest version of the mod RTS has been released. This allows you to build your own settlement from available resources by constructing buildings and other structures, bringing in settlers you give different jobs, and balancing your relations to the various factions of the game, who will send hit squads after you if you piss them off. Though it's still in progress, it's one of the most amazing mods I've ever played in any game. Check it out, but make sure you read the faq.
Loved it in FO3, I've been waiting for a few revisions but Arcoolka makes great stuff. Wastleland defence is another mod that foes a similar thing but is more combat oriented. Still a work in progress, but it is planned for it to work with RTS.

Dammit! These three fire geckos I'm trying to get past by keep killing Boone. What kind of fucking pussy was he nerfed into? He doesn't use his fucking gun, he just asks to die. Tips for fire geckos and how to make Boone good again (mods?).

krakov

stupei said:
Well there is the fact that plenty of people in this thread who had only played FO3 previously were baffled by the behavior of the Brotherhood in NV.

If your only experience is FO3, you come away thinking the Brotherhood are an order of noble knights and Super Mutants are orcs with guns.

Yeah, that's really different from Fallout 1.

Omie

ChoklitReign said:
Dammit! These three fire geckos I'm trying to get past by keep killing Boone. What kind of fucking pussy was he nerfed into? He doesn't use his fucking gun, he just asks to die. Tips for fire geckos and how to make Boone good again (mods?).

Give him the Anti-Material Rifle, you can buy it at the Gun Runners and make sure that no other weapon is equipped. Also, be sure to give him some armor with a higher DT. You can also have a non-humanoid companion with you. I usually role with Boone and ED-E.

I've been running into a weird bug, and I'm curious if anyone else has been dealing with it. Female great khans will randomly appear and then approach me as if to engage in conversation. The screen zooms in, then immediately zooms back out without anything being said. Then she just follows me. Also, if I try to sleep, I will be awoken by the same thing. If I try to go back to sleep it will happen over and over again until I have a rom full of women :lol. Not really game breaking, but it does break immersion in an annoying way.

Yeef

Just finished the game last night (The House Always Wins). it wasn't my first choice, but it seemed like the easiest way to go and I wanted to finish the game. Gonna try some of the other paths over the next week or so.

Ricker

Omie said:
Give him the Anti-Material Rifle, you can buy it at the Gun Runners and make sure that no other weapon is equipped. Also, be sure to give him some armor with a higher DT. You can also have a non-humanoid companion with you. I usually role with Boone and ED-E.

I prefered Rex,because of his knockdowns... :)

Omie said:
I'm only level 9, I don't know where to buy an ATR. I can't even use it. His armor DT is a 10, reinforced leather armor.

I'm trying to enter The Strip from Freeside and this robot says I have to pay 2,000 credits to get past (successfully) or find a credit/passport. How can I avoid paying?

hemtae

ChoklitReign said:
I'm trying to enter The Strip from Freeside and this robot says I have to pay 2,000 credits to get past (successfully) or find a credit/passport. How can I avoid paying?

Talk to the King in Freeside and do a couple of things for him or go to Camp McCarran and use the monorail by having NCR armor on or having a good reputation with the NCR

Yeef

You can also buy a passport for 500 caps from Mick & Ralph's.

The 2000 is just a credit check though. As long as you have 2000 caps just talk to the robot and he'll let you by. I'm pretty sure once you've gone in once you're good to go, but then, I've never dropped below 2000 after hitting the Strip.

Deadly

Is there a mod like Marty's Mutant mod from FO3 yet? I think I've pretty much found every location there is and I want to go around and own people for fun before finishing the game. The few fiends you find around vault 3 just ain't satisfying enough :D

Aaron

Deadly said:
Is there a mod like Marty's Mutant mod from FO3 yet? I think I've pretty much found every location there is and I want to go around and own people for fun before finishing the game. The few fiends you find around vault 3 just ain't satisfying enough :D
There's a mod called World of Pain that adds more 'dungeons.' Basically places to kill monsters. You should also load the new vegas bounties mod if you haven't. It's basically a new quest line, complete with voice acting, and sweet weapon prizes.

There's also RTS and Wasteland Defense for a different sort of challenge.

Deadly

Aaron said:
There's a mod called World of Pain that adds more 'dungeons.' Basically places to kill monsters. You should also load the new vegas bounties mod if you haven't. It's basically a new quest line, complete with voice acting, and sweet weapon prizes.

There's also RTS and Wasteland Defense for a different sort of challenge.
"Gauss Rifle awesomeness reduced slightly" hmmm I don't know if I like the sound of that :lol . New Vegas Bounties sounds great though.

UFRA

Just got the PS3 version of this for Christmas. Started a bit today and just created my character and got out of the Doc's house. Not much else.

Can't wait to dig into this. :D

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yeah, New Vegas Bounties is good. It's the first mod with decent voice acting I tried. And loot is substantial. 3> fireaxe.

Natural

Quick question: been playing for a hour or two now and whenever I steal stuff or kill innocents I get bad karma. What exactly is karma and does it matter so much as opposed to reputation with the different factions etc?

Top Bottom