• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
gdt5016 said:
Is there some way to pick up a companion, and quickly trigger their mission? So I can do them all quickly, then get Boone The Boss again?

Certain quests or travelling to certain locations will make the triggers go faster if done with certain companions, but otherwise, afaik, it's purely a time/missions done that triggers the actual missions themselves.

This is freaking unbelievable!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!

WTF? this game freezes on me like 3 - 4 times in 1 hour?

SO ANNOYING!!

got 2 endings already and now on my way on the 3rd one... can't wait to get all the endings to get over with this game already :\

too shame I'm enjoying this so much and way more than F3 and I want to complete every side quest in there... but god the freezing i can't handle it ANYMORE just want to get the endings and say GOODBYE :mad:

lil smoke

Banned
Man. I have villian status with The Legion and NCR, cannot find Benny, or the Chip. I have quest markers that point to absolutely nothing at the location for their related quests. There is a marker at Lucky 38 and nothing there. A marker at that dock. Nothing there or at the fort. Am I supposed to kill everyone in that tent and steal the chip? (Killing off the entire Fort with an YCS-186 was damn fun though haha dudes couldn't run away fast enough)

This all started when I chose to kill that old well dressed Crimson Caravan Lady, but dumb me tried to pickpocket her first, while she was sleep. I could have just killed and looted her, but nope... that's 2 bad actions. I also got caught inside Gun Runners...someone saw me as my Stealthboy wore off. :(

So, what now? Suit up and kill the entire map off?

Massa

The Praiseworthy said:
This is freaking unbelievable!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!

WTF? this game freezes on me like 3 - 4 times in 1 hour?

SO ANNOYING!!

got 2 endings already and now on my way on the 3rd one... can't wait to get all the endings to get over with this game already :\

too shame I'm enjoying this so much and way more than F3 and I want to complete every side quest in there... but god the freezing i can't handle it ANYMORE just want to get the endings and say GOODBYE :mad:

Where does it freeze? For me it's usually on heavily populated areas (Bitter Springs, Camp Hope for instance). The solution is to always fast travel to/from these places, never walk around it.

PS3 here.

lil smoke said:
Man. I have villian status with The Legion and NCR, cannot find Benny, or the Chip. I have quest markers that point to absolutely nothing at the location for their related quests. There is a marker at Lucky 38 and nothing there. A marker at that dock. Nothing there or at the fort. Am I supposed to kill everyone in that tent and steal the chip? (Killing off the entire Fort with an YCS-186 was damn fun though haha dudes couldn't run away fast enough)

This all started when I chose to kill that old well dressed Crimson Caravan Lady, but dumb me tried to pickpocket her first, while she was sleep. I could have just killed and looted her, but nope... that's 2 bad actions. I also got caught inside Gun Runners...someone saw me as my Stealthboy wore off. :(

So, what now? Suit up and kill the entire map off?

What quests do you have available?

The Praiseworthy said:
Yes PS3... and by a large save file you mean is the 6490 KB?

hmm i dunno, that isn't THAT big. i noticed in Fallout 3 on PS3 that the larger my savefile grew, the more it crashed. at the end my save was 16mb (because i did everything possible), and the game had become pretty much unplayable. if the same will happen with New Vegas, i will rage.

astroturfing said:
hmm i dunno, that isn't THAT big. i noticed in Fallout 3 on PS3 that the larger my savefile grew, the more it crashed. at the end my save was 16mb (because i did everything possible), and the game had become pretty much unplayable. if the same will happen with New Vegas, i will rage.

I'm curious, does this problem have more to do with Sony's propriety HDD formatting?

I got Vegas for the 360 and am on my second playthrough, I have done almost everything possible before heading to the Fort, including Dead Money. Vegas will start to stutter and loading times begin to increase after around 4 hours playtime. When that happens, I just return to the dashboard, clear the cache, start playing again and everything is back to normal.

I can't say I play the PS3 that often but I've heard the longer it's used the more crapped out the HDD becomes, regardless of game. Can someone elaborate or correct me and is this the main problem rather than those of the fuckwits at Obsidion?

astroturfing said:

You and me both :/

Hyunkel6

I have no idea why the Crimson Caravan attacks me on sight. Maybe it has something to do with my bad reputation with the NCR? I can't seem to recruit Cass now. As soon as I step in the Mojave Outpost's saloon, she starts blasting at me with her shotgun. Is there any way to improve my reputation with the Caravan?

lil smoke

Banned
Massa said:
What quests do you have available?
All of the "Wild Card..." quests. Just got em.

I'm now on something like, obtain the Lucky 38 keycard, Find Benny and retrieve the Platinum Chip.

I don't think I need the key card since I have +75 science, and just dealt with House.
Went to Camp Golf anyways just to complete that part of the quest, but now I'm dealing with of course NCR everywhere. Can't find any keycard by the marker, so I'll try later.

And as far as I know, once you're villified with NCR (Crimson Caravan included), there is no going back. You have to pick a side at some point.... which is why I'm now backtracking and kissing some ass.

Dead Man

I've been playing around for a few weeks now, and I just don't find the Mojave as interesting as the Capital Wasteland. The individual quests are better on the whole, but the environment bores me silly. Everything is marked on the map, and there are so many buildings that have map markers that you can't do anything with. It's still fun, and I don't regret buying it, but I have been surprised by finding Bethesdas take more satisfying than Obsidians.

kai3345

Banned
Damn it. I now have this weird glitch across all of my save files.

The only way I can shoot is if I holster my weapon and then pull it back out, where it then shoots one bullet and then won't shoot again until I repeat.

Why does such a great game have to be ruined by so many goddamn glitches

kai3345 said:
Damn it. I now have this weird glitch across all of my save files.

The only way I can shoot is if I holster my weapon and then pull it back out, where it then shoots one bullet and then won't shoot again until I repeat.

Why does such a great game have to be ruined by so many goddamn glitches

ouch :/

and yep it's so tragic.. just imagine how fucking great the game could have been if they had had the balls to just delay it by 6 months or something (like R* with RDR), and they had used that time to iron out EVERY single bug and maybe polish it a bit.

Deadly

I need help for Veronica's triggers, she's talked to me twice so I'm only missing one of them but none of them seem to work. Any tricks or something? PC version.

GeoramA

Game is unplayable on PS3 now. No matter where I'm at it slows down to literally 5fps and then just crashes. I re-installed it and it's still fucked up.

Before the latest patch, it only froze twice on me and I was about 40 hours in. Since then, I haven't even turned the game off once on my own terms :lol

So pissed.

hank_tree

I really enjoyed Dead Money. The story was excellent. You spend a little too much time on fetch quests etc. in the first area but other then that it was well worth the time/money. I'm really looking forward to the next DLC now that there seems to be an over-arching story connecting them.

GeoramA said:
Game is unplayable on PS3 now. No matter where I'm at it slows down to literally 5fps and then just crashes. I re-installed it and it's still fucked up.

Before the latest patch, it only froze twice on me and I was about 40 hours in. Since then, I haven't even turned the game off once on my own terms :lol

So pissed.

that's just fantastic. so it really is like Fallout 3, the further you get and the bigger your savefile, the more unstable it becomes until eventually it's unplayable. a friend on PSN told me the exact same thing you're saying, he said it worked ok for the first 40 hours but then it started freezing constantly. two people saying the exact same thing is proof enough for me and i'm already full of rage in anticipation of the same freeze-a-thon happening to me..

man, i don't want to sound childish.. but FUCK Bethesda and Obsidian AND Sony for letting a game be released in this condition, AGAIN. i feel like they're mocking us and having zero respect for us.. does the PS3 coding team at Bethesda/Obsidian despise the PS3 userbase or something? because this is a fucking joke.

i guess i was right buying this used. at first i felt kinda guilty but now i feel it was the right choice. after the disastrous quality of Fallout 3 DLC on PS3 i promised never to give any money to Bethesda ever again.

CAW

I'm really bummed out this is a 360 exclusive. I've been wanting to get back into NV for awhile now, but it's been difficult with all these new titles I've yet to play, but when I heard about the DLC I was so excited! But I have the PC version.

Is it worth getting the 360 version just for this DLC? Will there be more 360 exclusive DLC? Damn exclusive DLCs!

Kurtofan

Santiako said:
I'm going to start this game tonight, and i have just one question, is charisma still a useless stat?
It adds points to your Speech and Barter skills, and while you can still max them out without it, Speech extra points are welcome if you want to talk your way out of situations.
If you want to make a caveman you don't need high Charisma.

CAW said:
I'm really bummed out this is a 360 exclusive. I've been wanting to get back into NV for awhile now, but it's been difficult with all these new titles I've yet to play, but when I heard about the DLC I was so excited! But I have the PC version.

Is it worth getting the 360 version just for this DLC? Will there be more 360 exclusive DLC? Damn exclusive DLCs!

It might be a timed exclusive, I don't really think anyone knows for sure. If it is, you can always wait for the Game of the Year edition on the 360 and get all the DLC together. I'd stick with the PC version until then.

Lakitu

st5fu
I found the Deathclaw Promontory a few days ago (before Dead Money) and it was so awesome. :D

I just used my Anti-Material rifle, a stealth boy, sneak and sniped pretty much all of them down. <3 Anti-Material

Lots of eggs there as well, which are worth a pretty penny.

Do they respawn every so often there? It's somewhere I'd like to return, because it's just so much fun.

Also, I'm still wearing the Assassin's Suit. So good.

Jerk

Banned
subversus said:
no it isn't

Yes it is.

Speech and Barter are both incredibly useful, but charisma itself can safely be set at 1.

The DT/Damage boost is nice, but you and some of the better companions are perfectly capable of wrecking shot on VH/HC without extra nerve.

Only time it is worth it is if your character is a pacifist/charismatic-types.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Jerk 2.0 said:
Yes it is.

Speech and Barter are both incredibly useful, but charisma itself can safely be set at 1.

you just don't read other posts, don't you?

Charisma boosts up your companion's damage and armor. If you have 10 charisma they are increased by 50%.
Is it clear???

Jerk

Banned
subversus said:
you just don't read other posts, don't you?

Charisma boosts up your companion's damage and armor. If you have 10 charisma they are increased by 50%.
Is it clear???

I know it boosts nerve. The boost just is not really important enough justify spending points on it.

And unless you have a specific character type, spending anywhere near that much on Charisma is a huge waste.

subversus

Jerk 2.0 said:
I know it boosts nerve. The boost just is not really important enough justify spending points on it.

since my companions do like 70% of work for me I consider it important enough. Both of my builds have high charisma.

Celsior

totally complete dead money, god the speakers in the vault were annoying. I had to kill Dean and Christine, couldn't talk them out of attacking me though. Can you not kill them?

Jerk

Banned
subversus said:
since my companions do like 70% of work for me I consider it important enough. Both of my builds have high charisma.

And yours are the specific (suboptimal) types that I mentioned. As general advice though, the answer to whether or not CHA is useful is still: 'not really.'

RobertM

astroturfing said:
i'm guessing PS3, and with a rather large savefile? just a guess..
Are you talking about the Auto Save file? I think you might be onto something. My auto save file got corrupted twice already on me, and I always get some stuttering during instant travel. I'll try switching off the auto save function and see where that leads me, but last time I did it the game still froze.

subversus

Jerk 2.0 said:
And yours are the specific types that I mentioned. As general advice though, the answer to whether or not CHA is useful is still: 'not really.'

Well, I can say that about any spec from SPECIAL. It totally depends on what kind of a specific character you build. I can lower my perception to 1 but raise endurance or luck to 10 and still complete the game easily. Both maxed out endurance and luck would have tremendous influence on my style of playing the game because I'll play it to my strengths. The game is very combat heavy, so having two almost overpowered companions is a huge bonus and I win most battles because of them only. But if I had a combat build I wouldn't need companions at all and charisma too.

Jerk

Banned
subversus said:
Well, I can say that about any spec from SPECIAL.

No you cannot. Especially if want to 'do everything' or meet the least resistance.

One of the main reasons that Charisma is easily ignored is because it has no really useful feats attached to it (regardless of build); most of the others do.

Keep in mind though, this is coming from someone that does not really roleplay. My goal is usually to try to do as much as possible as efficiently as possible.

Several NPC interactions are not available with low charisma, so if you want to "do everything" then 1 CHA will prevent that. Also Animal Friend and Ferocious Loyalty require high CHA. Just saying.

Jerk

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Several NPC interactions are not available with low charisma, so if you want to "do everything" then 1 CHA will prevent that. Also Animal Friend and Ferocious Loyalty require high CHA. Just saying.

:lol, true. On the other hand, having charisma that low also opens some interesting things.

And I personally consider those two perks to be useless.

subversus

Jerk 2.0 said:
:lol, true. On the other hand, having charisma that low also opens some interesting things.

And I personally consider those two perks to be useless.

You consider them useless. Some other people don't.

Also yes, you can't do EVERYTHING in the game without high charisma. I can also mention Boomer babies.

And would I want to be able to do everything in an RPG? It is a role-playing game after all.

Jerk

Banned
subversus said:
You consider them useless. Some other people don't.

Also yes, you can't do EVERYTHING in the game without high charisma. I can also mention Boomer babies.

Massa said:
There's no build that allows you to do everything in Fallout New Vegas.

Poor choice of words on my part (though the quotation marks were there for a reason). I cleared it up in an above post.

And would I want to be able to do everything in an RPG? It is a role-playing game after all.

Very true.

I did name my character Mary Sue though...

I want some noob tips. I'm 4 hours in and have to travel to Novac from Primm.

1. Any interesting areas, weapons, or armor nearby Goodspring and Primm) that aren't dangerous?
2. On hardcore mode is there any way to heal without food or stimpacks?
3. Explain crafting. I know you can break down crap into ammo but that's it.

subversus

ChoklitReign said:
I want some noob tips. I'm 4 hours in and have to travel to Novac from Primm.

1. Any interesting areas, weapons, or armor nearby Goodspring and Primm) that aren't dangerous?
2. On hardcore mode is there any way to heal without food or stimpacks?
3. Explain crafting. I know you can break down crap into ammo but that's it.

Any doctor can heal you. Also you can drink clean water.

you can convert some of your ammo into another type of ammo using crafting. There's an option for that. Well, at least for energy weapons.

Ricker

I`m completly stomped in Dead Money...as requested,even though I didn`t mention anything that spoilery

once you are inside the Sierra Madre,all the doors I can access need a key that I don`t have...the quest says to find entrance to the Electrical closet and the marker is completly useless...I disabled the 3 emitters,no more annoying patrols,just the collar stuff...I went and looked everywhere,the door I need to access needs a key...where is it?

Top Bottom