• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Hyunkel6

Natural said:
Quick question: been playing for a hour or two now and whenever I steal stuff or kill innocents I get bad karma. What exactly is karma and does it matter so much as opposed to reputation with the different factions etc?
Karma is just a measure of your moral standing in the Mojave, but has absolutely no impact in the game. It doesn't matter if you are good, neutral or evil. I played around 75 hours over 1.5 playthroughs and have yet to see its usefulness. Reputation on the other hand is key to factions being friendly or hostile to you.

ElFly

cilonen said:
I felt exactly the opposite. FO3's rebooted world is miles better than the dire uninteresting mishmash of factions in NV. As other have said Capital Wasteland >> Mojave Wasteland and it's exploration-killing invisible walls.

Pretty much my same feelings. New Vegas is not a bad game, but it loses the archaelogical feeling of FO3, where you'd visit some destroyed building and the artifacts inside would give you a chilling story of what happened there after the armagedon.

New Vegas is just the same as pre-war Old Vegas, just with more gang violence and some mutants hiding in the mountains.

Simply, the story about NCR largely succeeding at rebuilding civilization, complete with taxes, passports, trading routes, democracy, etc, is not as interesting as the nearly complete disaster that was the Capital Wasteland.

e: This is not even considering the criminal mishandling of the radio in NV, the terrible start of the game, or the waste that is Chandler voicing Benny.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ElFly said:
Pretty much my same feelings. New Vegas is not a bad game, but it loses the archaelogical feeling of FO3, where you'd visit some destroyed building and the artifacts inside would give you a chilling story of what happened there after the armagedon.

holy shit at these reactions. The opposite day for sure.

But that means that no matter how hard you try you can't please anyone. People are soooo different.

Fallout 3 was a pure action-RPG for me, except for some DLC pieces. I installed the mod which increases weapon damage and range, retooles enemy AI and introduces slo-mo besides VATS. Then I played it like a stealth shooter. I used to discover new locations and kill all hostiles who lived there because I was so uninterested in lore and interactions with NPC that combat was the only thing that saved this game from being uninstalled forever. I mean there were some decent quests, locations (especially in DLC which was better than the main game)but in general... not so good.

New Vegas feels opposite for me. Every location feels unique. Everyone has personality. I can't stop roaming in Mojave because exploration is actually interesting this time and quests are brilliant.

Well, but if some people think that FO3 is better, than it is really better for some people.

mujun

Just finished my 4th play through, Hardcore Mode for the first time too. Took some of the fun out of it in my book as it was mainly just more time spent managing stats. The ending reel got me going again. I really need another game like this to move on to, I don't want to go back to just fps/racing/action :(

mujun

subversus said:
New Vegas feels opposite for me. Every location feels unique. Everyone has personality. I can't stop roaming in Mojave because exploration is actually interesting this time and quests are brilliant.

Well, but if some people think that FO3 is better, than it is really better for some people.

I'm with you, loved FO3 but this is just on a whole other level. It's pretty much moved in to equal top spot on my favorite games ever list along side Demon's Souls.

ElFly

Gameplay is definitely better in NV. From the factions system, to the impossibility to max out everything, new perks, to the damage threshold stat. Although this last improvement makes some weapons inviable in the long run, since most of the legion/ncr troops have sky high DT, so you are better off with high power weapons, while in FO3 you could roll with whatever weapon you liked (mostly cause the game was easier).

I feel the gameplay changes aren't that important in such a rpg, compared to the setting/writing/feeling, so I can't avoid concluding that NV is inferior to FO3.

e:I don't know how I feel about hardcore mode. I haven't died of starvation or dehydration or lack of sleep, so all it does is to fill up my pipboy with food. And the doctor's bag thing is just annoying.

Now, the stimpacks acting over time is better than FO3 and makes combat harder. So it's a mixed bag.

e2:I wonder if there's a mod backporting the gameplay changes to FO3.

Natural said:
Quick question: been playing for a hour or two now and whenever I steal stuff or kill innocents I get bad karma. What exactly is karma and does it matter so much as opposed to reputation with the different factions etc?

You can potentially lose some companions with a really low karma, but that's about it.

The only thing that made hardcore difficult was that your companions would permanently die. Otherwise it was just kind of annoying.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
NV is better in every way over Fallout 3. Gameplay, combat, quests, dialogue, choices and consequences, world design, locations, enemies, voice acting, character design, storyline, believability.. there is not a single thing where NV doesnt eclipse FO3.

Lothars

water_wendi said:
NV is better in every way over Fallout 3. Gameplay, combat, quests, dialogue, choices and consequences, world design, locations, enemies, voice acting, character design. storyline, believability.. there is not a single thing where NV doesnt eclipse FO3.

I disagree, fallout 3 has a better world, better locations to me its the better game even though I like the characters and storyline better in new vegas, its still not as good overall as fallout 3.

In time it might be equal but I guess we will see, its just not there yet.

subversus

water_wendi said:
Thats odd since FWE put in half the gameplay changes that NV did in the game. Why port it back to FO3 style?

it was sort of a joke. FWE puts in more gameplay changes than NV did and it's not "a port-back". It's just an easily customizable version of hardcore mode and a better one imo. At least if somebody don't like being hungry all the time he/she can turn it off. Also I miss slo-mo. It made firefights epic.

It's old hat for this thread, but the dividing line between whether or not you prefer FNV to F3 is whether or not you played the first two games in the series, and then if you liked the progenitor or the sequel.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Lothars said:
I disagree, fallout 3 has a better world, better locations to me its the better game even though I like the characters and storyline better in new vegas, its still not as good overall as fallout 3.

In time it might be equal but I guess we will see, its just not there yet.
i disagree. Fallout 3s world is horribly conceived. The communities dont make sense (Lamplight, Bigtown, the Family, the superhero town, etc.. The only places that are ok are Rivet City and Paradise Falls). The plotline with Project Purity is borderline retarded (its basically a rehash of Fallout 2 but instead of using global wind currents to purify the land, the Enclave this time around chose the Potomac as their delivery method).

subversus

bonesmccoy said:
It's old hat for this thread, but the dividing line between whether or not you prefer FNV to F3 is whether or not you played the first two games in the series, and then if you liked the progenitor or the sequel.

I played the first two games and liked FO2 more than FO1. And it leaves me with...?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
subversus said:
I played the first two games and liked FO2 more than FO1. And it leaves me with...?

Nothing. You liked the series before it became a shootan game with auto-headshots for you.

ElFly

water_wendi said:
i disagree. Fallout 3s world is horribly conceived. The communities dont make sense (Lamplight, Bigtown, the Family, the superhero town, etc.. The only places that are ok are Rivet City and Paradise Falls). The plotline with Project Purity is borderline retarded (its basically a rehash of Fallout 2 but instead of using global wind currents to purify the land, the Enclave this time around chose the Potomac as their delivery method).

I have to disagree too. The completely fucked up communities of FO3 are a big part of what made it great.

In contrast, New Vegas suffers of a terminal boringness, given how most of the towns are living a normal life now, with only the legion and a couple of other minor gangs to rise trouble.

I was not a big fan of the main plot in FO3, but at least in the start it had a great delivery, and gave the main character a great motivation, while in NV your whole story is condensed in a terrible FMV and you are booted into a regular western town.

In the same vein,
Mr. House/Benny plan's is more intelligent than J.H.Eden's, but simply, Eden is the better written character, and NV completely fails to provide a comparable counterpart.

Ricker

Last part of Dead Money,can someone give me a hint here...small spoiler in case:

Ok i`m inside the Vault now and not too far in,there is a section I don`t have enough time to reach before my head is blown off...I found one speaker that I can destroy but that still doesn`t leave me enough time...i`m about 5 seconds away from a terminal...it`s the section where the annoying alarm starts to buzz every second,on top of your collar and the poison stuff in some places...

You think they could of added a few more things in this section for some trial and error maybe...jesus :lol ....I swear to god those who make these parts must be laughing their ass off at us sometimes :D

Durante

ElFly said:
I was not a big fan of the main plot in FO3, but at least in the start it had a great delivery, and gave the main character a great motivation, while in NV your whole story is condensed in a terrible FMV and you are booted into a regular western town.
People are so different. I found that "terrible FMV" already presented a more interesting environment and motivation than the entirety of FO3's main story arc.

gdt

Ricker said:
Last part of Dead Money,can someone give me a hint here...small spoiler in case:

Ok i`m inside the Vault now and not too far in,there is a section I don`t have enough time to reach before my head is blown off...I found one speaker that I can destroy but that still doesn`t leave me enough time...i`m about 5 seconds away from a terminal...it`s the section where the annoying alarm starts to buzz every second,on top of your collar and the poison stuff in some places...

You think they could of added a few more things in this section for some trial and error maybe...jesus :lol ....I swear to god those who make these parts must be laughing their ass off at us sometimes :D

Jump the stairs a bit to shave a few seconds off, then you can make it to the terminal.

gdt

So,
just took out Mr. House, was kinda sad :(.

Now to help the NCR defeat The Legion (I already killed Caesar).

I put some saves aside so I can see all the ending/achievements.

Aaron

water_wendi said:
Thats odd since FWE put in half the gameplay changes that NV did in the game. Why port it back to FO3 style?
It's not a port back. Wanderer's Edition predates New Vegas. I'm not certain, but I believe they even hired the guy who made it to make hardcore mode for NV.

subversus said:
it was sort of a joke. FWE puts in more gameplay changes than NV did and it's not "a port-back". It's just an easily customizable version of hardcore mode and a better one imo. At least if somebody don't like being hungry all the time he/she can turn it off. Also I miss slo-mo. It made firefights epic.
There's a slo-mo mod for NV. There's a mod for almost anything. Just search the nexus.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Aaron said:
It's not a port back. Wanderer's Edition predates New Vegas. I'm not certain, but I believe they even hired the guy who made it to make hardcore mode for NV.
i know that which is why i said that a FWE for NV that made things like FO3 would be something i doubt would happen. And the person Obsidian hired was Jorge Saldago aka Oscuro of Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul.

And its true that Eden is the best thing about Fallout 3. Its a shame for Fallout 3 that he was the only memorable character. New Vegas has characters aplenty. Vulpes Inculta appears in most games for like 5 minutes and leaves a stronger impression than every character in FO3 except for Eden. Add in characters like Caesar, Mr House, Yes Man, Primm Slim, every one of the humanoid companions and its really no contest.

ElFly

stupei said:
Yes Man exists, therefor your argument is invalid.

Yes Man is great, but he simply doesn't have the presence over the plot or the world that Eden had.

klee123 said:
Still can't compare to Eden's monologues played on Enclave radio.

New Vegas' misuse of the radio renders it unquestionably, inescapably, inferior.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
klee123 said:
Still can't compare to Eden's monologues played on Enclave radio.
Black Mountain Radio with Best Friend Tabitha and Rhonda is a very strong 2nd to Enclave radio. The person that cast Malcolm McDowell deserves a raise. i can guarantee you it wasnt Todd Howards idea.

Empty

Grabbed this in the boxing day sales for a good price and haven't been able to stop playing it. Really pleasant surprise, i mean obviously i wouldn't have bought it if i wasn't expecting it to be good, but i'm enjoying it way more than i thought.

Just the first few hours were excellent as you dealt with the interconnected issues between the factions of powder gangs, citizens and the NCR around Goodsprings and Primm, with all the quests in that area kinda meeting together in a few ways to develop your understanding of the place. Love the way the game so far presents things morally in shades of grey with the various groups all morally dubious and with their own interesting motivations, the range of approaches to a few quests i've encountered and the way the new reputation system - that i've admittedly only just touched - gives you the feeling of there being real consequences in the game world for your actions. The mechanics are basically the same from fallout 3 (though i like the iron sights on the guns) and they have their draws, but the care that was put into the way the various stories in the games reveal themselves is impressing me.

Last quest i finished was Come Fly with Me, which was brilliant. Really dug the ending to that.

Dartastic

I really need to remember to save more often. Lost a SHITTON of progress on the overworld because I forgot to FUCKING SAVE. I DIED BECAUSE I FORGOT I WAS WEARING FACTION ARMOR. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Deadly

Dartastic said:
I really need to remember to save more often. Lost a SHITTON of progress on the overworld because I forgot to FUCKING SAVE. I DIED BECAUSE I FORGOT I WAS WEARING FACTION ARMOR. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Happened to me once too, I went in and everyone started shooting at me and I was like WTF, then I realized I was wearing Brotherhood of Steel Power Armor :lol

Yeef

Odd, usually when I wear faction armor a reminder pops up every minute or so.

Also, with all of the auto saves and quicksaves the three times I've crashed I never lost more than a minute or so of progress.

Mr_Brit

Banned
So yeah, the game crashed on me for the 100th time except this time it was during the ending so I missed most of the epilogues, had to read up on the New Vegas wiki to see what I missed. Thanks again Obsidian!

gdt

Just finished the game, (once again) loved the individual wrap ups. Somethings weren't as positive as I'd hoped (totally forgot to clear out the NCR prison, for example), but it was all good.

60 hour playtime. Good Karma, Wild Card. There was still alot of stuff left to do :lol .

ElFly

Deadly said:
Happened to me once too, I went in and everyone started shooting at me and I was like WTF, then I realized I was wearing Brotherhood of Steel Power Armor :lol

That's really annoying. I worked hard to receive power armor training, and these assholes just shoot me on sight. It took me a couple of deaths before realizing what had I done to piss on their cheerios.

Even when my companion is a brotherhood girl in power armor too, and they had no problem receiving her when I was rocking NCR armor.

subversus said:
Eden's monologues were pretty standart.

The thing about Eden's monologues is not their originality, but the contrast they provide between the destruction you see and the optimism he irradiates.

When you get out of vault 101, the first message you get is "Enclave Radio signal found" (Threedog's radio is not encountered until a few moments later). Natural curiosity will make you tune it in, and Eden will drone on about America, while you walk around its corpse. It's a beautifully designed gameplay/narrative moment.

g35twinturbo said:
Does the DLC let you continue playing like BoS did?

No, it's self contained.

Hopefully the next DLC will allow players to carry on playing post game completion. (would be great if they follow the same DLC route as FO3, first DLC for FO3 was also self contained, second DLC allowed you explore the game world post completion, third DLC was a completely new area and the forth DLC was crap.)

Kurtofan

Speedymanic said:
No, it's self contained.

Hopefully the next DLC will allow players to carry on playing post game completion. (would be great if they follow the same DLC route as FO3, first DLC for FO3 was also self contained, second DLC allowed you explore the game world post completion, third DLC was a completely new area and the forth DLC was crap.)
It's impossible to continue after the ending, too many variants.

Vault 34 question

Are companions like Boone immune to radiation? Do I have to make him wear a radiation suit and give him Radaway? Personally I have a radiation defense of 52% with the space suit. I'm also a level 11. Am I ready? I'm worried about the glowing ones.

Kurtofan

Dead money I NEED YOUR HELP
Dean's quest.
with Dean how do I set up the two holographs so he can feel safe?
I set up one but he's still bitching.

Or just tell me
if he dies if I don't activate them.

subversus

ChoklitReign said:
Vault 34 question

Are companions like Boone immune to radiation? Do I have to make him wear a radiation suit and give him Radaway? Personally I have a radiation defense of 52% with the space suit. I'm also a level 11. Am I ready? I'm worried about the glowing ones.

your companions don't give a damn about radiation.

and that place is TOUGH. Be ready.

TheUsual

Gold Member
ChoklitReign said:
Vault 34 question

Your companions won't be affected at all, so you don't need to worry on that. Vault 34 wasn't too tough for me, but it won't hurt to be prepared. There's alot of Radaways and Rad-x in there as well.

subversus

ElFly said:
When you get out of vault 101, the first message you get is "Enclave Radio signal found" (Threedog's radio is not encountered until a few moments later). Natural curiosity will make you tune it in, and Eden will drone on about America, while you walk around its corpse. It's a beautifully designed gameplay/narrative moment.

yes, I agree. Listening to him was pretty eerie. Especially when you're exploring some dilapidated building.

Kurtofan said:
It's impossible to continue after the ending, too many variants.

Really? Bah, guess we'll have to make do with self contained DLC...which is no bad thing as long as they improve the quality of the DLC to Point Lookout levels.

subversus

Speedymanic said:
Really? Bah, guess we'll have to make do with self contained DLC...which is no bad thing as long as they improve the quality of the DLC to Point Lookout levels.

I wish Fallout 3 was like Point Lookout. I hope it's a sign of Bethesda's improvement. And I liked The Pitt too.

Speedymanic said:

The series has never been about post-game-ending content. Bethesda was just polite enough I suppose to let Broken Steel nullify the ending the player got. Fallout has always been about a definite beginning and end.

subversus said:
I wish Fallout 3 was like Point Lookout. I hope it's a sign of Bethesda's improvement. And I liked The Pitt too.

Point Lookout was incredible. I honestly spent as much time as I could there before deciding to go back to DC.

New Vegas feels more like a real place, ie open ramshackle communities, farms, etc the illusion that people actually live there. However Fallout 3, at least more often had more story in their "places" i mean going through a abandoned house and seeing a skeletal couple hugging in bed, and a syringe on the nightstand, or in minefield a blood trail from the door to a dead raider who was shot and died there.

Also it seemed to have a SHIT LOAD more encounters than new vegas. (WARNING SPOILERS FOR THE ENCOUNTERS/WILD WASTELAND IN THOSE LINKS). That made it replayable in a random sense, while new vegas works on more of the choices made can change certain things. I'd like a lot of both, just because im selfish :lol

Conversely Fallout 3 feels more like a theme park than a real location with everything to see and something to do literally just over the next hill. That is good/bad depending on what you're looking for.

One thing I can say though is that Fallout 3 felt much better than Oblivion, and if they make the strides in Skyrim that they did with Fallout 3, it should be awesome. I know Skyrim wont have VATS, but even the using what they learned from the quest design Skyrim could benefit better. Less is more.

Top Bottom