• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

kamspy

X26 said:
A lot of the main story in f3 took place in the DC ruins, which was my least liked area of the game. having to navigate the tunnels was a huge drag and aside from some neat areas the city ruins itself were pretty boring

Only early story. I don't remember having to go back there much except to get to Rivet City. But you could swim across the river and skip a bunch of the ruble traversal.

Man, getting through those tunnels the first time was hard for me because I didn't really keep any of the food I got for health, and stimpacks were really expensive. I had to learn to eat a little mole rat every once in a while. Good times.

Hopefully Fallout: New Vegas isn't a buggy, crashy mess like Fallout 3. Buying it anyway because I like open ended WRPGs and Mass Effect 2 was quite disappointing.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The best moments in F3 were seeing a factory in the far distance, it being late at night and having low health but wanting to check it out...damn, I think I am going to get this game after all. :lol

bunbun777

oh oh oh less than 53 hours. Cannot watch any more streams, hype meter is about to overload. Hearing people reminisce of finding buildings at night is too much! May drink heavily to induce passout time.

X26

Banned
One of my fondest, uh, moments, was finding that big grocery story soon after leaving the vault and exploring it while messing up some raiders, encapsulated a lot of what made the game great

chubigans said:
The best moments in F3 were seeing a factory in the far distance, it being late at night and having low health but wanting to check it out...damn, I think I am going to get this game after all. :lol
Yep, this is exactly why I bought this game. The inner explorer, just spyin something on the horizon. You know death is very possible. But shit, I got some explorin to do!

Salsa

The_Reckoning said:
Yep, this is exactly why I bought this game. The inner explorer, just spyin something on the horizon. You know death is very possible. But shit, I got some explorin to do!

I wish i was brave enough to do a permadeath run without quicksaving.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I am not really getting any sense from watching a couple of hours of the stream that this game's writing is really any better than Fallout 3's. Seems very average. Although i will say i dont think Fallout's gameplay systems lend themselves to well-presented stories.

DennisK4 said:
Why? I sincerly hope you are not intending to play in third person mode

I played FO3 in 3rd person. What I did was zoom in the camera about 90% of the way, basically a waist-up look, a lot like Dead Space. Gave things an entirely different feel and I was in love. Plan to do the same with this game.

GeoramA

rc213 said:
Any hands on with the PS3 version?
Nope, it's like Red Dead all over again. Totally ignored.

Biggest issue I'm worried about is the freezing. Still have nightmares about Point Lookout crashing my PS3 about 20 times.

Tried a total of 8 stores today, hoping either some place would have it on the shelf, or an employee wouldn't know much about release dates. Sigh. I might have an 'in' at a particular store if a certain dude is working. So, trying tomorrow!

~Kinggi~ said:
I am not really getting any sense from watching a couple of hours of the stream that this game's writing is really any better than Fallout 3's. Seems very average. Although i will say i dont think Fallout's gameplay systems lend themselves to well-presented stories.

Never finished Fallout 3's story and its one of my top games this generation. In fact, this and Demon's Souls are my favorite games this gen for the same reason. An RPG that is a survival/exploration driven game. It's the same reason I love Minecraft.

pyros

after watching the dailymotion video a few pages back, it seems the first person aiming has been improved from fo3, looks like i don't need something like the iron sight mod for nv, mouse and keyboard will do nicely

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
~Kinggi~ said:
I am not really getting any sense from watching a couple of hours of the stream that this game's writing is really any better than Fallout 3's. Seems very average.
i had the exact opposite impression.

I'm a little late to the morality discussion, but I have a general approach to CRPG morality:

1st play through is the jim-jam play through, where I make moral decisions based on my own sense of morality. This one is generally the most interesting because I'm a vindictive bastard, so my feelings towards specific characters come into play. Generally the strength of the game design is tested the most by this approach since it requires that the game understand shades of grey when determining how NPCs behave towards you.

2nd play through is the angelic jim-jam one, where I imagine my character as a paragon of virtue and always go for the good guy approach. This one is usually not very interesting, but it does satisfy my obsessive completionist desires.

3rd is evil jim-jam, where everybody dies and is eaten, not necessarily in that order. This one is usually the most fun but makes me feel guilty if I play it in front of other people.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cant play RPGs as 'me'. I always create these characters, almost as if I'm writing a character for a story, that has thier own unique sense of morality. I play as 'them' as if I were playing a part in the telling of the story.

Also, 70% of my characters are female, and that encompasses all of my 'serious' plays. I'm not sure what that means.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gravijah said:
100% female if i have a choice to create a character. 100%.

Male Jerk Shepard is too good to pass up.

kai3345

Banned
EatChildren said:
I cant play RPGs as 'me'. I always create these characters, almost as if I'm writing a character for a story, that has thier own unique sense of morality. I play as 'them' as if I were playing a part in the telling of the story.

This is exactly what I did on all of my subsequent runs of F3. One run1 I just made whatever decision I felt like making.

On all other playthroughs I made a specific character. Like on run2 I made my character an alcoholic scientist. I made it so I had an imaginary quota of having to drink at least 2 alcoholic beverages each in-game day. If I wanted to get ahead of the game and not have to worry about drinks for a few days I could let them stack up.

If I was under alcohol addiction (Which I was just saying I was drunk) I would make assholish decisions, but if sober, I would try to be as nice as possible.

Since I was a man of science I tended to avoid confrontation, but when I had to, I used energy weapons.

Acting in character really made the game so much more fun and I hope to do the same in NV

EatChildren

Gravijah said:
male shep=playing the game wrong

Which is why my serious playthrough is female ;).

MiDNiGHTS said:
The only issue I have with female characters is when the game has romantic involvements and no girl-girl.
I feel your pain, because nearly every game with male MCs lacks man-man relationships as an option.

Thankfully, Dragon Age is there to rectify these wrongs.

For the record, I always play as goody two shoes females if I'm given such options. True to life.

Oh it goes without saying that all virtual jim-jams have boobs.

Fun story, my main is a female human holy priest in wow. I used to raid with a bunch of mates who introduced me to the game in the first place. After years of being in the same guild we all left to join another so that we could get some 25 man raiding done. Because I used to play baked as a clam and so never talked on vent, most of the new guild had come to the conclusion that I was my mate's girlfriend until he told them otherwise. Awkward.

When I was relating this to a friend from the old guild who had never met me he expressed some shock as well since it had always been his assumption too. We'd only played together for about a year so it wasn't that odd, but it was strange when the same thing happened with someone else I had played with on and off for 3 years. Apparently I'd picked the race, class and spec most statistically likely to be played by women for my main.

The moral of this story is that gender-bending with your virtual self can become complicated in multiplayer games played by sexually repressed poop-sockers.

Gravijah

jim-jam bongs said:

Fun story, my main is a female human holy priest in wow. I used to raid with a bunch of mates who introduced me to the game in the first place. After years of being in the same guild we all left to join another so that we could get some 25 man raiding done. Because I used to play baked as a clam and so never talked on vent, most of the new guild had come to the conclusion that I was my mate's girlfriend until he told them otherwise. Awkward.

When I was relating this to a friend from the old guild who had never met me he expressed some shock as well since it had always been his assumption too. We'd only played together for about a year so it wasn't that odd, but it was strange when the same thing happened with someone else I had played with on and off for 3 years. Apparently I'd picked the race, class and spec most statistically likely to be played by women for my main.

The moral of this story is that gender-bending with your virtual self can become complicated in multiplayer games played by sexually repressed poop-sockers.

Most people in WoW know me by my in game persona, Mhia. :lol A good percentage know I'm male but still, that's what I go by.

Celsior

jim-jam bongs said:

One of my co-guild leaders played a female human priest, he was a man but I think the non raiding portion of are guild thought he was a woman.:lol The other co-guild leader was a female though, she ended up posting a picture for me and the other guild leader because she got tired of us calling her ugly. She sent him and me a picture for proof of her holding a card with her name, she was smoking hot, so yeah hot girls play wow.

iammeiam said:
Tranquility Lane was pretty neat, though. It plus the giant robot added a few bright spots to the admittedly blah main story.

Although I think you'd actually have to design the main quest to have a ton of slack in it somewhere--if everything were super-urgent and compelling, the player would miss half the content just running around and doing the main story.

Tranquility Lane scared the living shit out of me. They nailed the atmosphere perfectly and I'm sure as hell don't wanna replay that sort of thing, like, ever

let's not even talk when I accidentally switched to third person view and saw myself with that mask

kai3345

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
Tranquility Lane scared the living shit out of me. They nailed the atmosphere perfectly and I'm sure as hell don't wanna replay that sort of thing, like, ever

let's not even talk when I accidentally switched to third person view and saw myself with that mask
Tranquility Lane was probably one of my favorite quests in the game, next to Superhuman Gambit

Wallach

disappeared said:
Speaking of, here's a question for you guys, what camera do you normally use?

Mostly first person. Sometime I switch it to third person when just wandering around to get a bit wider FOV or to admire my armor. Enclave Hellfire armor is the shit.

Pooya

disappeared said:
1st person of course, the horrible animations make 3rd person view unusable :| .
I'm playing DLCs of FO3 these days, had them for a while but didn't have time to play them, now it's a good time.

dwebo

Gravijah said:
1st person, only use 3rd person when I wanna check out my gear.
Pretty much this, though when I'd have to run a long distance I'd often just whirl the mousewheel like a spaz to relieve some boredom. Speaking of mousewheels, how do the console versions handle the view? There just one button that cycles through a few presets?

Salsa

Gravijah said:
100% female if i have a choice to create a character. 100%.

I played as a female once but i wasnt really feeling it. Probably because of love choices/dialog that i couldnt relate to.

I tend to play as myself. Not a good guy or a bad guy, just what id really do if i were in that situation. Mostly ends up being a good guy but with no mercy. You mess with me or any of my pals and youre dead buddy, fuck the mercy/let him walk away option.

Like in Mass Effect 2 i was mainly going with the Paragon side of things, but if i had to make a warning shot or something to get some info, i wouldnt hesitate about it.

And i dont really care about the "gaming" consequences (as in, different perks/leveling up slower/faster). There shouldnt be any in the first place, it breaks the whole idea of making a choice. I love New Vegas for approaching this with the reputation system. They already said that Karma doesnt really matter anymore for benefits/consequences, instead the choices you make affect the way people look at you. This is the right way of making a "choice system" in a videogame.

Also all of my created characters have moustaches.

kai3345

Banned
miladesn said:
1st person of course, the horrible animations make 3rd person view unusable :| .
I'm playing DLCs of FO3 these days, had them for a while but didn't have time to play them, now it's a good time.
Play OpAnch for the gear only, skip Pitt and Zeta. Enjoy Broken Steel and Point Lookout.

dwebo said:
Pretty much this, though when I'd have to run a long distance I'd often just whirl the mousewheel like a spaz to relieve some boredom. Speaking of mousewheels, how do the console versions handle the view? There just one button that cycles through a few presets?
Hold down left bumper and use right stick

Gravijah

dwebo said:

You can zoom in and out by holding a button down, IIRC.

disappeared said:

Depends on the situation. For interiors, you can only really use FP in Fallout 3. It's fun to switch to the OTS camera outside to get a sense of scale, and to marvel at whatever neat crap your character is lugging around.

Overall, I stick to FP. I find it much more immersible; even after all the hours I've clocked in Fallout, I still jump the odd time when a ghoul busts into my screen.

edit: Does anyone know if the console version (PS3) will feature an auto-run button this time?

Top Bottom