• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Yeah I was planning on removing AWOP from the recommended list in the mods thread. While it's nice to have the extra content there, all of the extra content basically turns the game into Doom, where every area is just back-pedalling and circle strafing your way through hundreds of enemies. I stopped using it a while ago.

edgefusion

So, I uh... killed Fantastic and Ignacio, is it still possible to re-power Helios One? I can't remember if it told me I failed the quest or not. :(

Grayman

edgefusion said:
So, I uh... killed Fantastic and Ignacio, is it still possible to re-power Helios One? I can't remember if it told me I failed the quest or not. :(
They both give the rewards but I think you can find the passwords for the outdoor panels around the plant and fire up the system.

InertiaXr

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah I was planning on removing AWOP from the recommended list in the mods thread. While it's nice to have the extra content there, all of the extra content basically turns the game into Doom, where every area is just back-pedalling and circle strafing your way through hundreds of enemies. I stopped using it a while ago.

Oh wow, it adds THAT many extra enemies? I always enjoyed in Fallout the small number of people your fighting at any given time, the combat in 3 and what I've played of New Vegas is not nearly good enough to warrant that many enemies in quick succession.

Hah, I'm exaggerating a little. The point is that it's enough enemies that you're forced to fight Doom style. Sneaking is useless because they're too bunched up, the areas are pretty tight so booby traps usually kill you too, that kind of thing.

duckroll

Lakitu said:
Have you been to the Deathclaw Premonitory yet? Shit's crazy.

Lacking motivation to do non-quest related stuff, since I can't gain any more XP. Might as well save those for post-HH, if I don't hit 40 in HH itself. Would also help while waiting for Old World Blues!

Lakitu

st5fu
duckroll said:
Lacking motivation to do non-quest related stuff, since I can't gain any more XP. Might as well save those for post-HH, if I don't hit 40 in HH itself. Would also help while waiting for Old World Blues!

Yeah, you're right there. Best time to go is when you want to gain XP.

I guess we just have to wait for Honest Hearts.

I hope they don't remove all our items ala Dead Money... I enjoyed the challenge in Dead Money but I want to rock HH with my Assassin Suit and my Gobi.

Started up Dead Money last night, I'm actually really enjoying it. The feeling of desperation I get from having to manage my entire inventory is something I've been missing.

duckroll

Lord_Nergal said:
Started up Dead Money last night, I'm actually really enjoying it. The feeling of desperation I get from having to manage my entire inventory is something I've been missing.

Yeah, Dead Money has a lot of good points which just happen to be design choices some players dislike unfortunately. It's pretty well designed, but it's not for everyone. I really enjoyed it too. The additional layer of a self-contained economy in the scenario with the vending machines is another design choice I liked too.

BeeDog

I'm starting to understand dakurol's growing insanity; what's the fucking hold-up with the next DLC's? Are they assessing the situation now that Obsidian's slowly dying :)'<) or what? Bethesda seemingly doesn't mind announcing other uninteresting shit lately, such as Rage-related crap.

Bethesda has gone on record as saying that the layoffs at Obsidian do not affect their DLC plans.

Meaning, they have a really shitty plan about releasing anything about the DLC.

brotkasten said:
How's the melee combat in this game?
I play only in hardcore mode.

My first playthrough was melee guy.
The main thing you get is an extra option during VATS to do a high damage attack.
I eventually got to become one hit kill melee guy.

My second playthrough was unarmed guy.
I had more fun with this one.
The downside of unarmed is that they can block it if you keep doing the same attack.
The upside is that your attacks eventually go through any defense they have.
Unique to unarmed is also a set of moves you can pull off outside of VATS based on what your movement is doing at the time (forward, backward)... these moves can be game-breakingly powerful if you can pull them off right.
Oh yeah, and I eventually got powerful enough to kill with one punch (shooooo-ryu-ken!).

Overall, I feel that I got a better experience with unarmed because it was harder and I had to think about where my position was more and I had more combat options to choose from.

duckroll

Interesting. Unarmed sounds like it could be pretty fun to play. My main character (still haven't made much progress with my other new game characters) is a melee guy, and I enjoyed it outside of it being kinda unbalanced towards the end.

Playing melee actually helped me enjoy Dead Money more, because I wasn't accustomed to using guns at first, but had to anyway. Later I eventually used Cosmic Knives and their upgraded forms from crafting, which was pretty different from just bashing enemies with my Oh Baby all the time, both in terms of speed, and actual presentation.

Oh, and it was fun using Nephi's golf driver during the middle parts of the game too.

I started my first playthrough as a melee character in hardcore mode and it's fun, even though it's easy to die in the open field against the powder gang. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight, right? Well, it's an axe, but that doesn't make it better. Any tips or should I put at least some points into guns?

hemtae

brotkasten said:
I started my first playthrough as a melee character in hardcore mode and it's fun, even though it's easy to die in the open field against the powder gang. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight, right? Well, it's an axe, but that doesn't make it better. Any tips or should I put at least some points into guns?

The varmint rifle doesn't require any points into guns so that's what I use

duckroll

brotkasten said:

You don't really need to put points into guns to use them. You might completely suck with a gun, but it still kinda works. Just be more cautious, and try to push through the early levels faster so you can put points into being even better at melee. Getting better armor helps too, since it allows you to survive getting shot at while you run up and fuck them up. Also consider using stealth, and striking enemies while hidden to get the early advantage.

brotkasten said:

If you want to avoid guns all together you should find some throwing weapons (spear, knife, hatchet), they use melee points.

Emitan

Beat this game last week. Loved every second of it.

That NCR dude who talks to you at the end is a moron. "If our positions were switched I'd see you hang." Oh, really Mr. NCR? Yes-Man, show him the exit to the dam. The fast one. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

On the close-combat topic, I find that going SPE and focusing on melee/unarmed and explosives is great for the early levels. You can get Pete's dynamite then loot all the sticks from the Powder Gangers in Goodsprings and Primm, should keep you well stocked and keep you from having to cop too much abuse while you're closing the distance.

If you're on PC, install Project Nevada and you get a grenade hot-key and a sprint key which makes getting in someone's face a lot easier.

duckroll said:
Also consider using stealth, and striking enemies while hidden to get the early advantage.

Stealth + melee/unarmed is great. I was sneak/critting guys with a combat knife like nobody's business. The best part is that it's completely silent and doesn't alert any other NPCs if your target doesn't get to fire off a shot, so it compliments a stealth playthrough very well. Also, there's the Ninja perk later on which grants ridiculous bonuses to sneak attacks with melee or unarmed. I cleared the entire Bison Hotel in Primm as quiet as a mouse.

Emitan

jim-jam bongs said:
If you're on PC, install Project Nevada and you get a grenade hot-key and a sprint key which makes getting in someone's face a lot easier.
I never knew I wanted that until now. It makes so much sense! Now me and Power Fist girl can punch everyone in the face even faster!

I just found an old save with a character I made months ago. He's an 80-year-old man in a business suit and top hat who doesn't fight. Instead, I hired Veronica and she just Falcon-punches fools left and right while I collect the XP!

Billychu said:
I never knew I wanted that until now. It makes so much sense! Now me and Power Fist girl can punch everyone in the face even faster!

Oh man, it's really amazing to have. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Bethesda were smart they'd make sure that sprint and quick-grenades are there in the next Fallout.

Emitan

jim-jam bongs said:
Oh man, it's really amazing to have. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Bethesda were smart they'd make sure that sprint and quick-grenades are there in the next Fallout.
If they were smart they'd have Obsidian make it on the new iD engine.

Billychu said:
If they were smart they'd have Obsidian make it on the new iD engine.

homer-drool-702026.gif

jim-jam bongs said:
Considering they're putting a sprint button into Skyrim, I can definitely see them adding it in Fallout 4.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
I'm having a very hard time deciding on what I want to do in this game. The choices are simply mind boggling, and I wish I could explore every one of them... What is the most rewarding ending/main quest line in your opinion? I'm considering going independent vegas, but afraid I might miss some cool quests.

Emitan

ProudClod said:
I'm having a very hard time deciding on what I want to do in this game. The choices are simply mind boggling, and I wish I could explore every one of them... What is the most rewarding ending/main quest line in your opinion? I'm considering going independent vegas, but afraid I might miss some cool quests.
Independent is the only way I've beaten it so far and it was pretty fun. You might as well go for it because the game doesn't seem terribly long if you just go to New Vegas straight away and skip a few hours of story.

TheUsual

Gold Member
ProudClod said:
Try something completely out of the ordinary. My first playthrough I went independent, but on the second playthrough I went with The Legion. Now that was fun to do.

EDIT
Another good tip. Make a save or two where you can start at again for when you want to explore another major faction, especially if you put alot of time into the game before you go into The Strip.

Aaron

jim-jam bongs said:
I'm surprised that they didn't. They were relatively early mods to F3. Thankfully, they came out quick for New Vegas. I've never played the game without sprint.

FrankT

duckroll said:
I hit lvl35. I'm pretty sure I'm out of interesting things to do with this save now. Need Honest Hearts asap. :(

Been sitting this way with nearly 100 hours of play since late December. Well past due at this point.

Wallach

I haven't posted in this thread in a long time and I still have the most posts. :(

Did I miss an announcement of the second DLC or are we still waiting?

duckroll

Wallach said:
I haven't posted in this thread in a long time and I still have the most posts. :(

Did I miss an announcement of the second DLC or are we still waiting?

We're still waiting, but we already know the title of the DLC, the premise, the achievements, the XBL banner, and a screenshot from the trailer. All of this has leaked, still no announcement.

Wallach

duckroll said:
We're still waiting, but we already know the title of the DLC, the premise, the achievements, the XBL banner, and a screenshot from the trailer. All of this has leaked, still no announcement.

Jeeeeeeez. Come on already! MOAR FALLOUT.

And more shotguns.

Audioboxer

So for my first playthrough should I just stick with small guns like Fallout 3, or maybe try melee? Lots of you guys seem to swear by melee :D

I'd rather just have fun in my first playthrough though, not bothered about challenge levels.

So for my first playthrough should I just stick with small guns like Fallout 3, or maybe try melee? Lots of you guys seem to swear by melee :D

I'd rather just have fun in my first playthrough though, not bothered about challenge levels.
Melee's crazy powerful in this game, my Hardcore playthrough was so easy because of it. My first character, non-hardcore, specialized in Energy Weapons like I did in Fallout 3, and got his ass kicked repeatedly.

Early game with guns is pretty challenging, IMO. Your skills/guns aren't high enough quality for the early stuff, so you have to be fairly smart about how you play. On my most recent playthrough I focused on guns as an NCR lackey, and killing Vulpes in Nipton was a tough thing to do.

Gonna start my next playthrough as Melee/Unarmed, I hear good things about that route.

Effect

Well couldn't pass up getting the game used for $17. Ended up with the PS3 version as I don't have enough games for it and that's been bothering me. I found myself in gamestop and though I have issues with OE and I wanted to wait for a GOTY version I'm glad I got it now and didn't wait. Decent game but I do have complaints.

The towns pale in comparison to Fallout 3 I'm finding. That's been a big disappointment so far when I look back at areas like Megaton, etc. It reminds me the difference between areas in KOTOR 1 vs KOTOR 2 which were much smaller and limited. The NCR vs Legion storyline is disappointing overall. I guess I was expecting more. It's talked up so much in the game but when it comes right down to it it's tiny fights between three or so people on both sides. Most of the legions I've come across have melees and these so awesome rangers can't take these guys out quicker? Perhaps in the end it will be something on the level the final assault on the Enclave was in Fallout 3 pre-Broken Steel. If the Hover Dam doesn't impress when I get to it I'm going to be really annoyed if not a little pissed.

I guess Nelson disappointed me some. I ended up in the town with Boone. Perhaps I should have waited and picked the assault option. Then again the npcs might have just gotten in my way.

The game is fun to play overall (not counting bugs. Only froze on me once.) Using VATS mainly as it was the best way to conserve ammo. I think I have enough energy cells, etc to use my Laser Rifle. Though that I was able to get it somewhat earlier then I thought bothers me a bit. It was a while before you even came across weapons like that in FO3 and then it was mainly off of either Enclave or BoS enemies. Where I got them from in New Vegas doesn't make much sense.

I finished Novac up but only one person seemed to react when it came to finishing Boone's mission correctly. I hope that's a bug. Just wanted more interaction in regards to what happen. Even if people repeat the same thing over again.

All in all I'd still rank Fallout 3 above it overall. Perhaps I need to explore a bit more and when I finally make it to New Vegas things might change but at the moment I found the DC area to be more interesting to explore. It's not a bad game in the end. Just not as good as Fallout 3 and I'm just comparing the original games not FO3 DLC (which I have little of anyway).

Tacitus_

You really shouldn't judge the games content before reaching the Strip or seeing the main encampments of the Legion and the NCR.

Top Bottom