• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

_Isaac

I've been playing for 15 hours and I haven't really had any bugs. The only one I experienced was walking through the desert and then somebody talking to me all of a sudden. I mean there was nobody around. This person talked to me thanked me for doing something (Who knows what) and took off running.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So I decided to have a little fun. Since I'm lovable by all fractions I can go anywhere I please. It was fun seeing them (NCR and Legion) raid each other and just standing around watching it all happen. I do things enough to please them without in turn causing the opposite group to get pissed off. A double agent if you will.

Well. In this incident. After Forlorn Hope was overrun by NCR troopers and practically all of the Legion having been killed except for the Dead Sea and his bodyguards in one of the barracks, I wanted to see if I do something to entertain myself. For one, I'm tired of all these soldiers running around and slowing down the PS3 and in turn giving me no less than 50 freezes in the last couple days of playing. Yeah. They were the root cause of it.

After killing their enemies, the NCR troopers thought it would be a great idea to stand around a fire and do some kind of circle jerk. There were at least a dozen of them by the fire. I decided to place some C4 explosives around them and see them fly.
Thing is at first if you do it in third person view they will immediately catch you and something bad will happen. I had to change to first person and basically drop the C4s near their feet in a circular pattern. I used up every single one I had for the first couple of times. It ended freezing my game because the PS3 is a POS and can't handle that big of an explosion. Anyway, the last attempt, I've only used two C4s. And to better get a view of things, I ran up a hill close by and this is where the GIF enters. With a press of a button on the detonator, boom! There goes flying NCR soldiers. :)

ila53A.gif

And the whole beauty of it is that I didn't receive any NCR infamy so I'm still very liked by them. :)

OnlyWonderBoy said:
I was reading the Fallout Wiki and found it funny how it was talking about the final boss being relatively tough to kill. Oh, Baby! + 100 Melee + Super Slam = 20 second fight.

Anti Material with the proper ammo can one or two shot the Legate.

duckroll

Update: The Fallout: New Vegas PS3 patch was supposed to go out at midnight tonight in SCEA countries. Until PSN comes back, we won't know exactly when it will be live. PC users will still get the patch today, and we expect 360 to be live by the end of the week.

Okay, so every platform is getting the patch this week. COME ON, ANNOUNCE HONEST HEARTS ALREADY! AFGHAHGFAHDA!

This game works AWESOME with the 3d vision. Got my Asus 3D screen laptop (460M graphics) and this runs great at 1920x1080, 3D vision enabled. Framerate is smooth and the 3D effect is awesome in this game.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Probably won't happen but I'm going to cross my fingers that Graham is going to be a companion that can be carried over to the rest to the game.

They had alot of crazy ideas for The Burned/Hanged Man in Van Buren, looking forward to seeing how many get realized. He was suppose to be the ultimate evil party member.

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
I'm probably just going to GOTY Edition wait on the DLC and just get a used copy. It'll probably end up being cheaper in the end, unless they go on sale at some point. Also I heard Dead Money wasn't all that great.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
OnlyWonderBoy said:
I'm probably just going to GOTY Edition wait on the DLC and just get a used copy. It'll probably end up being cheaper in the end, unless they go on sale at some point. Also I heard Dead Money wasn't all that great.
I thought the story and characters were a pretty big step up from what bethesda has done with Fallout DLC but yeah, the gameplay was interesting but quite irritating at the same time.

hemtae

So I think this mod just added weight to stimpaks and other chems which explains why I'm about 200 pounds over encumbered and in the ass end of nowhere

EDIT: I'm an idiot lol

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
web01 said:
Seems like they are buffing almost every regular weapon in the game.
Is that really necessary?
Yeah, the only real negative is the AP costs of lever action rifles being increased. I remember thinking it was weird how little AP the Cowboy Repeater used.

Lakitu said:
Where are the patch notes? Anybody?
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1181744-balance-changes-in-the-new-fnv-patch/
Hi everyone,

The promised patch for Fallout: New Vegas is almost here! PC users will get it on Monday and console folk will receive it soon (we’re still waiting to hear the exact date).

As I mentioned in my previous post, this patch contains optimizations and stability improvements as well as balance changes.

Here’s a rundown of the balance tweaks we’ve implemented for this update:

Guns:

Automatic Guns - SMGs, the Assault Carbine, and the LMG are more accurate across the board. They're also more durable. 12.7mm SMG mag capacity increased to 21.
Shotguns - Buckshot has received a x1.2 inherent DAM mod. This slightly incentivizes using buckshot over slugs when enemy armor is not an issue. Magnum buckshot has a x1.3 DAM mod and a small amount of DT bypass. Spread for many shotguns has been lowered.
Hunting Rifle, Anti-Materiel Rifle - Hunting Rifle and AMR now have the lowest spread of all rifles. Hunting Rifle RoF increased, Crit Chance set to x2. Anti-Materiel Rifle's Crit DAM has been raised from 80 to 110 to make it more viable when compared to the Gobi.
Sniper Rifle, Gobi Campaign Scout Rifle - Sniper Rifle and Gobi now have a higher RoF and lower AP cost. Both have x2 Crit Chance. Gobi has increased DAM and much higher Crit DAM over the Sniper Rifle.
That Gun - That Gun is now a slow-firing hand cannon that does huge DAM firing 5.56mm out of a short barrel.
Hunting Revolver – Rate of Fire increased.
Service Rifle - DAM slightly lowered, firing animation changed to the one used by Marksman Carbine, RoF dramatically increased. Spread decreased.
Silenced .22 Pistol, SMG - Crit DAM and Crit Chance significantly increased.
5mm Ammo - Base ammo has 10 points of DT bypass. AP variants have 25 points of DT bypass. This affects the Assault Carbine, Minigun, and CZ57 Avenger.
.308 JSP - DAM mult reduced from x1.5 to x1.3. x2 CND degradation effect added.
Lever-Action Rifles - Cowboy Repeater, Trail Carbine, Brush Gun - RoF has been slightly reduced, AP costs have been significantly increased, and spread has been slightly increased. Cowboy Repeater Custom Action RoF increase has been reduced. La Longue Carabine spread has been significantly lowered.

Explosives:

Dynamite - Larger explosion radius.
Frag and Plasma Grenades – DAM increased.
25mm Grenades - Slightly increased DAM on the explosion.
40mm Grenades - Significantly higher DAM on the explosion.
Missile Launcher / Fat Man - Now have much better zoom FoV and good accuracy. Missile and Fat Man projectiles (not the explosion) have a large base DAM. Both are extremely effective on direct hits, but still potent even if a direct hit is not scored. N.B.: Listed DAM on weapons assumes a direct hit!

Energy Weapons:

Gatling Laser - Base DAM is higher. Against heavily armored targets, this is still a poor weapon. Against lightly armored targets, especially with Over Charge or Max Charge ECPs + Focus Optics + Laser Commander, it has extraordinary DPS.
Tesla Cannon, Tesla-Beaton Prototype - These now consume far less ammo per shot and can be fired several times before a reload. DAM is beefy with an additional 2 second DoT.
Pew-Pew - Lower ammo capacity, consumes far fewer ECs per shot. Still a two-shot weapon.

Melee and Unarmed:

Ripper, Chainsaw, Thermic Lance - DAM lowered, all ignore DR/DT.
Bladed Gauntlet, Mantis Gauntlet - Ignore DR/DT flags removed (were not supposed to be marked as such). Mantis Gauntlet animation/sound fixed.

Perks:

Splash Damage – Functions properly.
The Professional - 10mm Pistol, SMG added to perk list.

Thanks,

Jason Bergman
Senior Producer, FNV

Update: The Fallout: New Vegas PS3 patch was supposed to go out at midnight tonight in SCEA countries. Until PSN comes back, we won't know exactly when it will be live. PC users will still get the patch today, and we expect 360 to be live by the end of the week.

duckroll said:
Holy crap, this has gone from embarrassing to plain sad. The PS3 patch apparently accidentally leaks the Honest Hearts trophy list. ROFL.

Warning, potential spoilers for Honest Hearts: http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25169

JUST ANNOUNCE IT ALREADY BETHESDA!
lol

duckroll

I have a feeling Honest Hearts is coming very, very soon. Either this Friday, or next week. It's very clear that it has been completed for a long time now. For whatever reason Bethesda does not want to announce it or release any sort of media. So far we've had:

- Title leaked via Trademark registration
- Snowglobe leaked in Dead Money files
- Video thumbnails and Youtube trailer link leaked before it is public
- Banner leaked on XBL
- Trophies list leaked due to NV patch

Everything leaking left and right, and not a single announcement for it. It's really sad. What are they trying to do?

MoxManiac

More bug fixes for New Vegas? Might have the drive to get back into the game now (last time I played it freezed 3 times in the span of 2 hours)

Lakitu

st5fu
MrTroubleMaker said:

Thanks!

Hunting Rifle, Anti-Materiel Rifle - Hunting Rifle and AMR now have the lowest spread of all rifles. Hunting Rifle RoF increased, Crit Chance set to x2. Anti-Materiel Rifle's Crit DAM has been raised from 80 to 110 to make it more viable when compared to the Gobi.

Sniper Rifle, Gobi Campaign Scout Rifle - Sniper Rifle and Gobi now have a higher RoF and lower AP cost. Both have x2 Crit Chance. Gobi has increased DAM and much higher Crit DAM over the Sniper Rifle.

Holy shit. Give it to me now!

-BLITZ-

What ? but where is the bug fix of Cassidy two main important quest. I can't complete the game or enjoy walking normally in Freeside or buy something from Silver Rush, cuz they will start to pop-off immediately I enter in that zone.
Half of wikia page is full written only because of this bugs.

Only weapons, melee and ammo update ? Are we or I asking too much from them :(

thefil

Does anyone else find the combat in this game boring? Maybe it's my fault for specializing in guns, but it seems like the only way to be effective is to shoot for the head. Doesn't matter what the enemy is, and VATS is just a way to get free headshots.

Did I ruin my own fun here, or is the combat really just back-pedalling and shooting while poor pathfinding enemies get stuck on geometry?

Massa

thefil said:
Does anyone else find the combat in this game boring? Maybe it's my fault for specializing in guns, but it seems like the only way to be effective is to shoot for the head. Doesn't matter what the enemy is, and VATS is just a way to get free headshots.

Did I ruin my own fun here, or is the combat really just back-pedalling and shooting while poor pathfinding enemies get stuck on geometry?

That's definitely not the case for every enemy in the game. Shooting the legs (or wings for those damn Cazadores) is fundamental for some of the enemies you'll come across.

thefil said:

What difficulty level are you playing on and/or hardcore?

Because melee weapons are VERY powerful with perks like Super Slam which only requires level 8. Its hilarious knocking giant scorpions etc flying backwards. On hardcore (heal over time vs instant), I cannot imagine surviving some close range encounters without it, some higher level enemies (and packs in particular) will murder you without something to take them out of the fight while you wait for heal cooldown.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
PSN being down is screwing up my game.

The game isn't registering any DLC so my save with Dead Money equipment is botched. All my weapons and stuff from it isn't showing up in my main game. And my saves in Sierra Madre boots me out to Goodsprings.

This PSN thing is getting out of hand.

duckroll

Kadey said:

The game isn't registering any DLC so my save with Dead Money equipment is botched. All my weapons and stuff from it isn't showing up in my main game. And my saves in Sierra Madre boots me out to Goodsprings.

The "good" news is that you now have Honest Hearts trophies in your trophy list!

:(

Kadey said:

This worries me about all my games relying on DLC - will there come a time when I cannot play my ME2 or DAO saves? Do I really own my games, or am I just renting.

Reading through those patch notes, why doesn't say what bugs they fixed?

I really want to buy this, but not until I hear that it's no longer a complete mess.

cleveridea said:
This worries me about all my games relying on DLC - will there come a time when I cannot play my ME2 or DAO saves? Do I really own my games, or am I just renting.

You own a license to play the game. When you buy a game, you aren't actually buying the game. You're buying a license to play the game.

Apparantly the license holder can revoke the license at any time. Although it's not likely that will happen, they still have the right to do that.

The new patch doesnt seem to address the two quests that are still bugged for me. I would like to complete them, Obsidian.

Oh, and release Honest Hearts please.

Yeah I still can't get Arcade Gannon back. When I started Dead Money him and Rex went back to freeside but I can't get him back. When I talk to him it acts like he's already with me or sometimes he'll act like my group is full, even if I have no one with me. I got Rex back like it was no big deal.

Sucks because I wanted to do his side quest :(

Apparently duckroll is as desperate for more New Vegas as I am :p

I just did something unprecedented and got 100% of the achievements for the vanilla game and Dead Money so as might expect I'm pretty much done with the content so far.

Ickman3400 said:
Yeah I still can't get Arcade Gannon back. When I started Dead Money him and Rex went back to freeside but I can't get him back. When I talk to him it acts like he's already with me or sometimes he'll act like my group is full, even if I have no one with me. I got Rex back like it was no big deal.

It is a pretty good quest too. Bummer.

hemtae

Ickman3400 said:

That happened with me one time dismiss Rex then try again

Top Bottom