• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Audioboxer

Blue Ninja said:
Melee's crazy powerful in this game, my Hardcore playthrough was so easy because of it. My first character, non-hardcore, specialized in Energy Weapons like I did in Fallout 3, and got his ass kicked repeatedly.

Lord_Nergal said:
Early game with guns is pretty challenging, IMO. Your skills/guns aren't high enough quality for the early stuff, so you have to be fairly smart about how you play. On my most recent playthrough I focused on guns as an NCR lackey, and killing Vulpes in Nipton was a tough thing to do.

Gonna start my next playthrough as Melee/Unarmed, I hear good things about that route.

Think I shall try melee then! Hope there is a good variety of melee weapons though. My game should arrive tomorrow morning.

Effect

Tacitus_ said:
You really shouldn't judge the games content before reaching the Strip or seeing the main encampments of the Legion and the NCR.

Figured this might be the case. Wish it wasn't though. Should reach there tonight when I play again.

I've only encountered two companions so far. Boone and Veronica. Cheated a little and read up on her so picked her up and figure I'd make a little side trip before heading on to the Strip.

Has the save glitches and crashes been fixed yet for the latest patch? I asked earlier on this page a couple days back, but the poster that answered didn't clarify so I'm still nervous about it all.

hank_tree

Gamer @ Heart said:
Has the save glitches and crashes been fixed yet for the latest patch? I asked earlier on this page a couple days back, but the poster that answered didn't clarify so I'm still nervous about it all.

Yeah I booted it up on the 360 earlier and there was a new patch and now everything is running fine. No DLC errors and random crashes .The game seems to run a lot smoother aswell.

Lord_Nergal said:
Early game with guns is pretty challenging, IMO. Your skills/guns aren't high enough quality for the early stuff, so you have to be fairly smart about how you play. On my most recent playthrough I focused on guns as an NCR lackey, and killing Vulpes in Nipton was a tough thing to do.

Gonna start my next playthrough as Melee/Unarmed, I hear good things about that route.

I vaguely remember raiding Vulpes' party on my first play through. I somehow had a stock of about five mines that I placed near the empty houses they walk by. I crippled most of them (their legs) and just went to town shooting them.

edgefusion

Gamer @ Heart said:

I'm on the PS3 and it still crashes like a bitch even on the latest patch. Not ran into any glitches, but then I was one of the lucky few who never did anyway. Apart from crashing. All the time.

I totally fucked up the game for myself.

Played side quests and shit until I was level 24-26. Didn't even enter the strip until I was around that level.

Now I'm hard pressed to finish the game because I've played so much outside the main quest and I'm just about to reach the level cap.

hemtae

disappeared said:
I vaguely remember raiding Vulpes' party on my first play through. I somehow had a stock of about five mines that I placed near the empty houses they walk by. I crippled most of them (their legs) and just went to town shooting them.

Stealth Boy + two frag grenades

The real hard fight for me was when they send the assassins after you. On my first playthrough a nearby caravan bailed me out and the on another I was able to lure them into the mojave outpost where they died in a hail of gunfire

Hey guys,

I just got the game. Is intelligence still the most important trait (b/c of extra skill points at level up) - is charisma essentially as useless as it was in fallout 3 (since you can mostly make it up with high speech, and companions were mostly useless)?

I played Fallout 3 as a shotgun toting thief (and finished the game as ubergod since the game makes you max out all stats anyway) - omar style. I need a new character for vegas.

I am tempted either by a no-kill play, though I am somewhat afraid it wouldn't be super fun - though it's definitely a challenge.

Other options: martial arts expert (i played fallout 2 like that and it was a blast. It was fun kicking the last boss in the face until he died). Probably would be a good guy, then.

Similar option: big monstrous dude (thinking 10 Strength, 10 constitution) using melee weapons. If it was anything like Fallout 2, 1 intelligence (for new dialogue options). and maybe for once, though I have a hard time doing it, be evil on top of it.'

Any suggestions / warnings ? (i'd look these things up but I am trying to spoil myself as little as possible)

InertiaXr

I recently got this and added in a few of the most popular mods, and am on my way. I have played FO3 so I have a inkling of what it will be like, but is there anything special I should do since I'm playing on hard/hardcore?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
harriet the spy said:
Hey guys,

I just got the game. Is intelligence still the most important trait (b/c of extra skill points at level up) - is charisma essentially as useless as it was in fallout 3 (since you can mostly make it up with high speech, and companions were mostly useless)?
Intelligence isnt as godly as it was in Fallout 3. The range of skill points from 1 INT to 10 INT is much smaller. Charisma modifies damage and defense of companions, but is still fairly useless, imo. The stat i found the most useful this time around was Endurance. You can get implants like the first two games and the amount of implants you can get is governed by your END stat.

I am tempted either by a no-kill play, though I am somewhat afraid it wouldn't be super fun - though it's definitely a challenge.
Its very, very fun. The surprising thing is that its not really that challenging. The only tough part was at Primm in the very beginning, iirc.

ScrubJay

harriet the spy said:
Hey guys,

I played Fallout 3 as a shotgun toting thief (and finished the game as ubergod since the game makes you max out all stats anyway) - omar style. I need a new character for vegas.

Other options: martial arts expert (i played fallout 2 like that and it was a blast. It was fun kicking the last boss in the face until he died). Probably would be a good guy, then.

Similar option: big monstrous dude (thinking 10 Strength, 10 constitution) using melee weapons. If it was anything like Fallout 2, 1 intelligence (for new dialogue options). and maybe for once, though I have a hard time doing it, be evil on top of it.'

Any suggestions / warnings ? (i'd look these things up but I am trying to spoil myself as little as possible)

Intelligence isn't as useful, you get a base of 10 skill points per level and each point in it gives you an extra .5, up to a maximum 5 extra skill points per level. Intelligence does give you more conversation options if that's your thing.

Charisma makes your companions stronger, giving them extra damage and damage resist. A player with 10 charisma can just sit back and let their companion murder everything in their path.

Unarmed and Melee are very viable options, to get the best perks you'll have to put points in both of them. It'll be a little rough at first but once you get a good weapon things die so fast. I did fine with 7 strength and 6 endurance, though. As a fair warning, you'll reach a point where you can raise your SPECIAL stats for each point of endurance you have, so don't gimp that.

It is also nigh impossible to be evil in this game. There are so many hostile mobs in this game that give charisma for killing them that you'll pretty much always have saintly karma, no matter how much you steal and how many innocents you kill.

Sober

Effect said:
The game is fun to play overall (not counting bugs. Only froze on me once.) Using VATS mainly as it was the best way to conserve ammo. I think I have enough energy cells, etc to use my Laser Rifle. Though that I was able to get it somewhat earlier then I thought bothers me a bit. It was a while before you even came across weapons like that in FO3 and then it was mainly off of either Enclave or BoS enemies. Where I got them from in New Vegas doesn't make much sense.
With the skill point and perk rate changes to FNV, you can't be godlike ala FO3 when you get anywhere close to the level cap. You won't be able to pump all your skillpoints into both Guns and Energy Weapons without being somewhat deficient in other things. I think at best, starting at 6 INT, educated at level 4, (no implants) you can maybe fill 5 or 6 of your skills to 100 rather than almost everything by level 20 FO3.

Also because of that, if you want to focus solely on energy weapons to get around (I want to give that a try in a playthrough), you can do just that. They also come with some cool perks, and they were recently buffed in the last patch (non-bulk ammo has DT)

Ducky_McGee said:
Played side quests and shit until I was level 24-26. Didn't even enter the strip until I was around that level.
I'm in that same situation, but I don't see how you screwed it up for yourself, other than
being pardoned by the Legion and NCR
...?

On INT, I've been playing as a character with 3 INT and have found hardly any stupid responses. A bit disappointed on that front.

water_wendi said:
Intelligence isnt as godly as it was in Fallout 3. The range of skill points from 1 INT to 10 INT is much smaller. Charisma modifies damage and defense of companions, but is still fairly useless, imo. The stat i found the most useful this time around was Endurance. You can get implants like the first two games and the amount of implants you can get is governed by your END stat.

Its very, very fun. The surprising thing is that its not really that challenging. The only tough part was at Primm in the very beginning, iirc.

I respect you. Even as a peace-loving hippie and all, I find it hard to restrain to shoot people in the head in videogames. But, I might go for it :)

I am assuming that a no-kill gamethrough involves high speech and high sneak? (sneaking was my highest stat in my fallout 3 game, but it usually involved a shotgun sneak attack at the end.)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
harriet the spy said:
I respect you. Even as a peace-loving hippie and all, I find it hard to restrain to shoot people in the head in videogames. But, I might go for it :)

I am assuming that a no-kill gamethrough involves high speech and high sneak? (sneaking was my highest stat in my fallout 3 game, but it usually involved a shotgun sneak attack at the end.)
Yea, Speech, Sneak, and running lol

water_wendi said:
Yea, Speech, Sneak, and running lol
If I do that, just for kicks, I will definitely try to go for a snake oil salesman persona, wear the weaseliest outfit i can find, and make a point of compulsively lying (even when it's against my interest). I might reserve the right to stab people in their sleep.

I have a DLC announcement for you. Clicky!

May 3rd, 2011 (London, UK) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, today announced three downloadable content packs will be released in the coming months for Fallout®: New Vegas™. The three packs will be released simultaneously for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and Windows-based PCs.

Honest Hearts™, Old World Blues™ and Lonesome Road™ will further expand upon Fallout: New Vegas. Fallout: New Vegas takes all the action, humour and post-apocalyptic grime and grit of this legendary series and raises the stakes.

Available on May 17th for Xbox 360 and Windows-based PCs and May 18th for PlayStation®3, Honest Hearts takes you on an expedition to the unspoiled wilderness of Utah’s Zion National Park. Things go horribly wrong when your caravan is ambushed by a tribal raiding band. As you try to find a way back to the Mojave you become embroiled in a war between tribes and a conflict between a New Canaanite missionary and the mysterious Burned Man. The decisions you make will determine the fate of Zion.

In Old World Blues, releasing in June, you will discover how some of the Mojave’s mutated monsters came to be when you unwittingly become a lab rat in a science experiment gone awry. You’ll need to scour the Pre-War research centres of the Big Empty in search of technology to turn the tables on your kidnappers or join forces with them against an even greater threat.

Lonesome Road, available in July, brings the courier’s story full circle when you are contacted by the original Courier Six, a man by the name of Ulysses who refused to deliver the Platinum Chip at the start of New Vegas. In his transmission, Ulysses promises the answer as to why, but only if you take one last job –a job that leads you into the depths of the hurricane-swept canyons of the Divide, a landscape torn apart by earthquakes and violent storms. The road to the Divide is a long and treacherous one, and of the few to ever walk the road, none have ever returned.

Reviews of Fallout: New Vegas have called the game as “an utterly essential purchase” (MSN UK) and as “addictively, rambunctiously fun” (Entertainment Weekly). The Associated Press awarded it a 4 out of 4 stars and said “Bottom Line: It’s a Blast”, while GameSpy gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars and called Fallout: New Vegas “one of the best games of the year.”

All downloadable content for Fallout: New Vegas will be available for download on Xbox LIVE® for 800 Microsoft Points, the PlayStation®Network for €9.99 / £7.49, and both Steam and Direct2Drive for €9.99 / £7.49.

For more information on Fallout: New Vegas, published by Bethesda Softworks and developed at Obsidian Entertainment, including the game’s downloadable content, please visit http://fallout.bethsoft.com.

hemtae

Comes out right after finals for me and right before I find out that I failed everything miserably. Perfect timing

Leckan

Oh shit!

Honest-Heartsburing1.jpg

http://bethblog.com/

Leckan

Am I the only one whose more excited in the stories in the DLC and how it will expand the main-plot and tie everything together rather than just new weapons and gameplay?

Effect said:
Figured this might be the case. Wish it wasn't though. Should reach there tonight when I play again.

I've only encountered two companions so far. Boone and Veronica. Cheated a little and read up on her so picked her up and figure I'd make a little side trip before heading on to the Strip.

Novac is very close to the beginning of the game, and I'd say when you first arrive on the Strip proper, it's about midway... I dunno, for me at least. I was massively led down by the Strip at first, just because it's so unimpressive and boring, but the missions around it end up getting pretty good... So, it helps make up for it.

May 17 for the DLC sounds good. Too bad it's the same day that LA Noire comes out, but should provide some ample gaming this summer. Broken Steel made Fallout 3 for me, so I'm sure that these will probably add some more to the game as well.

duckroll

Leckan said:
Am I the only one whose more excited in the stories in the DLC and how it will expand the main-plot and tie everything together rather than just new weapons and gameplay?

The main plot of New Vegas is pretty complete. The DLC stories expand on the world instead. I'm definitely interested in the story and scenario of the DLCs, but I think gameplay is also a big factor. Dead Money had very unique gameplay design compared to the main game, and I hope each of these 3 DLC scenarios also have unique gameplay design to keep things different and refreshing. :)

Leckan

Oh don't get me wrong. I love the new gameplay-scenario twist they give you with content such as Dead Money for example where you have to start a new so to speak and where you're not obscenely overpowered. It's just not often you have DLC that does anything more than just lazily throwing more items and derivative gameplay at you. I can't remember any DLC for any game at the top of my head where it actually contained an interesting story-arc on top of the main game.

Finding out more about the Burned man and Ulysses and what their roles will be is worth the price of admission alone for me.

Audioboxer

Is the game playable yet after the main quest/or will it be with the upcoming DLC?

I seem to remember reading even although they finally overhauled Fallout 3 to have "endless playing", New Vegas went back to being over on completion :X

duckroll

Leckan said:
Oh don't get me wrong. I love the new gameplay-scenario twist they give you with content such as Dead Money for example where you have to start a new so to speak and where you're not obscenely overpowered. It's just not often you have DLC that does anything more than just lazily throwing more items and derivative gameplay at you. I can't remember any DLC for any game at the top of my head where it actually contained an interesting story-arc on top of the main game.

Finding out more about the Burned man and Ulysses and what their roles will be is worth the price of admission alone for me.

Well, it's more than just starting Dead Money with no items or companions. What I liked about Dead Money was that it was designed to favor players who pay attention to their surroundings and in general present a more dangerous environment to explore. Another thing it had was the internal economy using the vending machine trading system. Stuff like that made Dead Money memorable as an experience separate from the gameplay of the main NV game.

If HH, OWB, and LR all have their own unique gameplay traits and internal game systems like Dead Money, then I would find that more important to me than the story elements (which are also important but not as much).

As for new weapons and equipment, I don't think it's that important, but it's nice to have in the DLC to create a bit a variety and distinction to the setting. Otherwise it's not a huge deal. What's important to me is how unique the experience itself is, and that includes the characters, the companions, and the gameplay.

duckroll

Leckan said:
That's what I meant with gameplay-scenario twist. Maybe I didn't word it right.

Well, what I meant was that I feel for me personally, the gameplay aspect of the DLCs will be just as important if not more important than the story. I can see the story elements being what hooks everyone to the DLCs (Father Elijah, Burned Man, Ecology of the Mojave, Ulysses), but I feel that what will make people stay and play through the entire 8-10 hours for each DLC has to be the gameplay.

If the gameplay is weak, then people will be disappointed. Just like how those who did not enjoy the gameplay decisions made in Dead Money basically hate the DLC. So I feel that each DLC having unique gameplay is pretty important, to keep it varied, even if the story elements are already compelling.

Leckan

And I absolutely agree with you. I'm excited for what surprises Obsidian will bring in the gameplay department. It's just that it's very rare to have DLC that will actually be interesting in the story department. Maybe the Shadow Broker in ME2 I don't know but it's rare.

duckroll

Leckan said:
And I absolutely agree with you. I'm excited for what surprises Obsidian will bring in the gameplay department. It's just that it's very rare to have DLC that will actually be interesting in the story department. Maybe the Shadow Broker in ME2 I don't know but it's rare.

Yes, it's true that story DLC in general is still in its infancy. I haven't really been interested in much story DLC so far, and the ones I have tried are usually somewhat disappointing. ME2 and NV are the only two games where I feel compelled to get the DLC, but because of Bioware's awful store scheme for buying DLC on the PC, I'm just going to wait for the GOTY version of ME2 to be on sale on Steam.

jax (old)

Banned
read about the DLC elsewhere.

First thing that came to mind was

A) gonna wait for GOTY edition

B) feel so terrible for the obsidian guys who got the boot.

The DLC for this title sure took forever. My PC version is still installaed though

Galactik

Neo Member
Just about to start NW, and curious if it is worth downloading Dead Money now or waiting until I finish the main story first. Thoughts?

This is my first large scale game aside from Red Dead Redemption that I have played in quite some time.

Lothars

Galactik said:
Just about to start NW, and curious if it is worth downloading Dead Money now or waiting until I finish the main story first. Thoughts?

This is my first large scale game aside from Red Dead Redemption that I have played in quite some time.

I would recommend to wait at least till your like level 15 or so because the enemies are quite difficult, but if you start it right away than that's ok to.

duckroll

Galactik said:

Depends on whether you plan on playing Dead Money at all. If you do intend on eventually playing it, I would recommend downloading it first, but ignoring the actual quest until towards the end of the game. The reason being that the Dead Money DLC adds some minor interaction with a certain companion you will get, which it also eventually checks in the DLC to give additional dialogue options if you have interacted with that companion on the related topic.

Alternatively, if you are unsure if you want to play Dead Money at all, you could hold off until you're far enough in the game to be sure you want to spend 10 dollars on a DLC in the first place. It's not a huge issue, and it's up to you.

Ourobolus

Banned
Gonna play through this again to get ready for the DLC. I haven't played Dead Money though.

My first playthrough I went Unarmed/Very Hard/Hardcore, and took the Yes Man path and relatively good Karma.

Any suggestions on what to play this time through? I definitely want to play Guns-heavy, Very Hard, and no Hardcore...what about factions, etc.?

Galactik

Neo Member
My gaming habits have changed over the past 17 months due to having a daughter. So I have been taking games slower and trying to enjoy them more for their content instead of blowing through them to play the next hit of the week.

So I do plan on picking up all the DLC for New Vegas as it comes out and getting as much as I can from the game.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Effect

Didn't get a chance to play as much last night as I wished. Messed around in the Hidden Valley some but heading to the Repconn HQ. I think I'm going to put off going into that for now and head right to the Strip to see what it looks like. Hoping for the best but my expectations are lower from where they originally were. I still enjoy the game but I was hoping I'd be able to rank this above FO3 mainly because that will be the deciding factor if I get any of the DLC or not as it most likely will be of the same tone and style. I might end up getting more of the FO3 DLC that I don't have. Right now I still prefer FO3 over New Vegas and that's getting stronger which as a sequel that shouldn't really happen I think.

Fairly excited for these downloadables. I do wish that Obsidian/Bethesda could have gotten their shit together and released information on them in a steadier drip, but hey, 3 straight months of new content ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Leckan said:

Nope. While I too am excited about the new mechanics and aesthetics that these packs will bring, the biggest selling point for me would be more story arcs. The fiction of Fallout is amongst my favorite.

The Burned Man is a fucking mummy wearing armor. Can't wait.

Atruvius

When I put my New Vegas disc inside my PS3 slim, the spinning noise is really really loud. I'm typing this on my PS3 and it still makes this horrible whomwhomwhomwhom whomwhom whomwhom- sound.

Is something wrong with the disc or something? NW is the only game that makes those sounds. Has anyone had this problem?

Atruvius

duckroll said:
Okay, I've seen two people post "NW" so far now. W is nowhere close to V on the keyboard. What gives? :)
Sorry. :D I forgot Vegas' first letter is v and not w. English isn't my native language so I make a lot of mistakes.

Top Bottom