• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

duckroll

You know what I think would have made Charisma a much better stat in NV in particular? If they allowed two companions at a time for >5 CHR characters, and balanced the game so each companion on their own is significantly weaker. That way, with the extra damage and DT percentage applied to two companions instead of one, it makes the difference between 1 CHR and 10 CHR much, much greater.

Almighty said:
I meant to address it, but have too many things going on and things got jumbled up.

Hah, yeah I feel ya. This thread hasn't moved this fast for about 6 months!

Duckroll I've been meaning to ask; are you playing on PC? The Wanderer's Edition mod for Fallout 3 does make CHA work like that with companions, it's great. The guys behind it are working on a New Vegas mod called Project Nevada but I haven't seen anything suggesting that they want to port that part over unfortunately :\

duckroll

jim-jam bongs said:
Duckroll I've been meaning to ask; are you playing on PC? The Wanderer's Edition mod for Fallout 3 does make CHA work like that with companions, it's great. The guys behind it are working on a New Vegas mod called Project Nevada but I haven't seen anything suggesting that they want to port that part over unfortunately :\

Yes I'm playing on the PC. I wouldn't play games like this on consoles, because I value my sanity. The ability to hotfix critical quest bugs or formula errors with mods is essential, as is the ability to improve the UI with mods. The lightning quick loading helps a lot too, especially with how some areas are broken up.

duckroll said:
Yes I'm playing on the PC. I wouldn't play games like this on consoles, because I value my sanity. The ability to hotfix critical quest bugs or formula errors with mods is essential, as is the ability to improve the UI with mods. The lightning quick loading helps a lot too, especially with how some areas are broken up.

For sure, my flatmate got completely destroyed by quest bugs in the 360 version at release. And watching him wander around The Strip is actually painful for me.

Well I had a quick look at Nexus and this is the most promising CHA-based follower mod I could find:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36577

Anyone else on 360 been having the game start freeze when loading areas since the latest patch? It's so bad that in three hours of play over two sessions, it completely locked up (after the loading screen, on the black screen; no sound) more than a dozen times.

I now save BEFORE I transfer to a new area. On the strip, Freeside, etc, it means I'm saving every couple of minutes in case the game locks up. Damned frustrating.

duckroll

jim-jam bongs said:
For sure, my flatmate got completely destroyed by quest bugs in the 360 version at release. And watching him wander around The Strip is actually painful for me.

Well I had a quick look at Nexus and this is the most promising CHA-based follower mod I could find:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36577

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not really interested in loading mods which alter gameplay in significant wants without being rebalanced or redesigned around those alterations. It reeks of a lack of effort to me.

Since NV is already balanced for a singular companion to be pretty damn strong, a mod like that would break the game completely. What would be nice is a companion mod which weakens companions significantly, without making them useless. I think a balance which increases overall DT for all companions, while lowering the damage they deal normally, would be interesting. From there, CHR should impact damage dealt more substantially. So if you have low CHR, you're forced to roll with just a single companion, and you'll probably have to do most of the heavy lifting in combat. If you have average CHR, you can roll with two companions, and it would be similar in practice to playing with a single companion normally in NV right now. And only reserved for high/max CHR players, should be the ability to effectively just stand back and let your two companions do all/most of the killing in almost any scenario where your level is higher than the enemies you're facing.

I think a system like that could be pretty fun.

I know what you mean about balance changes made in isolation, that's why I enjoy the total overhauls more than just modifiers usually. Some day the New Vegas stuff should get to where FO3 is now and hopefully changes like what you're describing there will get wrapped up into one of the major ones.

Almighty

duckroll said:
You know what I think would have made Charisma a much better stat in NV in particular? If they allowed two companions at a time for >5 CHR characters, and balanced the game so each companion on their own is significantly weaker. That way, with the extra damage and DT percentage applied to two companions instead of one, it makes the difference between 1 CHR and 10 CHR much, much greater.

Yes something like this would of been very good in my book.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Playing it on the 360 is still really buggy. Crashes aren't that common, for me at least, but there are bugs that will keep you from completing quests that have no work around.
Bleh, is there a list (like with the Elder Scrolls wiki) so I can just know what to avoid like the plague? How many patches did the game get for the 360? I do recall a couple of crashes when I played it the first time. I hate having to be in paranoid save mode with games, it's one I still have a 100 FO3 saves on my PS3.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Bleh, is there a list (like with the Elder Scrolls wiki) so I can just know what to avoid like the plague? How many patches did the game get for the 360? I do recall a couple of crashes when I played it the first time. I hate having to be in paranoid save mode with games, it's one I still have a 100 FO3 saves on my PS3.

I think the Fallout New Vegas wiki has a pretty comprehensive list.

It's had a few patches for 360, and the last one actually added some new problems like game locking up when trying to load. The kicker with that patch is that it didn't really fix any bugs, just changed some weapon stats and maybe a few other small things.

It's had a few patches for 360, and the last one actually added some new problems like game locking up when trying to load.
Have they acknowledged this as a problem? Check the official forums and didn't see anything. I thought I might've been the only person having this issue...

survivor

Banned
Since the game was for $20 dollars I picked it up for the PS3.

It's a very different RPG to what I'm used to. It's very open and a lot of times I'm not sure if I went too far. Plus it took me a long time just to get used to the menus. Either way I'm having a lot of fun even though I don't even know how to lockpick or hack and I'm sure I'm probably using my skill points the wrong way.

The only question I have is early on in the game am I suppose to avoid huge fights? Like I tried to attack the convict prison but I got destroyed. So I'm guessing I either suck or I'm supposed to be going south and finish my quest there first.

codswallop said:
Have they acknowledged this as a problem? Check the official forums and didn't see anything. I thought I might've been the only person having this issue...

Not that I know of. I haven't really messed with the game too much since the last atch, but I found that if I start a new game I can load older saves no problem.

duckroll

survivor said:
The only question I have is early on in the game am I suppose to avoid huge fights? Like I tried to attack the convict prison but I got destroyed. So I'm guessing I either suck or I'm supposed to be going south and finish my quest there first.

Generally it depends on the character type you're playing. Some characters are better at dealing with large scale conflicts earlier in the game, others will fare better once you are higher in level and loaded with stronger weapons. There isn't really any reason for you to want to attack the correctional facility either way. Usually stuff like that will get you killed very quickly. The game largely gives you the option to play any way you want to, and go anywhere you want to, and shoot anyone you want to. But that doesn't mean you go looking for trouble. :)

Not that I know of. I haven't really messed with the game too much since the last atch, but I found that if I start a new game I can load older saves no problem.
Oh, that issue they've fixed. They fixed it in a couple of days. I'm having another problem that only started after that patch where it goes to a black screen when loading a new areas.

survivor

Banned
duckroll said:
Generally it depends on the character type you're playing. Some characters are better at dealing with large scale conflicts earlier in the game, others will fare better once you are higher in level and loaded with stronger weapons. There isn't really any reason for you to want to attack the correctional facility either way. Usually stuff like that will get you killed very quickly. The game largely gives you the option to play any way you want to, and go anywhere you want to, and shoot anyone you want to. But that doesn't mean you go looking for trouble. :)
Yeah I'm trying to keep my habits of shooting everyone I see away. I tried the shooting friendly NPC test to see how they react and it turned ugly.

The only reason I went to the facility is cause I didn't see the quest marker down south for recruiting Primm's Sheriff. I assumed I can take them on but after 3 tries I realized I can't handle 4 guys shooting at me at once with dynamites thrown in the mix.

survivor said:

That's the same problem I've had too.

am I right to feel that the skill checks are now binary, i.e. either you are just high enough in which case it succeeds, or too low in which case it fails?
(for instance a speech check)

Sober

harriet the spy said:
am I right to feel that the skill checks are now binary, i.e. either you are just high enough in which case it succeeds, or too low in which case it fails?
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Fortunately they do tell you the skill you need to do the speech check, so you can come back later or apply a magazine/drugs/etc. Also, don't know if anyone noticed but there is a different line for failed speech check vs. successful speech check. At least it isn't FO3's "how convincing can I repeat it to you before you say yes?"

harriet the spy said:

Yep, they are totally binary now. Someone earlier in the thread was saying that they felt like it removed the element of risk, but the risk is now attached to whether or not you use a skill magazine to pass a check which you might need later on for something more important.

Sober said:
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Fortunately they do tell you the skill you need to do the speech check, so you can come back later or apply a magazine/drugs/etc. Also, don't know if anyone noticed but there is a different line for failed speech check vs. successful speech check. At least it isn't FO3's "how convincing can I repeat it to you before you say yes?"
As somewhat unrealistic as the system might be (i.e. going from a "FUCK YOU" to a "of course i would be delighted to help you good sir" in 1 skill point), this is much better. Removes any incentive to 'cheat' by reloading and retrying a skill check. Also makes it really worth it to invest in speech or stuff like that.

Maybe I should stop wandering around the wasteland and do the main quest. I'm already lvl 14 and I never visited the big city in the north (new Vegas?). :lol then again … I've never been in the north. Hmm. I also found some companions, but I'm not sure I want them.

brotkasten said:
Maybe I should stop wandering around the wasteland and do the main quest. I'm already lvl 14 and I never visited the big city in the north (new Vegas?). :lol then again … I've never been in the north. Hmm. I also found some companions, but I'm not sure I want them.

I was level 25 when I entered New Vegas for the first time in my first run, do what you feel dude, don't let The Man (well, your quest log) tell you what to do!

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
First game breaking glitch 25 hours in. Did the HELIOS One quest and found the rangefinder before the Elder's quest. Broke the 'I Could Make You Care" quest for me. :(

Leckan

edgefusion said:
I can't say I've found the companions particularly lacking in gusto and I'm playing with 1 charisma. I might give a high charisma, combat-shy character a run through and see what it's like. I'm speaking from a disadvantage in that I never gave a a non-jacking fools build a thought. It might be an interesting change of pace, or just confirm the notion it should be renamed Speial. :p

With a 10 in CH you can make a build that will never have to use a weapon again once you get your first companion because they will be walking death-tanks thanks to the nerve bonus.

Aaron

harriet the spy said:
As somewhat unrealistic as the system might be (i.e. going from a "FUCK YOU" to a "of course i would be delighted to help you good sir" in 1 skill point), this is much better. Removes any incentive to 'cheat' by reloading and retrying a skill check. Also makes it really worth it to invest in speech or stuff like that.
Bullshit. It's frustrating to get near the end of the quest, and being stopped from completing it any way but gun's blazing. I got to the very end of the game and couldn't beat the guy via speech because I was short two damn points! If you're frustrating the player and forcing him to do another quest just so he can come back to the one he's on, thus breaking any chance of immersion, you're doing something very wrong.

daviyoung

Banned
I try to level up my 'check' (lockpick, speech, explosives) skills in increments of 5 since this seems to be the way the game deals with them. Usually it's 10 points at a time though.

Aaron

daviyoung said:
I try to level up my 'check' (lockpick, speech, explosives) skills in increments of 5 since this seems to be the way the game deals with them. Usually it's 10 points at a time though.
You might be caught flat-footed on occasion then since there are a few checks in the game with odd values. I remember a particularly frustrating 73 for speech. Rare but annoying.

daviyoung

Banned
Aaron said:
You might be caught flat-footed on occasion then since there are a few checks in the game with odd values. I remember a particularly frustrating 73 for speech. Rare but annoying.

Ha really? I've never noticed an odd value check in my play-throughs. In that case, I'm all out of advice.

Audioboxer

I bottled it and went for a guns build. I'll try melee on my next playthrough, just want to enjoy the game and keep things familiar just now.

Audioboxer

Has the small frame perk been tweaked in any recent patches?

Seems I'm getting crippled with nearly every second hit (regardless of it being melee/ranged).

Audioboxer

Had my first PS3 lock up. Just added Raul as a companion, left his jail building and everything froze up :(

My other companion is currently ED-E.

Aaron said:
Bullshit. It's frustrating to get near the end of the quest, and being stopped from completing it any way but gun's blazing. I got to the very end of the game and couldn't beat the guy via speech because I was short two damn points! If you're frustrating the player and forcing him to do another quest just so he can come back to the one he's on, thus breaking any chance of immersion, you're doing something very wrong.
i am not sure save/load is better at immersion than checks.

What I would be for: a fallout, hardcore mode, no savegame (i mean you can save, but it quits right after, and destroys the file on loading or death). Balanced for that difficulty, of course. Then I am ok with random checks.

Btw, I am playing on 360 - is there a partial list somewhere of the most common gamebreaking bugs. I really don't feel like starting over again if I fuck something up.

Audioboxer

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_New_Vegas_Bugs

Enjoy, there are more than in that list though. I don't think it lists all the quest related bugs that can keep you from completing them. It's a mess. Good luck.

Well one I know I encountered was with Neil. He got to the top of the mountain after a speech check to ask him to help, then just gave me to same response to come with me/wait - Basically just waits no matter what.

When waiting to help you at the top of Black Mountain, Neil will give the response "whatever you do be quick about it" no matter what you tell him. This is caused by having a lot of extra, unnecessary conditions for the "Let's go" response.

Surely a bug like that would be simple to fix...

There are a ton of bugs and I don't think they're that interested in fixing them. I had hope with the last patch, but no...

Great game though. The PC version is the only version is the only version that I'd recommend to anyone. 360 is too much pain, not sure about PS3, but I doubt it's any better.

duckroll said:
Okay I think the other thread is dead so...

Here's the part of the Qore36 preview about the DLCs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PylXIbDKZ4
Nice, thanks for the video. Some new weapons and armor from the looks of it. The burned man with a stack of 45's looks like he is ready to get some vengeance. After hearing about The Big Empty in Dead Money, I can't wait to pick it over and see what kind of crazy tech can be had. I imagine anyone with energy weapons will be very happy.

harriet the spy said:
i am not sure save/load is better at immersion than checks.

What I would be for: a fallout, hardcore mode, no savegame (i mean you can save, but it quits right after, and destroys the file on loading or death). Balanced for that difficulty, of course. Then I am ok with random checks.

Btw, I am playing on 360 - is there a partial list somewhere of the most common gamebreaking bugs. I really don't feel like starting over again if I fuck something up.
When I first started in Hardcore mod and noticed the /100 saves, I assumed it was 100 saves max on a single playthrough, excluding auto saves.

Played the first 10 hours with only the auto save and a single save in the first town. With no ability to save before making stupid choices it forced me to take things as they came. It was exhilarating, until I realised it was 100 separate saves at which point it fell into my old habits.

Audioboxer

After sinking a decent amount of hours into this and getting to level 9, I can see where "reskinned fallout 3" complaints come in. Guess they didn't name it Fallout 4 for such reasons? (might be another completely justified reason it isn't Fallout 4).

I'm having fun, and I mean I bought the game for £7.99, totally worth it. However I wouldn't be as happy if I had paid full price (not considering the ridiculous amount of bugs at launch, and even now).

Just feelings so far, I'm completely open to later game content changing my opinions. Aiming down the sights is a nice addition, I'll add that.

Now I'm away to play some more!

Just finished Dead Money. Loved it from start to finish. I really enjoyed the nightmare-ish sense of isolation that that piece of content forces on you. great add on.

I just started my hardcore melee/unarmed character. I never realized how fun hardcore could be, the extra weight makes things difficult, in a fun way.

Top Bottom