• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Sober said:
Besides, stealing gives you what, -5 karma? Kill a fiend or something and it'll net you like 20. It's really hard to be negative karma in FNV anyway just from having to mow down raiders in self defence and getting positive karma for it.

I never actually stole in FO3 because things like stimpacks were so cheap but in FNV I steal like a madman yet there are so few repercussions. Then again, thieving in the Gamebryo engine is pretty janky anyway. Also, the crates you can drag along in FNV just are a complete joke when it comes to being able to store everything in them without worry of encumbrance.

Stealing is totally stupid in FO3 and NV. For example, if I kill a guy why does his stuff not belong to me, or belong to nobody? I mean, take karma away for killing him in cold-blood, sure, but once he's dead he doesn't need it any more!

There is a mod which fixes this, but it's such a fundamental thing that I'm always shocked that they didn't implement it better.

bonesmccoy said:
And Cass - apart from her quest and dialogue - sux.

Give me pugilist Veronica and murderous Boone.

My flatmate has recently become a big Cass fan, but I've always had a soft spot for Veronica too. I dig Boone but not in a way that makes me want to have a beer with him. Definitely want him on your side when a fight goes down though.

duckroll said:
This is why I don't give a crap about achievements unless they're actually interesting. Running through multiple endings of an open ended RPG with no purpose other than just to "get the achievement" means nothing to me. I'll rather take my time and explore alternative gameplay options with actual complete game replays which focus on completely different character personalities. It's a waste of time to just do something for the sake of doing it and checking it off on a list.

I usually agree but NV is good like that; going back to tick off all 4 endings will also lead to you seeing different content every time.

duckroll

jim-jam bongs said:
I usually agree but NV is good like that; going back to tick off all 4 endings will also lead to you seeing different content every time.

I'm not knocking the achievments. I'm just saying, I don't want to do stuff just to check off the achievement. If I replay the game and pick different choices for the end, and earn an achievement in the process, great. Or in the case of Dead Money, if the achievements are simply different ways of getting the same end result, loading the pre-end save to try out different shit right at the end is fun.

I don't plan on getting the different ending achievements for NV until I actually get there with new characters though.

In other news...

One of the staff laid off previously has updated her Linkedin profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/gearsoflore

This gives us a really good idea of the rough development periods for the DLC.

World Builder/Designer - Fallout: New Vegas DLC: Dead Money
Obsidian Entertainment
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Games industry
August 2010 – October 2010 (3 months)

Designed several world spaces. Propped, cluttered, and scripted both interiors and exteriors.
Created stealth levels
Scripted encounters and set up AI behaviors
Taught navmesh basics to several interns

World Builder/Designer - Fallout: New Vegas DLC: Honest Hearts
Obsidian Entertainment
October 2010 – December 2010 (3 months)

Built the world; created the height map, sculpted and painted terrain
Designed, propped, and cluttered two areas
Scripted encounters, set up AI behaviors and factions
Implemented quests
Baked LoDs and props

Lead World Builder/Designer - Fallout: New Vegas DLC: Old World Blues
Obsidian Entertainment
November 2010 – April 2011 (6 months)

Oversaw the world building work of two interns
Designed and created the world, everything from the height map to the world layout
Blocked out all secondary locations and one primary location
Propped out and optimized many of the secondary locations
Wrote scripted encounters, modified the encounter system and implemented quests
Set up special encounters and mini-bosses
Finalized and optimized navmesh
Baked props and LoDs

Curiously, it doesn't list Lonesome Road. But for those who haven't been paying attention to the recent Obsidian news, this is part of the recommendation Chris Avellone wrote for her after she was laid off:

Lastly, while future Fallout releases will prove the strengths of this, Sydney had the extremely challenging task of designing almost an entire world zone for Fallout on her own, measuring its performance, gameplay pacing, and making it fun and engaging for the player, and by my count, she succeeded. The moment you step into the DLC in question, you'll see everything she brought to life in one huge vista shot, and to this day, I feel it's one of the most amazing shots I've seen in a Fallout title to date.

Sounds like Old World Blues is going to be that DLC.

Effect

This might have been answered already but it's a big thread. Does anyone know what causes the PS3 version to slow down and lag after a few hours?

I'm not doing anything really intensive just walking or maybe even sometimes just leaving the game sitting and then coming back to it. Usually doesn't hit me until I zone into an a building. Like one of the clubs on the Strip or recently last night when I went into the Hoover Dam Power Plant. It's been annoying the past few days and when that happens I usually take that as a cue to stop playing. So there is at least some benefit from it but shouldn't be happening at all I think.

The quest setup and pacing is still a bit of a mess I feel. I finally got to the Tops and got what I needed but seeing as I want to follow the NCR side I was left wondering what to do next. Especially after running into the Legion guy. Had to go to the fallout wiki to see that I had already gotten the NCR quest and was almost done with it. Ugh. From how I understand it after the Tops the game is suppose to splinter into three or four directions in terms of the main storyline as it marches toward the end. You decide which side you really want to join. Why one should be able to get one of those quest lines before even getting to that point is confusing.

I hope the next Fallout at least has a quest filtering system or groupings so it's easier to know what factions you've done things for. From the wiki it looks like I'm nearing the end considering the direction I'm going and that I've done the BoS quest line already. Trying to decide if I'll detour to more side quest before the end or not.

I know I'm complaining but I have had fun with the game. It's been enjoyable even with the issues I have with it and some of the bugs I encountered. Glad I didn't pay full price though still. More certain then ever that I prefer Fallout 3 due to it's characters, story, and setting. My opinion of New Vegas has improved though. Still I get the feeling I'm missing things a lot of times when I talk to some NPCs. References to Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. I Can tell what they are when I encounter them. It's sort of due to how the dialogue is written. Yet it's completely wasted on me as I didn't play much of those two games. Got the combo pack years ago but didn't stick with them. Perhaps I might rank it over FO3 if I had those old memories and/or nostalgia for the game to play off.

BeeDog

Effect said:
This might have been answered already but it's a big thread. Does anyone know what causes the PS3 version to slow down and lag after a few hours?

I'm not doing anything really intensive just walking or maybe even sometimes just leaving the game sitting and then coming back to it. Usually doesn't hit me until I zone into an a building. Like one of the clubs on the Strip or recently last night when I went into the Hoover Dam Power Plant. It's been annoying the past few days and when that happens I usually take that as a cue to stop playing. So there is at least some benefit from it but shouldn't be happening at all I think.

The quest setup and pacing is still a bit of a mess I feel. I finally got to the Tops and got what I needed but seeing as I want to follow the NCR side I was left wondering what to do next. Especially after running into the Legion guy. Had to go to the fallout wiki to see that I had already gotten the NCR quest and was almost done with it. Ugh. From how I understand it after the Tops the game is suppose to splinter into three or four directions in terms of the main storyline as it marches toward the end. You decide which side you really want to join. Why one should be able to get one of those quest lines before even getting to that point is confusing.

I hope the next Fallout at least has a quest filtering system or groupings so it's easier to know what factions you've done things for. From the wiki it looks like I'm nearing the end considering the direction I'm going and that I've done the BoS quest line already. Trying to decide if I'll detour to more side quest before the end or not.

I know I'm complaining but I have had fun with the game. It's been enjoyable even with the issues I have with it and some of the bugs I encountered. Glad I didn't pay full price though still. More certain then ever that I prefer Fallout 3 due to it's characters, story, and setting. My opinion of New Vegas has improved though. Still I get the feeling I'm missing things a lot of times when I talk to some NPCs. References to Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. I Can tell what they are when I encounter them. It's sort of due to how the dialogue is written. Yet it's completely wasted on me as I didn't play much of those two games. Got the combo pack years ago but didn't stick with them. Perhaps I might rank it over FO3 if I had those old memories and/or nostalgia for the game to play off.

Sounds like a memory leak problem (e.g. the game doesn't do a good job of freeing up memory from assets that aren't needed anymore). Not surprised that this stupid engine still might have such problems.

BeeDog said:
Sounds like a memory leak problem (e.g. the game doesn't do a good job of freeing up memory from assets that aren't needed anymore). Not surprised that this stupid engine still might have such problems.
The PC version has the same problem.

duckroll

brotkasten said:
The PC version has the same problem.

I've never ever actually experienced this problem on the PC. Certain areas in particular seem less stable than others, probably due to the way they're managed in memory, but aside from that playing for long periods of time doesn't make the game particularly less stable. Instead sometimes a session is just particularly unstable for whatever reason, right from the start of that session, and trying again later on or the next day is a completely crash-free experience with perfect framerate.

I've only had random (to me) CTD's with the PC version. And some of those have to be due to the mods I run.

Re Old World Blues: That comment by Avellone has really piqued my interest. I never really had that moment of Fallout awe in NV - apart from a small bit that you get when you go up to the Springwater graveyard to collect that first snow-globe.

duckroll said:
I'm not knocking the achievments. I'm just saying, I don't want to do stuff just to check off the achievement. If I replay the game and pick different choices for the end, and earn an achievement in the process, great. Or in the case of Dead Money, if the achievements are simply different ways of getting the same end result, loading the pre-end save to try out different shit right at the end is fun.

I don't plan on getting the different ending achievements for NV until I actually get there with new characters though.

Oh I didn't take it as such, I probably didn't put that right. What I mean is that the achievements mainly reward trying different builds and exploring the story options, so it's one of those rare games where I'll find myself getting all the achievements just because I wanted to play more of the game, instead of it all being a bunch of silly shit which I wouldn't be doing at all if it weren't for the achievement.

Kinda pissed that that's not what Zion National Park looks like.

Zion_National_Park.jpg

At least they got the Narrows right.

duckroll

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/games/fnv-dlc.php#hh

Description:
An expedition into the unspoiled wilderness of Utah's Zion National Park goes horribly wrong when your caravan is ambushed by a tribal raiding band. As you try to find a way back to the Mojave you become embroiled in a war between tribes and a conflict between a New Canaanite missionary and the mysterious Burned Man. The decisions you make will determine the fate of Zion.

Key Features:
- New Terrain: Navigate the highs and lows of the steep canyon walls, caves, riverbeds, waterfalls and explore the lush landscapes and rugged terrain in beautiful and sprawling Zion Canyon.

- New Enemies: From the deadly Yao Guai and exotically lethal Greek Geckos to new hostile tribals, Zion Canyon is as dangerous as it is beautiful.

- New Perks and Weapons: Survive the wild with Tribal Wisdom or exact increased damage with Eye for Eye. Honest Hearts offers a host of new perks and weapons including the .45 Auto Pistol, .45 Auto Submachine Gun, the Compliance Regular, Fire Bombs, War Clubs, and Yao Guai Gauntlets.

http://twitter.com/#!/loonyboi/status/68316606958280704

Honest Hearts trailer is out! W/Keith Szarabajka (Dark Knight, Babylon 5, Angel, etc.) as Joshua Graham. AMAZING stuff. http://bit.ly/kVetrI

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppZHcOf7lI

Screens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47857688@N08/sets/72157626572798805/

Any word on the expected length of Honest Hearts?

I managed to sink about 7-8 hours into Dead Money, and I didn't do any extra investigating of the villas.

And I hope the Burned Man is a companion you can bring back to the Mojave.

Edvardelis said:
At $10 each I think they're too expensive.

If it's anything like Dead Money, its well worth it. You'll get 8 hours or so of complete FNV content: Voiced-characters, lore, weapons, perks, equipment and enemies. And these areas can be revisited.

These aren't Zeta/Anchorage style releases.

duckroll

bonesmccoy said:
If it's anything like Dead Money, its well worth it. You'll get 8 hours or so of complete FNV content: Voiced-characters, lore, weapons, perks, equipment and enemies. And these areas can be revisited.

These aren't Zeta/Anchorage style releases.

Not to mention it feels like a complete mini-game on its own. Intro movie + narration, unique companions, ending slides, multiple possible endings, etc.

I love Obsidian's approach to the DLC.

I was extremely skeptical of Dead Money, but it was well worth the time and money. If you enjoy the world/story of Fallout, I wouldn't be overly cautious of Obsidian's DLCs.

Straxus

Serious question.

I'm waiting for a GotY drop before I buy.

Which version of this game should I consider?

Xbox
vs.
PS3
vs
Asus G60 2.1c2d n260mGTX 4gig ram
?

InertiaXr

Straxus said:
Serious question.

I'm waiting for a GotY drop before I buy.

Which version of this game should I consider?

Xbox
vs.
PS3
vs
Asus G60 2.1c2d n260mGTX 4gig ram
?

Probably PC because you are able to mod it and have console commands and don't have to rely on Obsidian patches to 'fix' their game.

Lothars

duckroll said:
Not to mention it feels like a complete mini-game on its own. Intro movie + narration, unique companions, ending slides, multiple possible endings, etc.

I love Obsidian's approach to the DLC.

I think that the rest of the DLC will be alot better than Dead Money because I felt that was one of the weaker DLC packs with not enough payoff but one of my favorite parts of it was meeting
Father Elijah and the dialog with Veronica

D6AMIA6N

Ok, just finally beat this game. Independent Vegas! Anyway, in my opinion game was terrible when compared with Fallout 3. The entire game just lacked really any impact in my opinion. I had no attachment whatsoever to the NCR or Legion. Additionally the game was incredibly buggy. Really? Still no fix for the gun looking like it's coming over your head, or the invisible pip-boy? Awful. If you are going to play one, make sure it's Fallout 3, and not this mess.

kai3345

Banned
Just started the Dead Money DLC. And even after having only spent a little bit of time with him, God has probably become my favorite companion I've met in the game so far (Ive met Boone, Cass, and Raul).

duckroll

D6AMIA6N said:
Ok, just finally beat this game. Independent Vegas! Anyway, in my opinion game was terrible when compared with Fallout 3. The entire game just lacked really any impact in my opinion. I had no attachment whatsoever to the NCR or Legion. Additionally the game was incredibly buggy. Really? Still no fix for the gun looking like it's coming over your head, or the invisible pip-boy? Awful. If you are going to play one, make sure it's Fallout 3, and not this mess.

The only mess here is your terrible opinion.

kai3345

Banned
duckroll said:
The only mess here is your terrible opinion.
Seriously, from a content standpoint this game is leaps and bounds over 3. Sure its buggier, but from a purely content standpoint New Vegas is the clear winner

Dr. Chaos

Banned
bonesmccoy said:
And I hope the Burned Man is a companion you can bring back to the Mojave.
If he is, I hope they have the perfect sound effect ready for when you enter Caesar's tent with him and Caesar shits his pants.

TheUsual

Gold Member
D6AMIA6N said:
I personally think that Fallout 3 has a better wasteland, but the writing in New Vegas is leaps and bounds better. The bugs suck (the major one for me was pip-boy and fast traveling freezes, which it looks like I fixed), but they do not detract from the quality of the game. I'm excited how all the DLC has a major story arc to them (at least thats what I gathered from Dead Money).

I've grown an attachment to the NCR, but still haven't finished their ending (I went independent and then went with Legion side for the hell of it).

hemtae said:
If you have ED-E or Rex following you, try letting them go then talking to him.

That worked... sort of. Now instead of no option, I get to ask him.

He says I have too many people following me. Even if I have no one following me.

Ok, got it sorted out. I needed to have Rex with me for the game to let him join me.

any way to get yourself unaddicted to ultrajet?
..?

I don't understand why my character always gets addicted to everything. EVERYTHING!
i do use a drug, but it always seems like the very first time i use a drug, i get adicted. is it luck based? because my endurance is pretty good..

I'd look on the internet but I spoiled myself countless times on Fallout 3 by looking for seemingly unimportant stuff and having the wikia mention something like 'Notes: BIG SPOILER'. I apologize in advance if it is annoying.

-BLITZ-

If you play the game at hard, possible to get addicted more often than on a normal gameplay. Anyhow, there is a perk where gives half of chance to get addicted.

hemtae

harriet the spy said:
any way to get yourself unaddicted to ultrajet?
..?

I don't understand why my character always gets addicted to everything. EVERYTHING!
i do use a drug, but it always seems like the very first time i use a drug, i get adicted. is it luck based? because my endurance is pretty good..

I'd look on the internet but I spoiled myself countless times on Fallout 3 by looking for seemingly unimportant stuff and having the wikia mention something like 'Notes: BIG SPOILER'. I apologize in advance if it is annoying.

From the wiki, "Neither Fixer, nor doctors can heal Ultrajet addiction, so use it sparingly."

Also I'm pretty sure for the first time you use a chem, its luck based

Effect

TheUsual said:
I personally think that Fallout 3 has a better wasteland, but the writing in New Vegas is leaps and bounds better. The bugs suck (the major one for me was pip-boy and fast traveling freezes, which it looks like I fixed), but they do not detract from the quality of the game. I'm excited how all the DLC has a major story arc to them (at least thats what I gathered from Dead Money).

I've grown an attachment to the NCR, but still haven't finished their ending (I went independent and then went with Legion side for the hell of it).

If I could combine the two games that would be great. The size, atmosphere and location design of Fallout 3 combined with the quest design and layouts from New Vegas. The various options you can have at times is very nice. Story wise I'd rather have the Fallout 3 writers handle things as that overall story just clicked with me more.

New Vegas seems more of a collection of events rather then one large story I feel that might have side quest. There isn't anything wrong with that. Maybe that's the big difference and why it feels the way it does compared to FO3. This could be part of the lack of impact that D6AMIA6N mention and something I feel as well. Sure the NCR vs Legion is the running background story to this but it never seems as serious as one is lead to believe. If it was more in the forefront with scripted fights of NCR and Legion fighting it out all over the waste that you come across, actually seeing supply caravans attacked or defended as they move between towns, etc perhaps it would have more of an impact and I'd feel more drawn in. The descriptions of things in New Vegas are good. The actually presentation and showing of them is where things fall apart for me as well.

Effect said:
If I could combine the two games that would be great. The size, atmosphere and location design of Fallout 3 combined with the quest design and layouts from New Vegas. The various options you can have at times is very nice. Story wise I'd rather have the Fallout 3 writers handle things as that overall story just clicked with me more.

New Vegas seems more of a collection of events rather then one large story I feel that might have side quest. There isn't anything wrong with that. Maybe that's the big difference and why it feels the way it does compared to FO3. This could be part of the lack of impact that D6AMIA6N mention and something I feel as well. Sure the NCR vs Legion is the running background story to this but it never seems as serious as one is lead to believe. If it was more in the forefront with scripted fights of NCR and Legion fighting it out all over the waste that you come across, actually seeing supply caravans attacked or defended as they move between towns, etc perhaps it would have more of an impact and I'd feel more drawn in. The descriptions of things in New Vegas are good. The actually presentation and showing of them is where things fall apart for me as well.

I said this months ago when FNV first dropped: Let Obisidian design the characters, quests, locations and story, and let Bethesda design the actual map. That FNV's map is a bit smaller than F3's has always disappointed me. I really wanted to be able to get past that big check point.

As for NCR/Legion battles, the two are locked in a stalemate, and the NCR doesn't even realize that the Legion has encroached as much as they have. In fact, the NCR seems to be quite content sitting on its hands while the Mojave suffers - which I think was an intentional design choice by the developers. A somewhat underhanded way of showing that while the NCR's ideals are commendable, their application is wanting.

And lastly, F3's story was virtually one big exercise in hand-holding. It didn't require *any* decisions by the player; your allegiances were set up from the get go.

Lothars

bonesmccoy said:
I said this months ago when FNV first dropped: Let Obisidian design the characters, quests, locations and story, and let Bethesda design the actual map. That FNV's map is a bit smaller than F3's has always disappointed me. I really wanted to be able to get past that big check point.

If anything I would have Obsidian design the characters, story but give Bethesda the Map, quests and locations because I felt that other than the strip in NV, I preferred how the world felt in Fallout 3.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
duckroll said:
Letting Bethesda design anything = Lol I'm out. Not interested in their crap.
I don't know, I wouldn't sacrifice the great characters and story in New Vegas for it but I kind of missed Bethesda's meaty exploration.

Even the places with no real relevance in FO3 were kind of big. Some of those same kind of places in New Vegas, you walk in for about exactly a minute or two and you've pretty much seen everything in there.

But yes, it's definitely going to be quite depressing to go back to the Bethesda style of gameplay balance and writing after New Vegas.

duckroll

Dr. Chaos said:
But yes, it's definitely going to be quite depressing to go back to the Bethesda style of gameplay balance and writing after New Vegas.

Who said anything about going back? You won't see me in any thread for a Bethesda game, that's for sure!

Wallach

Honestly I don't know if I care which one of them does the next game. I think it's pretty obvious Obsidian took some cues from FO3 for NV and I imagine Bethesda would do the same if (or more likely when) they took up another Fallout project. Quite frankly I'm far more concerned about getting Fallout onto a new engine than I am over which of them would be working on it.

Top Bottom