• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

freddy

Banned
33-Hit-Combo said:
Is the DLC so far worth the money? I'm in UK and they seem pretty steep! I'm considering waiting until a combined pack becomes available.
Some of the best DLC I've seen for any games, but I will say the first one doesn't play at all like the main game.

kai3345

Banned
33-Hit-Combo said:
Is the DLC so far worth the money? I'm in UK and they seem pretty steep! I'm considering waiting until a combined pack becomes available.
I've only played Dead Money, but it was excellent

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just an FYI for anyone with the ED-E glitch where it disappears but is still in your party, starting Dead Money returns 'im to Primm and spits you out afterwards alone. So now I can finally start Honest Hearts!! Boy I hated Dead Money, sneaking and being fragile ain't what I'm here for with my Bessie.

Gvaz

Banned
There is literally so many that I couldn't list them all.

I haven't played since a little after the game came out, and way before dead money came out so any suggestions I could give you are probably outdated.

teiresias

Good thing this game was cheap at D2D, because it's a piece of crap. I was able to launch the game once and ever since the launcher crashes every time I launch it. I've tried most every solution I can find online and NOTHING works. It just crashes over and over again every time I try to launch it from Steam.

Anyone know anything about this launcher crash issue? It cites GameOverlayRenderer.dll, but I've disabled the Steam in-game stuff via the properties in Steam, so unless there's a separate option to disable the overlay I'm at a loss for what else to do.

I wish I could actually launch this damn game again.

Plasmid

Lord_Nergal said:
So, do we have any news on a release date for Old World Blues? HH was released on the 17th last month, and here we are a month later with no news.

I don't think there's any news yet, but it's thursday, it'd be logical for next week.

But i think the very last dlc comes out the last week of july though.

duckroll

There will be a patch for NV out soon, before OWB is released. It's supposed to be a huge bugfix and performance patch which fixes tons of outstanding bugs, and improves performance and memory usage. Jason Bergman has been taking about it on the Bethesda NV boards. Sounds good.

XNarte

Just got this game and am loving it so far. I'm not too knowledgeable of the world of fallout but are all vehicles in the country inoperable? Because for Fallout 4 I would love to see some Mad Max-style desert driving on motorcycles. It would be kind of like the horses in Elder Scrolls, only I can see cool missions and combat based around it.

Dead Man

duckroll said:
There will be a patch for NV out soon, before OWB is released. It's supposed to be a huge bugfix and performance patch which fixes tons of outstanding bugs, and improves performance and memory usage. Jason Bergman has been taking about it on the Bethesda NV boards. Sounds good.
Just in time for my second playthrough, nice. I thought I better give it another go, since I love the world so much, maybe I was just burned out on Fallout when I played it first time.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
teiresias said:
Good thing this game was cheap at D2D, because it's a piece of crap. I was able to launch the game once and ever since the launcher crashes every time I launch it. I've tried most every solution I can find online and NOTHING works. It just crashes over and over again every time I try to launch it from Steam.

Anyone know anything about this launcher crash issue? It cites GameOverlayRenderer.dll, but I've disabled the Steam in-game stuff via the properties in Steam, so unless there's a separate option to disable the overlay I'm at a loss for what else to do.

After a little digging i found a couple things on Steams forum. It appears that this is an odd bug that affects both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Personally ive never even heard of it until now. Anyway, here are some things that people report fixing.

I have fixed the problem for me by going to the fallout new vegas folder and making the compatibility mode for both .exe's to "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"

And here is a reply someone had from Bethesda
Hello,

Could you please look in C:\program files\common files for a file called asaudio, rename this file to asaudio.backup, restart your computer and then try the game.

Hopefully this helps.

Audioboxer

Have a question guys, if you tell Yes Man to ignore a faction/group, can you later change that decision?

Thanks

ps. My freezing has gotten pretty bad, dunno if game save file size has anything to do with this, mines is over 6mb now.

Gvaz

Banned
duckroll said:
That's good to know. I hope it doesn't break too many mods.

duckroll

XNarte said:
Just got this game and am loving it so far. I'm not too knowledgeable of the world of fallout but are all vehicles in the country inoperable? Because for Fallout 4 I would love to see some Mad Max-style desert driving on motorcycles. It would be kind of like the horses in Elder Scrolls, only I can see cool missions and combat based around it.

No working vehicles in the game. The engine doesn't really support stuff like that well. Chris Avellone did mention some time ago that for the DLCs, they experimented with a jetpack at one point, but it ended up being a really, really bad idea.

Dead Man

So... um.... I've done something a bit silly. I have uninstalled the game but an update was downloading in steam, and now I can't reinstall (it just validates and closes), stop or resume the update (it just remains paused), or play the game (it just says it is not available and to try later).

Am I just missing something obvious, or do I need to rummage around deleting things manually?

Echoplx

Dead Man said:
So... um.... I've done something a bit silly. I have uninstalled the game but an update was downloading in steam, and now I can't reinstall (it just validates and closes), stop or resume the update (it just remains paused), or play the game (it just says it is not available and to try later).

Am I just missing something obvious, or do I need to rummage around deleting things manually?

Restart the client and it should figure things out. If not just go to your /steamapps folder and delete fallout new vegas from there.

sikkinixx

Assistance needed. Bug perhaps?

I need to do the side quest "Booted" for Boone's 'history' stuff. I talked to Boxcar in Nipton, he tells me about the powder gangers being held. I say I will go save them, he tells me he doesn't give a fuck. But I don't get the quest! I have talked to him again and nothing. Huh?

mujun

sikkinixx said:
Assistance needed. Bug perhaps?

I need to do the side quest "Booted" for Boone's 'history' stuff. I talked to Boxcar in Nipton, he tells me about the powder gangers being held. I say I will go save them, he tells me he doesn't give a fuck. But I don't get the quest! I have talked to him again and nothing. Huh?

I don't remember that clearly but I think you just have to go over the hill to the east and find the Legion camp. Free the guys and you should get a quest cleared notice. It's a really small camp, a campfire and two or three tents.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So. I went and did some research and a ton of people have the same problem as me.

Turns out that in order to get Dead Money and HH to work, you have to erase the game data and then proceed to installing the game again without accepting the latest patch. Apparently the patch is what's causing the game to corrupt for some people. Hopefully this upcoming patch addresses that issue.

And another is the classic 12mb pack or whatever. Apparently for some people that is also causing saves to corrupt. So deleting that may help.

Anyways, yeah. I can confirm this works. So yay, I can play the game again.

sikkinixx

mujun said:
I don't remember that clearly but I think you just have to go over the hill to the east and find the Legion camp. Free the guys and you should get a quest cleared notice. It's a really small camp, a campfire and two or three tents.

I did that but got nothing for it. I haven't even gotten the quest yet. I don't think it's an unmarked one (?)

Carm

teiresias said:

That happened with Fallout 3 before I started launching the game with FOSE. I got it to stop by turning off the Steam Overlay so I dunno *shrug*. I'd suggest just downloading FOSE and FOMM and launch it that way, bypassing the launcher entirely. Hrm it hooks into the overlay so maybe it can't be bypassed?

Concept17

Just started playing this, about 3 hours in.
just got to Primm

This game, for reasons I can't really nail down, is far better than FO3. I only got about 10 hours into that game before giving up, and didn't really enjoy it at all. I'm not sure what makes this game more enjoyable. It just is.

mujun

Concept17 said:
This game, for reasons I can't really nail down, is far better than FO3. I only got about 10 hours into that game before giving up, and didn't really enjoy it at all. I'm not sure what makes this game more enjoyable. It just is.

It's about twice as good, for one thing ;)

Grinchy

Banned
I recently finished the REPCONN questline and it was awesome. I'm relatively early into the game, but I like going to random places and doing quests better than going through the main story most of the time. So I stumbled upon that and it was great.

Lothars

Concept17 said:
Just started playing this, about 3 hours in.
just got to Primm

I disgaree that it's far better, I still think that FO3 is the better game but I am looking forward to the last two DLC packs, I really liked Honest Hearts and have high hopes for the next two.

duckroll

Lothars said:
I disgaree that it's far better, I still think that FO3 is the better game but I am looking forward to the last two DLC packs, I really liked Honest Hearts and have high hopes for the next two.

I disagree that FO3 is the better game, I still think that NV is ten times the FO3 can ever hope to be and I am looking forward to the last two DLC packs, I really liked Dead Money and have high hopes for the next two.

Wallach

duckroll said:
I disagree that FO3 is the better game, I still think that NV is ten times the FO3 can ever hope to be and I am looking forward to the last two DLC packs, I really liked Dead Money and have high hopes for the next two.

I thought you never bothered playing FO3?

CyReN

I like both games but there's something about Fallout 3 that made it a lot better and made me play it so much more.

Hope they give the dlc a release date soon, I have 600 MS points that expire at the end of the month..

duckroll

CyReN said:
I like both games but there's something about Fallout 3 that made it a lot better and made me play it so much more.

Hope they give the dlc a release date soon, I have 600 MS points that expire at the end of the month..

Aren't the DLCs 800 points each?

Moobabe

CyReN said:

What's the something? I just picked up NV and the quality of writing is instantly better and adds so much to the sense of place. Characters have, for want of a better expression, 'character' - I'm interested in what they have to say, they speak in dialect, use slang and have actual motivations.

And the story is already better as well.

duckroll

Lakitu said:
Getting towards the end of June now. Where's OWB? :(

They said there'll be a patch real soon, and they'll announce OWB's release date after that. So... hopefully there'll be something this coming week? :(

kai3345 said:
why does duckroll hate bethesda?

I don't really hate them, I just dislike the games they make and their design philosophy. It's nothing personal, since there are other people who enjoy their games fine. I don't like what I see or read about their games, and I certainly don't enjoy the ones I have played in the past.

CyReN

duckroll said:
Aren't the DLCs 800 points each?

Yea they are, I still have 600 expiring and I would pay for the extra 200. Still don't know how I have MS points expiring..

(no sarcasm btw)

Moobabe said:
What's the something? I just picked up NV and the quality of writing is instantly better and adds so much to the sense of place. Characters have, for want of a better expression, 'character' - I'm interested in what they have to say, they speak in dialect, use slang and have actual motivations.

I like the simplicity of the F3 story, in FNV the factions thing was nice at the beginning but it just annoying and tedious towards the end. Another thing is they don't have a "Broken Steel" DLC which hurts it. Still a really good game though.

duckroll

disappeared said:
duckroll, would you mind dropping the tagline from the thread title? I think it's kind of overstayed its welcome.

How so? They're still doing what Bethesda doesn't. Each DLC pack continues to prove that.

Dead Man

Moobabe said:

Well, the story is kind of crap in both, to me.

Top Bottom